Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
My first brass Stingray clone fired perfectly, I liked it so much I ordered another and this one isn't just crunchy, it's misfiring, and often sticks while firing. After more than a few strip-downs, repeated cleaning of the switch, etc, I give up, it's going back. It's basically down to the quality control of whichever shenzhen factory made it. I'd be bothered if it was an original JD Tech Stingray but it's not. I don't advise using a nemesis switch to fire an ailing stingray, it has no venting.

Not sure what you have but 1:1 Nemesis clone switches have 3 vent grooves in the Brass threading of the switch assembly.

rustafar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Weeki Wachee, FL.
Thought I would add my 2 cents, I had the same problems as everyone else... I have an Infinite clone of the black stingray

I dissassembled the switch and took the dremmel with a small polishing wheel and buffed the switch post and inside of the threaded ring to a high polish.
Part 2 - clones are not machined as precise as the authentic...so if you can wiggle the switch side to side when assembled , there is too much space. The authentic is so close there is no switch wobble.
I searched for a slightly thicker rice pin to make the gap a little smaller, ended up with a copper finish nail from Home Depot that worked out well, I mounted the nail in a drill and used sandpaper to grind it down to the perfect size.
I finished it off by adding a touch of graphite power to the switch post and reassembling everything... Works fantastic!

I had a problem with certain Atomizers not firing as well, that was a much easier fix!
If you look at the top cap... See if the black ring holding the floating pin is seated all the way. I found that mine was kind of cocked and not inserted all the way.
I used a nut driver bit that only touched the black insulator part and on a flat surface gave it a tap with a hammer... And voila the insulator sank into the topcap another mm or so and now everything works nicely and the switch screws in a touch more.

Thanks for that info Cevan !!. I just tried it with my switch and it works well. I used a regular finish nail though. :facepalm:
Now it will fire by touching any side of the switch. :D:D:D

Again, thanks for the tip :thumb:

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Anyone was able to fix the wobbliness? Mine wobbles like crazy when sat upright unlocked, I've cleaned everything, have everything tight etc.

With a 18500 battery there's no big deal since it doesn't auto-fire although it wobbles, with a 18650 though, it fires all the time on it's own :(

Dunno what to do, I do have a spare set of magnets, wonder if that will make it better? Could be these magnets are just weak or something?

SteamHead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
Tampa, FL, USA
Got mine today, crunchy as hell, it'd stick in the firing position if it fired at all. I tried several things, but what helped the most was pulling off the button and lock ring, then grinding off a bit of copper from the end of the tube. Not making it shorter, but thinner. Also gave a bit of an angle (chamfer) to the very outside edge, so it's a slope instead of a straight corner. Feels like buttah now.

Hope this helps someone :)

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Anyone was able to fix the wobbliness? Mine wobbles like crazy when sat upright unlocked, I've cleaned everything, have everything tight etc.

With a 18500 battery there's no big deal since it doesn't auto-fire although it wobbles, with a 18650 though, it fires all the time on it's own :(

Dunno what to do, I do have a spare set of magnets, wonder if that will make it better? Could be these magnets are just weak or something?

Anyone? :/

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
What manufacturer or fasttech SKU is your Stingray, Sptz? The problem with these damn clones is that there are so many different versions out there now with their own unique problems it's difficult to lend general advice. Neither of my clones wobble in the least. Sounds like a magnet issue. Even with a wonky rice pin, the mags should be plenty strong enough to keep it from firing unlocked with any size battery/atty combo.

My experience: I got FT SKU 1632200 back in March, and it was almost perfect right out of the box. Just needed a good cleaning and a few minutes of light center-post sanding. Been using it daily since, and it's fantastic.

I just got SKU 1638600 in today and it was suffering from severe sticky crunchy button syndrome. I fixed it by simply disassembling and unscrewing the firing pin half a turn. It seems that with the pin screwed all the way down, the button assembly mounts too high into the tube, causing the inside upper lip of the button to catch on the lower portion of the tube. There's only about a mm of difference, but it makes all the difference in the world. SteamHead nailed the solution to that one. I'll be breaking out the Dremel sometime this week, but for now my steel Ray is working well.

r1edeq.jpg

Never had this problem at all with my brass one, and I speculate that the button is now silky smooth thanks to the steel on the button wearing down the brass at the bottom of the tube with the amount of use it's gotten.

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for taking time to reply mate. Mine is a Hcigar Black Copper. It does give me the impression it might be weak magnets. I do have spares I got from fatdaddyvapes though. I'm just a bit wary on how to remove them since I have no idea how they're attached in their respective slots.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Is there not enough room in the assembly to stack another one of those magnets? Not sure which mags FatDaddy sells, but I know people were stacking the FT ones with good results.

The disc magnets are just glued into the contacts. You should be able to pry them out with a precision screwdriver. If you have a rotary tool, you could cut a tiny slot in the side of the contact to help you get under the magnet. Or you could always just drill right through the center of them and use the hole to pull those suckers out.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
It is fully in, can't go in further. What I mean is, the battery itself isn't rattling at all! It's just the positive contact that touches the battery
Ah, now that sounds odd indeed. I'd guess you're hearing a loose magnet since they aren't necessarily glued in place but the repulsion between the pair should keep them from moving so that's got to be a bad guess.

The only other thing in the switch assembly that moves is the rice pin. I have 2 Stingray clones. 1 has a somewhat small pin in comparison to the half holes it fits into. I've seen enough comments from other folks about small pins. And unlike the Nemesis rice pin which pretty much goes from top to bottom of the threaded portion, on the Stingray it's necessarily shorter because the assembly moves up and down to fire. So perhaps that's what you're hearing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm sorry to hijack this thread again but I got me a set of precision screwdrivers and even with the smallest flathead I can't remove the magnet that is in the connection that actually touches the battery, the other one came out EASILY, this one is impossible... I could boil it to loosen up the glue but it's stuck in the white delrin piece so that's obviously out of the question...

Any suggestions? I'm actually ruining the copper around the magnet from trying this

EDIT: Actually, looking at this picture proves that I can actually disassemble it from the delrin ring?

8yqe5uhu.jpg

Anyone knows how?!

EDIT 2: DOH! I managed to take it off the delrin ring and it seems physically impossible to remove the magnet from there...... It's INSANELY stuck I have no idea what to do...

Last edited:

r0adki111

Jun 14, 2014
United States
I think I figured out the problem.

If you look closely at the edges of the inner circle of the large brass ring you will see/feel very small burrs from sub-standard machining. These burrs catch on the copper post that goes up through the middle of the brass (I think its brass, maybe bronze?).

I took a round needle file and very gently worked it along the edges of the hole in the brass. Not the smooth sides, but the edges (corners) on top and bottom until the edges were more rounded. Also the half moon shaped channel in the brass that the small pin sits in has burrs at top and bottom. Used the same round needle file to round these edges.

Next if you look at the edges on the bottom of the copper tube (the main mod tube with the engraving on it) that the entire button assembly screws onto there are more burrs on the outside edge. Take the same small file and gently work it around the outside edge. Don't apply much pressure since copper is very soft, just lightly work it around the outside edge to round off the corners. The shiny chrome ring (with the battery air vents on it) catches on the burrs.

Mine is now smooth as silk. No need to loosen anything inside the switch or anything. I also used a pencil to rub some graphite on the small pin inside the switch and the main copper post. Basically any part that rubs on other parts.

Butter.

Home this helps someone else with the crunchy switch.

Last edited:

r0adki111

Jun 14, 2014
United States
this is 100% correct. Did this about 2 weeks ago and my button is smooth as silk. Does anyone know if the top cap and be dissembled?

It looks like you can press the insulator and center pin out from the top. Also the the rest of the top assembly looks pressed together too. Haven't figured out how to press those apart without damaging yet. Please update if you find a way.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Clean it... clean it very well. Dawn dish soap, warm water, and scrubbing works wonders. Clean it good as it can look like nothing is there but there are fine grainy particles that cause the crunch.

Too many people leave the black gunk (like the picture above a few posts) and it can cause problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread