Smok XPro M80 Plus - new version, v6 firmware: temperature control testing results

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmcquill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2012
Chicago
Okay, I've had my gold M80 for a solid 24 hours now, with smok Gimlet. I guess I am not completely understanding the whole TC feature, but it seems to be doing what everyone says it should be doing. I hold the button, and it hovers in the high 40's for 600 degrees. Now, I do notice that the vape is a bit warmer and fuller if I press the button for a couple seconds then push a second time for my draw.

Overall, I'm impressed. Not a single dry hit, flavor seems spot on. Not as hard hitting as my Sigelei 150 (at similar wattage), but it was half the cost. Got a nice little rotation of Cloupor Mini, M80, Cloupor T6 and Sig 150. I'm a very happy vaper, and probably set on mods for a while!

RaptorD.Meezus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Roseville, California, United States
So, I'm wondering: what would be a good tank for this thing? I'm kind of leaning towards a Kangertech Subtank Mini. I like the idea of having an RBA deck that I might be able to learn on before moving on to my RDAs, since I obviously don't know what I'm doing yet. Anything else out there that might be as good or better? I know the Subtank Plus is out, but I think it's a little big for this mod.

drewburton48

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2015
Hornsea,UK
So, I'm wondering: what would be a good tank for this thing? I'm kind of leaning towards a Kangertech Subtank Mini. I like the idea of having an RBA deck that I might be able to learn on before moving on to my RDAs, since I obviously don't know what I'm doing yet. Anything else out there that might be as good or better? I know the Subtank Plus is out, but I think it's a little big for this mod.

IMO the subtank mini would be perfect for you but, of course, it's a matter of taste. The beauty of such a device as far as you are concerned is that, included in the package, there are some prebuilt rba coils rating at about 0.5 ohms for you to try. All you have to do is thread some of the included organic cotton through them and off you go. If you like these coils, you have a ready made template to try to replicate when you start to build your own ;)

RaptorD.Meezus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
IMO the subtank mini would be perfect for you but, of course, it's a matter of taste. The beauty of such a device as far as you are concerned is that, included in the package, there are some prebuilt rba coils rating at about 0.5 ohms for you to try. All you have to do is thread some of the included organic cotton through them and off you go. If you like these coils, you have a ready made template to try to replicate when you start to build your own ;)

I didn't wait for a response, lol. I went ahead and got the Mini. I'm still doing research, and still buying stuff, haha. I guess I'm just scared that I'm going to do something wrong. I know I have a lot less to be worried about with a regulated mod, but there's still just something nagging at me.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Oh, one last thing: I'd recommend getting at least one simple tank. Like the Kanger Subtank Mini, Aspire Atlantis, or the Smok VCT. They come with pre-built coils that you can just throw in there and vape. They'll tell you what wattage to use for them - e.g. Subtank Mini 0.5 ohm coil might say "15 - 30W". That will ensure you can be vaping within 10 minutes of your mod arriving, with no risk, hassle or worry. Start it at 15W, and increase to taste (but not going much over the maximum they list - a little is usually OK.)

If you get the Subtank Mini it comes with a mini RBA deck so you can also use it as a rebuildable, throwing your own coils in there. The Smok VCT has a separate "DIY head" which is its version of the RBA rebuildable.

The Subtank Mini is a better tank, but the Smok VCT is cheaper (though less so if you also purchase the separate DIY deck.)

Actually in your case I'd definitely recommend the Subtank Mini. It comes with two coils at different ohms - a 0.5 and a 1.2. So you can see the difference immediately. The Smok VCT also comes with two coils, but you'll get either 2 x 0.5 or 2 x 1.2, depending which option you choose, so you won't be able to try different ohms and see the difference.

Also the Smok VCT's cheaper build quality can get a bit annoying - sometimes it gets jammed shut, and it's a lot more likely to leak. So start with the Subtank Mini in my view. (Or the new Subtank Plus looks very nice, taking 7ml of juice and coming with 2 RBA decks instead of one. But it's more expensive, and it's 25mm so it will overhang the mod a bit.)

I didn't wait for a response, lol. I went ahead and got the Mini. I'm still doing research, and still buying stuff, haha. I guess I'm just scared that I'm going to do something wrong. I know I have a lot less to be worried about with a regulated mod, but there's still just something nagging at me.

Suggestion: if you're worried, take the time to do some research. That means when you ask questions, wait for them to be answered before buying. And read the information that's already available; I wrote you a long response yesterday, about two or three posts higher than your first post above, which talked about tanks in some detail, covering the Subtank Mini, Subtank Plus, and another option, the Smok VCT.

You ask a lot of questions and that's fine, but it doesn't really encourage people to respond to them if you don't read the responses they write and then ask the same question over again!

Anyway, the Subtank Mini is a good first tank, so you'll be fine with that.

RaptorD.Meezus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Suggestion: if you're worried, take the time to do some research. That means when you ask questions, wait for them to be answered before buying. And read the information that's already available; I wrote you a long response yesterday, about two or three posts higher than your first post above, which talked about tanks in some detail, covering the Subtank Mini, Subtank Plus, and another option, the Smok VCT.

You ask a lot of questions and that's fine, but it doesn't really encourage people to respond to them if you don't read the responses they write and then ask the same question over again!

Anyway, the Subtank Mini is a good first tank, so you'll be fine with that.

I remembered that when I asked it, and I looked them all up, then decided to go with the Subtank Mini, I just didn't want to delete the post. The Atlantis could have been a good choice, but I'm kind of not a fan of Aspire lately, so I'm trying to avoid them. The VCT also could have been nice, but I'm not so sure on the coil heads, and I don't know if my local B&M carries them, so if I really needed one in a pinch, I would be kind of SOL. I think the Subtank Mini is a good buffer on that thanks to the RBA deck.

Sorry for being so much of a hassle, lol. I'm just not really retaining the information I am gathering, and this thread has been the most helpful to me in many regards as to the questions I have been asking. I guess I could start a thread for all the questions I can think of, and just hope to get some decent answers out of it.

Sykriss

Apr 1, 2014
Hudson, FL, USA
I've been using it with my Delta II and getting a pretty good vape off of it at 30w (highest I can go since the + button on mine is non-functional). Before my + button stopped working I was vaping it at 42.5w and the flavor and vapor was absolutely stellar. Can't wait to get my new one in the mail, should be coming tomorrow. Not sure if I should keep this one and just use it in mech mode as a pseudo-mech mod with 4000mah or just return it and get a refund... Probably just gonna get a refund lol.

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
Just wrapped my m80 and ready for war lol.
5bcb31efa254739c618b335af922e521.jpg

Reactions: cj081283

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
Haha nice! I've never looked at those wraps before - do they fit pretty snug/tight? Certainly looks like it. Maybe I'll get one too, for the M80.

Also, how do you like the Mutation X3? I've considered getting one (clone, anyway) a few times
Yeah, it fits really nice. It came in 6 pieces. Took me about 15 minutes trying to get it lined up as best as I could. It came out good.

The mutationX v3
I love it. More so now on the m80 being able to crank it up to 80w. Tons of vapor and flavor. Even when I was running it on my istick 50w I never took it off. I'm actually finding it hard to use my goblin and subtank mini lol. This has got me spoiled. Actually considering getting another.

RaptorD.Meezus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Alright guys and gals. I literally just got my M80, like, ten minutes ago. Looks beautiful, feels really nice in the hand. It's got a good, substantial heft to it, and I really like the grooves on the back, they provide a nice grip. Unfortunately, right now I only have a couple of cheapish clearos, so this picture is going to look a little lame, but I like the fact that they included an eGo adapter, because I think this is going to replace most of my gear. So, this tank has a 1.8Ω Aspire BVC in it, and I'm not exactly sure what the right wattage is to use with something like that (is it just preference? Doesn't the voltage adjust itself?) so I've been trying it at different wattages, but I'm at about 13W right now, and it feels and tastes pretty good. Got some more gear coming in the mail pretty soon, so I will be trying some new things with it when I get them. Smoktech Xpro M80 Plus.jpg

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Cool, glad you're pleased.

Yes it adjusts the volts, but according to the watts you set. So you do need to set the watts appropriately.

I tried a couple of basic cartomizers on my iStick and found that you want low watts, otherwise it'll taste burnt and nasty. 13W sounds about right yeah - certainly not more than 20, but even that's probably too much.

RaptorD.Meezus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Cool, glad you're pleased.

Yes it adjusts the volts, but according to the watts you set. So you do need to set the watts appropriately.

I tried a couple of basic cartomizers on my iStick and found that you want low watts, otherwise it'll taste burnt and nasty. 13W sounds about right yeah - certainly not more than 20, but even that's probably too much.

I actually knocked it down to around 8.5-9W. That seems to be doing me a lot better. 13 was pushing the coil heads of the cartos, and I don't want to burn them out right away.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Haha nice! I've never looked at those wraps before - do they fit pretty snug/tight? Certainly looks like it. Maybe I'll get one too, for the M80.

Also, how do you like the Mutation X3? I've considered getting one (clone, anyway) a few times

X3 for clouds really not so much flavour. No need to get a clone as the authentic is pretty cheap!

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Oh yeah, good catch!

Smok said:
2.The original M80 Plus Boxmod with V0006 firmware version, can be upgraded to V0006-1 version.
Improved functions: Short-circuit protection message has changed from “CHECK ATOMIZER” to “SHORTED”, and others remain the same.

Wow, boring! Still worth applying though :) And actually that's pretty good if it can reliably detect shorts, maybe I'll start using it more for builds (making use of the dual digit ohms display.) The iStick handles it OK, but it does sometimes go into a protection shutdown, and it's inconsistent as to when it does that - sometimes it says "Protection", other times it just shuts down and you have to attach a USB cable to wake it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread