Smokers Turned off from Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

VprNomi

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
WI
I was a smoker, more than a pack a day, for over 25 years, and just because something is a hassle you are used to, doesn't make it not a hassle. And I pointed out those particular examples to point out that, while vaping does come with its own set of hassles, so does smoking, so that particular argument for not trying it doesn't hold water. I realize that it won't work for everyone, and I'm not trying to downplay how hard it is to quit smoking, I'm referring not to the folks that are trying and failing, but to the folks that use any excuse at hand to not try at all. I did it myself for years. People will quit when they are ready, IF they are ready, and not before. My point, and I guess I made it badly, is that someone who isn't ready to quit will find an excuse not to, and while they have the right to make that choice, personally I'm going to keep pestering my dad until he gives vaping a shot. I'll be preachy and pushy and punch his excuses full of as many holes as I can, because vaping CAN help him stop. It helped me stop, and I LOVE to smoke. And he claims to want to quit. Well, here is something that could help. And, while I respect your opinion as well, I do think that someone who writes it off without trying it IS making excuses. If they try it and for whatever reason it doesn't work for them, that's a different story. Not to even TRY just because it's a little bigger than a cig IS making an excuse.

I may not have made my point as clearly as I'd hoped either. Vaping is simply not for everyone, even those who are trying very hard to quit (like my mother). She was still trying to quit even after she tried vaping & chose not to continue, so it was not an "excuse" that she made because she didn't want to quit. She was dealing with a lot of other major life changes at the same time & didn't have it in her to spend a lot of time researching and trying out different vaping options. She smoked those really tiny Capri cigarettes, so I certainly can't imagine her going for even a mid-sized PV. It just wasn't for her. Same with my husband. He wants to quit (and did, cold turkey, for 3 months after his first of three heart attacks). He's tried my devices, even the Ego types. He simply doesn't like them. They aren't for him. He says he'll quit cold turkey when I never pick up a cigarette again (hopefully very soon), and he's already reduced his smoking in half since I've been mostly successful making the switch from smoking to vaping, so I don't think he's making excuses for not wanting to quit either. We need to remember that it's not fair to judge other people when we have no idea what they're going through and that vaping isn't designed to be a smoking cessation device, it's a smoking alternative. Though many vapers do wean down their nic level, I'm not sure if any vapers actually stop vaping even when they're down to 0 nic or how many vapers successfully reduce to 0 nic (for any length of time). Maybe, but I personally haven't seen anybody say that they did yet. From what I see, most people who find their sweet spot vaping enjoy it very much and keep doing it.

As far as taking up too much room & being too much hassle, I've spent many more hours learning and finding support on ECF as well as searching the internet for interesting options (new & fancy drip tips, etc.) than I spend picking up cigarettes. Not only that but I also still spend plenty of time every day charging batteries (mostly to get ready for the next day but sometimes also because I go through all 4 batts before the day is over) and refilling clearos. It's also a bigger hassle spending more time shopping online from several different vendors (hardware from one, juice from a few favorites, etc.) not to mention having to wait for it to arrive in the mail, than it was to go 3 min. down to the store & buy the same brand of cigarettes I've smoked for 25 yrs. For those that continue the vaping journey until they find their sweet spot, the hassles of vaping that come with searching for what works reduce dramatically and become not really much more than smoking was, if at all, but it's that really difficult time of finding what works that not everybody is willing to invest the time and money into - even if they really do want to quit smoking.

As far as vaping taking up a lot my space, I'm talking for the most part about all the supplies & bottles of juices kept at home (just look at some of the setups people post pictures here for their massive storage solutions) but even my portable case with a days' worth of stuff including about 4 batts and 8 clearos full of flavor (as well as a few extra clearo heads, drip tips, etc. in case something breaks or burns out) and charging apparatus (not just the little one with USB port because who knows if a USB connection will be available if I need it - may only have the options of a wall and/or car adapter when I need it) is bigger than even an opened pack of cigs plus an extra pack in case I run out. Now, if I'm only going out for an hour or two, I have a small metal cig case sized case that works fine. The point is, I'm not talking about just the size of the PV in use alone.

However, I do have to agree with you that somebody who isn't willing to even try vaping at all, once it's been properly introduced to them (assuming they haven't fallen victim to the hype that it may be even more dangerous than smoking because it's not FDA approved), probably simply isn't willing to give up their smoking habit in any form at that point (maybe later, when they start suffering health problems - or maybe they're just stubborn & never try to quit or even attempt any alternative, like my father in law, even after a quadruple bypass). From what I understand though, studies (and who knows how valid or accurate they are) indicate that most smokers have tried to quit at least once but few are successful, so I think this situation is relatively rare.

Finally, I wanted to make a quick comment about the person who mentioned that it seemed to be more successful for men in their sample group. As a woman, I think most of us are not as fast to warm up to techy mods & such as men might be. We (for the most part - not everybody for sure) want to appear feminine. We want small, dainty, delicate, girly, etc. and that may be at lease part of why women may not be as likely to move beyond the mini's and find a good vaping system that works for them as men.

Again, just MHO.

Last edited:

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I may not have made my point as clearly as I'd hoped either. Vaping is simply not for everyone, even those who are trying very hard to quit (like my mother). She was still trying to quit even after she tried vaping & chose not to continue, so it was not an "excuse" that she made because she didn't want to quit. She was dealing with a lot of other major life changes at the same time & didn't have it in her to spend a lot of time researching and trying out different vaping options. She smoked those really tiny Capri cigarettes, so I certainly can't imagine her going for even a mid-sized PV. It just wasn't for her. Same with my husband. He wants to quit (and did, cold turkey, for 3 months after his first of three heart attacks). He's tried my devices, even the Ego types. He simply doesn't like them. They aren't for him. He says he'll quit cold turkey when I never pick up a cigarette again (hopefully very soon), and he's already reduced his smoking in half since I've been mostly successful making the switch from smoking to vaping, so I don't think he's making excuses for not wanting to quit either. We need to remember that it's not fair to judge other people when we have no idea what they're going through and that vaping isn't designed to be a smoking cessation device, it's a smoking alternative. Though many vapers do wean down their nic level, I'm not sure if any vapers actually stop vaping even when they're down to 0 nic or how many vapers successfully reduce to 0 nic (for any length of time). Maybe, but I personally haven't seen anybody say that they did yet. From what I see, most people who find their sweet spot vaping enjoy it very much and keep doing it.

As far as taking up too much room & being too much hassle, I've spent many more hours learning and finding support on ECF as well as searching the internet for interesting options (new & fancy drip tips, etc.) than I spend picking up cigarettes. Not only that but I also still spend plenty of time every day charging batteries (mostly to get ready for the next day but sometimes also because I go through all 4 batts before the day is over) and refilling clearos. It's also a bigger hassle spending more time shopping online from several different vendors (hardware from one, juice from a few favorites, etc.) not to mention having to wait for it to arrive in the mail, than it was to go 3 min. down to the store & buy the same brand of cigarettes I've smoked for 25 yrs. For those that continue the vaping journey until they find their sweet spot, the hassles of vaping that come with searching for what works reduce dramatically and become not really much more than smoking was, if at all, but it's that really difficult time of finding what works that not everybody is willing to invest the time and money into - even if they really do want to quit smoking.

As far as vaping taking up a lot my space, I'm talking for the most part about all the supplies & bottles of juices kept at home (just look at some of the setups people post pictures here for their massive storage solutions) but even my portable case with a days' worth of stuff including about 4 batts and 8 clearos full of flavor (as well as a few extra clearo heads, drip tips, etc. in case something breaks or burns out) and charging apparatus (not just the little one with USB port because who knows if a USB connection will be available if I need it - may only have the options of a wall and/or car adapter when I need it) is bigger than even an opened pack of cigs plus an extra pack in case I run out. Now, if I'm only going out for an hour or two, I have a small metal cig case sized case that works fine. The point is, I'm not talking about just the size of the PV in use alone.

However, I do have to agree with you that somebody who isn't willing to even try vaping at all, once it's been properly introduced to them (assuming they haven't fallen victim to the hype that it may be even more dangerous than smoking because it's not FDA approved), probably simply isn't willing to give up their smoking habit in any form at that point (maybe later, when they start suffering health problems - or maybe they're just stubborn & never try to quit or even attempt any alternative, like my father in law, even after a quadruple bypass). From what I understand though, studies (and who knows how valid or accurate they are) indicate that most smokers have tried to quit at least once but few are successful, so I think this situation is relatively rare.

Finally, I wanted to make a quick comment about the person who mentioned that it seemed to be more successful for men in their sample group. As a woman, I think most of us are not as fast to warm up to techy mods & such as men might be. We (for the most part - not everybody for sure) want to appear feminine. We want small, dainty, delicate, girly, etc. and that may be at lease part of why women may not be as likely to move beyond the mini's and find a good vaping system that works for them as men.

Again, just MHO.

I get what you are saying, I really do. I think I came off more argumentative than I really intended (was in a bit of a mood), and yeah, I know it's not for everyone. And if you get into mods and delivery systems and everything (as I totally have), it can be way more of a time investment than smoking. It doesn't HAVE to be, some folks are perfectly happy with a couple egos and clearos and just go from there, but for me personally the hobby aspect is part of the appeal. And I'm totally one of those people you mentioned that intend to keep vaping, even if I could in theory step down to 0 nic and quit. At this point I enjoy vaping for its own sake, not merely as a device to keep me off cigs. I like to think that if someone is really committed to quitting cigs would be willing to put in the effort to find a setup that works for them, but you are right, not everyone will do that, nor should they be brow-beaten into doing something they don't want to do. I would like to say, as far as the girly aspect, there's a thread on here (I would link it if I was savvy enough with this forum thing to do so) with a title along the lines of "Show us your pretty, girly, decorated, pink" that should show just about any woman that it IS possible to have a feminine mod. Some pretty cool stuff those ladies are showing off! :)

SITS

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Reoville
I am actually having the exact opposite response from smokers, i work for a contractror at a high tech plant and ecigs are treated the same my thier management as analogs. but when I am in the smoking area with my Vamo and Evod. all I get are questins about ecigs and juice and ease of use od you miss smoking ect. I have given out ECF and vendors that I use to afew people, it would probably be more but I am only on the site for 2 hrs a day. I smoked my last analog in January and haven't looked back even through 60hr weeks and pressure cooker deadlines.:vapor:

No offense but an evod on a Vamo? That is just wrong. :p

Eta: I am using my phone and that was supposed to me sticking my tongue out at you, so that is a joke.

Last edited:

T1lVl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
mequru3a.jpg
Should just buy a REO. Like carrying a pack of smokes. Perfect all around.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
The smoker has to want to quit. It all starts there. A smoker who doesn't really want to quit never will and the rest is just excuses. ....... Any smoker who just hasn't made up their mind similarly will always find an excuse.

I respectfully have to disagree with you, as my OWN personal story proves:

In 2009 I was working as the quality manager in a machine shop where I had the freedom to smoke anywhere in the shop, but it in the office area.

I was a 3+ pack a day smoker who had been smoking for over 40 years.Over the years I'd tried to quit several times, I tried everything from cold turkey, to acupuncture, injections in the sinus cavity (hurt like a .....), hypnosis, NRT (gum, patches, inhalers), Wellbutrin... NOTHING worked!I had finally said, "To Hell With IT!" and figured I'd be a life long smoker.

Years later, in 2009 I was ENJOYING my cigarettes. I had NO desire, and NO intention to quit.

Then sometime in July the general manager got fired, and they split up his duties between the sales manager, the production manager, and myself...The end result was I was having to spend more and more time in the office where I couldn't smoke.I was finding excuses to go out into the shop every chance I got where I could light up a smoke... My work was suffering, and everyone knew what I was doing and why... Hell, people were openly joking about it, because the cigarette would be in my mouth and my zippo was lit before I even opened the office door. My lungs were full of smoke before I had taken 1 full step into the shop!

At lunch one day a friend of mine from years back told me about the Njoy e-cigarette. I vaped on his for a bit, and though it was expensive as hell, I figured it MIGHT be the thing just for when I was in the office. So I bought a kit.

Of course Njoy had their own names for everything, but I later found out that this deluxe kit was simply 2 automatic stick batteries, 2 801 atomizers, a charger, and a 5 pack of prefilled cartridges. The replacement cartridges were God Awful expensive, but I was just going to use it in the office, so they SHOULD last a while...

By now it was mid August, and this thing was working out pretty well. I was only going out for a smoke at breaks, lunch, and whenever I had a legitimate reason to go into the shop.

I still had no intention of giving up my cigarettes. I LOVED MY CIGARETTES!

Through the rest of August and all of September this routine served me well... I was now vaping everyplace I couldn't smoke, restaurants, the hospital, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc... I just kept my e-cig in my pocket beside my pack of cigs and was good for whatever the situation called for, but I STILL LOVED MY CIGS and had NO desire or intention to give them up...

But one day in early October, I noticed that more often than not when I reached for a smoke, it was the e-cigarette that I pulled out of my pocket and not a Doral?!?

At 12:15 pm on October 14th 2009 I was sitting in my car, and had just finished my lunch, and reached for my after lunch cigarette when I realized that I had the same pack of Dorals in my pocket that I'd opened 3 days before. That was the last cigarette I've ever smoked.

I threw the rest of the pack away on my way back into the building, and I've been a dedicated vaper ever since.

In about a month and 1/2 It will be 4 years since my last smoke.

Everyone has their own story and some are similar and some are not, but the point to take with you from mine is that I NEVER INTENDED TO QUIT SMOKING!!!

We're not allowed to hype e-cigs as a device to help people quit. But, at least in my case, e-cigs are responsible for taking away my cigarettes even though I was not trying to give them up?

Did they help me quit? No! They quit for me with no conscious effort on my part at all.

Yes, I've had cravings since then, hell I still do on occasion... But I've never backslid, or fallen off the wagon even for 1 smoke. I drip a few drops of double strength juice into a 510 low resistance atty and within 3 or 4 good toots those cravings vanish like smoke rings in the dark!

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
Great story VV_James! Congrats on almost 4 years analog free.

I want to get my woman on to vaping but she's resistant to change, her entire life she's only smoked one brand. Camel Menthol Lights and won't purchase anything else and she's hesitant to take a drag off my magical fog stick lol. It also doesn't help that she always sees me tinkering with coils and wicks and dripping and goes "Do you always have to do that? That's wayyy too much effort." I just tell her I don't have to do it but I enjoy doing it for optimal flavor etc.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
  • Deleted by UntamedRose
  • Reason: internet glich, we arnt sure...but can clean it up :)

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I agree that more smokers would try vaping if cigalikes performed better. I think companies like Blu are putting some good effort into making kits that are appealing to smokers. Unfortunately the performance of the batteries, limited nicotine level options and inconsistent quality control undermine these efforts. IF a person who bought a blu kit in the store was buying the blu 100s kit, had nicotine level options up to 30mg rather than just 18 & could count on the cartos they buy working every time that person would be more apt to stick with vaping. Cigarettes are just more consistent in that way & until ecig products are just as consistent many smokers will not find them appealing.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
Great story VV_James! Congrats on almost 4 years analog free.

I want to get my woman on to vaping but she's resistant to change, her entire life she's only smoked one brand. Camel Menthol Lights and won't purchase anything else and she's hesitant to take a drag off my magical fog stick lol. It also doesn't help that she always sees me tinkering with coils and wicks and dripping and goes "Do you always have to do that? That's wayyy too much effort." I just tell her I don't have to do it but I enjoy doing it for optimal flavor etc.

I will openly admit that MENTHOL Smoking severely complicates the issue!
Juice makers just don't get the fact that MINT and MENTHOL are totally Effing different, and it's damn near impossible to find a Menthol juice that don't taste minty :(

Punkonjunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
green bay, wisconsin
It is their excuse not to quit... I felt the same way at first but I was open minded because I really wanted to get off analogs. I started with a few small starter kits and now its grown into a hobby for me.

This.

Let 'em try your flavors, or take a whiff, or just fill 'em a good clearo, bottle, grab an ego and a charger and tell em to give it a shot. Two smokers I know quit the second it wasn't a .......ed blu, a couple days of that and suddenly it's WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR VAMO DUDE I WANT ONE

I will openly admit that MENTHOL Smoking severely complicates the issue!
Juice makers just don't get the fact that MINT and MENTHOL are totally Effing different, and it's damn near impossible to find a Menthol juice that don't taste minty :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol

It's um.... it's not. Menthol is more or less a trade name from it's days as a medicine first and foremost. Menthol comes from mint, broseph.

I've always found menthol to taste minty, even in smokes; just not sweet.
Maybe your menthol is too sweet?

EDIT AGAIN:
Less trade namey, apparently; name of the chemical compound specifically. But still. It's mint, or from mint. Or a chemist, but same product, same building blocks, different recipe.
I'm still figurin' it's the sweetness that's prolly throwing you off. I dunno, I don't like menthol that much. I do like this menthol-peach I got from MBV, though.

Last edited:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Ive let a friend try my MVP and my Flings. I even got him a Fling and nJoy in regular flavor and strength because he thinks the MVP is too strange. He takes a puff or two and says no thanks. He doesn't give me a reason other than when he quits its gunna be cold turkey. He does want to quit but not bad enough yet.

VV_James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Austin, TX
www.ValueVapor.com
This.

Let 'em try your flavors, or take a whiff, or just fill 'em a good clearo, bottle, grab an ego and a charger and tell em to give it a shot. Two smokers I know quit the second it wasn't a .......ed blu, a couple days of that and suddenly it's WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR VAMO DUDE I WANT ONE

Menthol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's um.... it's not. Menthol is more or less a trade name from it's days as a medicine first and foremost. Menthol comes from mint, broseph.

I've always found menthol to taste minty, even in smokes; just not sweet.
Maybe your menthol is too sweet?

EDIT AGAIN:
Less trade namey, apparently; name of the chemical compound specifically. But still. It's mint, or from mint. Or a chemist, but same product, same building blocks, different recipe.
I'm still figurin' it's the sweetness that's prolly throwing you off. I dunno, I don't like menthol that much. I do like this menthol-peach I got from MBV, though.

Yeah, you got your chemistry right, but juice (or anything else for that matter) that is made with pure menthol crystals has absolutly ZERO mint flavor.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Obtained from mint does not mean is mint. I was a menthol smoker. The closest I've found so far is DFW Menthol. But, I don't vape menthol so much as coffees now.

The only minty flavor I've found that I like is peppermint. I tried one I loved and one I hated. All the other mints, yuck! They may be yummy to eat, but they're nasty to vape.

Back on topic:

Some people really need the cig-alike to start with. It feels more like smoking and is less embarrassing. It only needs to good enough for a few weeks. Just enough to get them started and liking it. Then a small eGo is a good step up. Still very small and stealthy.

I started on an eGo. But, I love carrying cig-alikes when I can, just for fun. As long as they're not the original tiniest cig-alikes. So, they can always be saved as back-ups or used to help someone else quit later.

It is still better to start with a better battery if possible, especially if money is a concern. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread