The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Stinging & Pain... Again

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by madqatter, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. madqatter

madqatter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    After about two months vaping, I started having severe problems with my mouth stinging during and after vaping. Like I'd burned my tongue and the roof of my mouth on really hot food. Suspecting that PG might be the problem, I did some testing on myself. (Plain VG didn't cause problems. Flavorless VG with nicotine didn't cause problems. VG with flavor and nicotine didn't cause problems.) I also researched PG sensitivity and discovered that PG is a common ingredient in a different product also caused me severe skin irritation. As soon as I stopped vaping juices containing PG, the problems went away.

Now I've been vaping three months. I'm starting to have problems with even PG-free juices, even flavorless VG with only 2 to 4mg nicotine (lower than my usual). It's the burned tongue feeling again.

I'm not new to vaping. I know that vaping is dehydrating, for example, and I drink lots of fluids all the time (not just when I'm vaping).

Any ideas regarding what the problem could be? I really don't want to give up vaping just yet.

2. The Ocelot

The Ocelot Psychopomp Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's a drag. Have you tried zero nic to see if you get same reaction? I had no plan to lower my nic level, but my throat started burn with some juices. I lowered my nic level and it went away. I have two juices that I mix together and one has twice the nic level of the other one. I tell immediately if I got too much of the stronger one, it burns and tastes kind of like pepper.

3. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Is there anything obvious about the state of your tongue going on? Anything that looks sorta looks like skin peeling off a sunburn? There is a specific condition I'm thinking of but the cause, unknown, has nothing to do with vaping. If this is what you have going on I'll research it further to cough up the name of it. (It's come up on ECF before.)

4. meanckz

meanckz Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 18, 2013
    Greer, SC
    you know....I've seen somewhere that capsicum can be used for TH...I wonder if that's what's in some juices and in your case causes the pepper taste.

@Madqatter: if it's the nicotine causing your issues....you could try cafein as an alternative....also, have you noticed which particualr juices causes this sensitivity or is it all of them?
    just wondering if it could possibly be acidic content or cinnamon or something of the sort.

5. SissySpike

SissySpike Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    I dont have a clue but I feel for you! I hope you can get the issue figured out.

Edit: Just a thought it could be your delivery system If its made in China or you use wick made in China who knows what used to make it.

6. meanckz

Supporting member
    Sep 18, 2013
    Greer, SC
    yeah...there is a thought!!!

what tanks, rba/rda, clearos and what not are you using?

at what volt/watt settings?

7. meanckz

Supporting member
    Sep 18, 2013
    Greer, SC
    I just thought of something else....I've noticed a slight burning sensation, when I vape right after mouthwashing....and I'm thinking there are chemicals or fumes or liquids that maybe reacting with each other in my mouth....just a thought

8. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks for the kind words, folks!

That's going to be happening on and off this week. (Despite smoking for 15 years, I started vaping at very low levels.)

I think you're talking about geographic tongue? My tongue isn't showing any visible signs of this, but I'm keeping an eye out.

I'm not very sensitive to capsaicin. I've been eating extremely spicy foods since I was a child and, coincidentally, just ate some Sriracha with dinner.

Right now it's all of the flavors I have. As I mentioned above, I'll be testing flavorless VG without nicotine and flavored juices without nicotine this week.

Kanger Protanks. I'm thinking about testing with cotton wick, but I'll need to do that independently of the testing of juice without nicotine.

I usually vape cool, in the 5-6 watt range, but part of that is because the vapor stings more at higher wattages.

9. devauto

devauto Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    NoVA
    Hey Madqatter,

I hope you get all this sorted out ... soon!

10. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Another possibility: I have a nickel allergy (if not nickel, some metal-- I can't wear most watches, rings, or or other jewelry without getting a rash). Maybe I'm reacting to coils. Anyone aware of nickel-free wire I could test?

11. Slobalt7

Slobalt7 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2013
    Murika
    As far as I know Neochrome and Kanthal are the only wire choices... Good luck!

12. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Nichrome, as the name suggests, has nickel. If Kanthal does not, and I think it doesn't unless alloyed with nichrome, I could try it.

13. Slobalt7

Slobalt7 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2013
    Murika
  14. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    It's now on my test list. :)

15. anavidfan

anavidfan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    I didnt see any mention of what juice you are using, PG/VG ratio, flavour, what type of juice delivery etc. Resistance etc. Could be all sorts of factors but without any info its hard to tell. Could be your atomizer is dirty, burning. Could be your voltage is too high.

Could be something completely unrelated and maybe you should see a doctor.

16. alisa1970

alisa1970 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I've wrestled with this since shortly after I started vaping. I think I've figured out my problem if not completely solved it (it's got nothing to do with my juices or setup)--if your thoughts/experiments don't work out, I'll chime in again. :)

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Signature Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2012
    Woodburn, OR
    Have you tried using Biotene mouth rinse? I know some vapers were having mouth issues and switching to Biotene really helped them out quite a bit. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

18. beckdg

beckdg ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    i had to switch from a metal drip tip because of similar reactions. had the same thing, but pretty serious with oral piercings. i can't wear jewelry for long periods either.

i've always used cepacol and glyoxide when i've had issues. dunno about biotene, but these have always worked well for me.

19. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    These questions were all answered in previous posts. If you need more specifics, ask, but there is a significant amount of information you ignored.

Try reading the thread before commenting and you might not have this difficulty. :)

20. stevegmu

stevegmu Moved On ECF Veteran

I don't and wouldn't use the Kanger drip tips. The coating on the metal wears down fairly quickly on the inside and with mystery metal, there's no way of really knowing what it is made out of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.