Side Effects from quitting the Analogs... When is it going to happen? What have you experienced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TH'er

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2012
In the Ocean
Ok.

So... I'm smoke free for the first time in 28yrs "Thanks to E-Cigs" Yeah !!!

Due to purchasing a quality item....

I feel that if I bought a "Cheapy" ecig and it tasted terrible, That I would not try to quit smoking with an ecig again for a long time.. And I would most likely be back to smoking regular cigarettes until something else came by.

I've read through this thread, Which talks about side effects from quitting Cigarettes.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

But so far the only side effects that I've noticed are "Positive ones" Smell, Taste: (still working on that one), Breathing better.

When can I expect to start feeling the Negitave side effects?

What "Negitave" side effects have you encountered so far from quitting Regular Cigarettes?

Last edited:

Leal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2010
Montana
I noticed both times when I stopped smoking I got sick. Not horribly but a noticeable chest and head cold. I think the negative symptoms really vary from person to person. Last week I hit a wall of sorts and started experiencing some mild depression. As long as it doesn't hang on I'm going to look at it as a good sign. I stopped smoking on 11-27-12 but the depression is likely post acute withdrawal and will likely fade when my body and brain finds its new normal that doesn't include cigarettes. It is a good idea to be prepared for changes that will happen but don't make my mistake and go looking for problems. The switch can be uncomfortable for some, but come here and talk about it there will be some one to listen and give advice.

LisaR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
Martinez, CA
I had the "quitting smoking cough" for a bit. It started a week or two after I stopped cigarettes, and I had kind of a gunky cough. About 3 weeks later, suddenly it was gone. Also, a couple of weeks in, I was suddenly VERY dehydrated, so drink lots of water. After a month or so, I suddenly (part way through my very favorite wet burrito doused in hot salsa) realized that my tolerance for spicy foods was very much diminished. I wish I had known that was going to happen BEFORE I dumped all the salsa on it! Other than that, it's all good, so far! Honestly, I would have expected far more negative effects, as I smoked, like you, for close to 30 years. Oh, beware. The increased sense of smell is not always a good thing.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't have any negative side effects when I switched after smoking for 37 years. Did it over about a week. My smoker's cough lasted maybe a few months. Colds got much less severe and shorter in duration. I remember taste/smell started coming back after a week or two. Breathing became much better. All good! Best of luck with it TH'er!

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
Oh, beware. The increased sense of smell is not always a good thing.

you got that right !

ifart.jpg

X:WP

Dec 31, 2012
Neverland, Texas
I switched from tobacco cigarettes to a vaporizer using 100% pg liquid. The opening of my throat got a bit dry and sore, but only a bit. Felt the second day kind of like I was coming down with a cold (icky feeling and run down), but that disappeared by the next day. Lost the dry sore throat after I started drinking more water through the day. Really just one or two more cups, which I needed to do anyway. Got all better. Switched to 20/80 vg/pg since. Haven't seen a recurrence, and I feel marvelous! <3

jmalone

Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Minnesota
My only problem was mouth and tongue sores/ulcers for about the first few weeks. Painful and irritating as heck, but I knew (thanks to this forum!) that they'd run their course, which they did. If you've gotten through the first month without any negative side effects, you're probably not going to experience any at all (lucky you!).

Vape loud and vape proud! :banana:

Vapira

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2011
Ohio
My only problem was mouth and tongue sores/ulcers for about the first few weeks. Painful and irritating as heck, but I knew (thanks to this forum!) that they'd run their course, which they did. If you've gotten through the first month without any negative side effects, you're probably not going to experience any at all (lucky you!).

Vape loud and vape proud! :banana:

I did too! It was awful but the pain was worth the gain for sure.

Vapira

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I had a bad bout of acne and got treatment for a year. I think a person has to have a potential for something like that in the first place. Like a potential for depression or something. Most the side affects are food enough to outweigh the bad ones. The worst being that acne and then having to loose 30 pounds and keep it off without nicotine. Why I chewed gum for 10 years. Paid for itself in the savings on the all the groceries here! I'm a tall size 12. (. : and I don't smoke. That's an accomplishment. It has to be that way or I get depressed because I get depressed soooo easy! Even antihistimines can throw me in to a downward spiral. I'd be so hard on myself if I smoked cigs. Really good for self esteem quitting things like smoking.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Everyone's body chemistry is different. I was sore as hell for 2-3 days about 3 weeks into it and attribute it to those other 3999 chemicals leaving my body.

I also noticed difficulty concentrating for a week or so but thats since passed.

You might notice any combination of symptoms listed here or none at all it just depends.

Crazyinariz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Getting my sense of smell back is definitely a positive but the jury is still out on my tastebuds. Since I quit analogs I can no longer eat Taco Bell and I've been redoing all my recipes. Redoing the recipes has been a royal pita. Recipes that have been awesome for 20+ yrs I now have to redo because I was waaaay overspicing everything....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread