• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Single Coil vs Dual Coil vs Quad Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currynoah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think it's a matter of versatility.

If I have a mechanical mod running 18650 high drain battery, I would go dual coils of 1.6ohm.

If I have a variable wattage/voltage device, I would go single coil 3ohm, and push 12 watts.

But that's just me. No preference.

Is there a poll somewhere? :laugh:

Minzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Syonando
So there are 3 main categories for coil builds: Single, Dual and Quad coil.

What are the pros and cons of each category?
What is your personal preference? :)

I believe the more number of coils, the lower the resistance. So gotta take care of your battery safety. So it doesnt blow up.
Lower ohms = warmer vape, more vapour production, uses battery very quickly.

Thats what i'm lead to believe anyway.

loll88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Single coils are really good for flavor imo, as the battery wouldn't have to divide it's power into different coils so it heats up faster as well, and right as holixin and minzy mentioned, more coils also leads to battery draining faster.

To keep things simple, more coils means more power needed, battery drain faster, lower resistance (18650 high drain batteries recommended, efest, VTCs) but remember more surface area gets you more flavor and vapor production and airflow is key.

My personal preference would be to keep things sweet and simple, braided or twisted dual coil builds running between 0.2 to 0.4 ohms, braids and twisted because more juice can be vaporized due to the gaps between those braids or twists. Dual parallel are sweet too it's like preferring girls who dress up over the GND. Hahaha

Since wires are cheap, just try out the different builds, and choose it yourself as long as you stay safe. For temperature it's really up to the user as I may find it a cool vape but you may find it being a warm to hot vape. If you wanna cloud chase as a start I would suggest getting wide bore out drip tips with air flow so that the vape can sort of cool down, as you get use to the heat, you can just vape it off the top cap without any drip tip also can. Cheers!

arc323

Jan 2, 2015
Denver, CO
I have always used dual coils in all of my RDAs. I did a tri-coil build in my stillare and it was OK but not too great. I tried quad coils in my MutXv2 and it didn't really stand out to me as being beneficial.

My favorite build in my MutXv2 is 24g or 26g parallel coils around a 1.8mm screwdriver. This gives me a warm vape with big clouds and nice flavor. Another good build is 24g or 22g wire wrapped 5 times around a 1.8mm screwdriver. It's a solid build but can get hot.

A cooler build for me is 24g twisted with 28g wrapped 5 times on the 1.8 mm screwdriver. This gives a little better flavor imo and puts out good clouds.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
V-8 engine gives ya more oomph than a measly 4-cylinder motor.

Coils its about the same - more coils, more, denser vapor at the price of higher liquid consumption.

It's no guarantee though. A well-balanced single coil setup still can outperform a shoddy dual coil.

Seems to me more like the manufacturers are pushing the multi-coil stuff. Rebuilding anything single coil is doable, even if mildly challenged in fine motorics.
But dual coil...thats a fiddling job that could drive a Tibetan monk berserk...

Currynoah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
More coil = less ohm = more fog = higher batt+juice consumption.
Me ragman only use high ohm(1.8) with 18350 to utilise juice and small size mod.
Not good creating clouds in our banland to attract attention...

Good enough, in my opinion. I'm still running 32awg 3/4 coils in my dripper with a 1mm air hole, and already I'm billowing decent vapor and finding it ridiculous to drive. Those guys running duals, triples, quads and gazillions must be walking around in their own vision of Genting Highlands.

bananasg

Nov 28, 2014
I wish I am there
would you use a thinner gauge wire for 3 ohm coil @ 12w? so you can heat up faster?

I think it's a matter of versatility.

If I have a mechanical mod running 18650 high drain battery, I would go dual coils of 1.6ohm.

If I have a variable wattage/voltage device, I would go single coil 3ohm, and push 12 watts.

But that's just me. No preference.

Is there a poll somewhere? :laugh:

Jun Andaakabaa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2014
Little Red Dot
just did a 28 gauge 1.5 ohm single on Kangertech sub tank on the RBA. Vaping at 14w on pomegranate e-juice. Nice....cool and fruity with a tinge of sweetness...

Kangertech subtank is definitely up there for favor with solid vapor production, but i'll keep an eye for leaks on the 25mm version:glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread