Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'm 18 years old and have been getting lectures from family and friends about cigarette dangers... I watched my aunts best friend die of liver cancer, my entire dads family died of smoking, and my papa died of lung cancer. I think I know enough of the risks but at my age I have no motivation to stop, I do plan on stopping at a later age however, maybe by 40. I get more angry at people trying to make me stop than the cigarettes themselves (which will eventually cause major health risks). However, I've been controlling it to the 5-7 range lately, which is a big reason that I am not stopping as well... My chest always feels tight and when playing basketball for 10 minutes or more it starts to burn and I need to take a breather... I do golf, and walking the courses aren't a problem for me at this age, of course I had to give up cross country due to my lung capacity, but I am fine with that. Smoking just has a different feeling for me, seeing it linger in the air as opposed to the dissipitation of vapor, the smell, and the throwing it away just all fit together like a puzzle piece. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to smoke, just giving you all an update on where I stand. Oh, and vaping isn't all that bad, I do enjoy it to an extent, but nowhere near the joy of a cigarette. One thing that gives me anxiety is nicotine overdoses, I had one a few months ago and fell to the ground, could barely stand up, move my hands, head, feet, hands, everything was numb and slow. I don't have to worry about that with smoking, and its so simple for me as opposed to the work a vape requires. vaping hasn't been studied longterm (as far as I know) and smoking has only been known to cause drastic health effects in the longrun. Hell, even doctors recommended cigarettes back in the day, so I don't trust the 95% safer then smoking thing either. I don't know how else to put it, but I'm sick of the lectures from people like my family and friends because of the reasons stated above. I'll stick with my leaf and paper with 100% certainty of the effects as of now, and maybe in 20 years or so I'll try vaping again when we know more about it. If you guys want to discuss anything please don't be hesitant, as I'm very friendly and open to any discussion.
Can you give me some tips? I've been trying to make the switch from vaping to smoking but those cigarettes just taste gross. Am i doing something wrong? What kind should I try? Please help, I really want to be a smoker. :w00t:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Can you give me some tips? I've been trying to make the switch from vaping to smoking but those cigarettes just taste gross. Am i doing something wrong? What kind should I try? Please help, I really want to be a smoker. :w00t:

Step 1 is obviously get lectures from family and friends about the dangers of vaping. DUH!

Reactions: Asbestos4004

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Kiddo, I'm going to recommend that you do what you wish. If you don't understand the dangers of smoking with the kind of family history you have, I doubt strangers on the internet are going to convince you otherwise.

Also, I'm glad I quit smoking when I did (COPD was approaching) but I am far from out of the woods when it comes to cancer, although I will note that cancer isn't really very prevalent (period) in my family history, so I am hopeful.

What interests me is that you were "open to discussion and reasonable" but you haven't returned (yet, anyway) so I wonder if coming and posting about how much you hate vaping on a harm reduction site was done in a fit of anger about the idea of switching to vaping.

Trust me, one day you will be ready and I hope that day comes long before really frightening health consequences for you. ECF (and the vapers that quit smoking) will be around (and healthy) to help you.

Best of luck and yes, cutting back on cigarettes, if that is the best you can do right now, is probably a good idea given your genetics.

Anna

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@nicotineisbomb -

This is very long, but I hope you'll read it all, and maybe it'll have some small effect on your thinking regarding both smoking and vaping.

I wish that vaping, and a forum like the ECF, had been around the numerous times I tried to quit smoking during the 42+ years that I smoked 1-1.5 packs a day. I'm sure I would've quit much sooner.

*************************​

I don't know why you smoke, but I know my reason for starting at age 16. It wasn't the usual peer pressure to smoke, nor because I thought it was a "cool thing" to do, etc. It was because it was the 1 thing I thought I could do...to "get back" at my parents, for what I was feeling for several years because of their actions. I knew they both would be hurt by my smoking, but I wanted them to feel hurt, like I'd been feeling...as an unwilling witness to their overnight arguments, repeatedly separating and getting back together again only to repeat it all, etc.

By the time they did divorce when I was 17, I didn't quit smoking though, like I originally thought I could/would be able to do. I was totally hooked on smoking by then. So in the longrun, while I know it hurt them that I was smoking...for the next 42 years I was also hurting myself!

During those years I tried quitting by various methods, but none of them worked. After about 25 years of smoking I'd developed Osteoporosis (bone density loss) because smoking prevents the body from absorbing Calcium very well. Doctor advised me to quit smoking. Did I quit then? Nope...started taking meds for it and kept smoking as usual. About 12 years ago I was diagnosed with mild COPD and was again advised by my doctor to quit smoking. However, since I had no noticeable problems with it that caused me to need medications, or to restrict my usual activites, etc., I just kept smoking my 1.5 packs a day. Did I know it was most likely getting worse, though I didn't have any symptoms of it? Yep, but I kept smoking since I couldn't quit.

Slightly more than 4 years ago, I got the flu or something similar, and I couldn't smoke for 3 days. I took 2 puffs on my first cigarette the next day and coughed so hard I thought I'd almost hock up a lung. I dug out a vaping beginner starter kit I'd bought a year earlier (but only tried twice), and started using it while I was slowly cutting down on my smokes. Slightly less than 2 months after that...I became a "former" smoker. Vaping had worked for me, and I've never had another cigarette since then and know I never will.

Since I've quit smoking, and am still vaping, these positive changes below have taken place. There has not been a single negative change!

1. Osteoporosis has been downgraded to osteopenia, because my bone density has improved a great deal, even without meds.

2. The previous signs of my having COPD on various tests, are no longer there.

3. Spirometer test results show my lung functioning is in the range of someone who's never smoked.

3. My blood oxygen level has greatly increased.

4. Doctor says my lungs sound totally clear, which they haven't been for many many years.

By the way, at every check-up, when my doctor asks if I'm still vaping and not smoking, and I tell him Yes...he gives me a thumbs up or a high 5!

So, you might want to think about not only your reasons for smoking, but also at least consider what quitting can do to improve your own health...even while vaping full-time! With your family history especially, IMO it's a huge gamble for you to keep smoking. I only wish I could go back in time and either never start, or quit once my parents got divorced. Hindsight is, as they say...20/20.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

Take a long look at my avatar. Smoking is committing slow suicide, one cigarette after another.

He is 18. He isn't going to watch that. You have to explain it thus:

Marlboro begins to cast a spell.
You have been afflicted with the [Smoking] damage over time spell.
You have taken [100] points of damage.
You have been slain by Marlboro.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
When I was 18, I wouldn't have listened to a bunch of old farts like us either. Then again, when I was 18, I wouldn't have joined a forum full of old farts just to tell them I wasn't going to listen.
Some folks just need to learn the hard way.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Vaping hasn't been studied longterm (as far as I know) and smoking has only been known to cause drastic health effects in the longrun. Hell, even doctors recommended cigarettes back in the day, so I don't trust the 95% safer then smoking thing either. I don't know how else to put it, but I'm sick of the lectures from people like my family and friends because of the reasons stated above. I'll stick with my leaf and paper with 100% certainty of the effects as of now, and maybe in 20 years or so I'll try vaping again when we know more about it.
ScottP said:
He is 18. He isn't going to watch that.
@ScottP I don't know if you were being sarcastic. :blink:

Original poster alleged he has done "some research", whether it was reading the anti-smoking propoganda or older and flawed "non-science" research done years ago. He also may be in denial of common sense (most likely).

The video I supplied above is a collection of newer research provided by legitimate experts in the health care field. Hopefully he WILL watch it.

I was a smoker of 30+ years. I loved it; psychologically I didn't want to quit. But I was beginning to experience the effects of smoking in my 50's. Like coughing up a lung EVERY morning, getting short of breath after climbing just one flight of steps, getting a bad case of bronchitis every winter that lasted about two months, etc.

For ten years I tried everything on the market to quit smoking. Nicotine gum/lozenges/patches, prescription drugs, and hypnosis (twice). Nothing worked. I tried vaping, and it WORKED. All of my previous health symptoms have disappeared, and I have actually found that I enjoy vaping even more than I did smoking. Years ago, I never would have thought that possible.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
When I was 18, I wouldn't have listened to a bunch of old farts like us either. Then again, when I was 18, I wouldn't have joined a forum full of old farts just to tell them I wasn't going to listen.
Some folks just need to learn the hard way.

Word.

:thumb:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I might have if I was feeling annoyed enough at my parents.... Ya know, old farts are old farts. I do hope the OP comes back and reads, even if he never responds, it may sink in one day.

To the OP: I was very self-destructive in my youth and most of it stemmed from anger. Like, burning myself kind of self-destructive. As I aged, I realized that it wasn't my job to change the adults that raised me and that I'd better take responsibility for my *own* actions, thoughts, and needs. It was very liberating, and I was able to put down most self-destructive actions/things except smoking because it had beaten me hook, line and sinker.

I got rid of an opiate habit that was hell and I STILL couldn't stop smoking, for example. Smoking gets its hooks in you pretty fast, and rather deep. Whether or not the adults around you would "enjoy" you not smoking, or not, YOU will be the major reaper of your consequences, not your parents.

I was very unhappy (although happy) to see my 18 year old son reaping some pretty severe consequences for some of his choices as a youth, including some jail time, endless fines, and probation for 9 months, he's still working on getting that driver's license back. Although I was very sad and WORRIED for my son, I was not the one sitting in jail reaping his consequences, he was. I can pretty much guarantee that while I felt sad for my kiddo, and to an extent, some guilt, I was having a WAY BETTER time than he was, and I didn't feel so guilty that I DID NOT think that his choices were all his own.

I am merely pointing out that when you smoke AT someone, it does rebound back for the most part on YOUR body, NOT theirs. You are an ideal candidate for vaping given the amount you are smoking, and you might actually enjoy it if you tried. But either way, the sadness/pain/health consequences you choose to reap will be all your own. The caring adults in your life may all be long dead by the time you reap them, as well....

I really hope you choose the brighter path.....

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
@ScottP I don't know if you were being sarcastic. :blink:

It wasn't so much sarcasm as it was allegory. Think of it as a commentary on the short attention span, the constant need to be entertained, and the propensity for playing games that seems to plague the modern teen.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It wasn't so much sarcasm as it was allegory. Think of it as a commentary on the short attention span, the constant need to be entertained, and the propensity for playing games that seems to plague the modern teen.
I can relate to that. My teenage kids used to get on me for smoking. I knew they were correct, and I was eventually able to quit thanks to vaping.

Having said that, when my son turned 18, he began to smoke :blink:. When I confronted him about it, he would say he could quit at any time, he wasn't addicted. Well, we all know how that turns out. It doesn't take long to get addicted; and he was in denial. I tried to get him to convert to vaping, but he said it wasn't the same and wasn't as satisfying.

Everyone in his and his sister's peer group smoked. As teens tend to do, they smoked while just hanging out together. My daughter never did take up smoking, but was experiencing some peer pressure to start. She asked for a vape setup, using a non-nicotine flavored e-liquid, to use while with her smoking friends. Factoring in the situation, I purchased one for her. I would rather she vape non-nicotine than take up smoking.

Vaping soon became a trendy thing for their group. Even my son began vaping. Seems like it was more acceptable coming from his sister than from me. Today, he is a vapor and not a smoker.

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I wouldn't have joined a forum full of old farts just to tell them I wasn't going to listen.

We need to start a program to get y'all tattoos, face piercings, and ball caps; just like the kids on youtube.

It would be a great way to give back to the community.

Reactions: Asbestos4004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread