Not open for further replies.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Saw on the news last night that a new e cigarette study showed that while less likely to cause cancer, long term use of an e cigarette causes you to be twice as likely for a heart attack.

I can't remember who did the study though I do believe it was a college.

I may have to give up vaping because of my family health history. This makes me really bummed as I recently got into rdas, coil building and making my own juice.

My girlfriend wants us to quit right now after seeing that but I'm not finding it easy. Just really bummed.

Does anyone have any other info related to this?

I don't know if this is the study you're talking about, but...

Study Claiming Vaping Causes Heart Attack Risk Has Fatal Flaws

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Saw on the news last night that a new e cigarette study showed that while less likely to cause cancer, long term use of an e cigarette causes you to be twice as likely for a heart attack.

I can't remember who did the study though I do believe it was a college.

I may have to give up vaping because of my family health history. This makes me really bummed as I recently got into rdas, coil building and making my own juice.

My girlfriend wants us to quit right now after seeing that but I'm not finding it easy. Just really bummed.

Does anyone have any other info related to this?

Saw this on a local news page as well. It said that vaping was 5X's more likely to cause heart problems BUT (big but here,lol) it was for people who are dual user's (smoking and vaping).

I have to admit I am leery of studies and the page I read did not list who did the study, but it makes sense. Nicotine can cause heart problems, mainly due to increased blood pressure. If one is vaping and smoking, they are probably taking in more nicotine than a single user of either.

That of course would depending on vaping habits (amount of vaping and mg's used) and how much one smokes (pack every few days or 3 packs a day). So I can understand and maybe every say there is a very basic point here (dual use being more harmful) but at the same time say, there are too many variables to really prove anything.

Then we could go into the facts of how long it took studies to prove smoking was harmful to the heart, which was longer than people have actually been studying vaping seriously.

Here's one interesting fact to take in.....Bad oral hygiene is linked to heart disease, yet Medicaid for adults does NOT cover dental, only health and vision (vision is 1 exam every 3 years).

So all this official stuff about people's health is a ruse. They want vaping gone for health, yet don't care if people's own bodies poison them, nor do they care if people go blind since eye exams should be done yearly. Funny how safety that makes money (taxes) is important, yet safety that costs them money is ignored.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
here is the bottom line ... there is just too much dirty money they are trying to protect.

Big Gov, Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, Heart Assoc, Lung Assoc, and all the other anti-smoking lobbyists.

if Vaping proves successful to help people quit smoking (and we know it works)... it's the loss of money they are trying to save, not people's lives.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
OP, as you can tell, your source isn't credible, which is a massive understatement.

Stanton Glantz is a wacko tobacco control activist that uses his 'position' of authority to forward unsubstantiated smear propaganda.
His entire routine is a farce.

PS & BTW, you should always break links to junk science.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
PS & BTW, you should always break links to junk science.

Calling that mess junk science is being unfair to junk science. That steaming pile of fabricated nonsense has less value than used toilet paper. I agree the link should be broken.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
More about the architect of that misinformation:
Stanton Glantz is a Professor of Tobacco Control and Principal Investigator for the $20 million 5 year Tobacco Centers of Regulatory Science (TCORS) that was funded in September 2013 as part of a first-of-its-kind tobacco science regulatory program by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the National Institutes of Health.

So it is quite literally his job to find fault in tobacco related products and then advise the FDA on how best to regulate it. This makes him and especially his blatant dishonesty very dangerous to us and all smokers who may yet still decide to quit smoking by vaping, assuming Glantz doesn't destroy vaping before then. Considering TCORS 5 year charter is up in September, we can most likely expect Glantz to be very active this year in an attempt to get more funding to extend the charter.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I recommend that you discuss it with your doctor next visit you make to him.

I see a primary care doctor twice a year. A cardiologist once a year. A dermatologist once a year. A urologist once a year. Yes when you get old and have a history of smoking for 45 years, they want to see you regularly.

I have gotten lectures from all of them on the dangers of smoking. I switched to vaping almost 2 years ago now. I have discussed it with those medical professionals. Not one of them has lectured me on the dangers of vaping.

The primary care doctor approved of the switch saying vaping could be useful for quitting smoking. Said that smoking could cause heart disease and cancer. Stated that there was no proven link to nicotine and cancer. That nicotine can increase blood pressure and heartbeat rate but that there was inconclusive evidence of it causing heart disease. Stated not vaping would be preferable but that it was far less risk than smoking. He also told me to drink decaf coffee.....like that will happen...

The Cardiologist basically the same thing as the primary care. They urologist too. The dermatologist had no opinion other than don't smoke cigarettes.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I recommend that you discuss it with your doctor next visit you make to him.

I see a primary care doctor twice a year. A cardiologist once a year. A dermatologist once a year. A urologist once a year. Yes when you get old and have a history of smoking for 45 years, they want to see you regularly.

I have gotten lectures from all of them on the dangers of smoking. I switched to vaping almost 2 years ago now. I have discussed it with those medical professionals. Not one of them has lectured me on the dangers of vaping.

The primary care doctor approved of the switch saying vaping could be useful for quitting smoking. Said that smoking could cause heart disease and cancer. Stated that there was no proven link to nicotine and cancer. That nicotine can increase blood pressure and heartbeat rate but that there was inconclusive evidence of it causing heart disease. Stated not vaping would be preferable but that it was far less risk than smoking. He also told me to drink decaf coffee.....like that will happen...

The Cardiologist basically the same thing as the primary care. They urologist too. The dermatologist had no opinion other than don't smoke cigarettes.

In general I agree with this, but be warned, some doctors may read the same bovine excrement from Glantz that you did, believe it, and then try to inform you how dangerous vaping is based on that non-sense. So if your Dr. starts talking about how bad vaping is, ask him where he got the information, and if he cites a Glantz study, or Facebook, or CNN, then ignore anything else he says about vaping b/c he is uneducated on the topic and you may as well be getting your vaping advice directly from Facebook.

G-Fog

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2016
Canterbury, New Zealand
When I read a scientifically proven, and peer reviewed study that categorically and conclusively shows that vaping actually causes any harm at all, then I will stop vaping. Until then any "could or may" studies are of no interest to me.
I could be knocked over by a bus, is very different from, I will be knocked over by a bus.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Oh here is another fun read about Glantz: The academic scandal hiding within the Stanton Glantz sexual harassment scandal

The first half isn't as interesting as the second half. Also from the comments people point out how much of Glantz's research money comes DIRECTLY from tobacco taxes he helps to impose. In other words the more he can talk Federal, State, Local governments into taxing tobacco related products, the more money he gets. Can you say "conflict of interest"?

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Well, in Glanz's defense, it does seem like a lot of people decided to quit smoking, start vaping and permanently plant themselves in front of the computer pumping out reviews between Happy Meals......:eek:

I've never had a Happy Meal but would be willing to try one if they really made me happy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread