Replacement spring ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
This is total brainstorming here. It began with a sleep-deprivation-fueled debate between my roomie & me, which I thought we'd settled until I looked on ECF to check out conclusions and the only 2 posts I could find (2012 & 2014, both closed to comments) seemed to disagree. So here goes...

Mech mod, spring switch, materials... Variety really doesn't matter as it's just a theoretical question, call it a generic negative-ground spring switch

Could Kanthal be used as a spring?

Obviously not ideal as re: "springy strength" lacking.

But the debate was re whether a conductive wire could be used. My vote is yes, it has to be conductive, because the spring/the switch as a whole/the mod as a whole as to have less resistance than any potential coil setup to avoid hot button or worse... Of course it'd have to be low gauge and probably 2-3 "springs" made & combined into one (make em, twist em so they cuddle up and occupy the same space, you get what I'm saying even tho idk how to say it, right?) so as to keep the resistance low, same idea as like dual/quad coils, more pathways for electrons to flow thru will exponentially decrease the resistance of the whole, yes?
Anyway... Her vote was no, it shouldn't be conductive, because it seemed dangerous. We debated a while (we do that often, on totally random asinine topics, especially when we are both insomniacs for long periods of time) and she ended up agreeing with me. Then today I randomly looked online to see if anyone had done it etc to see if we were right...and both those old threads said no, as one "shouldn't have a coil attached to your battery." Um, what? Somebody smarter than me solve this, would ya?

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
The threads here may have just meant that it "shouldn't be a coil" as in should ideally be non-resistant wire...but it sounded more like they were saying it should be non-conductive wire, which to me makes zero sense, as itd land you with an always-open circuit, wouldn't it?
Anyway, there was enough confusion in how it was stated to make me want to ask for an end to this pointless question lmao

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
in most bottom fired mechs, a conducting spring would be part of the design.

springs are usually conductive metals anyway so switch mechanisms using springs usually either rely on or account for the conductivity of the spring.

on some switches, spring conductivity is not required; depends on the switch.

Reactions: mamabear15

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
In some mechanical mods, the manufacturer uses a so-called "hot spring". This spring is designed to collapse at a certain temperature to stop contact with the battery should the mod or battery get too hot, hopefully preventing a full blown thermal runaway event.

If you mod was designed to use a hot spring as a safety feature, then the specific spring needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
In some mechanical mods, they use a so-called "hot spring". This spring is designed to collapse at a certain temperature to stop contact with the battery should the mod or battery get too hot, hopefully preventing a full blown thermal runaway event.

If you mod was designed to use a hot spring as a safety feature, then the specific spring needs to be replaced.
Hadn't thought of that at all - thanks :)

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread