Sigelei Zmax V3 and V5 Telescopic: User's Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

icebat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
KS
Well I received my zmax v5 today from desert vapes! I ordered it last Thursday. It has the metal button, and both battery caps if anyone was interested. Been off the cigs for 9 days now. :toast: It's my first mod, and I'm loving it so far.

Anyone use their's in exclusively 18350 mode? Trying to get an idea of what kind of battery life to expect. Using a 1.5 ohm kayfun build at around 10 watts.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Well I received my zmax v5 today from desert vapes! I ordered it last Thursday. It has the metal button, and both battery caps if anyone was interested. Been off the cigs for 9 days now. :toast: It's my first mod, and I'm loving it so far.

Anyone use their's in exclusively 18350 mode? Trying to get an idea of what kind of battery life to expect. Using a 1.5 ohm kayfun build at around 10 watts.

In 18350 mode I get less than half the battery life of an 18650. 800mah vs 2000mah.

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS

Depends how much you vape, but at them ohms and watts, a 18350 won't last very long, that is the same ohm and watts I vape at, and I get maybe 8-9 hours on a 2000mah 18650 battery.

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    I use about a five second draw. I'm also using 2.0 ohm cartos in a tank. I could get better battery life with 2.4 ohms but the Smok cartos I like aren't available in that resistance. My batteries are nearly a year old but because I have six in regular rotation I don't think the capacity is falling off yet.

icebat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    In 18350 mode I get less than half the battery life of an 18650. 800mah vs 2000mah.

Depends how much you vape, but at them ohms and watts, a 18350 won't last very long, that is the same ohm and watts I vape at, and I get maybe 8-9 hours on a 2000mah 18650 battery.

Battery life will be different for everyone. I vape 6.5 watts and about 2.5ml per day. An 18350 800mAh lasts me 2-3 hours. 18500 1100mAh lasts at least six hours. 18650 2000mAh lasts at least 12 hours.

Thanks for the response guys. I guess I'll have to just go based on my own experience. I vaped on the v5 for about 4.5 hours last night and the battery life was showing 3.5 Volts. Is that a good time to recharge, or can I go a little lower?

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    Thanks for the response guys. I guess I'll have to just go based on my own experience. I vaped on the v5 for about 4.5 hours last night and the battery life was showing 3.5 Volts. Is that a good time to recharge, or can I go a little lower?
    There are vapers who recharge batteries when they hit 3.7V. This idea has merit because batteries recharged at 3.7V will last for more charge cycles than batteries charged at 3.2V.

The Sigelei Zmax will show Low Vol (low battery voltage) on the display if fired at about 3.3V or less on the battery and will refuse to fire when the battery hits 3.2V. The last few draws before 3.2V is reached may be accompanied by misfires or weak vapor.

Ultimately, the choice of when to recharge the battery before it hits 3.2V is up to the user. I rather run them down to 3.3 or 3.2V. I may get fewer charge cycles out of the battery but the longer run times between battery changes are worth it to me.

The voltage regulation on the Sigeleis is extremely good. I don't notice any difference in vapor quality or vapor production at battery voltages of 4.2V or 3.3V.

Last edited:

icebat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    There are vapers who recharge batteries when they hit 3.7V. This idea has merit because batteries recharged at 3.7V will last for more charge cycles than batteries charged at 3.2V.

The Sigelei Zmax will show Low Vol (low battery voltage) on the display if fired at about 3.3V or less on the battery and will refuse to fire when the battery hits 3.2V. The last few draws before 3.2V is reached may be accompanied by misfires or weak vapor.

Ultimately, the choice of when to recharge the battery before it hits 3.2V is up to the user. I rather run them down to 3.3 or 3.2V. I may get fewer charge cycles out of the battery but the longer run times between battery changes are worth it to me.

The voltage regulation on the Sigeleis is extremely good. I don't notice any difference in vapor quality or vapor production at battery voltages of 4.2V or 3.3V.

More excellent information yzer! Thanks again. I don't really understand what you mean about recharging at 3.7 to get more charge cycles out of the battery. Wouldn't you be charging the battery more often?

VapieDan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Flint, Michigan, United States

The main thing is charge them in a safe timely manner!

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    More excellent information yzer! Thanks again. I don't really understand what you mean about recharging at 3.7 to get more charge cycles out of the battery. Wouldn't you be charging the battery more often?
    Yes, you are right. My choice of wording wasn't the best. It was something I read at the Battery University site some time ago. I should have written that Li-ion batts including IMR will show a loss of capacity faster if recharged when they hit 3.2V rather than 3.7V. The rule of thumb is that these batteries will last for about 300 charge cycles before showing a noticeable drop in capacity.

icebat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Yes, you are right. My choice of wording wasn't the best. It was something I read at the Battery University site some time ago. I should have written that Li-ion batts including IMR will show a loss of capacity faster if recharged when they hit 3.2V rather than 3.7V. The rule of thumb is that these batteries will last for about 300 charge cycles before showing a noticeable drop in capacity.

I gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. :toast:

Gallant

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Thanks to those who have posted info regarding more vendors for V3 and V5. These are new to us at this thread. If you purchase from one of these let us know how it went. Info on delivery and detailing (metal button, logos, etc.) are always appreciated.
    Got mine today in black chrome which looks great, as you requested delivery was great less than a week from California to Canada no issues @ customs unit came with a trust fire multifunctional 2 bay charger, Samsung 1CR 18650-26F battery & davide clearo

DSC00367.jpg DSC00370.jpg DSC00371.jpg

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    @ yzer
    You are the thread starter & most active member in this thread I was hoping to hear your feedback on the unit I just got, thanks in advance.
    Your Sigelei V3 looks good and looks like a new production model with the removable top cap and probably with the current firmware. You have the Sigelei etched logo and plastic button. Current buttons are either plastic or metal. All extra items included in kits from most vendors I've seen are a mixed bag. I use carto tanks so a clearo isn't needed. The Samsung 18650 is an ICR battery. I use only IMR batteries for the sake of safety (but would certainly consider a better hybrid type). The Trustfire charger is inexpensive. Some vapers won't touch them. Personally, I used a Trustfire TR-001 for a couple of years before upgrading to a Nitecore Intellicharger i-4 for $17. Viper Vape offers a 30-day return policy for defective mods, so that's OK.

Gallant

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Dec 4, 2013
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Thank you much for your feedback, after charging the battery I put it to the test on 8watts Innokin iClear 30B @ 2.1 ohms no issues at all no misfiring so far.
    Next step is Im upgrading to Nitecore Intellicharger i-4 & Efest 18650 30A 2100mAh Battery or AW IMR 18650 3.7v 2000mAh & may consider Panasonic IMR Hybrid High Drain 18650 2250mah what do you think?

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    I haven't tried the Efest 18650 30A 2100mAh but people here on ECF seem to really like them. Same goes for hybrids... I've only bought IMRs except for the generic blue 18650s that came with my first Sigelei kit. I don't know what they are. The Nitecore is a good buy. I bought mine from Amazon without the 12V car plug. The Trustfire TR-001 I used for a couple of years got to the point that it wouldn't charge batteries past 4.14V. Even worse, it never completely shut down after hitting the target voltage. If I forget to remove the batteries after charging trickle charging would take the batteries past 4.2V after several hours. Not good. When the Nitecore hits the target voltage it shuts down completely.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread