Still popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Are mechs still popular? Absolutely. However, they aren't mainstream popular like regulated mods, sub-ohm tanks and pods.
Most new vapers I've come across don't even know what a mech mod is.

There does seem to be more interest from folks that have gotten into rebuilding and squonking on regulated squonkers, as that particular genre has gained momentum. Tons of mech squonkers around.

I like to tinker, disassemble, and explore the connection points. Personally, I have zero interest in anything regulated and non rebuildable nowadays.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This whole battery twitchiness is a new one on me. Since when are new batteries not as safe all of a sudden?
It’s not so much that they’re more likely to fail as that when they do fail they do it more energetically. Mostly because they hold more energy in the first place. That’s the issue with new batteries in old mods. Old mods didn’t have much or any venting because they didn’t need it. The old chemistry batteries just turned to hot black goo when they failed and a sealed case was fine for holding it. They also didn’t hold near as much energy. The new chemistry batteries have a higher energy density so when they fail the problems are bigger. The issue is they’re enough bigger to cause dangerous problems. Like the mod effectively turning into an incendiary grenade. New safety features like more larger venting near the vent point in theory help this.
The problems:
1) No popularly known testing of newer vent styles. We merely assume the larger better placed vent holes will solve it. We don’t actually KNOW. The only thing we DO know is that an old mech with new batteries it wasn’t designed to use can explode, because it’s happened at least twice and killed people.
2). No popularly known effect of gas venting. The actual vent gasses from a new chemistry battery are supposed to be both hotter and come I greater volume. Does this just mean a louder “pffttt” from the vent holes if a battery vents or are we talking a foot long rocket flame here?

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
s
But, but....you DO have a strict Voltage/Wattage limit on a Mech.:?:

Some people are romanticizing Mechs way too much; gifting them advantages they really, really do NOT have over a regulated. Ok, they are more durable; yes. Ok, maybe they give a slightly smoother vape. Not that I felt a difference when I tried, but if people say so, fine by me.

But they wont give you more power then a regulated, they dont give you more "freedom" or "control" over your vape. Its actually quite the opposite, Mechs are restricting.
And no, by and large they are not safer then a regulated either.
Man you sure did try to go well above where I was aiming. When I see you wattage and voltage limitations I mean if I can fire it it will likely fire on a mech without it hitting a voltage or wattage "cut off". I'm also not restricted on what I can build sure if I want to push the envelope I can build below .15, but why?

There are two sides to every coin I personally love my mechanical devices I also love my regulated devices if I want a good vape and I don't want to play with buttons or worry about TCR values or whether or not my tank is TC or replay friendly, I use a mechanical. Here we want to get into the technical up sides I'm owning a mechanical I can list many.

Owning a mechanical and using a mechanical it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I love my mechanicals I never will get rid of them and for those that are experienced in vaping those that are taking the time to learn about ohm's law battery safety and battery limits and a relatively reasonable people when it comes to safety not just of themselves but those around them, I would say if a mechanical mod is something that you're interested in then go get one.

As for the things that I would consider mechanical mods having over every other mod out there every other regulated device out there, the biggest one is they just work I can throw an atomizer on there and I don't have to worry about whether or not it's going to fire if the top of that I put on that mechanical mod is built properly or if the coil heads are good quality as soon as I push that fire button atomizer is going to fire. Another thing I appreciate with mechanical mods the vast majority of them have adjustable 510 pins so if I have an atomizer for the 510 pin sticks out too far, I don't have to worry about damaging the 510 connector on the device I can lower my PIN thread my atomizer on and call it a day. And you can say "but we have floating 510 pins on regulated mods", yeah and go take a look at wismec and what happened to the first string of reuleaux devices. Those press-fit 510 connectors were being pulled out, commonly because the pin on the atomizer was longer than the threads would allow. And I'm pretty sure the same thing would apply to almost every one of these mods I have a few regulated mods that I would not put some of my atomizers on just because the pain sticks out that far. And the pins stick out that far by design to be hybrid friendly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I still keep mechs in the daily rotation. In fact, I just bought a new limited edition one from Fakir's mods, a side-by-side in Walnut. One of the things I like best about mechs "falling out of fashion" is you can now buy some really fine iron, originally costing hundreds of dollars, for pennies.

Of course, I really do know how to use one safely.

Neither shall I be turning mine over to the local constabulary. If they come looking, I'll tell them about the tragic boating accident.

Hilarious, really. Never seen the "boating accident" used outside of a gun forum - love it.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
As predicted on page one, the mech mod fear mongers have once again proven me right.

Don't want a mech?...afraid of a mech, or your own ability to use one safely? Don't get one, or use one.

And I'm not even touching the gun argument. I'd rather bang my head against the wall. Just substitute the word "gun" for "mech" in the previous sentence and stop judging those of us that do use them competently.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Ignorance is bliss !!!!!

Guess some folks have never seen what happens when an "old battery" (ICR/LIPO) fails.
    Can "new batteries" (IMR/INR) fail?? Of course they can, but lithium-manganese based batteries are far less volatile than lithium-cobalt or lithium-polymer based batteries when they do fail.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Man you sure did try to go well above where I was aiming. When I see you wattage and voltage limitations I mean if I can fire it it will likely fire on a mech without it hitting a voltage or wattage "cut off".
    . You mean the bit where the electronics detects an action it’s programmers defined as so dangerous it shouldn’t be allowed at all? Those cutoffs? Me, I like those cut offs. I like em a lot.
    I'm also not restricted on what I can build sure if I want to push the envelope I can build below .15, but why?
    I’m with you there. My personal minimum is .2, but maybe I’m just a little more chicken or a little less trusting of wire manufacturers. Maybe both. People still seem to do it though. .1, .09 I’ve seen. They also make claims about how it’s “Da best EVar!!” or words to that effect. There is an evil desire within me to simply say nothing and let them possibly die. What bugs me is they keep telling newbs to do it too.
    There are two sides to every coin
    true. I’m going to give you my grandfather’s retort to that one “there are also two sides to every cow flop: the wet side and the dry side”. He always struck me as a bit odd. The man was born in the 1890’s though and fought in world war 1. One can expect his world view to have been a bit different.
    I personally love my mechanical devices I also love my regulated devices if I want a good vape and I don't want to play with buttons or worry about TCR values or whether or not my tank is TC or replay friendly, I use a mechanical. Here we want to get into the technical up sides I'm owning a mechanical I can list many.

Owning a mechanical and using a mechanical it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I love my mechanicals I never will get rid of them and for those that are experienced in vaping those that are taking the time to learn about ohm's law battery safety and battery limits and a relatively reasonable people when it comes to safety not just of themselves but those around them, I would say if a mechanical mod is something that you're interested in then go get one.
    lot of uncontrollable “ifs”. I consider it a general axiom that there are a lot more people who think they know what they are doing than there are those that actually do. People dying from exploding vapes is a direct pain in my behind so I take steps. Also I don’t even consider me particularly safe with a mech mod. People get old and forget things, or get distracted and forget things. Statistically it’s not a matter of IF a professional roofer falls off a roof, it’s when.
    As for the things that I would consider mechanical mods having over every other mod out there every other regulated device out there, the biggest one is they just work I can throw an atomizer on there and I don't have to worry about whether or not it's going to fire if the top of that I put on that mechanical mod is built properly or if the coil heads are good quality as soon as I push that fire button atomizer is going to fire.
    yes. Yes it will. And if it’s built wrong the battery will be invisibly be damaged or it might just go off right in your hand. Hence cutouts. Didn’t used to be that way, and might not be that way again in the future. Now is a bit more of a problem though.
    Another thing I appreciate with mechanical mods the vast majority of them have adjustable 510 pins so if I have an atomizer for the 510 pin sticks out too far, I don't have to worry about damaging the 510 connector on the device I can lower my PIN thread my atomizer on and call it a day. And you can say "but we have floating 510 pins on regulated mods", yeah and go take a look at wismec and what happened to the first string of reuleaux devices. Those press-fit 510 connectors were being pulled out, commonly because the pin on the atomizer was longer than the threads would allow. And I'm pretty sure the same thing would apply to almost every one of these mods I have a few regulated mods that I would not put some of my atomizers on just because the pain sticks out that far. And the pins stick out that far by design to be hybrid friendly.
    yep. Releaux made a dumb engineering mistake and paid for it. Engineering mistakes are everywhere though. Mechs are not immune. They’re just older and kinks have been worked out. They’ve effectively been beta tested. I read somewhere that it usually takes 6 prototypes to get a given object working correctly but engineers are generally only allowed 2 or 3. Sometimes as little as one.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Hilarious, really. Never seen the "boating accident" used outside of a gun forum - love it.
    I advise against use of the “G” word. It got me in a lot of trouble.

Had to look up “boating accident”. From the looks of the internet it may not be one that works any more.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ignorance is bliss !!!!!

Guess some folks have never seen what happens when an "old battery" (ICR/LIPO) fails.
    Can "new batteries" (IMR/INR) fail?? Of course they can, but lithium-manganese based batteries are far less volatile than lithium-cobalt or lithium-polymer based batteries when they do fail.
    I’ve had two “CDR” I believe the popular and incorrect term was fail on me in my pocket. That “hot black goo” descriptor wasn’t academic. It was direct observation. There were other even earlier non lithium chemistries that were even worse. You seem to be referring to one of those. AFAIK though all batteries using the semi standard mimimeter size metric are and have been some sort of lithium chemistry, so the other chemistries don’t matter so much for purposes of ecigs.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    . You mean the bit where the electronics detects an action it’s programmers defined as so dangerous it shouldn’t be allowed at all? Those cutoffs? Me, I like those cut offs. I like em a lot.
    I’m with you there. My personal minimum is .2, but maybe I’m just a little more chicken or a little less trusting of wire manufacturers. Maybe both. People still seem to do it though. .1, .09 I’ve seen. They also make claims about how it’s “Da best EVar!!” or words to that effect. There is an evil desire within me to simply say nothing and let them possibly die. What bugs me is they keep telling newbs to do it too.
    true. I’m going to give you my grandfather’s retort to that one “there are also two sides to every cow flop: the wet side and the dry side”. He always struck me as a bit odd. The man was born in the 1890’s though and fought in world war 1. One can expect his world view to have been a bit different.
    lot of uncontrollable “ifs”. I consider it a general axiom that there are a lot more people who think they know what they are doing than there are those that actually do. People dying from exploding vapes is a direct pain in my behind so I take steps. Also I don’t even consider me particularly safe with a mech mod. People get old and forget things, or get distracted and forget things. Statistically it’s not a matter of IF a professional roofer falls off a roof, it’s when.
    yes. Yes it will. And if it’s built wrong the battery will be invisibly be damaged or it might just go off right in your hand. Hence cutouts. Didn’t used to be that way, and might not be that way again in the future. Now is a bit more of a problem though.
    yep. Releaux made a dumb engineering mistake and paid for it. Engineering mistakes are everywhere though. Mechs are not immune. They’re just older and kinks have been worked out. They’ve effectively been beta tested. I read somewhere that it usually takes 6 prototypes to get a given object working correctly but engineers are generally only allowed 2 or 3. Sometimes as little as one.
    And again you demonize people for liking what they like just because it doesn't fit with what you like. Back in the days when I was a inexperienced person and I was a big risk taker I played with resistances well below .09. now I need you and everybody that's on that same and time mechanical mod to kick to understand when I say well below I mean triple parallel nano coil wrapped around a 1/64 drill bit. What do you think that that type of coil checked out at? I can reassure you there probably isn't an 18 650 26 650 or 2700 series battery that is capable of delivering the amps required to power that coil safely. when I check the resistance of that thing and I did check it not just on a resistance meter but also with a multimeter the resistance of that was it about 04. I even went below that and used 20 gauge super nano coils and got resistance is well below that. Again did they and is there anything capable that will fire at resistance is that low besides a mechanical mod? And we are just talking about resistance wires not nickel not titanium resistance wires. Things such as nichrome and kanthal and stainless steel.

The answer is no there is no regulated device that will fire at resistance is that low why people want to build resistance is that low is on them. did my batteries ever explode in my hand no they did not did my batteries ever get so hot that I couldn't use them know they did not. Was I an idiot for taking those risks absolutely I won't deny that. I'll be the first one to say I don't recommend you building it resistance is that low it's dangerous. but there are some people out there that no matter what you tell them they will build resistance is that low the problem that I'm seeing and this is going on not just on the vaping forums but everywhere else is that one guy dies from either a poor decision that he made or using defective or faulty equipment and now we demonize everything. Why do we do that why a bad thing happened yes bad things happened face it the safest thing that you could do it's still dangerous to do. When will you people learn to accept it I wake up everyday I go to work what can happen at work I can be killed I can be electrocuted something can blow up I can spontaneously combust but I still go to work and I don't demonize work just because of the probability of something bad happening. I own a car I drive that car what can happen my car can slide off the road I can hit a telephone pole I can hit somebody somebody can hit me I can die they can die people can die but I don't demonize vehicles. I have gas appliances in my house and out in my garage they can explode the containers can catch fire they can vent but I don't demonize gas appliances. this thing is in this is what I'm also noticing with some of these groups of people they seem to think that if you aren't one hundred percent with them that you're 100% against them you cannot do that to one another when are we going to stop?!

The bottom line if you are a mechanical mod user and you know what you're doing and I will say this time and time again - if you are a mechanical mod user do not stop using what you like just because somebody lost their life or / fear-mongering while using one. also if you are a mechanical mod user do not criticize your regulated Brothers for using what they like and for my regulated Brothers out there stop criticizing people that enjoy the simplicity of mechanical mods just because they like them. if we would stop attacking one another over what we believe to be weaknesses and or strengths in the products that we choose to use we would all be doing better off as an industry. or we can continue to rip one another apart and criticize their choice of products and favorites and things that they enjoy using and eventually watch as this industry is taken over by the FDA. at which point we'll all be back to square one because quite frankly I would rather smoke a damn cigarette right now than debate whether or not mechanicals or regulated mods are safer for you than smoking because it's just ludacris it's Insanity at its finest. the only thing that got me away from cigarettes was strangely enough on mechanical mod. And do you want to know why it got me away from cigarettes because it wasn't so complicated I could put a battery in it I could put my tank on top of it I could fill my tank after I built my coil and wicked my coil and I could guarantee every time it would fire. I didn't have to worry about adjusting things I didn't have to worry about my setting coming off of my device because I fat fingered a button I didn't have to worry about that. I knew when it was time to change my battery because my vape would become anemic. I also knew that I can build whatever I wanted to as long as it was okay by me. I wasn't constrained or restrained into a box one resistance or another. I also had the freed liberty to put whatever I wanted on top of that device.

it doesn't matter what device you use everything that you use in the electronic cigarette industry from the appliances that you use everyday in your home has an inherent risk associated with it. Bid electrical shock or the risk of explosion it has a risk associated with it waking up in the morning has a risk associated with it stepping outside during inclement weather has a risk associated with it breathing in the air around you has a risk associated with it everything has a risk associated with it and until you can find a way to eliminate that risk in its entirety you will continue to suffer from those risks. no matter how small or how large they are you will still continue to suffer from them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I’ve had two “CDR” I believe the popular and incorrect term was fail on me in my pocket. That “hot black goo” descriptor wasn’t academic. It was direct observation. There were other even earlier non lithium chemistries that were even worse. You seem to be referring to one of those. AFAIK though all batteries using the semi standard mimimeter size metric are and have been some sort of lithium chemistry, so the other chemistries don’t matter so much for purposes of ecigs.
    @bombastinator , I'm not sure what point you were trying to point out above. @tj99959 was saying that today's "safer chemistry" batteries (IMR/INR/NCR) are less likely to flame or explode during a short circuit than the older ICR and lipo batteries used in the past.

I never heard of a "CDR" battery. That is a battery specification term, not a chemistry or type of battery.

175811_9067000243-0.jpg

lipo battery - the most volatile of all battery chemistries; requires protection circuitry. Used in eGo, pod mods, and internal battery mods.

CS-KDC200SL-3_c4fa1d62-47df-4ac3-9880-8d8d11e4cde1_400x400.jpg

lipo battery pack - same chemistry as above, just in a different form factor

105-18650-r600__57923.1399405576.jpg

ICR (lithium cobalt) - slightly safer than lipo; still requires integrated protection circuit

DSC_2133.jpg

IMR (lithium manganese) - safer chemistry; does not require integrated protection circuit

s-l300.jpg

"hybrid" chemistry (INR = lithium nickle) (NCR = nickle cobalt) safer chemistry than ICR, but less safer than IMR. Does not require integrated protection circuit

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1

Having said that, Mooch says we need not be concerned about battery chemistry because manufacturers often misname or mislabel the chemistry. We should judge batteries solely by their specifications, such as their current rating (continuous discharge rate) and capacity rating (mAh).

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    One other thing that regulated mods do that seems to usually be forgotten. They also prevent over discharging batteries during normal use. While this doesn't result in an instant catastrophic failure, it does make batteries last longer and less prone to issues later. Now I know with a mech you can "learn" when to change batteries, but that doesn't mean you will get right the first time nor does it mean you will get it right every time.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    I advise against use of the “G” word. It got me in a lot of trouble.

Had to look up “boating accident”. From the looks of the internet it may not be one that works any more.

Guns?

I have posted pictures here in one of the EDC threads of my mod and pistol, along with the rest of my pocket contents. Not sure if or when it became taboo, but if so I will certainly comply.

Found it:

Pics of your EDC (everyday carry)

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    One other thing that regulated mods do that seems to usually be forgotten. They also prevent over discharging batteries during normal use. While this doesn't result in an instant catastrophic failure, it does make batteries last longer and less prone to issues later. Now I know with a mech you can "learn" when to change batteries, but that doesn't mean you will get right the first time nor does it mean you will get it right every time.
    If you have a regulated mod with bypass mode, try it out --- put in a fresh battery and a coil that gives you a good vape at a little above nominal voltage, use it and then tell us you had a difficult time telling when the charge was low. I'm betting you'll notice the first time, and every time, and probably change/charge the battery earlier than the mod's low-voltage cutoff.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    that has got to be the most reasonable answer for why you would choose a regulated device over a mechanical mod that I have read today thank you Scott thank you very much for being a reasonable person and giving somebody a reasonable answer I appreciate it and I mean that sincerely.

and yes you did bring up a very valid point that over discharging your batteries can damage the cell itself and this is true we know once the battery has been discharged above a certain limit that it can damage the various parts of the battery that allows it to hold a charge and discharge at a certain rate and limit.

It takes many many years of trial-and-error though to get it down and you are right you won't get it right the first time everytime I know from my experiences once my battery has discharged to about 3.5 volts and lower that my vape experience tends to get exponentially worse. Hey and 80% of the time when it gets to that point where my vape is really good and then all the sudden drastically drops off I know I'm getting close to changing that battery. I know for me I've pulled batteries out of my devices that weren't performing to what I would consider reasonable put them on the charger and they were at 3.6 volts. It happens. I'm not perfect and I don't claim that anything is my methods also aren't perfect. the only reason that I'm even remotely getting irritated it is because we are demonizing people that use mechanicals and we are overhyping regulated devices as the end-all-be-all solution. And since when did we devolve to taking away people's choices on what they want to use? What I'm not quite understanding is this is a forum for people to come and gather information, this is a forum for people to spread knowledge, this is a forum for people to share their experiences, this is a forum for people to swap ideas back and forth and to find common ground with people that use the electronic cigarette. And here we are viciously attacking one another and trying to call one another stupid or ignorant or uneducated because one group likes one thing and another group likes another. Since when has it been any of my business what you guys use since when have I become the final judge over what you use on your own personal time? I haven't and neither have you, my advice to all of you people out here politicizing whether or not mechanical mods are more or less safe than every other device out there, should probably take a lesson in humility. Because if we keep attacking one another over what we enjoy using then we won't have a choice at all what were using.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Guns?

I have posted pictures here in one of the EDC threads of my mod and pistol, along with the rest of my pocket contents. Not sure if or when it became taboo, but if so I will certainly comply.

It didn't become taboo. Bomb is still reeling from the reaction to his post back on page 1 of this thread where he implied gun owners go around waving their weapons everywhere as some macho sign of stupidity as well as other anti-gun comments later on, and he got thoroughly trounced for those comments.

Reactions: charlie1465

CasketWeaver

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    It didn't become taboo. Bomb is still reeling from the reaction to his post back on page 1 of this thread where he implied gun owners go around waving their weapons everywhere as some macho sign of stupidity as well as other anti-gun comments later on, and he got thoroughly trounced for those comments.
    Yes again it was heavy politicization. I'm a gun owner I matter of fact I'm a collector of guns I love them fascinating pieces of equipment. I don't go out and wave my guns around in people's faces. I don't go around and point guns at people that don't deserve to have a weapon pointed at them. I and one that was officially and unofficially trained with firearms as a young child. He's probably the same guy that thinks hole because one incident let's ban all the things. And if that's the case then I'm sorry but you are not the moral authority to sit here and make those judgments or those calls. I also don't use my firearms as a deterrent. I have them if I must use them I will all I normally do is hunt. I just can't seem to grasp why guns were even brought up in a topic about mechanical mods.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North

Ahhh - trouble with the other members in this thread. I didn't make that connection, thanks.

Last edited:
    Reactions: charlie1465
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread