Searching Mech Mod (Parallel or Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Ever heard of hard hitting mods? Thats because it has a little voltage drop. Copper or Silver are the best ones. However there is nothing perfect, thats ehy you wont get 4.2 Volt

Okay, 90% of the "hard hitter" is flat out marketing hype bs. There is more voltage loss inside the battery SAG than from the atty to battery, especially in a mech of quality worth using.

The whole point in counting at 4.2v is for safety, to keep you under the CDR. The CDR is not the limit that as Mooch has said, the battery will fail or blow up. The CDR is just the point that the manufacturer has said this battery can be used best for power and cycle life, going over the CDR can and will cause the battery to have a shorter lifespan (overall not not between charges).

The fact is no one knows what the safest limit of these batteries are and it will vary battery to battery and batch to batch, not even counting A or B stock. These batteries are NOT safe but neither are other things in life (again watch Mooch epi 1). There are things that can be done to increase safety in use of these batteries, it's up to you on what you feel is safe.

If you want to hope there is voltage drop to keep you safe, good for you. I'm not going to count on something that I cannot measure and/or change from time to time. Same reason I don't use pulse ratings, they are only good for a set time in a controlled environment. That again is something I cannot replicate, nor can you, so it is useless and unsafe information.

I will talk with you all day long but you'd be best served watching the video first, he has gotten his information from the battery makers themselves and then tests the batteries. I will take his word and knowledge over anyone else, as he has proven charts data and his tests can be replicated (which in the world of science is the only way to prove something).

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
Okay, 90% of the "hard hitter" is flat out marketing hype bs. There is more voltage loss inside the battery SAG than from the atty to battery, especially in a mech of quality worth using.

The whole point in counting at 4.2v is for safety, to keep you under the CDR. The CDR is not the limit that as Mooch has said, the battery will fail or blow up. The CDR is just the point that the manufacturer has said this battery can be used best for power and cycle life, going over the CDR can and will cause the battery to have a shorter lifespan (overall not not between charges).

The fact is no one knows what the safest limit of these batteries are and it will vary battery to battery and batch to batch, not even counting A or B stock. These batteries are NOT safe but neither are other things in life (again watch Mooch epi 1). There are things that can be done to increase safety in use of these batteries, it's up to you on what you feel is safe.

If you want to hope there is voltage drop to keep you safe, good for you. I'm not going to count on something that I cannot measure and/or change from time to time. Same reason I don't use pulse ratings, they are only good for a set time in a controlled environment. That again is something I cannot replicate, nor can you, so it is useless and unsafe information.

I will talk with you all day long but you'd be best served watching the video first, he has gotten his information from the battery makers themselves and then tests the batteries. I will take his word and knowledge over anyone else, as he has proven charts data and his tests can be replicated (which in the world of science is the only way to prove something).
There are good materials which hit better than others.
I have not watched his videos yet, but rather informed on other (trustworthy???) Sites which obviously gave me wrong infos...
Still thanks for the long post..

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Meant fast ramp up, sorry.
I have to admit that I dont have any plan about coils. Which are good (Clapton, Alien and so on) and which arent so... I know that less wire means faster ramp up
If I were building in this situation, I’d try a dual 26 core Nichrome 80 Clapton with a 36 N80 wrap. Build space permitting, 4mm ID, parallel coils, 7 wraps each. Should come in on the money at 0.2 ohms and ramp up nicely.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Meant fast ramp up, sorry.
I have to admit that I dont have any plan about coils. Which are good (Clapton, Alien and so on) and which arent so... I know that less wire means faster ramp up
Why not start out with just a simple coil (nothing exotic like a Clapton, Alien, et al)? K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid). Exotic coils create more mass, requiring more power and increase the ramp up time.

A thinner wire gauge (ie 26 or 28) will have less mass so will have a faster ramp up time, nearly instantaneous. Use a coil wrapping calculator like Steam Engine's (link is in my blogs) to figure how many wraps you will need, what diameter coil, etc.

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
Why not start out with just a simple coil (nothing exotic like a Clapton, Alien, et al)? K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid).
Thanks. Have used some ribbon wire 0.8h 0.3w and that was pretty good (came out to 1.4 glown out) however it has not tasted so nice...

A thinner wire gauge (ie 26 or 28) will have less mass so will have a faster ramp up time, nearly instantaneous. Use a coil wrapping calculator like Steam Engine's (link is in my blogs) to figure how many wraps you will need, what diameter coil, etc.
Thanks. Have used some ribbon wire 0.8h 0.3w and that was pretty good (came out to 1.4 glown out) however it has not tasted so nice...

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
There are good materials which hit better than others.
I have not watched his videos yet, but rather informed on other (trustworthy???) Sites which obviously gave me wrong infos...
Still thanks for the long post..

I'm guessing you been hitting up VU. In the end do what you want, it's your face and you have been warned. If you feel the need to build low and need fast ramp up, get a VW device and stay away from mechs. A mech will never compete with a VW at the extreme end of sub-ohms and this is coming form someone who uses mechs daily and have for years.

There's a reason you see reputable people with super low builds running VW mods or mechs with batteries in the 2XXXX range not the 1XXXX, again do what you want, I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread