Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
Hey guys want to know if something like Magnetic-Stirrer-with-Hot-Plate would work good for this? Its really a set it and forget it kinda thing with the heat to boot.

This device was one of my first thoughts. I think this will definitely work. I didn't look at prices though. And if i see the price of this thing, i would still go for an ultrasonic. It's cheaper and works. The stirrer can only be used with larger batches and only one bottle at a time, while the ultrasonic works with more bottles the same time.
At that price you should be able to get an ultrasonic with a more-than-8-minutes timer and a heater option. Think about it before you decide.

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
haha!!!!!..... im trying to figure this out myself.. let me know if anything ended up working for you..

Check out the 'part-III' thread. It works great! I'm very happy with my ultra. It does a better job on mixing than on cleaning (although that's not too bad either).

Last edited:
I posted about this months ago and here's an update:

The e-liquid I make is 100% PG and the nic strength is 24-25mg. The suggested amount of tobacco flavoring to use is 1 - 2%. I found that if I put the bottled e-liquid in an ultrasonic cleaner and give it 30 minutes or so ... it took about a week off my 3 week steep time.

I used this cleaner:

Amazon.com: Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Cleaning Machine-White/Gray: Electronics

It wasn't very big, the cycle only lasted 3 minutes, and it didn't like too many repeated cycles without needing a "rest."

So ...

I did what all ecig and computer geeks do. I upgraded:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

It holds 2.5 liters instead of 2 cups, has 8 minute cycles instead of 3, and a heater option. I have to give the bottles a "warm bath" anyway ... might as well do that while the e-liquid is vibrating.

Yesterday I made three batches of juice resulting in six 70ml bottles. I wrapped a rubber band around the bottles so they'd stay put while vibrating, plopped 'em in the cleaner, and added water to just under the "max" line. Set the time for 480 seconds, pushed the heat option, and let 'er go.

Every time i passed through the kitchen yesterday I put it through another 8-minute cycle. Every other one without heat. I dunno how many cycles I gave it. Anywhere from 8 - 12 times I guess. This morning I sampled the 3 flavors: Desert Ship (FlavorArt), Cowboy (FlavorArt), and Tobacco (ecigexpess Signature). The Cowboy and the tobacco flavors are "there." Desert Ship ... almost.

Today I ran it through another 8 - 12 cycles. I'll see tomorrow where the Desert Ship is at.

But for someone like me with nooooo patience ... This Is Great!

I have the same ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight. I bought it close to 4 years ago and have yet to find a better unit without getting into commercial lines starting at a few hundred and up. What is great about this cleaner is the "puck" they mount to the bottom side of the tank is it runs at a fairly high frequency and has great output. The little store bought cleaners cant come close. Nice tank size is a bonus, but that would be useless if it had sub par electronics. I have also been steeping my e-juice with the ultrasonic method and have found it to be able to accomplish 2 weeks worth of steeping in a day. Thicker VG heavy juices seem to take a bit longer.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
This device was one of my first thoughts. I think this will definitely work. I didn't look at prices though. And if i see the price of this thing, i would still go for an ultrasonic. It's cheaper and works. The stirrer can only be used with larger batches and only one bottle at a time, while the ultrasonic works with more bottles the same time.
At that price you should be able to get an ultrasonic with a more-than-8-minutes timer and a heater option. Think about it before you decide.

Thanks i see your point on the one type at a time mixing. I would suppose it would be good for someone making larger batches of one flavor and selling them but im not going for that.

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
I'd be interested in the results after putting your juice straight into the cleaner, not in a bottle. Yes, after a thorough cleaning etc....

Well, it needs at least 1 liter of water (or liquid in your case) in it, or you'll fry it. I'm sure this will work too, but i'm not going to test it. I did not yet find a flavor that i would want to vape 1 liter off :)

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
Well, it needs at least 1 liter of water (or liquid in your case) in it, or you'll fry it. I'm sure this will work too, but i'm not going to test it. I did not yet find a flavor that i would want to vape 1 liter off :)

Unless someone could give me the recipe to Boba's Bounty :p I would make that in gallon sizes!

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Is it as easy as dropping the plastic bottles in the water and letting the cleanet run ? Some of the 8 min cycle versions are on sale for $25 and I am thinking of picking one up.
Thanks,
Chris

The only thing I'd add is secure the bottles together with a rubber band. So if you can get one for 25 bucks ... What Are You Waiting For?

logan115

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL USA
Last edited:

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
Is it as easy as dropping the plastic bottles in the water and letting the cleanet run ? Some of the 8 min cycle versions are on sale for $25 and I am thinking of picking one up.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, i do it like this:
Steeping01.jpg

See this post for a description.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm getting an ultrasonic cleaner with 480 second cycles for Christmas. This is going to be the best present of the year!!

Have Fun!

I'm making up a batch of Christmas Present Juices today. After 2 years of vaping my sister finally started filling cartos. So ... I'm getting her bunches of boxes of blank cartos and whipping up 150mls of e-liquid. All made possible by neatly bypassing a 3 week steep time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread