Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
One question... Would it be "bad" to just let a bottle float around in the Cleaner?

I dunno ... IF I were absolutely sure that it would be impossible for leakage to occur ... I'd say it was OK.

But ... I'm not absolutely sure, because of some sort of ultrasonic mumbo-jumbo voo-doo, water might leak into the bottle ... I don't want to risk it.

JD4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Maryland
bobalex-
I hope you saw my post in the other thread about holding the on button down on the $25 HF unit ($29 now, with inflation!). I used a rubber band to keep the on button pushed, and hold the lid more tightly closed (quieter). Works well. I tried tape at first but it just won't hold very long. Used a HF timer to give the unit a rest every 15 minutes, and to let the water bath cool down some.

I made 10 3ml sample batches of various tobacco flavors the other day, and 'power-steeped' them for 3 hours (15min on, 15min off, 3 hrs total on time) and all but two came out perfect. The two are a bit strong, but I may just need a smaller percentage (although I used 2%).

Thanks again for your great idea.

btw- this is a small unit and you can't stand a 50 or 60 ml or larger bottle in it, but rubber band to the rescue again. I'm going to wrap a band around bigger bottles, from top to bottom and lay it on it's side. The top shouldn't be able to unscrew with a rubber band on it, I don't think.

Last edited:

H0mebrew

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Louisiana
Has anybody oversteeped some juice yet and killed the nic?

I have the HF unit with heat and I put a 15ml batch of juice with 6mg nic and ran it as many times in an hour as I could with the heat on. When finished the water was extremely hot. The juice came out tasing like there was little or no nic.

Now I only use the heat maybe for the first 3 cycles. when the water starts getting cool I turn on the heat again for 1 or 2 cycles and that has been working fine.

jamesfarrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Threadjack Part II

And ...

Eyeglasses, CDs, DVDs-BluRays etc, and for what I really bought it for ... making Liposomal Vitamin C.

???!!!

When you take a Vitamin C tablet very little of it is absorbed. About 17%.

But ...

• If you dissolve Vitamin C powder in water ...

• Dissolve lecithin in water ...

• And pour both solutions into an ultrasonic cleaner and run it a few cycles ...

You get a Liposomal Vitamin C liquid that it 70% bioavailable vs. 17%.

More here: How to Make Liposomal Vitamin C At Home - YouTube

I've been taking an ounce or two every day since late May and the plagues that my son regularly brought home from school have not, like every single time over the last 8 years, laid me low. Placebo effect? Who cares??!! If I can get through Cold/Flu Season without losing 9 days or more to The Creeping Crud ... I'll be a happy guy. So far so good.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Awesome man, thanks so much for this. I've been researching and using vitamin C for years. But due to the cost of the liposomal C, I've never had it. Now I will. I'm off to harbor freight to buy an Ultrasonic cleanser today :)

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
... due to the cost of the liposomal C, I've never had it ...

I know! Who wants to spend two-three dollars a day on liposomal vitamin c when you can get enough Vitamin C Powder: Pure Vitamin C Powder and Lecithin Granules: Premium Lecithin Granules (Non-GMO) to make gallons of the stuff for $35?

And the best part is my wife's happier because we're healthier and I get vapable Desert Ship in a couple of hours instead of a couple of weeks.

jamesfarrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for that man, I'm stoked about this. I have all my cancer arsenal ready for when I get it. LOL. Been obsessed with Alt Medicine for years. This is the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned.

Question. Do you think it would be beneficial in any way to put the e-juice in a ziploc with a weight of some sort to submerge it in water prior to the ultrasonic? I'm just concerned with water getting inside the bottles. Probably would't happen since the caps are tight, or perhaps wrap each bottle in saran wrap?

jamesfarrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
G_Photo_4.jpg

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Question. Do you think it would be beneficial in any way to put the e-juice in a ziploc with a weight of some sort to submerge it in water prior to the ultrasonic?

I don't think so. I've been doing this for almost a year now and have had no problem with just rubberbanding the bottles together. I use plastic bottles I picked up at the drugstore. They sell them four to a pack and they're used for transporting liquids (shampoo etc) when you have to fly somewhere. They hold about 100ml and I fill up three bottles with 70ml per bottle.

I'm just concerned with water getting inside the bottles.

Me too. I was afraid the bottles might tip over and through some kind of ultrasonic voodoo water might sneak its way into the e-liquid. So a rubberband around the three bottles solved that problem. No tipping no how.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey James ... you are set!

Some liposomal vitamin c making tips.

I first started making this stuff about a year ago and I've tweaked the process until I don't think it can get any better. The first couple of batches I noticed some separation after a couple of hours. It's not bad ... just not perfect. Following this procedure I haven't had any separation at all.

I put 3 cups of water in the blender, add 2 tablespoons of the vitamin c powder, and blend (lowest speed) for 2 minutes. This seems to completely dissolve the vitamin c.

Then I turn the blender back on (lowest speed) and add 6 tablespoons of the lecithin one tablespoon at a time. Then I continue blending for 5 minutes.

Then pour into the ultrasonic cleaner and run for 2 - eight minute cycles (heat option off). I don't constantly stir during a cycle. 3 - 4 stirs per cycle and that's pretty much it. The end product goes into the fridge and no separation ... ever.

I make three of these batches (total 9 cups) at a time because at 3 ounces per day for 3 people ... we go through it pretty fast.

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well these are premade Bob, just the small bottles, so I elastic banded them together and they just toss and turn around in the water. I put some saran wrap around them just in case.

The only drawback I can think of is the saran wrap might interfere with the ultrasonic vibrational mojo.

thebassplayer

Feb 23, 2013
Spicewood, Texas
Thanks for the information as I am starting to make my own juices and the wait time is a real problem. I order this "Zeus Juice" from a vendor and it is fabulous. I noticed however that it's ready to vape as soon as you get it but only 4-5 days old. How did he get it steeped so fast? So I looked online and found this thread. This is exactly what I was looking for and believe it has answered my question and solved my dilema of having to wait so long to taste my creations.
Again thank you,
Peace and blessings

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I don't think so. I've been doing this for almost a year now and have had no problem with just rubberbanding the bottles together. I use plastic bottles

I use glass bottles for all my mixing. Do you think if I rubber band them together they may brake in an ultrasonic cleaner?

bobalex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I use glass bottles for all my mixing. Do you think if I rubber band them together they may brake in an ultrasonic cleaner?

It hasn't happened to me ... yet. Probably won't. I don't think my cleaner is capable of generating "Is it live or is it memorex" glass cracking/shattering moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread