Still smoking support and chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
First of all I want to make it clear - there is NOTHING wrong with us. We are not broken nor are we failures and ashamed to be here. Smoking is addictive and we are addicts. Lets face it quitting for some of us is one of the most difficult challenges we've ever faced. While we continue in our struggle to quit completely we just can't get past the need for a cigarette. This is a thread where We can freely and openly discuss the difficulty we are having making the transition completely from cigarettes to vaping. A thread where We can chat, rant, and get the support We need from each other. We can offer up our own personal experiences and ask for suggestions how to accomplish our individual goals.

We also welcome our other ECF friends who support "Us" in our "Transition into the vaping World" however keep in mind (as hmlessalky so eloquently put it) "there are a myriad of threads where people can talk about how they have completely given up cigarettes and have people pat them on the back and such. This is a place where people, who may feel ashamed for not being a 'success', can post and not feel alone or guilty. I understand that people are trying to be supportive and such, but I have been vaping (off and on) for a few years, and as much as possible for over a year. I have tried hundreds of juices, lots of devices and delivery systems, and kept my nic level at 24mg for about a year. I still can't seem to give up those last few. Some days I don't smoke at all, but they are far and few between. I have eliminated at least 37 cigarettes from my life each day though, and for that I feel a huge success. I feel much better, smell much better, and look much better (not really!).

Anyway, thank you for your stories of giving up the stinkies all together, but maybe the point is being missed. We all hope to give them up for good, but, until we do, we have a place to not feel like we are a failure of some sort, or a freak"

This thread is a continuation of this thread here.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405553

Karen N Daytona

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
Very special extra good morning everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZI hope you all have the most wonderful Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won my hearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a clue what I will be getting or when I get it, but I won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crying, wish I could jump up and down, you guys can do that for me!

:rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::rickroll::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hi All!

I've been lurking around for a few weeks now, and figured it was time to get a move on. :)

Anyway here's some background...

My name is Sheila, and this is my 3rd attempt to quit smoking with e-cigarettes. I've been at a PAD or more of Newport 100's since I was 16. I smoked socially since about 13. I've been a member since 2011.

That was my first try.

I found out early on that I have a mild pg sensitivity.
My original set-ups were 510's with the cartridges. Lasted about 4-5 weeks but was never able to find flavors I loved or the satisfaction I was looking for.

I found out I was prego with my son in Aug of 2011 and put down the e-cigs and picked back up on the analogs full time. Never was able to sucessfully quit all the way. Still had about 4-5 analogs a day while vaping. When I found out I was prego I was not able to quit smoking, and was up to 5-10 analogs a day.

Fast forward to September 2013 and I knew I needed to figure something out. I was still smoking 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day at this point but I was really starting to notice all the things about smoking that I didn't like. The smell on my hands was a huge one. I reeked!!! So I started over...I still had my 510's in a drawer some where...but I knew I needed something better. I bought my first ego..a simple 650 with ce4 clearos. Needless to say I thought I was in heaven. I was even able to make it a day at a time or more without smoking...until about a week in I noticed everything was starting to taste the same...even plastic-y.... So I come to ECF and low and behold, vaper's tongue. GRRR. Anyway I lasted that time about 3 weeks, also never able to really quit. Intro---gov't shutdown. My husband is a disabled veteran and receives disability and is using his GI Bill for school and housing...We were freaked!! What no paychecks?? Crap, what now? So we let everything that wasnt absolutely necessary go..including my e-cigs, and saved every penny just in case. I was very disappointed in myself...I should've tried harder...maybe I don't really want to quit..I don't know, but tons of ???'s just circulating through my head.

Fast forward again to last month(jan) and I ended up going to the hospital for a huge mass on one of my breasts. Within days it had abcessed (sp?) and I found out after very painful cultures, huge amounts of strong antibiotics (zosin, and vancomycin) and an overnight stay that I had a severe staph infection. Well as soon as I got home I learned (google) that these abcesses are almost exclusively found in women over the age of 20 that are heavy smokers...some 60-65%. Okay...now it's effecting my health..time to take action.

I bought another ego style battery and chain vaped all day...still would sneak in an analog 2-3 times a day. Found a kanger t3s and an evod and fell in love. Okay but still having a hard time with only 1-2 flavors that are honestly just eh. I noticed myself starting to smoke a little more everyday and vape less...well one here and there won't hurt I'd tell myself. Still having a hard time with my flavors and pg sensitivity. I'm leary about internet sales and like to try before I buy.

Anyway a trip to the dentist was another nail in the coffin. I have gingivitis. Im 26 years old and have the gums of a 40 year old, with moderate gingivitis. If I don't stop smoking it's going to cause bone lose in my teeth...okay well....okay then. I'm freaking out over here. It's a come to Jesus moment. If I don't do something and do it now I may never get out from under these cancer sticks. Time to pull out the stops. SOB...I'm frustrated at this point. Nothing tastes good, if it does it hurts my throat and makes me cough like an asthmatic...or it makes my throat itch.

Okay so Im in the Phoenix area and notice there is a smoke shop right around the corner from my house. Ahh what the hay...I'll try it. Can't possibly be any worse than the crap I already have. So they have this juice from Cyclops called Poseidon....hmmm and I can test it. Well sure, don't mind if I do. :) Holy sweet heaven this juice is yummy. Still has pg 65v/35p....but its smooth and fruity and doesn't make my throat itch...28 dollars for 35ml in a glass bottle. A little pricey but I had it right then and there. I take it home and fill my kanger...Oh it's yummy.. I vape it all day for 3 days straight with a stray analog in between. First thing in the morning is killer, especially with my coffee. I love to chain smoke and check my email and facebook with a nice hot cup of coffee with cinnamon bun creamer. So I allow myself 2 cigarettes in the morning, one on the way to work, and one on the way home. So about 4 a day. So In 5 days I've used just over half of this 35 ml bottle..so about 4ml in a day. I've made 2 packs of cigarettes last over a week. Im still frustrated because I only have this one flavor that I really really like. I splurged hardcore on a 1300 mah Vision spinner in purple from another shop...40.00 but I had to have it and couldnt wait even though I over spent by at least 10 bucks. It's so pretty...and this Poseidon tastes even better between 3.8 and 4.0 volts... :)

As of today, I just spent about 175.00. I bought more chargers, some usb hubs for multiple chargers at once..about 30 different juices between Mt. Baker, ECBlends, and MyFreedomSmokes. I also would like to try Five Pawns sampler, and some more of this Poseidon. More Kangers and 2.2 coils. Gotta love income tax :) I haven't been able to quit as of yet, but I'm determined, and hopefully with my new shipments coming in I will be successful.

Sorry for the novel...:D

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
First time poster to this thread. Need to vent.
A few days of cigarette free and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why I felt like if I didn't step outside and smoke I was going to explode. I was out of cigarettes so I actually went and bought a pack. I smoked one on the way home and felt just, well, stupid that nothing seemed to have changed. Vaping is taking care of the nicotine, the hand to mouth, the taste, the everything EXCEPT my internal need to be defiant to my health. It was like my mind is calling all the facts that smoking is bad like a teenager that drinks and drives with the mentality of "it might happen to others but it'll never happen to me" a lie.
I've been a smoker for almost 37 years and with every attempt to quit I figure out and defeat at least 1 thing about the habit, only to have another sneak in and kick my .... until I cave.
That pack of smokes is on top of my piano as I write this but I haven't been back.
I refuse to be afraid of failure by throwing them out. The paradox this time (and probably every other one since the first attempt) I've found is my fear of another failure has caused a self fulfilling prophecy. It is why I kidded myself for years that I really do love smoking. That's bullshirt! I've hated being a slave to cigarettes, hated the cough, hated the smell, hated the stained teeth, hated the embarrassment of telling my doctor I still smoke after bragging about how my Faith will overcome, hated the lack of wind, hated the expense, hated seeing what it did to my mom and dad (both died from smoking related things), hated the solitude, hated the feeling I'd get when one of my kids asked me to quit, hated trying to explain why I smoke but don't want my kids to mimic me, hated everything about them for years EXCEPT when I was kidding myself as I smoked one that I enjoy smoking.
I've said for years there's only 2 things I truly hate ,hot and humid weather at the same time, and I always kidded I don't remember the second one unless it's hot and humid. I'm not kidding when I say I hate smoking.
Thank you for reading this.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
repost from old thread:

as some people know I still smoke 2 cigs a day, at bedtime, because I'm old and I want to. I got down to 2 cigs a day a month or so after starting vaping 2 years ago

my goal was to go from 2 1/2 pad to 1 pad. I had no intention of quitting! I liked smoking the main reason I didn't plan to quit was I was not going to allow the nannys and the government to dictate to me what I could do in my personal life. I'm still a little like that 15 year old who if told to not do something then becomes bound and determined to make sure they do it LOL. I refuse to buy scott garden products because they even dictate that their employees families can't smoke either . I like to go park in lowes parking lots and vape in my car because apparently that isn't allowed either!

the only reason I wanted to cut back was the cost was killing me. I happen to think that (at least some) nicotine is probably good for us.

I am proud that I have been able to hold my cigs at 2 a day without going over. I am proud that I don't even think of having a cig until it is getting close to bedtime. right or wrong, I do consider myself a non smoker too.
one of the things I love about getting old is I really only care about what I think of myself, I could give a flying fig what others think of me

on this forum there is no need to be embarrassed or ashamed about what stage you are in. this isn't a quit smoking forum it is a vaping forum.

I don't judge smokers ... you won't see me calling cigs "stinkies" or complain about the smell of smoke, etc.

so, do the best you can and don't judge yourself, there are plenty of people out there to do that for you

Karen N Daytona

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
So, this is post #3000 I learned a lot so far, I still smoke, but I vape just as much if not more, I can go out with just my PV, I don't chain smoke anymore and I don't have to have a cig in the shower, and that is progress in the right direction

I found great friends here :wub: who would have known you could do that?

Many thanks for all the help and information each of you has provided. I hope to one day do the same for you!

cowbooger88

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
charleston sc
Hey guys! I've been lurking your forum. I may be younger and all but I have been smoking a pad for 11 years. I've quit using nicorette, chantix, nicorette, chantix, chantix, cold turkey.... and now the ecig. Every single time I've started back. Idk why, I hate the smell, taste, my non smoker boyfriends constant b itching about how bad I smell.... Granted I haven't had a cig in over a week I'm sure it not far off.... not that I don't have faith in myself, but yet again another failed method. Nicorette made me sick on the normal dose and crave like a psycho on the low dose. Chantix just made me sick as a dog sleepwalk and sad. Well something in the ecig weather it be nicotine pg or flavoring has had me nauseous break out in hives and the back of my throat looks like I've got strep minus most the pain. I feel like a failure, mainly because my step mom says I'm giving up too easily because she took straight to the ecig. I've been trying! I've adjusted my pg/vg ratios, adjusted the nic level and even flavors nothing had calmed any symptom down, but I'm a failure in her book, I wish she knew how difficult this week had been..... ugh sorry needed the rant

And thayamax is your avatar rocky horror picture show???????? :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
I went back through my posts and this is my vaping journey. I joined ECF the first week of March, 2013 but continued to smoke for another 4 months. I quit smoking exactly 1 month after joining this thread.

6/2/2013

I've spent several days reading each and every post in this thread and I see myself in most of them. It's nice to know I'm not the only one here that didn't quit "accidentally". I don't post a lot in the forum, probably because I feel like a fraud. I've been a smoker for 42 years and worked my way up to a 3-4 pad habit. Each time I tried (and failed) to quit I would end up smoking more than when I tried to quit. I guess I was making up for all the smokes I'd missed.

This is my third time trying ecigs since 2009. The first time, I used a cigalike and went a week with no cigs before gradually working my way back to smoking only. The second time, the Ego was all the rage, and I spent too much money on juice trying to find one I enjoyed enough to keep me off cigarettes. No luck.

Finally, after being laid off for 2 years and smoking around 4 packs a day of roll-your-own almost non-stop, I was wheezing like crazy and coughing up nasty stuff. I decided to try ecigs again, but all my juice had turned nasty. Again I had to spend too much money to get back into it, but with more determination than I had previously.

I have cut down quite a bit, going from 3+ packs a day to 1, so that's a win. I can go for hours at home just using my PV, but at work I'm surrounded by smokers and find myself mostly smoking there. After smoking half a pack at work, it's hard to go back to just my PV once I get home and I end up smoking the rest of the pack at home along with vaping almost constantly.

I now have 2 mods and more juice that still isn't cutting it. I am also of the mindset that each new purchase and each new juice order will be just what I need to stop smoking. Yeah, right.

Good news, though. I have yet another mod and juice order on the way and I'm sure this time I'm gonna quit for sure! (but don't hold your breath. I know I won't) Thanks for listening.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I work in a small group home for physically and mentally disabled adults. There's a lot of down time and we can smoke whenever we want to just by stepping out the side door. Out of a total of 10 staff, only 2 are non-smokers, and I rarely, if ever, work with them since they're on a different shift. I seem to smoke more out of habit than actual craving anyway.

It's great to see a thread with people who understand how hard it is to quit, even with the help of vaping. I could never have cut down as much as I have without it. Lord knows I've tried enough times over the years.

6/10/2013

I started having serious juice issues.

I seem to be smoking more and more every day. I'm trying to vape as much as possible, but I simply can't find a juice flavor that makes me want to do it as much as I want to. I'm sick of the juices I have. They seem to be getting more and more tasteless every day, but not in a vapor's tongue kind of way.

I've tried mixing some flavors and they taste even worse. I've ordered more juice, but each order has been disappointing so far. I've had some steeping for 11 days now and it still tastes awful. I got some more today, but obviously it needs to steep as well.

At this rate I'll have smoked at least a pack and a half by tonight, maybe more.

I think I've had enough cheese with my 'whine'.

6/13/2013

I've been rolling my own for the last 7 or 8 years. Really cheap....around $1 a pack, so I'm spending a lot more on vaping. I know part of the problem is I have my tobacco, tubes and rolling machine an arm's length away, so I can roll one, or 100, anytime I want. I don't even have to go to the store to buy a pack.

I'm still way too nervous to go to work without a pack of smokes with me, and I end up smoking at work instead of vaping. I think it's mostly out of habit, and seeing my co-workers smoking, too.

The good part is that I mostly vape at home, so I've gone down from 3+ PAD to 1+. That's a big difference, but not nearly what I'd hoped for. I'm soooo weak!

6/14/2013

I keep my PV in the glass on my desk that I used to keep my cigarettes in so I'm comfortable using it mostly during the day where I'm almost always on my computer. My biggest problem is at work and I always take a full pack along with me even though I usually only smoke half of it. The thought of going to work without cigarettes and forcing myself to only vape scares the crap outta me! I've thought about only taking a few, but even that panics me. I can smoke as much as I want while there, but once I get there I can't leave to get any even if I was desperate.

I'm thinking about gradually taking fewer and fewer with me, forcing me to vape more. But not tonight. I have to work a double and won't get off til 7am tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking that maybe using an automatic cigalike at work might be a way to get the feel of a real cigarette in the place where I'm more conditioned to that particular habit. I love my Zmax telescope and use it a lot at home. It would seem kind of like a downgrade from where I am, but it might help with making it feel more like I'm smoking a real cigarette. I would still use my APV at home but I hesitate to spend even more money than I have already. Has anyone tried this?

Alisa suggested I try an eRoll.

6/18/2013

Hello everyone and welcome to the thread, Shari! I just got home from 2 days of jury duty on a case involving controlled drugs and guns...Yikes! It was interesting to say the least.

I couldn't take my cell phone or PV with me (they don't allow batteries inside the courthouse), or even a lighter for real cigs. We got pretty regular breaks and they even provided lighters to smokers when they went out for a break. Needless to say, I've been smoking instead of vaping mostly for the last 2 days.

I must say it's hard to get back into the vaping habit once you've been only smoking all day. But tonight I'm getting back on the wagon and planning to do the vaping thing as much as possible. I got a couple of new juices, but of course they need to steep.

6/21/2013

I love my APVs, but I'm seriously considering getting an eRoll for work where I smoke the most. I seem to need the real cig feeling of holding it between my fingers and not having to push a button to get a hit. I'm not looking forward to shelling out more money on this, but who knows, it just might help. And boy, I need all the help I can get.

6/24/2013

Worse juice issues.

I'm having fun trying out my newest juice purchases. They've been steeping for between 2 weeks and 1 month so far. The problem is I can't decide which one to go with. It's a toss up between Sweaty Socks, Smelly Underwear and Soap. Decisions, decisions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently smoking only my 4th cigarette of the day, since 9:30am. It's the best I've done in a long while, especially considering my juices really suck today. (Sweaty Socks is starting to grow on me, but Soap is still yuck)

6/27/2013

I smoked 8 cigs at work tonight and 2 more since I got home. I'm on a roll.

6/29/2013

I fell off the vaping wagon again working my double shift yesterday. I smoked nearly a pack while still vaping. I think I'm more convinced that I need the tactile experience of a cigalike at work. I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering an eRoll very soon, but I'm afraid if even that doesn't work I'll be deemed a lost cause for sure.

I know I can do it, as evidenced by the fact that I only had 3 smokes at work the day before without a problem. For me, it seems the mindset going in has much to do with how much I smoke. I must continuously tell myself that I don't really need that cigarette to keep me from smoking it. I don't really "crave" the cig, but if I don't nag myself, I simply do it. Sometimes I'm just too bored or too tired to keep up that internal dialogue.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I ordered my eRoll that night.

---------------------------------------------------------

7/3/2013

I spent 45 minutes each way driving to my S/O's doctor appointment this morning, 2 solid hours in the waiting room and got home 1/2 hour before I had to be at work. We stopped to get my juice vapemail and lo and behold, my eRoll had arrived. I didn't have time to charge it or anything, so I took the whole kit and kaboodle to work with me to set it up. It's even smaller than I thought it would be...and I love it!

Remember I said this morning that I hadn't had a cigarette since those 4 I had yesterday morning? Well.............I made through the long drive, the doctor's office wait and 8 hours of work without a single cigarette!!!!!

I'm so proud of myself! Whenever my co-worker stepped out for a smoke I grabbed my eRoll and joined her. I could actually smell her smoke. And when I got home and came inside, I could smell the stale smoke smell in the house. I've never noticed it before. The strange part is that I haven't really had any serious cravings. I even took cigs to work with me, but didn't have the irresistible urge to smoke one. I don't know how long it'll last, since I'm weak on willpower when it comes to smoking, but I'm enjoying it for now.

------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Alisa! I'm sure my eRoll helped tremendously. I normally smoke 10 cigarettes just at work. The eRoll seems to help with the feeling that you're missing with a large APV and having to push a button to vape. You can hold it between your fingers like a cigarette, even vape it hands free if need be, and all without pushing a button!

I haven't had a cigarette since. I've also found a few juices that I actually like! The wonderful caring people in this thread gave me the encouragement and support I needed to be able to accomplish what I'd been unable to do for many years. They could never know how much I appreciate all of them. :wub:

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Very well put. For me, I am addicted to nicotine, and my PVs help there, but I really do believe that I still think of my cigarettes as old friends.

I don't get those awful cravings and the sick to my stomach and jittery feeling I used to get when I didn't vape, but I still really want that comfortable old friend feeling every now and again.

It's funny that I still feel that way, in spite of the fact that I think of myself as an ex-smoker/non-smoker.

My mom died in 1989. I still miss her from time to time because we were pretty close, even after I reached adulthood, got married, etc.
Guess what was there to help me grieve when she died? My best buddy. When my first wife decided she didn't want to be married anymore, took my kids with her, guess what was there for me. My best buddy.
Through every great event, every tragedy and everything in between my best buddy has been there. Celebrate the birth of a child by doing something that could make my life with them shorter or less enjoyable. Take some time with my best buddy. Yup I've been there.
I went to a quit smoking class at a local hospital years ago. The doctor giving the class was point blank about cigarettes becoming closer than a body part. I didn't realize for the longest what he was talking about but now I do .
I watched the effects of smoking turn my dad from a strapping strong man to a fragile physically rotten shell that even the emphysema , from lack of oxygen, took his mind before God mercifully took his life but it didn't phase me and my best buddies relationship.
I don't know if I'll ever get totally over losing my best buddy but I've made it this far without my mom and dad so I'll survive. My best buddy calls every now and then to remind me of how faithful it was for over 2/3 of my life. Most times I ignore the call, eventually I'll stop answering all together.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Karen N Daytona

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
I think the boys think they are to play fetch with, Rambo is a hoarder, he steals everything in his path that isn't nailed down. Little stinker, I love that boy. (chihuahua)

Thaya, I am drinking a can of coke, my diabetes salutes yours! UNCLE, I know it will kill me, I am sorry, I needed it today.

well, hello and welcome home to Cowbooker! lets just say, I have a big vaping, smoking and eating habit. I smoked as much as 4 PAD at times and I am down to under two PAD mostly even down to 1 PAD but I do go over sometimes. when I am not smoking I am vaping. I vape a lot and while it may seem like I am a vampire, I can assure you that I am not. I usually can be found here at night. Many of us don't sleep well. If I am lucky I get 4 hours at once. I have issues with the e-liquid, not the same but still have to be careful. I cough from it all the time. It never goes away. makes me feel like my head will explode, seen all the videos, I am doing it right, I even went to a few B&M's to make sure.

I don't know if I will ever quit smoking, I would like to get down to under 10 a day, my next goal is maintain under 15 after that, I work on the 10. Tonight, I found my roommates stick batt and put a Nano on it to try to vape an automatic. see if that helps.

Mark, (we have two now) welcome to you too! I feel that you have found a home as well! YOu will fit right in here.

So pull up your chairs, and get to know everyone, ask questions, tell us about your equipment, your juice buys, whatever you like.

Erised

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
Florida
First time poster to this thread. Need to vent.

Hey guys! I've been lurking your forum.

I'm not even sure if this is gonna post right. I never use tapatalk (is that what the app is called?) its a little confusing. Ive lurked on this thread for the longest finally decided to post....something.

welcome2.gif
Mark, CB and Monica!

I'm one that still smokes some -- well, actually with as bad as I've been this past week I should say that I'm one that still vapes some!:laugh:
When I first started vaping in 2009 it was easy ... gave up cigs completely within like 3 or 4 days. Went back to smoking later due to some medical issues. This time vaping it's not been easy, at all! I've been back to vaping for almost a year and I'm still smoking. Some days I don't smoke at all, other days I smoke up to a pack a day. I just have to keep reminding myself that at least I'm no longer smoking 3 packs a day. The great thing about this group is that no matter where you are in your journey you'll get understanding and support ... oh yeah, and dancing bananas.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
Hello all. I started searching the other thread but got bogged down quickly. I'll just repeat the highlights of my adventures in vaping.

I smoked a pack a day like clockwork, for over 20 years. I smoked and loved it. I smoked and never ever wanted to quit. I still love the way they smell. I still crave the way they made me feel. I used smoking to avoid feeling my emotions (if I got angry or sad or whatever, I just smoked one after the other until I felt normal again) and I used smoking like my crutch. Smoking was my best friend and only companion for a lot of years after I quit drinking. So when I decided to quit it wasn't because I wanted to, it was because "I knew I should" or "for my health" or "because it's too expensive" or "because I can't die like my mother did" but it was always an intangible reason.

I saw a friend at work vaping a pipe mod and got curious about it. I bought some extremely overpriced regular ego kit off the internet with some truly disgusting tasting liquid. I didn't know about ECF yet. So I burnt up or popped every atty that came with my kit, and found a live place to talk about vaping at a local flea market where I actually got good advice and liquid that tasted lots better than the stuff that came in my kit. Wow talk about expensive! Still smoking a pack a day, spending lots of money on vaping but not saving any because still smoking. It began to look like I was getting more nicotine than usual, almost like vaping was supplementing my regular smoking habit.

So an internet search brought me to ECF, and in a really uninspired moment I logged in with this ridiculous username which was a lie for a really long time. I never quit, heck I never even cut back. So I read and read and read and researched and bought stuff and spent a lot of money and still smoked. I don't think I ever said I was still smoking in any of my posts, but I'm sure I lied and said I had quit. I found this thread through a referral on the general forum (I think???) and found a home here fast. The people here were honest and helpful and informative and supportive. If they said something wouldn't work I believed it. If they said something tasted like dirty gym socks I didn't buy it.

Now I DIY all my own liquids because everything I could afford to buy tasted either meh or plain gross. I can make meh and gross for a lot less than buying it pre-made. In all that trial and error of buying liquids I decided what types of stuff I did not like (anything menthol and a lot of fruits) and what I did like (strong, rich, heavy flavors like tobacco/vanilla/coffee etc.) and started buying up flavorings left and right. I DIYed like a maniac for a while, but now I'm sitting on so much already made stuff that I haven't pulled out the mad scientist lab for a long time. I will again soon, because I'm vaping up all the stuff I've been sitting on!

Here's what helped me quit. I needed gear that was dependable, not too fiddly, and that didn't mute flavor too much. I needed a stronger battery (variable voltage/wattage) than my regular ego's. I needed the flavors I really liked and I needed 24 mg nic. I needed WTA for a while, but now I'll leave that for those of you who really need it more than I do. I cut back slowly with the idea that I would eventually get down to 0 cigarettes daily. I needed a real reason to quit and I mean a really good reason. For me it was financial. I literally ran out of money one day and did not get paid for a week. I had all this vape gear and liquids around so I said "I'll just try to go until payday without killing anyone." I gave away the last cig in my pack that day. I came here and cried and screamed and ranted and raved. I got hugged and I got kicked in the rear when I needed it. I got through it. Since then I haven't bought a pack. I have smoked one cigarette a couple times, once at Thanksgiving and once a couple weeks after that. I could do it again, but if I do, I'll be right back at a pack a day habit. I am and probably always will be one bad decision or weak moment away from that pack a day habit.

So that's my really long vaping story. I probably left out a lot, but the gist of it is there. Quitting sucks. Vaping makes it suck less. Having friends to help me through it was the only thing that made it bearable. We borrowed the phrase "embrace the suck" to describe it. :lol:

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Wow. I didn't mean to run you all off with my mental breakdown!! I can't stop crying and jonesing for a cigarette. I've never been this embarrassed in my life. . .DD1 has a therapy appointment in the morning. I'll be trying to cover my mouth the whole time :lol: Urgh. . .

Yup yup yup. The lie of the tobacco weed telling your mind that cigarette will make it all better.
Here's what I'm doing for the mental part. Comfort Food. Not real food but flavors. Reward my taste buds for success, reward my taste buds because I can, reward my taste buds to out think my brain with distractions by way of my taste buds telling my brain "look there goes Elvis" moments.
I've changed my routine from smoking at certain times for certain reasons to vaping different flavors. Same routine, just different action. I have a certain one, Menthol Blend tobacco, with a nice tobacco smoke taste with a hint of vanilla with my morning coffee. After lunch I use a Chocolate Tobacco. This also is my driving flavor and destress vape for now.
After dinner and all evening I use Cherrywood, a tobacco smoke laced with the taste of real cherries from the tree. Sometimes for a real treat I'll grab a cherrywood in 1 hand, Chocolate Tobacco in the other hand and vape them together to get a chocolate cherry taste until my bottle of chocolate cherry blend arrives later this week.
When that bag of cookies is yelling my name Honey Tobacco to the rescue.
I've got 5 more flavors in the mail and I'll find the best time to incorporate them into my existing routine once they arrive.
My only suggestion to you would be learn to laugh at those embarrassing moments, even if only on the inside. Being a goof up is something to celebrate as part of being human and alive. It's the baking powder part of the delicious bakery goods recipe called life. By itself it's not very tasty but without it the finished product isn't worth a flip.
Have a great evening everyone

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Still not doing well, smoked yesterday morning, thought about it all day. It's like being on a diet. Once you cheat it's over. Me and my bright ideas. . .but I'm still on the wagon, just left the store and the thought didn't even occur to me to buy a pack. Once I buy a pack I'll consider myself officially off the wagon again. This time around is about the 8th attempt to quit, still not the longest I've stayed quit. Once past a year I'll probably be more comfortable, if I can just exercise a little self control.

FQ,

This may not be the right approach for you, but for me I find it much less stressful to come at it with a "no guilt" approach. Sometimes I smoke. Most of the time I vape instead.

I will be doing this for a while before I even try to get of the butts completely. Even if I never shake the curse totally, I can still be proud of how much better off I am than I was. I was a VERY compulsive smoker and couldn't last an hour without a .... before; now I can go a day or more (occasionally) and that, for me is incredible progress.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Top, as long as it's warm on your island I am SO there! We have another ice/snow/mess heading our way. Our town is right on the fringe where they can't decide if we'll get 1/2 inch or a whole inch, so joyous. When is spring coming?

Still not doing well, smoked yesterday morning, thought about it all day. It's like being on a diet. Once you cheat it's over. Me and my bright ideas. . .but I'm still on the wagon, just left the store and the thought didn't even occur to me to buy a pack. Once I buy a pack I'll consider myself officially off the wagon again. This time around is about the 8th attempt to quit, still not the longest I've stayed quit. Once past a year I'll probably be more comfortable, if I can just exercise a little self control.

Hope you're all doing well! I'm hanging in there and reading a lot, just not posting much. Try to do better in future, but for today, no apologies. See you later.

I read " just left the store and thought didn't even occur to me to buy a pack".
That's the attitude and mindset of a former smoker that has won a major battle.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

bonnienclyde

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Hey, all. I just wanted to say hi. I joined this forum back in 09, and my husband and his sister, her husband,and I all started vaping. Well, I just couldn't quit the analogs.

They have all been smoke free and never looked back. I have such an addict personality, though, of course I can't let anything be easy for myself! Lol (recovering drug, btw, 9 years clean).

Anyway, just wanted to say, I'm doing it this time. Last Saturday, I finally " felt" it. I'm done. I don't miss them. I don't dream about them. I don't even think about them.

I think, for me, I had to have that. Not sure why, perhaps because I became a grandmother recently, and my 2 year old grandson said, "Nana moke", and put a straw to his mouth, like a cigarette. I was the last smoker in the family, and that's not what I want to hear from that precious baby.

Really, though, it's so much more than that. Of course, the money, my health, all that matters. But, I don't know, I WANTED to smoke, through all that.

Now, I don't. I don't. I actually do not want a cigarette.

I've taken the first steps, and hopefully the last! Just wanted to talk to you guys about it, because my family doesn't "get" it.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Hey, all. I just wanted to say hi. I joined this forum back in 09, and my husband and his sister, her husband,and I all started vaping. Well, I just couldn't quit the analogs.

They have all been smoke free and never looked back. I have such an addict personality, though, of course I can't let anything be easy for myself! Lol (recovering drug, btw, 9 years clean).

Anyway, just wanted to say, I'm doing it this time. Last Saturday, I finally " felt" it. I'm done. I don't miss them. I don't dream about them. I don't even think about them.

I think, for me, I had to have that. Not sure why, perhaps because I became a grandmother recently, and my 2 year old grandson said, "Nana moke", and put a straw to his mouth, like a cigarette. I was the last smoker in the family, and that's not what I want to hear from that precious baby.

Really, though, it's so much more than that. Of course, the money, my health, all that matters. But, I don't know, I WANTED to smoke, through all that.

Now, I don't. I don't. I actually do not want a cigarette.

I've taken the first steps, and hopefully the last! Just wanted to talk to you guys about it, because my family doesn't "get" it.

Doing non smoking things is different than being a non smoker. It sounds like your mind is about, if not already, there where being a non smoker is who you are and no longer just what you're doing. Be a non smoker and you'll act like a non smoker.
And don't fret or beat yourself up when the inevitable desire to smoke returns. Being a smoker is who you were for however long you smoked. That old being will try to get you to do the old you every now and then.
I joined this thread to vent because not only did others around me not understand my struggle,I wasn't sure of it my own self. Journaling my frustrations with those who understand went a long way toward my quitting. It's been something like 3, maybe 4 weeks , since I stopped totally. I know it was a Thursday that was the first day but from that day forward I am a non smoker, doesn't matter to me the day it started. I was reminded I am a non smoker yesterday when I decided to let my dog gallop on her walk for a while and never ended up gasping for air. It was about the first time I'd thought about the benefits of not smoking besides food tasting differently after a few days. Non smoker stuff is normal now , except for some pleasant surprises every now and then, because I am a non smoker
Be a non smoker as who you are not just what you're doing.
It sounds to me that's about where your at.

JJ1977

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
so for you JJ1 it's about the taste ad the mvp v.2 works for you?
for me it must be about chain smoking lol

i chain vape the hell out of this thing lol for me its the visual effect of seeing the vapor come out that i trick myself into thinking its smoke lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread