Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Called you names? LOL Please quote where I have called you a name on this or any other thread on any forum ever. Go ahead, I'll wait.
I was mostly thinking of the bovine excrement thing which wasn’t calling me names but calling what I said names. See, THAT’S an argument.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think it's safe to say that the nobody is interested in seeing this argument proceed any further. It never ends well when the rebuttals are two pages long broken down into blow-by-blow responses. @bombastinator you are stepping on toes by being overly critical of the tech in the mech mod forum, and now you're just being pedantic. Don't you know this is their safe space? :D The rest of you quit taking the bait, it's becoming petty.
Becoming? It’s been that way for a while now imho. I keep hoping the thread will die or return to its actual issue. I keep getting these angry false critiques though.

I wasn’t aware there was a “safe space” issue. Now that you mention it the two may be related.

Doesn’t mean I can reliably do it but you may have a point. I don’t often pay much attention to where something is posted so much as what is posted.

Pedantic is the way of things for me, sadly. I’ve always preferred bombastic myself but pedantic is accurate as well.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Oh boy! What have I done here opening this thread? Anybody want to buy a mech? LOL.
And also, the 18490s I use in my Provari's are all the same age and all biting the dust at the same time. Guess I did cycle through them fairly regularly.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Oh boy! What have I done here opening this thread? Anybody want to buy a mech? LOL.
And also, the 18490s I use in my Provari's are all the same age and all biting the dust at the same time. Guess I did cycle through them fairly regularly.
Fixing that one could be hard. I’m no provariotti though. There are many about who might be able to help. This particular thread is such an impacted pile of cruft that unless one of them happens to still be reading it against their better judgement help may not be incoming. All I personally can tell you is that Panasonic 18500s still seem to exist anyway. Barely. They’re NCR though. Not a lot of help I suspect. You may need to post a specific thread on your issue.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have to say by the popularity on FB and the prices on some mech fetching close to RRP and on some outrageously more than retail, Id have to say, I am SO glad I didnt give mine up.

Because of all the "fear mongering" and some just being plain stupid on safety guidelines, It made it possible for me to get some of the beauties I always wanted but was never able to either buy cause I could not afford them or didnt get cause Im lazy and refuse to do all the F5 etc and fickle ness of whats hot and whats not.

Many of the "have to haves" were hype, some still are because of the rarity , blah.... have been disappointments to me, even at 15.00 from 250 or more.

I have 3 regulated devices ( oldies, MMV Kainos, SX Minis MClass ) but most of my mods are tube mechs. Love em, always will , always use them with safety in mind, always ( I mean ALWAYS ) test on an ohm reader or on one of my beat up SX minis. I always check my batteries for compromised wrappers, dents etc. I never forget they are capable of malfunction as any item that has rechargeable batteries such as i Phones, cameras, etc.

I love that they dont wear out, even though on some I bought insulators and parts like a nut, most are still on their original insulators, contacts etc.

They just work for my style of vaping, which is .70 to 1.2 ohms, I make sure that the real oldies are not used with too low a resistance as some clearly were not designed for subohm because of the insulators or lack of.

Ive even started using hybrids, without fear. Its safety and knowledge , Ive heard of just as many regulated devices just catching fire or melting for no reason. With a mech if the battery is out, its not capable of malfunctioning. SOme reg devices have had thermal meltdowns while left charging all night via USB ( DOH ) and others have been turned off and fires started....

Its how one likes to vape, if youre a power vaper and like .5 and under then YES< regulated devices would suit you better as you dont have the fast drop off and battery changing as often.

If anyone wants to send me their old mechs PLEASE send them to me and I will either part them off for others in need of parts, restore them, and I rarely EVER sell them , might trade to some other nut like me. BTW Im NOT a flipper, If I buy a mod that sucks I either give it away or sell it for same price I bought it for , I dont think Ive ever made much of a profit, maybe 20% ? and thats cause I always put a higher price to start off cause people do love to haggle.

I started a FB page over a year ago just for sharing old vintage vape gear and for helping others that need parts or information to keep our beloved mechs and other old reg devices going for years to come. Its gone from just a few weirdos like me to 2380 members, and mine is not the only old mech fans group.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Ooooh I’m intrigued, how have you got around the bottom airflow? I’d love to put the Spheroid on my Sat18350.

I have a beautiful Sat 18500 and had the same problem with most of my 16mm RTAs, but someone made me this cool adapter from one of those heat sinks and it lifts it to the right height so I can get air.

Attachments

• Satmini-adaptr-0002.jpg
    Satmini-adaptr-0002.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Satmini-adaptr-0004.jpg
    Satmini-adaptr-0004.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Satmini-adaptr-0005.jpg
    Satmini-adaptr-0005.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Satmini-adaptr-0006b.jpg
    Satmini-adaptr-0006b.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 19
  • satmod-001.jpg
    satmod-001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 19

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Obama stated publically that he wanted ideally to regulate guns by county, but that doing so wasn’t practical. Not IMHO to take guns away from people who weren’t safe with them so much as to leave guns in the hands of people in places that were.

Oopsy, and then there was this thing called the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Written by America's Founding Fathers to save us from some's opinions or desires to disarm the citizenry. Pesky little thing that 2nd Amendment.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I'm curious if mech mods are still popular.
That's an easy one: No.

Do they still sell, and do people still use them? Yes. The same could be said for many things hobbyists pursue. But that doesn't make them "popular." Just click on this tab above and see how many of the new products introduced are mechs. Or go to a vape shop and look at their inventory.
upload_2019-4-15_23-28-53.png

In a very short time (relatively speaking, in consideration of the short lifetime of vaping), over 90% of the vape market will be pods, most of them (in volume sold) probably BT. Trust me on this. And if you don't want to vape pods, you'd better get yourself over to the "Are you done stocking up?" thread. I sincerely believe the speed that the vape market is going to change will surprise a lot of people.

Don't worry, it's not all bad. It was an adjustment to get used to vaping instead of smoking. And I believe I can easily avoid the all-out switch to pods if I feel I need to, fairly easily and inexpensively. But right now, I'm not feeling apocalyptic (yet). I'm just watching, and evaluating. And just like many watched cigarette prices, determining a quitting point based on that, I'll likely just deal with the changes and decide if things get bad enough to quit vaping.

And if things get bad and I feel weak, I'll just grab a bunch of my favorite atties, get nic legitimately or black market, and as many mechs as I can find. Our government can make mechs really popular again in a hurry if they want.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Oopsy, and then there was this thing called the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Written by America's Founding Fathers to save us from some's opinions or desires to disarm the citizenry. Pesky little thing that 2nd Amendment.
The second amendment shows very graphically how Wording is important.
Arguments about the second amendment are generally about terminology and intention. By its broadest interpretation it means “nuclear weapons for EVERYBODY!” No one seems to take it that far though. At least not very often. Most people stop somewhere between that and “single shot black powder flintlocks were what they were talking about! No Minnie balls either! Patch those bullets with bear grease or shoot smoothbore! Also, are you in a registered militia?”
Technically either extreme falls within the the law, depending on how one defines what the words mean. There may be some judicial rulings in the subject, but judicial rulings can be overridden by other judicial rulings.
America could make its gun laws even tighter than Germany’s without violating the amendment. It chooses not to though. Consumer gun manufacturers love to talk up the second amendment to drum up the crowds and sell more product but in practice it has basically no effect on actual legislation. It’s marketing.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
The second amendment shows very graphically how Wording is important.
Arguments about the second amendment are generally about terminology and intention. By its broadest interpretation it means “nuclear weapons for EVERYBODY!” No one seems to take it that far though. At least not very often. Most people stop somewhere between that and “single shot black powder flintlocks were what they were talking about! No Minnie balls either! Patch those bullets with bear grease or shoot smoothbore! Also, are you in a registered militia?”
Technically either extreme falls within the the law, depending on how one defines what the words mean. There may be some judicial rulings in the subject, but judicial rulings can be overridden by other judicial rulings.
America could make its gun laws even tighter than Germany’s without violating the amendment. It chooses not to though. Consumer gun manufacturers love to talk up the second amendment to drum up the crowds and sell more product but in practice it has basically no effect on actual legislation. It’s marketing.

You are very confused. You should read the Federalist Papers sometime.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Opinionated

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Agreed. You can't read a single sentence and understand its entire meaning a couple hundred years later. Context is important, and the Supreme Court has agreed multiple times. It was pretty clear Hamilton, et al meant for the arms to protect us from our own government. And that militias could and would be controlled by the federal government. Amazing prescience our founders had.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I spend a large and increasing portion of my life confused. Here you may be more confused than me though. You’re statement proves my point. Intent and definition of terms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Federalist_Papers

It’s a series of persuasive magazine articles/advertisements made by a few single future signatories of the constitution many months before it was even written. Big names, yes, some future presidents even. [EDITED. got the dates wrong reading the wiki. It was about the second continental congress, not the first]
There’s a decent argument though that even the preamble to the constitution wasn't the constitution until Lincoln added it on and the rest of the government backed him during the civil war. The federalist papers are orders of magnitude removed from even the preamble. They won’t be considered law unless the same sort of thing happens, and it hasn’t. Yet anyway. It could happen.

I’m sure the marketing departments of the aforementioned gun manufacturers love to wave them around and pretend they already are though.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The federalist papers are orders of magnitude removed from even the preamble. They won’t be considered law unless the same sort of thing happens, and it hasn’t.
Going to bed and had walked away from the computer. But realized in my last post, I should have commended you Bomb, for recognizing, in spite of your stated liberal bent, that citizens have the right to own guns at all.

But I wouldn't discount the influence of the Federalist Papers on Supreme Court rulings, which of course set precedent that is law.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
I spend a large and increasing portion of my life confused. Here you may be more confused than me though. You’re statement proves my point. Intent and definition of terms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Federalist_Papers

It’s a series of persuasive magazine articles/advertisements made by a few single future signatories of the constitution many months before it was even written. Big names, yes, some future presidents even. [EDITED. got the dates wrong reading the wiki. It was about the second continental congress, not the first]
There’s a decent argument though that even the preamble to the constitution wasn't the constitution until Lincoln added it on and the rest of the government backed him during the civil war. The federalist papers are orders of magnitude removed from even the preamble. They won’t be considered law unless the same sort of thing happens, and it hasn’t. Yet anyway. It could happen.

I’m sure the marketing departments of the aforementioned gun manufacturers love to wave them around and pretend they already are though.

The reason for reading the Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers is to better understand the arguments/discussions going on at the time of the birth of the Constitution. It really helps in understanding why each part of the Constitution was written and what they were attempting to give us the tools to guard against. As the primary purpose of the Constitution was to constrain the federal government, it always seemed to me to be important to know. Once you read those papers, you won't have to guess what they meant by different parts of the Constitution; nor will you have to take someone's opinion on Wiki.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Going to bed and had walked away from the computer. But realized in my last post, I should have commended you Bomb, for recognizing, in spite of your stated liberal bent, that citizens have the right to own guns at all.

But I wouldn't discount the influence of the Federalist Papers on Supreme Court rulings, which of course set precedent that is law.
The single sole job of the Supreme Court is to decide whether or not a given law is allowed by the constitution. That’s it. That’s all. It’s a major reason why they hear so few cases. The federalist papers aren’t even in their body of view. Unless of course they make it that way. The court has famously contradicted itself several times, though it generally does that very very slowly, and generally has to find itself a terrific reason to do so first. Using the federalist papers as such a body of law before it became such would make a terrific reason. If they used the federalist papers in a judgement decision it would by itself be enough to overturn that decision later. I’m not saying the second amendment is right or wrong or should be abolished, I’m saying it’s functionally irrelevant and everyone on Capitol Hill including the people raising it the most high know that. It’s the people who think it matters who are being fooled. It’s functionally very very vague. It means whatever anyone who can redefine its very easily redefinable terms says it does. It won’t be abolished because it’s not important. It’s marketing. In both directions. If someone says it isn’t that person is trying to use it to sell you something. That you believe it implies they were successful. 2nd amendment rights are a con used to scare people into doing what they are told.

That’s the joke. I DON’T have a liberal bent. In the 80’s I was a centrist leaning right. I’m literally THE most conservative person in my family politically. For a European I’d be downright right wing. My politics haven’t really changed. It’s the country around me that has. Now I’m a “screaming liberal”. I never went left. The country went right. I voted for Ventura fergodsake. I almost voted for Carlson. Would have but I didn’t have time. I had to prep for a test. (These are all Minnesota based things that have no meaning outside the state) I was ready to vote for McCain but as soon as he started running his rhetoric lost all semblance of being anything but utterly neutered party line garbage so I voted for the only candidate remaining with functioning parts. I voted against dubya bush and I voted against trump. Not because they were republicans but because I thought they were so badly compromised intellectually and morally that couldn’t be considered safe with a model train set. And so far it’s looking like I was right. By 80’s standards Hillary Clinton was a hardcore republican. I voted for her. That people think me a leftist doesn’t comment on my politics it comments on theirs.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Guys this is ECF not Reddit. Debating Constitutional law on an open internet forum is ridiculous. No one is going to agree and no one is going to change their position. So it just becomes a merry-go-round of stupidity.
Yep. My crime is one of reaction, generally. People drop casual political extremist commentary tidbits here and are astounded and infuriated when they are disagreed with. I would be most happy with no tidbits at all. I’m not going to just let it pass though. I’m not immune. I’ve probably left tidbits too. To some degree it’s inevitable. We live in the world. When I drop one it’s just as stinky and out of place as when anyone else does. Partisan politics here is like farting in an elevator. No one is in the elevator by choice. They’re all going somewhere else because they need to be there. Everybody farts though. Try not to do it, and if it happens say excuse me and move on.

To that end: mechs have a problem currently, and that problem is batteries. We are working with liquidized lithium and have been for over 10 years. The technology has been tweaked and made stronger, but it still fundamentally similar. Early in the life of liquidized lithium chemistries we had stuff with lower energy density that a simple mech could (barely) keep in check with simple strength. Now we don’t. There are new battery chemistries on the far horizon that may bring us back over the hump that was crossed. They haven’t happened yet though and they may in fact never work out. That’s the problem with new technology. There are speculators buying and hoarding mechs who are making the bet that it will happen, and when it does they’re going to make a killing. Personally I’m kind of doubting it will work for a simple reason: every single prototype next gen battery I’ve seen is square. It’s kind of a die roll. Will old mechs be rehabilitated with safer batteries of the same or similar enough form factor that they will suddenly become collectors items? Some apparently are willing to bet the answer is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread