who got you into vaping and what happened to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraCnT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Staten Island, NY
In October 2012 with my birthday a few weeks away my son asked me how old I was"really" gonna be (laugh) I am forever 35 lol.
At this time there were those really graphic anti smoking commercials on (they still are) you know, the ones where the voice box is gone, limbs missing etc.... and cancer. So my 7 year old boy is crying and says,, "Mama,, please,I don't want you to die". So I decided to really try this time,, I didn't want to quit,I couldn't do it. It is just a very big part of my life, but I wanted a healthier life. Enter e cigs. I Saw A Eon smoke cig a like kit at the gas station and got one with some carts and began.
It was a huge change,a hard change at first.... but after alot of research, this forum, my family's support,, here I am. I feel so much better and I just keep fighting the urge when it comes,, and vape. It works! :)
So, it was my son who got me on my vaping journey....
vape on everyone!!

A guy at work had used Chantix to quit smoking, made it a year and then started again. His mother bought him an e-cig kit and he started using that along with analogs. I did the same thing but got off analogs. He unfortunatley went back to analogs. I've been trying to get him back to vaping but no dice (so far). I've been analog free over 2 months and my desire for one is mostly nostalgic.

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I saw an ad on the internet one day for the v2 and decided to give it a go. Cig- alikes are not the greatest but I saw the possibilities. I started researching and had problems finding a juice I liked at a reasonable cost so got into diy. To this day I have never met another hard core vaper in my area. Going to Vape a Palooza in Atlanta in July so that ought to be a real experience.......I hope.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The internet got me into vaping. It died a slow horrible death.

I had saw something on TV about ecigs at some point. Then saw an internet ad that reminded me. I searched. Found PureSmoker, and they had a link to this forum.
I thought ecigs back then sucked, stuck with it for a month and quit. I kept an eye on things until I saw some real change (i.e., an option for something other than strapping larger batteries and larger tanks to things that had filler to burn).
Every so often I'd see my ecig bookmark folder and check in or a YT video. Someone on YT spammed me, it was just a pyrex tank on a carto so I wasn't interested in it but there must've been related videos on eGo-C or some other non-carto tank so I came back and read the forums.

I have actually thanked that spammer.

mist opportunity

May 16, 2013
UK
Three of my former colleagues who were hardcore smokers all started vaping together to give each other moral support in order to quit cigs. I met up with them a few weeks later at a bar and they were all vaping away at the table while I was the only one who had to go outside on my lonesome to get my nic fix.

At first I was all "e-cigs my backside, these pesky electronic things have taken my smoking buddies away from me, this isn't right. One waft of a cigarette under their nose and they'll be right back with me". They weren't. One taste of their RY4 juice and I ordered a starter kit the minute I got home :vapor:

Forgot to add what happened to them - they're all still happily vaping. When we meet up it's like a mini vaping convention.

Last edited:

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
My 22yo son will bum a smoke from me about once a month (after he has been drinking with his friends). Two weeks ago, he asked me why I changed brands. I told him "I'm trying to quit again, and asked for the cheapest brand they had, hoping it would taste really bad." He asked, "How's that working for ya?" I said, "Problem is, they aren't bad at all, AND they are a lot cheaper". He laughed and said, "Why don't you try those e-cigs?" I told him I did years ago when they first came out in the gas stations and they were terrible and didn't work. He said they're totally different now, a bunch of his friends were using them and loved them. Just that night, the waitress came over and demanded to know why their corner of the bar smelled like blueberry pancakes. When he finished his smoke, I asked him to ask his friends what they were using and let me know. Then I hopped on the internet and did some research, first thing the next morning I bought an ego kit and some Mint Gum Ball ejuice at the local tobacco store. Later that day he says, "my friends all said get something called an ego". Showed him what I got. Yesterday he asked "How's that working for ya?", expecting that I was still smoking. Told him I hadn't picked up a cigarette since I started vaping. He was shocked speechless, since I was a 1.5pad smoker and he has watched me try and fail so many times over his lifetime. He walked away with a stunned smile on his face saying, "I can't believe it actually works that well." Me either, son, me either.

DougFNJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
New Jersey
I saw one of those kits in a mall Kiosk a few years ago and tried it, it got me to cut down, but I eventually went back to full time smoking.

Then my cousin showed me this EON Smoke kit he got from a Smoke Shop, I bought one and cut down a lot of my smoking, I would smoke those around the house and smoke analogs during the day. A friend of mine was smoking this odd, large, electric Hookah, and I laughed at him and told him to try the EON's.

My cousin then opened his own smoke shop selling "water pipes" and paraphernalia which I had no interest in, and and told me to by the Eon cartridges from him, I went in to buy some, and He then showed me a starter kit with an Evo style battery with juices and Cartos, they looked like what my friend was smoking, I laughed him off and bought my EON cartridges. He put a little rubber attachment and convinced me to try it before I left. I definitely liked the throat hit and he planted the seed. I don't know what EON did to their product, but I may as well been drawing through a straw.

So I went back that week to my cousins and bought this starter kit. I found myself using that more and smoking less, but the satisfaction would be less as the battery drained, and the day went on. He started talking to me about variable voltage and talked to me about the Evic. I started doing some research, came upon this forum and all reviews kept leading back to PRovari and Provari Mini which he didn't sell. I figured if I am going to make a full commitment to stop smoking altogether, I would make a larger initial $$ commitment and buy something that will work right rather than buying one device after another and spending tons to settle on that "perfect" mod.

I bought the Provari Mini, I had 2 analogs last week to finish my pack, and am now analog free as of 10/11 :D

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
My journey to vaping was an odd one.

I first encountered a thread on vaping on WoW forums. The kit they suggested was going to cost about $200 which wasn't in the cards at the time. SO I asked the folks in the thread if I could slim that down some and have success. They were adamant that I could not leave out a thing or substitute a thing. So vaping got put on the back burner for a year. I just couldn't afford it I thought.

Then I found another thread on vaping on a different gaming forum. They actually explained how it worked and suggested an ego kit to me that was about $80 once I added in juice. Still a financial stretch at the time but doable. The rest is history. It was them that sent me to ECF. They and the thread are still going and vaping.

Revs

Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
SLC, UT, USA, Earth
Have been trying for a years to find a way to help my wife quit analogs. She has been trying off and on for 20 years. We've been together 17 this month. So, seeing some friends on another forum posting these mods as they called them, I started asking questions. She had tried the e-cigs that look like cigs from the corner convenience store and didn't like them. So, I found a local shop here in Utah and took the wife in. We looked and she decided on an eGo Twist and a couple juices. She loves it. So did I. I am an occasional pipe smoker, love it won't give it up. I found myself sneaking her eGo while she was at work. She figured out what I was doing and took me back to the shop and got me a MVP. I grabbed a bottle of pipe tobacco juice and am happy. Still like the pipes, have over 20, but the MVP is easier. And, I can do it in the house.

So, I guess you can say, I converted myself while trying to help my wife. Now, I think I caught the DIY bug as I am in the process of building a wooden 3.7v box.

JayEatsAirplane

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
A friend of mine and his family started vaping about a year ago using full ego setups from CigNot. I followed getting the same setup about a few weeks after. It was okay at first, then I hated it. Crappy plastic tanks, leaked like crazy, no flavor. Got frustrated, gave up. A month ago they told me about the Evods they picked up. I decided to give vaping another shot and here I am. Got pulled into the forum by a different friend who's really into vaping and has taught me everything I know. Now I'm teaching my original mentors.

Friend and family are still vaping strong.
Other friend couldn't be vaping harder if he tried.

durianeliquidflavorplease

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2013
Quezon City Philippines
Back in 2011, a good friend of mine introduced me to vaping. He is a longboarder who has competed internationally. He told me about how switching to vaping has helped him, especially in his sport. That was the first time I considered making the switch myself. It would take a year though before I took the plunge. Now I've been vaping for almost a year.

It's quite sad when he told me he's smoking again. He could no longer afford juice, he said. I've actually been trying to convince him to return to vaping, even telling him I'd give him some juice. He doesn't know that DIY-ing juice is feasible (and money-saving and fun) and is yet to be acquainted with the many recent developments in the vaping world (rebuildable attys, among others) that could definitely help him vape on a budget.

DDN79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Brother let me borrow his K100 with a BCC Clearo tank setup. Decent setup, but I wanted more. After about 4-5 days of going back and forth with regular cigs, I couldn't stand the burnt taste any longer. Switched over completely to ecigs. Currently rocking a Poldiac Cloud Wizard and Vapor Bombz Omega for all day vape, and a Vanilla with a KFL for driving. Brother now comes to me for juice and mods.

bhswmc01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Boise, Idaho, United States
My hubby (ex-smoker, he quit cold turkey 13 years ago) saw some co-workers vaping and asked them about it. While I was out of town visiting family, he bought himself a kit, and when I got home, he dragged me into the same shop for my own setup. Then I discovered ECF and went apes***. The co-workers are still happily vaping as well - we're planning on venturing into DIY as a group soon.

xBlackRobx

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
805/818 So Cal
My GF (soon to be fiancé) had her dad vaping, she wanted to quit analogs and picked up an eGo/Evod kit. I mocked her at first but my desire to get off analogs was growing. Decided to pull the trigger, she picked me up the same starter kit she had and the monster was birthed.

I spent a little unnecessary money on tanks, etc until I started upgrading to glass and now on to mods and RDAs, eventually I will have a VW/VV as well but for now I'm good on equipment. She is in the process of upgrading all of her tanks to glass and I am goading her to find a mod she likes so I can complete the circle and get her dripping too. :)

Combined, she and I have got 12 people to get off analogs completely and take up vaping instead, including my mom, a smoker of 40+ years.

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
I tried to quit smoking multiple times. Gum didn't work, neither did patches or wellbutrin. I bought a Blu last year but hated having to charge it a couple times a day. Found a thread about e-cigs on a 4x4 forum and a friend at work that vapes answered some questions I had. He directed me to a shop in Denver and I hit it the next weekend. He's still vaping and I haven't looked back since.

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
For me it was an ex smoker who'd quit the analogs for many years. He liked to hang around me for the second hand smoke. A few months ago I visited where he, his wife and her sister were all vaping at their workplace. (Owner/operators of the business.) So I'd have to say that it was them that most influenced my decision to start vaping. They still don't know I've quit. And, I wasn't planning to quit smoking, but vaping made it so easy I still can hardly believe it.

No more fear of telling folks I've quit only to fall back again. My banner below is my statement and encouragement. (Even though I really don't need any encouragement.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread