Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
lol questions are quite fine with me :)
I have two more nipple top 18650s I will play around with and measure them. The spring is clean and never collapsed or anything. The only weird thing I have noticed but has been since new was that when I slide the door up the battery seems get pulled a little towards the door because of the magnets, but happens when I slide the door down from the top as well. But has never seemed to be a problem in the past, just putting it out there.
Check your spring if its sitting close to the bottom this can effect how it sits in the mod . A easy fix is to loosen the screw and adjust the spring so the center of the spring in higher . You want the center of the coil a little higher then the center of the battery

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
North Eastern Pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply, I did check the spring and adjust it up as much as I could without popping it off of the holder. I don't have anything to compare the spring height with though because I cant remember how it was when I originally got it. The battery is tight enough where it doesn't sag or fall out without the cover on. I have been getting lots of sparking lately though. I'm thinking to order a few more 18650s just to make sure its not the top of the battery getting smashed down by the telescopic mods I have.
I'll check how it is with the adjusted spring today and report back. Thanks :)

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for the reply, I did check the spring and adjust it up as much as I could without popping it off of the holder. I don't have anything to compare the spring height with though because I cant remember how it was when I originally got it. The battery is tight enough where it doesn't sag or fall out without the cover on. I have been getting lots of sparking lately though. I'm thinking to order a few more 18650s just to make sure its not the top of the battery getting smashed down by the telescopic mods I have.
I'll check how it is with the adjusted spring today and report back. Thanks :)

nepatitian, if the battery sags or falls out without the cover on, then there's definitely something wrong. The spring WILL hold the battery in tightly. If the battery is loose, or falls out when you have your door off, then there's something wrong with the spring. Is the spring discolored AT ALL? Is there a darker spot in the middle of it? If so, then it's been collapsed already and somebody just pulled it back up. If it is discolored at all, then you really need a new spring because that one wouldn't work correctly if you had a short. It's for protection, and once it's been collapsed, it won't work right again. Springs are cheap.....go to reosmods.com and order a couple.
I don't mean to .... in here, but when you said "sags or falls out" that was a red flag. It shouldn't ever sag or fall out.

Jan

Last edited:

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Hey Jan no need to apologize for helping out :)
The battery does not sag or fall out with the door off, but one thing I did notice was that the positive connection, instead of being at an angle where it hits the battery is a 90 degree bend, I tried to re bend it but its still acting the same. Do you think the rebuild kit would be sufficient or should I try more to play with the contact point?
Thanks again all!!!

ps going to take a pic of the contact point, all the pics I'm seeing online are at an angle not at a 90 degree.
Here are pics of the positive contact point (its not ground down, just the angle I shot it at) and the spring (not sure if someone can tell if that is not as high as it should be) Vaping - Imgur

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Well, from what I can tell, they look okay. I couldn't see any discoloration on the spring. I didn't see any Noalox on the pos post....and I really think Noalox on it would help. It'll stop the sparking altogether usually. Did you wash the Grand under hot water? Take out the battery and the bottle and the atty, and just run it under hot water for awhile. While you're doing that, push the button down several times to get any gunk out of there. THEN put a dab of Noalox on the tip of the pos. connection. Sometimes I put a dab of Noalox on the nipple of the battery. If all that doesn't work, then it seems to me it just has to be bad batteries. The thing is, a Grand will work even if you have a flathead battery (no nipple)......you just have to push the button down a little more to make the contact. So it's hard to believe that the battery would have been somehow compromised enough to cause this just by using it in another mod. I mean, if a flathead battery will work, it'd be hard to "smash" a battery top bad enough to get it not to work. I think Noalox is the secret on this one. Do you have some? You can get it at Lowe's or Ace Hardware or Home Depot in the electrical section. Cheap. Worth it.
Keep us posted; we're all challenged by a good mystery. It's hard to mess up one of these mechanical Grands, so I'm sure we can collectively figure this out! :)

Jan

If you can't find any Noalox locally, PM me your address and I'll send you some. Will be just as fast as ordering a huge quantity on line. All you need is a tiny drop of it.

Last edited:

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Jan, I have been putting noalox on it the past few days, after taking it apart and cleaning then checking the function of the switch with the switch holder out. I clean it all out then put fresh noalox back on, I didn't have any in the picture because I was trying to bend the positive connection a little bit so I had scraped most of it off. I'm going to wash it out again per your instructions and try again, should I put the noalox on just the tip or kinda rub it around a bit. I remember when first getting the grand that it had noalox on it from the bend down to the tip.
Thanks again for the help and will try a flat top that i have here.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I didn't realize you were already adding Noalox...I just didn't see any in the pic so assumed.... :blush: Now I'm pretty much thinking batteries. Your batteries meter out fine, right? I've actually even put Noalox on the spring....well, not the spring, but the screw that holds the spring in, where the screw threads touch the body of the Grand. Probably wouldn't really make a difference.

Stumper for sure. There's just gotta be something we're missing......

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
ya know I'm thinking, if you go back and look at the bottom of the spring, there is a bit of rust on it, maybe filing that off and adding some noalox to it like you said. If that doesn't work I think I'm going to order new batteries and possibly get the rebuild kit as well just to make sure. lol as I have been using it non stop since I got the reomizer 2.0

Edit: Just washed it out again, whatever was on the bottom of the spring holder wasn't rust, used a tooth brush to clean off everything and it came of without an issue so rust it was not lol.

Letting it dry out then will noaloax it and try again. Yes the batteries are coming off charge around 4.1-4.2 volts

Last edited:

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Okay a little update, a good one at that lol.
I the grand down and washed it out again in hot water taking care to brush the spring atty connector and positive connector. Let it dry out and put noalox on the screw for the spring (ty Jan) also put more (not a glob but more than enough) than I normally would have on the positive connector. Put a battery in and fired it up and it was fantastic again. No missfires and no power surges, and that was 5 hours ago so its still going strong even after just putting a new battery in. Have fingers crossed lol.
I'm not sure what that stuff was on the bottom of the spring (the rust colored stuff)

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Okay a little update, a good one at that lol.
I the grand down and washed it out again in hot water taking care to brush the spring atty connector and positive connector. Let it dry out and put noalox on the screw for the spring (ty Jan) also put more (not a glob but more than enough) than I normally would have on the positive connector. Put a battery in and fired it up and it was fantastic again. No missfires and no power surges, and that was 5 hours ago so its still going strong even after just putting a new battery in. Have fingers crossed lol.
I'm not sure what that stuff was on the bottom of the spring (the rust colored stuff)

That's fantastic!

Sometimes people let juices collect in the bottom of the REO's. I have bought many used and found a juice mess like you described. My juices are dark, very dark, and I do notice they could be mistaken for rust if they are allowed to dry inside the REO.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
That does make sense because I was on occasion cleaning some liquid out of the bottom.

That's fantastic!

Sometimes people let juices collect in the bottom of the REO's. I have bought many used and found a juice mess like you described. My juices are dark, very dark, and I do notice they could be mistaken for rust if they are allowed to dry inside the REO.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
I thought that might have been the issue as well but tried moving it around while firing the device but didn't seem to make a difference.
The only time that ever happened to me is when I didn't have my atty screwed down tight enough. It's when I used a fat oring under the atty. I just tightened it down a little (don't force it) and it worked perfect.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I spoke to early lol, the power is surging again. Helps if I take the cover off and push the batter towards the back of the mod.

I marked the battery I was previously using, waiting for it to charge and try it again later to see if I get the same thing.

You never stated what kind of battery you were using. Also you did say you were charging them every day. Why? Were you using them in other mods?

Why are you charging the battery that was working well? How long did it take to drop down to a charging level?

Older batteries will lose charge quickly.

I am wondering if you would have these problems with the AW IMR.

nepatitan

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
They are aw imrs.
Yes I charge them probably once a day, I have 3 aws that i use for the reo. I change them out often because I work from home and vape all day. I'm vaping around I usually take them out and charge them when I start to notice a significant drop off in heat. My coils are around .7 ohms
You never stated what kind of battery you were using. Also you did say you were charging them every day. Why? Were you using them in other mods?

Why are you charging the battery that was working well? How long did it take to drop down to a charging level?

Older batteries will lose charge quickly.

I am wondering if you would have these problems with the AW IMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread