Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
3056E6EE-19D9-4BE9-BA02-086A5A548158.jpeg
Gotta love the Spheroid.

Skwij

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I have to do similar with the Nemi, but the cap hides the gap. I wonder if I can find a clever chap who could cut grooves in the 16mm cap for me. Hmmm.

How about one of those insulator rings, like a thin spacer, with a slice cut out?
Hmmmmm.... . I have some of those laying around...... .

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg

Some people don't use the guitar strings I do
I assume you've done your research and realize DR Sunbeam Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Round-Core strings are the correct strings ... I mean, why risk having your guitar burst into flames with any other string?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
We are just going to have to draw conclusions that how I read things and how you read things are a little off. Because you've done it before on another post and to compare a smoking-cessation device to a firearm is stupid. That is the bottom line it is stupid.
this is taking up way too much of my time. These things take forever to do but it seems I have the choice of correcting misstatements of allowing them to stand. I compared one(1) aspect of an item to one(1) aspect of another item. That aspect was the attractiveness of controlling perceived danger. Then things got crazy. Too crazy to bother following imho. I do stand by that limited comparison. The rest of the accusations generally had little to do with my origional statement other than that aspect of the subject. I also admit that while that limited comparison remains true where I live the nation is a big place and it may not be as true elsewhere. I haven’t seen an iota of fact based evidence to that effect personally, but that it may be true has merit. I haven’t been everywhere. Almost no one has.
The pertinent issue was not the origional comparison but the fact that the subject as a result became political. It did. You want to keep talking about firearms talk to the mods. I’m referring to the phenomena I was talking about as “caveman have fire!” Now. It’s the same concept but lacks the political ramifications. I honestly don’t care what you think about firearms. It’s not vaping.
If someone has a question about whether or not the mech mods are still worth it, then maybe they want to know for a reason maybe they're considering getting into one we can't just go around and assume that everybody is a complete idiot.
sure I can. I do it several times a day. It’s safer. Do you assume that other people on the road are always paying attention? That’ll get you killed in short order in any major city. I can also tell you that every other person in every of the other 200 or 300 cars on that road views everybody else on that particular road including me as an idiot. Why wouldn’t they? It works well, partially because from time to time every one of them including will do something stupid, and if there aren’t any ambulances and tow trucks blocking several lanes of the road everyone gets home faster. Maybe that is part of the difference. More people in a given area doesn’t raise the idiot percentage but it does raise the raw numbers.
We also can't assume that everybody that's wanting to know about mechanical mods is a rocket scientist. what we need to do is make an educated guess that if this person doesn't know about these things that we can pass the information did they can study and learn. Either way we should be helping people not trying to dissuade them from making a choice.
agreed
I've been on tirade lately with people that broad-stroke everything and also fail to acknowledge that everything that they do or want to do has an implication.
. I have to. Ironic isn’t it.
The biggest reason that I've been on that tirade against people is because not only do they fail to accept the implications but a downright refused that they exist.
ditto
I understand that there have been a few incidents with mechanical mods but I don't demonize people that use them I also don't demonize the mods themselves.
I don’t either. New style batteries aren’t like the old ones though and require different treatment.
Perhaps than means I’m demonizing batteries. I personallndont think so. Modern batteries aren’t any more likely to attack than the old ones. They do have bigger claws and teeth though.
I acknowledge and I accept the fact that not everybody has the information right then and there when they choose to get into them. I also understand that some people want to learn as much as they can about these simple pieces of equipment.
they’re less simple i think than they seem. Even mech mods have some deceptively simple engineering in them. In general I agree though
But we can't go around and continue to try to dissuade people from wanting to learn about whether or not mech mods or even worth it, whether or not mech mods are more dangerous or more safe, and whether or not mech mods deliver better performance or worse performance then they're regulated counterparts.
I’m under the impression that is more or less the purpose of the site. More generally than merely mech vs regulated, but product quality and use is fundamental
I'm getting tired of The vaping community harping on each other about what they do and don't want.
ah. The secondary purpose of this site.
the bottom line is whatever works to keep them off the cigarettes is good. Whether it's a mech mod a pod system a DNA 1.21 gigawatts an ego or a cigalike.
Assuming the metric is “better than cigarettes” I agree with you.
[Some people are just curious some people tinkerers like myself. If we go around assuming that everybody is bad or that everything is bad then we're living in a real dangerous world.
I would say at least some of us do live in a real dangerous world. Danger is relative though. Both by severity and location. Compared to many other places in the world most developed countries are almost ridiculously safe. Hence the derisive term “first world problems”. Wherever you live is the world though. For you. The world is a relative term too I guess.

Reactions: stols001

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I assume you've done your research and realize DR Sunbeam Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Round-Core strings are the correct strings ... I mean, why risk having your guitar burst into flames with any other string?
Where do you come up with this stuff? After reading that almost peed my pants a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Where do you come up with this stuff? After reading that almost peed my pants a little bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I may have been dropped on my head a few too many times as a baby ... I mean, my parents never actually admitted it, but then that's exactly what you'd expect ... coincidence?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
It’s apparently taboo for me. Perhaps because I’m on the “wrong” side of the red/blue line. I got hammered for it up and down earlier.

Maybe the hammerers just considered you a friendly

I compared one(1) aspect of an item to one(1) aspect of another item. That aspect was the attractiveness of controlling perceived danger. Then things got crazy. Too crazy to bother following imho. I do stand by that limited comparison.

No, you didn't just make a simple comparison and no one hammered you because you don't like guns. You have an opinion and that's fine. What you did that angered everyone was to imply that gun owners go about waving their guns around as some sort of macho stupidity. You can't just insult a large swath of the population with such utterly false bovine excrement and expect it to go unchallenged. I have never seen a gun owner waving their guns around like some imbecile and I know a LOT of gun owners being from Texas. We don't go around insulting non-gun owners, and if we did, I am sure you would take offense to that.

Just to refresh your memory:
Mech mods are seeming to take on some of the same appeal as fire arms where their users wave them around and attempt to use them as indicators of their exactitude and confidence in their ability to not make dangerous mistakes.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
On one hand, it's bad to be cowardly and risk-averse. You see folks posting here, afraid of nicotine, ceramic, metal vapors, exploding batteries, popcorn lung, mech mods, and even PG; terrified to the point of inaction and uselessness. Too many members of society behave like frightened sheep.

On the other hand, it's hard to remain silent when you see a mouthbreather about to do something stupid. Like a dude who doesn't get Ohm's Law experimenting with a mech mod because it seems cool and edgy. If he gets his face melted off the media is going to latch onto that and demonize the entire vaping community.

The solution is to encourage self-reliance while ridiculing stupid decision-making. Too often we remain quiet, out of a misplaced sense of respect, and stand by while the perpetrator or his survivors lash out at and harm society, especially through the legal system. We may even think of him as a victim entitled to sympathy. Such thinking is indulgent, wrong-headed and counterproductive.

The Darwin Awards need to be codified in Law. When Goofus hurts himself, Goofus takes the blame, and society celebrates his contribution to its betterment. At least Goofus, for his numerous flaws, provided a fine example of what not to do.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No, you didn't just make a simple comparison and no one hammered you because you don't like guns.
False. on all three points. (Yes, three) I did reply to individual accusations and declarations of “reality”as they were presented, but I never with intent as you imply. Don’t put words in my mouth. I don’t like it.
You have an opinion and that's fine. What you did that angered everyone was to imply that gun owners go about waving their guns around as some sort of macho stupidity.
and it is my experience that there are gun owners that do. All gun owners? No. Some? Yes. I have personally experienced it on multiple occasions. I personally suspect it is mostly due to how their relationship with them developed. On some professions such as the military they are simply tools amongst many. Such behavior would be as silly as waving around a hammer or a wrench.
I’ve only seen that behavior once from former military and that was a person who had other issues as well. The three I did see it from well all male, all older, and all bought guns for “home defense”. It happened though.
You can't just insult a large swath of the population with such utterly false bovine excrement and expect it to go unchallenged.
The excremental qualities or lack thereof constitute your opinion. If you’d like finding a immensely larger group than the one you describe which holds beliefs opposite to the ones you seem to is ridiculously easy. Do not imply a majority stance here. It doesn’t exist.
I have never seen a gun owner waving their guns around like some imbecile
I They generally don’t do it in public as that’s actually illegal. Called “brandishment” I believe. It also depends on what exactly is meant by “waving guns around like some imbecile”. Also that is not a claim I ever made. Words in mouth, stop it.
As it happens I’ve seen such a thing. Specifically from the former military guy with neurological issues, though it was never mentioned in the thread
and I know a LOT of gun owners being from Texas. We don't go around insulting non-gun owners,
would you like a dozen counter examples? More? Let’s start with the stuff you just posted.
and if we did, I am sure you would take offense to that.
like you apparently just have? Sure. I take offense as easily as the next person. Do you think it is wrong for me to behave in a manner similar to yourself?
Just to refresh your memory:
My memory is quite variable. It’s close to eidetic but only sometimes and randomly. The rest of the time it’s garbage. If something sticks it sticks. If it doesn’t it’s generally gone. I have no control. Made academia quite difficult. Are you hoping to change my memory of the thread below by recounting it using the light of your views?
It’s not necessary. It’s still all there to be read.

As per the wave them around comment it depends on opinion. Open carry is not brandishment, but it’s often enough to empty a public place and have the police called. Is that “waving”? If it is done in such a way as to affect the behavior of those around them, then effectively IMHO yes. The legal definitions of brandishment and ADW are extremely specific. If I meant one of those I would have said so.
To perhaps put words in your mouth for a change:
You seem to want to imply I was accusing a large group of these crimes. You also seem to feel that any behavior short of those legal trip wires is completely fine. You also seem to feel that I should agree with you and my lack of doing so constitutes some severe moral or intellectual failure on my part deserving of righteous anger on your part.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ScottP

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm not going to argue with you, the evidence is apparent for anyone that looks. Stop playing the victim, you aren't one.
You never argued to begin with. You just made false accusations and unsubstantiatable claims while calling me names. Different thing. That’s not an argument, that’s a temper tantrum. Almost had an argument with the waving bit. That was the only part that was argument. Didn’t work but you did use an actual fact once at the very end. You’re right about the victim thing though. I fight back when attacked. The whole “Bugga bugga im so scary run away!” thing doesn’t work on me. Never has. Actually that’s not true. It used to work great. I just got sick of people using it.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You never argued to begin with. You just made false accusations and unsubstantiatable claims while calling me names. Different thing. That’s not an argument, that’s a temper tantrum. Almost had an argument with the waving bit. That was the only part that was argument. Didn’t work but you did use an actual fact once at the very end. You’re right about the victim thing though. I fight back when attacked. The whole “Bugga bugga im so scary run away!” thing doesn’t work on me. Never has.

Called you names? LOL Please quote where I have called you a name on this or any other thread on any forum ever. Go ahead, I'll wait.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Opinionated

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I think it's safe to say that the nobody is interested in seeing this argument proceed any further. It never ends well when the rebuttals are two pages long broken down into blow-by-blow responses. @bombastinator you are stepping on toes by being overly critical of the tech in the mech mod forum, and now you're just being pedantic. Don't you know this is their safe space? :D The rest of you quit taking the bait, it's becoming petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread