Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Will see the doctor soon. Fairly certain vaping is not a cause but rather just exacerbating the problem.

On the one hand, this really sucks and I miss vaping.

On the other hand, I'm glad vaping isn't the cause, meaning I may be able to vape in the future. :)

Do read through those links Racehorse provided, especially the very good info from the Cleveland Clinic. Printing out a copy of that one and bringing with, or forwarding those links to your MD if their office is set up for patient e-mail, would be a good idea heading in for for this visit.

I'm not one for encouraging hypochondria - WebMD can be a very bad thing for some people. It may not be burning tongue syndrome. But walking in with good info and good questions can some times bamboozle a lazy MD into being impressed enough to not just treat you like a hypochondriac with a pointless complaint. You would like to believe that your MD has heard about this problem before - but you can't count on it. Educating an MD some times helps - both you and him/her.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
In related news:

I considered trying some Biotene but did not. I'm glad I read the label first. One of the major ingredients is propylene glycol. Not good for my PG sensitivity. :p

But that inspired me to look at the ingredients of other mouth washes, and I discovered that the inactive ingredients in Crest Pro-Health include water, propylene glycol, glycerine, and flavoring. Which means that Crest Pro-Health mouthwash is mostly vape juice. Good thing to remember next time someone tries to tell you some scare story about "antifreeze."

"Dangerous? Really? The juice I'm vaping is made of ingredients in Crest Pro-Health mouthwash. People gargle and incidentally swallow much larger amounts of that all the time." ;)

(VG-only vapers: Your brand is Scope Classic. PG-only vapers: Your brand is the aforementioned Biotene.)

Last edited:

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
PG is in a lot more products than you may realize.
Yep. One of the ways I confirmed that PG was a problem in my vape juice was by discovering that PG was also a major ingredient in a particular brand of deodorant that made my skin peel. (Fortunately, there are lots of PG-free deodorants!)

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Just to add a strange experience I had once - I literally got week-long, deathfully-painful throat infection type thing from an e-cig. Without a doubt, I know it was the e-cig because my throat started hurting about 30 minutes after I vaped it (never being sick in my life) and I was in downright crying pain all week long from it. I couldn't swallow without tearing up.

Luckily, I don't seem to have a PG/VG sensitivity (though I use 0mg because nic seems to just make my stomach hurt and make the juice taste a bit too peppery), but what I do have is very sensitive taste buds, and I can tell you right now that it seems as though many replaceable head devices have absolutely horrible tastes (oil, polyfil, singed material, burnt rubber, dry wick tastes) that either many just haven't experienced or actually can't taste themselves.

If you don't happen to have an extremely sensitive set of buds, there could be some contaminants or dry wicking flavors getting into your vapor, and for me, if I taste these things, reactions happen anywhere from a coughing fit, to gagging, to having a little bit of a scratchy throat for a few minutes, to my voice becoming muffled for a little while. I've only gotten more paranoid about what can leech into our vapor as my experience goes on, and thankfully I have a sensitive set of buds because it really, flavor wise, pushes me to also get the cleanest vape.

As an off note, I do have reactions to certain deoderants, detergents, and soaps, but luckily, PG nor VG seems to be related. As a recommendation, once you get a foot in on what may be going on, I may try Velvet Cloud Vapor's juices if I were you - they claim their juices are entirely organic, and I can stand by the fact that their juices taste the absolute least starchy to me, very moist and smooth vapors.

Hopefully everything works out!

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Just to add a strange experience I had once - I woke up with a headache. I've never been sick a day in my life, so I knew it was because of the e-cigarette I vaped the night before. And I also have like uber-sensitive taste buds. Each one of my taste buds is like all of the taste buds of a super taster. I can't drink purified water anymore because I can like, taste stuff in it. Nasty things. True story. Hope it helps...

...to put a smile on your face. :D Merry Christmas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Edit:
Luckily, I don't seem to have a PG/VG sensitivity (though I use 0mg because nic seems to just make my stomach hurt and make the juice taste a bit too peppery), but what I do have is very sensitive taste buds, and I can tell you right now that it seems as though many replaceable head devices have absolutely horrible tastes (oil, polyfil, singed material, burnt rubber, dry wick tastes) that either many just haven't experienced or actually can't taste themselves.
95% of the time, when you post, you mention how dreadful this or that tastes when you vape, yet you use 0 nic juice. Why by all that is holy, are you even vaping? Why don't you go eat some ice cream or something instead? *Lets out exasperated sigh*

Last edited:

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
I've been going thru the same thing the past few days. My tongue and the roof of my mouth felt like I had scalded them with some hot food or drink and my lips are chapped too. I started brushing with Biotene toothpaste, rinsing out with water, taking a capfull of hydrogen peroxide and swishing for 30 secords or as long as I could and then rinsing with Biotene mouthwash. I do this after eating anything at all. Spicy foods seem to aggravate to problem, so I have tried to stay away from them. Last nite I had a pizza and this morning, the mouth is stinging pretty bad, but not terrible. I've cleaned all of my tanks and replaced the coils too. I backed down on my vaping a bit also. I'm hoping this is just another of the withdrawal things that my body is going thru, time will tell.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I've been going thru the same thing the past few days. My tongue and the roof of my mouth felt like I had scalded them with some hot food or drink and my lips are chapped too. I started brushing with Biotene toothpaste, rinsing out with water, taking a capfull of hydrogen peroxide and swishing for 30 secords or as long as I could and then rinsing with Biotene mouthwash. I do this after eating anything at all. Spicy foods seem to aggravate to problem, so I have tried to stay away from them. Last nite I had a pizza and this morning, the mouth is stinging pretty bad, but not terrible. I've cleaned all of my tanks and replaced the coils too. I backed down on my vaping a bit also. I'm hoping this is just another of the withdrawal things that my body is going thru, time will tell.

I could "just" be mouth ulcers - which are no fun at all. Some people get them from quitting smoking. Don't take this wrong - I'm hoping that's what it is - because the burning mouth thing is more intractable and according to that May Clinic info could last... quite a while.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
BigCatDaddy:11807977 said:

Best not to gargle with hydrogen peroxide too often. Once a day is enough. You'll be killing ALL the bacteria in your mouth, the "good" bacteria along with the bad bacteria.

Hope OP is fine and can post her findings soon. I'm interested in the outcome too.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
edit, sorry just saw this was already mentioned,didn't read all the posts.

Have you tried using Biotene mouth rinse? I know some vapers were having mouth issues and switching to Biotene really helped them out quite a bit. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

Biotene is almost straight PG. :) weird, but true. I have some and just read the ingredients.

Last edited:

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
Biotene is almost straight PG. :) weird, but true. I have some and just read the ingredients.

Wow. I am going to check that out. That will save me some money.
Otherwise,I don't know if this will help the OP but gargeling with bakeing soda works much the same as peroxide and is less harsh. It works good for those annoying little sores that pop up. A home remedy. Got that from my hubby, he is a biochemist.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I don't know if madquatter is still reading this thread, but I came across something interesting (and possibly related) and thought I would re-post it here:
I was, maybe one of the few ppl that started complaining about chrome plated brass and the wrong description, but not because of lead poisoning or getting what i paid for(as a kayfun for $20 is really a lot more than what you paid for), but because i'm alergic to oxides coming from brass(i don't know if it's the copper or the zinc or what ever), i can't use and atomizer with brass inside or i get ulcerations all over my mouth. I've never complained about vivi novas, t3, or any of those because i know they're chrome plated brass so i just don't use them, nor i complained about the flash e-vapor because we all could see the golden posts and it was described as having such brass posts. My point is i don't have a problem on this change of description refering to really minor things like screws, washers. But the parts that are specific to the atomizer should be described correctly like the deck, the posts, the contacts(this is the place that we want brass, not inside the deck).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread