Sonic Cleaner Steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I've decided to enhance the steeping process of my liquids with a sonic cleaner.

If anyone out there does that, how long do they have to be in the cleaner to get a good steep? Do you still need to let the liquids sit in a dark place a week afterwards? And how long do you leave them in the cleaner?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ultrasonic works fine, but many of us use a drink stirrer/frother for the same purpose. It's quick and easy and effective. A few seconds with the frother turns the mix into thousands of tiny bubbles that rise and break in a few minutes, leaving the juice clear. The action of the bubbles seems to mix the juice thoroughly. Since frothing I only use my UC for cleaning new atomizers and jewelry, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROV02/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
ultra02.jpeg

Use mine all the time. Works great. Usually 10 30 min cycles. From what I've read, 1hr = 1 week. YMMV. I let the cleaner rest about 10 min after ea cycle.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
how long do they have to be in the cleaner to get a good steep? Do you still need to let the liquids sit in a dark place a week afterwards? And how long do you leave them in the cleaner?

You would figure 1 hour of steeping for each week of natural steeping.

For example:

If you usually let a mix sit in a draw for 3 weeks then instead steep in the UC for 3 hours.

After the UC steep let it sit for 1 - 2 days and it should be good to go.

You can also use the same method for a crock pot heated to 140 - 145F.

I've also used a heated magnetic stirrer (140 - 145F) using the same method.

There are many other methods of steeping. For a full rundown on this read my blog on steeping.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I bought one for steeping, but I rarely use it (occasionally if I'm trying a new flavor) and in a rush. I have heard UC can mute some flavors, so for most of my recipes (especially since I'm on a mixing schedule now) I tend to avoid the UC (although it sure comes in handy for cleaning stuff like tanks, dentures, etc. LOL.

I think it will reduce steep times, and one hour, one week is the figure I've always heard. Etc. I don't think you need to heat the water (if you have that option on your UC) the agitation itself seems to do the trick, and there would be less degradation of flavors, I'd think. Etc.

Anna

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I use a lab stirrer and a sonic cleaner. I run my sonic cleaner for 30 minutes with 1 to 4 bottles of juice at a time @ 38 degrees C. Then I stash them away to allow them to steep further. Most of my juices after the ultra sonic bath are ready to vape.

When I use the lab stirrer the juice becomes cloudy from all the bubbles and such. It is amazing for mixing but the Ultra Sonic cleaner makes the lab stirred juice crystal clear.

For me the UC is used most at 30 minutes like I said above but on blends of juice that have dessert flavors I will turn the heater element off on the UC machine and run for 1 hour.

Some people say you should add nicotine after running the US cleaner because heat and nicotine do not go well together but I have tested it both ways and found zero difference in the taste of the juice either way. So I mix the juice and nic at the same time then run it through the US cleaner.

I will not ever mix juice without the sonic bath. It is awesome.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Ultrasonic works fine, but many of us use a drink stirrer/frother for the same purpose. It's quick and easy and effective. A few seconds with the frother turns the mix into thousands of tiny bubbles that rise and break in a few minutes, leaving the juice clear. The action of the bubbles seems to mix the juice thoroughly. Since frothing I only use my UC for cleaning new atomizers and jewelry, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROV02/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave, I'm intrigued. How long do you use one of these in a mix?

Thanks

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I use a frother a couple times for about 20-30 seconds each time, while keeping the juice warm on a coffee cup warmer for 1/2 hour.
I mix my juice in a small glass container, and place that in a small bowl of hot water, and place that on the warmer.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I have one for work (jeweler). I have used it in the past but really didn't see any benefit.
Most of my recipes work with shake and vape and when I'm on a flavor chasing jag they have plenty of time to age naturally.
With the two recipes I have that absolutely needed age to be vapable (TFA Caramel Cappuccino and Tiramisu) only time worked.
I decided the heat degradation risk to the nicotine wasn't worth it (they get hot even without the heat on).

But if that's what it takes for people to buy ultrasonics so they don't bring me their rings with years of skin, hair, poo, food, lotions and everything else they've stuck their hands in packed under the stones and then stick all that in their mouths to use slobber as the universal ring remover ... ultrasonics are great for speed steeping:lol:

• Useful
Reactions: christylh8

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
How long do you use one of these in a mix?
Depends on the quantity I’m mixing with my Badger. If it’s a smaller batch, maybe seconds. 50 ml +, a bit longer. I use it the minimum possible to achieve a thorough mixing. When I begin to see that frothing action, I know it’s ready:D

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
When I first started I spent a LOT of money on every way possible to make juice steep faster. Never gained more than a few days. I know thats just my opinion but the only thing I found was that there is no substitute for good ole time. As far as blending goes Im not really a fan of mixers unless you can mix it without pumping air into the mix. Thats the whole reason I got a vortex mixer. Mix your juice, screw on the lid and hold it on the mixer for a minute or two and throw it on the shelf. (no I havent forgot Natasha, just havent had time to deal with them)

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
When I first started I spent a LOT of money on every way possible to make juice steep faster. Never gained more than a few days. I know thats just my opinion but the only thing I found was that there is no substitute for good ole time. As far as blending goes Im not really a fan of mixers unless you can mix it without pumping air into the mix. Thats the whole reason I got a vortex mixer. Mix your juice, screw on the lid and hold it on the mixer for a minute or two and throw it on the shelf. (no I havent forgot Natasha, just havent had time to deal with them)
I was about to mention that I know of a guy who might be getting a good deal on some:laugh: Seriously though, no worries! I have plenty to keep me busy also!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Dave, I'm intrigued. How long do you use one of these in a mix?

Thanks

I just use it for 30 seconds or so right after mixing to create a froth in the juice. The froth consists of tiny bubbles that rise to the top over the next 30 minutes. Right after frothing the juice looks like a milk shake. As the bubbles rise and break the juice becomes clear again. Frothing just ensures a good mix of the ingredients quickly.

Over time the juice develops its true color as it steeps naturally. Frothing just ensures that the mix is thoroughly blended immediately after mixing and further shaking isn't really necessary, although I might use the frother a couple of times over the next week to make sure mixing is complete. It only takes half a minute.

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I usually use my Badger to mix once I’ve added PG, nic & flavors. Then again after adding VG. This might not be necessary. I saw this as a suggestion on here, a few weeks ago, to help in thoroughly mixing and some seemed to think it helps shorten steep time. Possibly, the flavor molecules can mix together more easily without the VG. I can’t really comment one way or the other concerning steep time yet. I have noticed that I don’t get that frothing action until after I add the VG, no matter how long I mix. Some might say that by mixing twice, I’m adding twice as much air to the mix which could possibly cause flavor loss. However, the badger really mixes very quickly. I’m only mixing for a few seconds really and it doesn’t seem to need as much mixing once I add the VG.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I usually use my Badger to mix once I’ve added PG, nic & flavors. Then again after adding VG. This might not be necessary. I saw this as a suggestion on here, a few weeks ago, to help in thoroughly mixing and some seemed to think it helps shorten steep time. Possibly, the flavor molecules can mix together more easily without the VG. I can’t really comment one way or the other concerning steep time yet. I have noticed that I don’t get that frothing action until after I add the VG, no matter how long I mix. Some might say that by mixing twice, I’m adding twice as much air to the mix which could possibly cause flavor loss. However, the badger really mixes very quickly. I’m only mixing for a few seconds really and it doesn’t seem to need as much mixing once I add the VG.

My opinion is that frothing leads to a more homogenized mix. Yes, the air bubbles rise and break, but it's really no worse than shaking by hand and frothing probably does a more thorough job, especially as the bubbles rise and create little swirls in the juice.

I've sensed noticeably better flavor since I started frothing. At least it's lots better than hand shaking. Just my opinion.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I've sensed noticeably better flavor since I started frothing. At least it's lots better than hand shaking. Just my opinion.
I don’t have enough time and experience to give my vote yet (concerning flavor) but definitely leaning towards agreeing with you strongly! 100% better than hand shaking, no doubt!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I don't use my ultra sonic cleaner for steeping. Only cleaning. I didn't see enough of a difference in the juices I make to justify the effort. Instead, I have a paint shaker that I toss my freshly made bottles on for a minute or two after mixing. It helps reduce the steep time and makes my flavors that I cannot vape right away almost ready after an hour or two, instead of the week it normally takes.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I believe after reading everything I will use my sonic cleaner for an hour to get a week ahead, but I still plan to let them steep on their own in a nice dark place. Sounds like the sonic motion just gets things going so liquids can be better prepared for a few days of natural steeping time.

Also I'd not heard of the Badger air brush. You guys are filled with such useful info, thank you! :)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I believe after reading everything I will use my sonic cleaner for an hour to get a week ahead, but I still plan to let them steep on their own in a nice dark place. Sounds like the sonic motion just gets things going so liquids can be better prepared for a few days of natural steeping time.

Also I'd not heard of the Badger air brush. You guys are filled with such useful info, thank you! :)

Might I add, it is a good idea to test your flavors before and after sonic steeping (after they cool down from the sonic cleaner) to see if it actually helped anything in that particular flavor. I found that some flavors are helped and others are not from this method, and if your doing lots of flavors you could end up putting forth effort and time with no benefit on some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread