Status
Not open for further replies.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
I didn't cross paths with Z much, being a relative newcomer around here, but what really stood out for me was his sense of humor... which is sort of why I felt a need say this:

I get the feeling he'd find it amusing that, of all days, today was the one that it finally dawned on me why people call him Catpire.

icepoet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2012
Houston, Texas, United States
I remember many conversations - not all of which I joined, but enjoyed reading - and was always struck by how pleasant, friendly, and helpful this guy with the zombie-vampire, and later catpire, avatar was.

I recall how I once asked what battery to get for my first tube mod. Z told me what to get and where, for a great price. A small thing, but it made my life a little easier.

And that's how a lot of us seem to remember him, for the small everyday kindnesses that ease the worry of a stressful world. I hope this virtual place did the same for him.

I can only rest knowing that Z - Phil - has awoken from the dream of this life to a larger truth, a gentler place, where pain is not even a memory. Godspeed, my friend.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
It's been 16 hours since I learned you left us Z. And I still can't believe it. I don't think I ever will. I think of all the times we wrote each other on the thread and in private and I kept telling you to fight those Demons. Never give up. Never let them win. Never let them take you down. But it was always easy for me to say. I didn't have to live day after day in pain. They can't hurt you anymore Z. You won. You left your mark on me. You taught me to be brave. To be happy in the face of pain. To be the toughest son of a ..... I know how. I coined you the Catpire because of your picture. But more fitting, in life you were someone who could fight the Demons who wanted to take you down yet you were soft and warm inside. So few people can do that. Thank you for teaching me. God Bless you! I miss you Catpire!

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
As I mentioned on THE BIG THREAD how awkward it felt to be shedding tears for someone you never met, save through text messages on a forum. Z_Ghost (Phil) was a mentor to many of us who were new to vaping and to HHV he gave sound advice and was never condescending to us newbies. I enjoyed reading his comments and chatting with him while I was ending my day at work and I'll always remember his love for good food that he was always sorry for eating afterwards.

The Night Shift on HHV's BIG THREAD is darker now and lonelier without his presence - you are missed Z_Ghost as is your pet Catpire.
My prayers go out to his family and friends - take comfort in his memory and know that he is not suffering any more.

Last edited:

Bodach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Georgia
I don't know what to say. I was still getting to know him. He was always so kind to me, and understood my humor, even when I was being over-the-top silly. Every time I would see that avatar respond to me, I would smile before even reading the message. I would loved to have met him.

Dammit, just a good person.

No words. RIP.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Please, let me know if I'm wrong but I think this was Z_Ghost's last post on the forum - only nine days before he passed away:

Hi all, I'm still alive but have been dealing with the flu.
First it was a stomach virus then the flu and to top that all off we get the new punch press in and been having to deal with the programming software not working right.
So it's kind of been a bad 2 weeks.

It's cool to see we got a sub forum for us.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
So sorry to hear this. I didn't know Philip, but I see how much he impacted all of you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

That was nice Amy. Philip was a great guy. You would have liked him very much. He was a big part of the Army to be sure and he's left a big hole in this forum.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Wow, I’ve missed so much in the big thread lately. I remember him saying he wasn't feeling too good just the other day. I didn't realize what had happened until I started noticing everyone I was talking with today had the same avatar.

Thoughts and prayers out to his family. Sad to see a member of the army go. Hope he’s in a better place and he’s vaping the good stuff.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
from what i read he died from the flu?

was there some underlying conditions on top of that?

Yes YoTone. Z suffered from Crohn's Disease. He suffered quite a bit from it. He was on Humira which afflicts his immune system. He got the flu and it persisted and his body simply could not fight it off and it ultimately took his life. Z was only 55. He was a very nice person and a very big part of our HHV community. He is missed greatly.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Not necessarily. It's not that simple. Yes, it sucks. It's a risk Crohn's patients take. Suffer from the disease or take meds that break down your immune system. Just not fair!

I do not know the details at all, I'm not sure anyone here knows specifics, but Humira is an immunosuppressant, which can suppress enough to not react to any vaccine (your body needs to be making antibodies in order for a vaccine to be effective).

I do know he was one of my top 10 favorite people here, and I was missing him a good month before he left this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread