FDA So what might really happen with regulations/bans? Should we be stocking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Could it be the NRT is Not Designed to be Used Indefinitely?

Where as e-Cigarette Use may be?

The FDA has approved NRT products for indefinite long term use, in large measure because of long-term epidemioligical studies on snus. It's very simple: if e-cig sellers make NRT claims or smoking cessation claims, the FDA will clamp down, saying those products are being sold as unapproved drugs, rather than as recreational tobacco products.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The FDA has approved NRT products for indefinite long term use, in large measure because of long-term epidemioligical studies on snus. It's very simple: if e-cig sellers make NRT claims or smoking cessation claims, the FDA will clamp down, saying those products are being sold as unapproved drugs, rather than as recreational tobacco products.

Can you Imagine someone wearing a Patch everyday for the Rest of their Life?

LOL

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Personally I notice a distinct difference in my mood and ability to focus when I drop from 24 to 18 for just a day,

With all due respect, this is almost certainly a psychosomatic reaction. There just isn't enough of a difference between 24mg and 18mg for physiological symptoms to manifest themselves just because you switched from the former to the latter. If you put each one in an unmarked bottle and didn't keep track of which you were vaping on a given day, I'd be willing to bet my life savings you wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
With all due respect, this is almost certainly a psychosomatic reaction. There just isn't enough of a difference between 24mg and 18mg for physiological symptoms to manifest themselves just because you switched from the former to the latter. If you put each one in an unmarked bottle and didn't keep track of which you were vaping on a given day, I'd be willing to bet my life savings you wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever.

I tend to agree. Everyone is different, but I went from 36 mg, to 24, to 18 and then to 12 and I never noticed the slightest difference. And that's after smoking cigs for 45 years. It's a difficult habit to understand with simple logic, and science does't offer much. I have read some studies where the tried to get rats addicted to nicotine (without the other components of tobacco smoke). Nearly all of the experiments failed to show clear signs of dependency. One recent experiment succeeded, but it was very difficult to do. They had to time the dosage and frequency perfectly, and even then they got signs of only moderate dependency--nothing approaching the levels observed with truly addictive drugs. Reading between the lines, I could tell they were disappointed. :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Hiccups are a precursor to vomiting from too much nicotine. I get hiccups at 24mg and not at 18mg. That said, at one point, early on, I was able to vape 24mg, but have reduced that from year one. In fact, it was the fact that I grabbed an earlier bottle of eliquid, thinking it was a current one, where I first recognized this phenomena. I picked up the 24mg bottle by mistake - in effect - an 'unmarked bottle' because I didn't notice it was 24mg beforehand. Similar label, different mg. I don't recall any effects on focus, etc. nor have I tried to see if there was any difference, but the hiccups is a physical thing.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

That's exactly how I found out how big the difference actually was. I filled my tank with some 18 mg thinking it was 24, and went about my day. Yeah, I certainly noticed the difference.

I tend to agree. Everyone is different, but I went from 36 mg, to 24, to 18 and then to 12 and I never noticed the slightest difference. And that's after smoking cigs for 45 years. It's a difficult habit to understand with simple logic, and science does't offer much. I have read some studies where the tried to get rats addicted to nicotine (without the other components of tobacco smoke). Nearly all of the experiments failed to show clear signs of dependency. One recent experiment succeeded, but it was very difficult to do. They had to time the dosage and frequency perfectly, and even then they got signs of only moderate dependency--nothing approaching the levels observed with truly addictive drugs. Reading between the lines, I could tell they were disappointed. :)

Two things here: 1) It really is unusual for someone to drop their nic level that dramatically and not notice a difference, so please count yourself lucky :) and 2) you're assuming I'm addicted for the sake of being addicted. I mentioned at one point (idk if it was this thread or another) that "addiction" to something may just mean that you're getting something you need out of it, and medical science hasn't caught up with why you're addicted to it yet.

It may sound rather vague to say I have issues with focus, but would it be vague to say that I got sent to a neurologist when I was little because I spaced out so much my teacher thought I was having seizures? That's what I'm dealing with here. I don't have a definitive diagnosis because whatever's going on up there doesn't fit into a neat mold (i.e. I have some kind of mix of attention deficit and dissociative disorder with a mood condition, but that never quite got nailed down), but I do know that I cannot take attention deficit drugs. Nor would I want to because nicotine works extremely well and has so few side effects.

Think of it this way: if you needed pain medicine and you accidentally took a pill that was lower in strength than your usual dose without realizing it, would you notice the difference? I am not dependent on nicotine because I use nicotine, I am dependent on it because it helps me function.

(Fwiw, what I'm doing is known pejoratively in some medical circles as "self medicating", but I loathe that term because I've only seen it used to imply that if I choose something other than doctor-prescribed pharmaceuticals I'm doing something wrong.)

Hiccups are a precursor to vomiting from too much nicotine. I get hiccups at 24mg and not at 18mg. That said, at one point, early on, I was able to vape 24mg, but have reduced that from year one. In fact, it was the fact that I grabbed an earlier bottle of eliquid, thinking it was a current one, where I first recognized this phenomena. I picked up the 24mg bottle by mistake - in effect - an 'unmarked bottle' because I didn't notice it was 24mg beforehand. Similar label, different mg. I don't recall any effects on focus, etc. nor have I tried to see if there was any difference, but the hiccups is a physical thing.

Thank you Kent :) it goes to show that everyone reacts to nicotine differently. I think for any drug there are certain thresholds where someone will have a different reaction, and those thresholds are different for each person. For Kent and I there is a distinct difference between 18 and 24 mg, others may not notice a difference there but will at, say, dropping from 12 to 6. It is person-specific - you cannot assume your experience applies uniformly to everyone else.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I think for any drug there are certain thresholds where someone will have a different reaction, and those thresholds are different for each person. For Kent and I there is a distinct difference between 18 and 24 mg, others may not notice a difference there but will at, say, dropping from 12 to 6. It is person-specific - you cannot assume your experience applies uniformly to everyone else.

Wouldn't you tend to vape more to get the same level of nicotine in your bloodstream?

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Wouldn't you tend to vape more to get the same level of nicotine in your bloodstream?

It's kinda hard to vape more than I do :D

I am looking into upgrading my equipment to get more out of it so I can drop my nic level a little, and be able to go longer without it (or at least be able to use up all this 18 mg my mom gave me). I do seem to get more nic when I use my nemesis mod and drop my resistance some (I've mostly been using ego batteries with skinny tanks). But if I put 18 mg in my gladius with an 1.8 ohm coil and an ego battery, it feels like I'm constantly trying to catch up... you know how people feel when they haven't had their morning coffee yet? That's how I feel when I vape 18 mg on a standard ego setup. :(

I'm still playing around with equipment so I'll have it figured out eventually :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

For me, I was actually in 'pacifier mode' starting out. Now my need for nicotine in the blood stream has been reduced (although I'll never go to zero nic) - although some of that in the better hardware I have now vs. when I started. But I can go quite a while without vaping compared to earlier and the gap is even greater vs. with cigs - I smoked 3 packs a day.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I wasn't even a heavy smoker (half a pack a day on average) and I had to vape pretty much constantly for the first 3-4 weeks to keep myself from wanting a cigarette. Eventually, my intake tapered off on its own, to the point where now I only vape about 1 ml a day or even less.

It's easy to see why there are so many people who briefly try e-cigs and then go back to smoking because they don't get sufficient nicotine satisfaction. A lot of us around here like to chalk up those failures to "Well, you were probably using some cheap gas station product and that's why it didn't work," but I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think the majority of failures are more attributable to people not understanding that when you first make the transition, you need to vape a lot more than you smoked in order to maintain the nicotine levels to which you're accustomed.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
People seem to think patches cost too much. I work in a pharmacy and
the majority of people who actually pick up their patches are people who are
on medicaid with $0 copays. Those whose insurances don't pay for the patches,
they don't EVER pick up their patches.

Sometimes I forget that nicotine gum/patches still require a prescription in some states. Here in California it's been about 10 years since they went OTC, and there are no age restrictions or anything. Which makes it rather screamingly ironic that we've got all these state legislators demanding onerous restrictions on the sale of e-cigs and vaping supplies, on the grounds that nicotine is an insipid public health menace that must be kept out of the hands of children at any and all costs. My 10 year old daughter could walk into CVS and buy an unlimited amount of nicotine gum in all manner of "kid-friendly" flavors, yet I don't hear any elected officials or public health bureaucrats uttering one word of protest about it.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
People seem to think patches cost too much. I work in a pharmacy and
the majority of people who actually pick up their patches are people who are
on medicaid with $0 copays. Those whose insurances don't pay for the patches,
they don't EVER pick up their patches.

They do! I remember when they first started selling those over the counter, I walked into the store one day and saw boxes of nicorette gum in different flavors, and then boxes of patches at different doses, and then I saw the price tags :shock: all I could think was, why would anyone want to even try quitting this way if it costs more than smoking? Isn't that a disincentive?? The only reason I ever tried patches is because my state will give out a free two week supply to anyone who wants to quit.

I wasn't even a heavy smoker (half a pack a day on average) and I had to vape pretty much constantly for the first 3-4 weeks to keep myself from wanting a cigarette. Eventually, my intake tapered off on its own, to the point where now I only vape about 1 ml a day or even less.

It's easy to see why there are so many people who briefly try e-cigs and then go back to smoking because they don't get sufficient nicotine satisfaction. A lot of us around here like to chalk up those failures to "Well, you were probably using some cheap gas station product and that's why it didn't work," but I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think the majority of failures are more attributable to people not understanding that when you first make the transition, you need to vape a lot more than you smoked in order to maintain the nicotine levels to which you're accustomed.

I am feeling a bit like the odd man out here :) I've been vaping for 9 months now and haven't dropped my nic level or intake at all. I still feel like I want a cigarette if I hang around smokers and I only have 18 mg in my tank, it feels like puffing on air to me :unsure:

My mother said the same thing though, she's been vaping for the same length of time as me and she actually had to raise her nic level a few months ago from 18 to 24 because she started having cravings again. It must run in the family I suppose.

I am not bothered by it at all though. Nicotine really isn't that bad. The way I see it, if someone drops to no nic or low nic, good for them, but if they don't, as long as they use a clean delivery system they're fine. Life is not without risks, and there are many, many greater hazards in life than vaping nicotine, for sure :)

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I am feeling a bit like the odd man out here :) I've been vaping for 9 months now and haven't dropped my nic level or intake at all. I still feel like I want a cigarette if I hang around smokers and I only have 18 mg in my tank, it feels like puffing on air to me :unsure:

I sometimes feel like the odd man out in a different way, in that I don't really understand why people are so self-congratulatory about switching to a lower nic level, or why they seem to think it's such a significant milestone when they do. First of all, it only seems like we're unwittingly lending credence to utterly discredited ANTZ arguments when we act like we're in a race against time to ingest as little nicotine as possible. Since there's practically no evidence that nicotine is harmful in and of itself, why should we act as though it is? Second, in my estimation, switching to a lower nic level seems like a great way to spend more money than necessary (because it stands to reason that you'll go through more liquid when you switch to a weaker strength) while simultaneously making your vaping experience less enjoyable.

Personally, I only vape 24mg liquid, I have from the beginning, and I don't have any inclination to switch. I just don't get any enjoyment out of the weaker stuff; I like strong flavor and a strong throat kick. If I want to consume less nicotine, I'll just vape less often. As I mentioned above, the frequency with which I vape has been steadily diminishing ever since I first made the switch, to the point where I now vape quite a bit less often than I used to smoke. If I'd gone the route of periodically switching to a weaker strength of liquid, I very much doubt that would be the case. With 24mg, I can take one or two drags and be content for the next three hours or more.

To put it more simply: despite what a lot of vapers seem to think, there's no direct correlation between the strength of liquid you use and your level of nicotine dependence. Rather, it's frequency and duration of use that are the relevant variables.

Last edited:

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
@dragonpuff ur not the odd man out at all. After reading many stories like yours, I too went back up in nic from 12 to 24mg after 3 years of vaping 12. It's been a couple months now at the new nic level and I feel better with myself + my vaping has gone from 8-10mL/day down to about 3. I no longer need to be vaping constantly to get that clarity and focus I'm looking for. A few pufs every half hour and I'm good.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you Nate and Dr. MA :) nicotine can be beneficial in many ways, and since it's not dangerous (at least at normal vaping levels) it doesn't seem reasonable to deprive yourself of it if you derive some real benefits from it.

I can see why some people are very excited to lower their nic levels, in that it can feel freeing to rid yourself of a habit, much like it felt freeing to quit smoking. And while nicotine can have many benefits, if you're not actually deriving a benefit from it there is no use in continuing to inhale it. Some people are really addicted to smoking because of the ritual behavior and not for the nicotine, so for them I'm sure it's nice to be able to finally get rid of a drug they don't need.

That said, I do not understand why so many people have the assumption that we all should quit nicotine, that it should be everyone's goal. If it's not dangerous then why should everyone quit? It's the same as the people who think everyone should vape 100% VG, or that everyone should get into third generation mods and RDAs and lose the ego setup. There is no best way to vape, there is only what is best for each person. The whole reason vaping works so well to get people off cigarettes is because there is so much variety that everyone can tailor it to their own specific needs. That variety should be encouraged. If someone loves cigalikes, then great. If someone prefers 36 mg nicotine, then more power to them. All that matters is that you find what works for you.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
It's the same as the people who think everyone should vape 100% VG, or that everyone should get into third generation mods and RDAs and lose the ego setup. There is no best way to vape, there is only what is best for each person.

^^^ This. ^^^ I find myself getting more and more annoyed with hardcore vaping aficionados who look down their noses with self-righteous disdain at anyone who doesn't use the same uber-fancy gear that they do. I happen to like my eGo. It works perfectly fine for my needs, and I have neither the need nor the desire to buy some ridiculous $200 mech mod to impress my friends with. I also happen to prefer using cartos/cigalikes when I'm away from home. It's not because I'm ignorant or uninformed or "not a real vaper." It's just what I prefer, and I don't need some snot-nosed twenty-something year old cloud chaser getting up in my face thinking he's going to educate me about the error of my ways. Step off and mind your own damn business, kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread