• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Single Coil vs Dual Coil vs Quad Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasg

Nov 28, 2014
I wish I am there
I think mine is not the mini so it will be the 25mm you are referring to. It comes with a reducer adaptor to 22mm.

But so far, I have not seen any leaks, lucky me I guess...hahaha....

Initial thoughts when I was hesitant to hook up the rba into the kanger as opposed to the replaceable. Than I thought what the heck, just give it a try, to my amazement, the flavour and the vapor production is not that bad.

To say compare to a kayfun lite or a Lemo, than I would say kangertank will lose out a bit on the flavour side.

Kangertech subtank is definitely up there for favor with solid vapor production, but i'll keep an eye for leaks on the 25mm version:glare:

Minzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Syonando
Haven't tried this twisted setup yet....how is it compares to single dual coils setup? Actually what does the "twisting" of the coil does ah?

Well, twisting wires just makes them thicker and of lower resistances. its not the same as a parallel build. By triple twisting my 30g, it comes to be almost equivalent to a 28g wire. The theory behind it is to increase the surface area of the coil in contact with the wick and liquid. should increase flavour and vapor. This video should help. i'm terrible at explaining in text. :)

http://youtu.be/TjCPQNiRVv4

Last edited:

bananasg

Nov 28, 2014
I wish I am there
Informative! Much clearer and thanks for the vidz! :toast:

Well, twisting wires just makes them thicker and of lower resistances. its not the same as a parallel build. By triple twisting my 30g, it comes to be almost equivalent to a 28g wire. The theory behind it is to increase the surface area of the coil in contact with the wick and liquid. should increase flavour and vapor. This video should help. i'm terrible at explaining in text. :)

http://youtu.be/TjCPQNiRVv4

ahmadmfz

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
red dot
Tried a single coil after screwing my brain over those complicated coils. Pretty good still, I guess the the best sometimes is just something simple.

30g twisted ni200, 10 wraps around 3mm post.

fb113f1f753bb59c2f491c57fe268de5.jpg

b9542197975288b1d142dd5b61622414.jpg

fa48b4b64ddb0e6c7ac22dd05e5c4a38.jpg

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
The resistance for your nickel seems a bit high? And the temp setting too? 1.2 - 1.5 seems to be what most are building.. Set for 420F..
Anyway is there a difference for twisted coil in nickel build? Since it heats up quite fast already, and it won't go beyond your set temp? Did you notice a marked improvement compared to just single 4 - 5 coil?

ahmadmfz

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
red dot
The resistance for your nickel seems a bit high? And the temp setting too? 1.2 - 1.5 seems to be what most are building.. Set for 420F..
Anyway is there a difference for twisted coil in nickel build? Since it heats up quite fast already, and it won't go beyond your set temp? Did you notice a marked improvement compared to just single 4 - 5 coil?

Hahaha the resistance doesn't really matter to me; nickel's resistance just shoots up anyway when you use it. I've rebuilt and it is now 0.18ohms. i set it at 400 as i really really don't like a burnt hit and sometimes with 420 i can taste the cotton if it hasn't wicked up properly (like when it is upside down in my bag).

Difference between twisted and normal coils...tbh with nickel there isn't much but still noticeable. Better flavour and vapour, don't ask me the science. I just do what works for me.

bananasg

Nov 28, 2014
I wish I am there
never has a mod that has a TC function...is the nickel with TC really good? Heard from a close friend that the nickel is a pain in the a** to build...

For now what I did was not to up the wattage too much, but to a level that is acceptable to me and also I always remind myself not to chain vape but allows a little time for juice to get wicked properly after each vape. So far so good as I would hope for...haha...

I would believe that the TC will allows me to consistently chain vape if I need too and don't get dry hits?

ahmadmfz

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
red dot
never has a mod that has a TC function...is the nickel with TC really good? Heard from a close friend that the nickel is a pain in the a** to build...

For now what I did was not to up the wattage too much, but to a level that is acceptable to me and also I always remind myself not to chain vape but allows a little time for juice to get wicked properly after each vape. So far so good as I would hope for...haha...

I would believe that the TC will allows me to consistently chain vape if I need too and don't get dry hits?

I can chain vape all day unless it super heavy VG stuff, then I've to let it wick up every 5 vapes or so. for 50-70vg i can chain tape at 24w, rarely hitting temp at 400 fahrenheit. Totally 0 burnt hits.

Building is a ....ing ..... because it so soft and malleable, especially if you're working with 30g and want to do a dual coil set up. I think my first few builds i wasted maybe a meter of nickel or so. But using 26g doing a simple 5 wrap spaced coil it is relatively easier and still does a good job.

I love temperature control and I can't see myself going back to anything that doesn't have it. Coils last long and i only rewick if I'm changing from drastically different juices, like from MBV's thug juice to 5P Black Flag.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Just do the nickel with 4-5 space coil.. Actually Simpler and faster than khantal 6-7-8 coil squeeze fire squeeze fire.. Lol
But still there is a learning curve involve and some rba are harder to get a consistent reading than others. But the good part is if done right, cotton/rayon last longer, juice last longer, and a better all round vape. ;)

bananasg

Nov 28, 2014
I wish I am there
Hmmmm...must go kapoot my fren rdna 40 with nickel build to try...

Just do the nickel with 4-5 space coil.. Actually Simpler and faster than khantal 6-7-8 coil squeeze fire squeeze fire.. Lol
But still there is a learning curve involve and some rba are harder to get a consistent reading than others. But the good part is if done right, cotton/rayon last longer, juice last longer, and a better all round vape. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread