Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Well the resistance of the coil does not really matter. It is the wattage which causes the heat. The kayfun V5 with its peek insulators should be easily capable of handling 50-60W

I was just asking based on their own published data. "Recommended minimum .5 ohms", we can assume that on some low ohm builds, folks will be using higher wattages. Since I'm mostly a TC vapor, it probably will apply even less, I keep my wattages at about 35 watts, and just adjust the temperature.

My first build on this:
28 gauge TI G1.
3mm ID
8 wraps
.55 ohms

Just now Breaking in the Cotton Bacon v2. But already I can appreciate the added FLAVOR, compared to my little tanks with prebuilt coils, the Cubis, Melo 3, Lyche, STM's, etc.

The airflow at wide open is not as much as I can get from the tanks mentioned above, so I don't know if full on lung vapors will like it. I don't do lung hits, but as I wrote in a post earlier, I no longer enjoy tight draw MTL airflow. Seems there is no designation for folks like me that like a lot of airflow and vapor into my mouth, and the inhale the amount of vapor that's comfortable. Regardless, the airflow for me on wide open, with a deliberate long, slow pull just makes it.

I've read some folks would like even less air then the single hole setting, which boggles my mind, as I could never go back to the "sucking a golf ball through a straw", like I had years a go with my Nautilis Mini. But that's a users preference. I can only assume that most true MTL tight draw folks will love the airflow choices on the v5. If you are are cloud chaser and full on lung hitter, I guess it's possible, but I don't have that kind of lung power myself.

So far, a THUMBS UP, for me. If there were any less airflow, I would not be as happy. Next rewick, I'll try a little less cotton and see if I can get a bit more air, as well as trying some rayon wicking.

Little need for me to mention build quality, as you Kayfun users know, it's top shelf. I like that's it's simple, very few parts, easy to build, the hardware and functionality is EXCELLENT!

Gaurav

May 19, 2016
Anybody else find the kayfun mini v3 smoother?

I have the kayfun 5 with the exact same build give or take, and it is not as smooth as the mini. I think it's because if the airflow.

I wanted to get onboard with all the hype but my honest opinion is the kayfun mini 3 is better. The kayfun 5 has a better build deck though, that's for sure.

I appreciate others thoughts.

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
I've read some folks would like even less air then the single hole setting, which boggles my mind, as I could never go back to the "sucking a golf ball through a straw"

Haha, I'm one of those :) I have most of my high-end atties set to about the same airflow as the original non-adjustable KFL- I can easily do a lung hit on the K5 on the first setting- guess we all inhale slightly differently ;)

For me a v restricted MTL is good for high nic at work (to take a sneaky toot!), wheras at home, I switch between that and low nic direct lung :)

Reactions: AstroTurf

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Haha, I'm one of those :) I have most of my high-end atties set to about the same airflow as the original non-adjustable KFL- I can easily do a lung hit on the K5 on the first setting- guess we all inhale slightly differently ;)

For me a v restricted MTL is good for high nic at work (to take a sneaky toot!), wheras at home, I switch between that and low nic direct lung :)

Full lung hit on 1 hole setting, you are my SUPERMAN!
I'm satisfied with the 4 hole setting for my whimpy lungs, I think I've just gotten so use to the super airy tanks I've been using, gotten lazy, as I always have to remind myself, tighter draw, better flavor!

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Boy, I don't know folks. I think this thing is over hyped by about $70. I have nothing but praises for the the machining and ease to build but honestly, I have Kanger SubTank Mini's that vape fairly close to this and they're just as easy to build IMO.

I do vape MTL and this isn't bad for that. I expected much worse. The problem is you're limited to 4 air flow choices unlike other tanks that have an elongated slot which gives you infinite positions. Should be an easy modification for the KF6 :) Air flow is subjective and personal. Since the subtank craze, It's hard to find something made for us so maybe I'm just used to a little more air. If you're making the leap from a cigarette or a carto, this probably won't work. Flavor I won't comment much on because that's a crap shoot form person to person. For me it's about the same as a much cheaper Triton v2. (But no RBA).

I'm also irked because this thing reeked like a machinist's shop and required vigorous cleaning multiple times. For a $120 this just shouldn't be this bad.

Will it help to survive the pending FDA nuclear option? Perhaps but nobody really knows at this stage. I'd certainly stock up on replacement o-rings and glass once they're available. And speaking of o-rings, really lube this thing up after washing. It comes assembled pretty tight and dry.

Price aside, I can certainly see why it's appealing. But again, nothing to have orgasms over like a few youtube reviewers seem to do out there IMO.

Millah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
FL
I can lung hit a Nautilus Mini on any airflow setting. Lol. Theres no rule about how much airflow is necessary to do XYZ. Its all a matter of comfort and nic levels. Most people need the airflow to smooth out the hit. Its generally not comfortable having vapor trickle into your lungs, so more airflow allows vapor into your lungs faster. But thats also why higher wattage is common with lung hitting, due to the airflow diluting the vapor and decreasing its intensity. Whereas on MTL, you shoot all the vapor into your lungs at once. And your mouth has less "volume" than your lungs. Hence tighter draws being more preferable, so you're able to comfortably draw more vapor into your mouth.

I personally crave throat hit, so a tight lung hit is the only way I can vape lower nic levels and get any satisfaction. I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I'm accustomed to long, slow draws.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Got mine today.

Build deck with M2 screws is a dream.
Less parts to disassemble for "normal" cleaning and rebuild is nice but still more than my beloved Erlkonigins.

4ml is less than my long mode V4's but I'm guessing the V5 also won't leak like all of my V4's do that are in long mode.

Flavor of course is top notch but not any better than my V4's or Erlks.
IMHO, it's the small refinements that make the V5 worth having.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Got mine today.

Build deck with M2 screws is a dream.
Less parts to disassemble for "normal" cleaning and rebuild is nice but still more than my beloved Erlkonigins.

4ml is less than my long mode V4's but I'm guessing the V5 also won't leak like all of my V4's do that are in long mode.

Flavor of course is top notch but not any better than my V4's or Erlks.
IMHO, it's the small refinements that make the V5 worth having.

What is long mode?

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Anybody else find the kayfun mini v3 smoother?

I have the kayfun 5 with the exact same build give or take, and it is not as smooth as the mini. I think it's because if the airflow.

I wanted to get onboard with all the hype but my honest opinion is the kayfun mini 3 is better. The kayfun 5 has a better build deck though, that's for sure.

I appreciate others thoughts.
I'm there with ya. Count me in this group. Haha. Waiting anxiously to see what SvoëMesto has in store for the MTL crowd that they mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Deadkaiser

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2015
lol i hated the kf3 mini vaped 3/4 of a tank and put it on the shelf lol man it was so restricted i felt like i was getting a headache from trying to get vapor out of that thing :p Personally im surprised you don't find it smooth really its just the same design airflow wise simply instead of the open base feeding airflow its been enclosed but hey each to there own! imo ever new atty is defiantly over hyped any youtuber and other vape reviews have become the most useless thing ever they love every thing and live off the hype imo anyway still enjoy this atty thing although think my juice consumption has double lol anyway cant be helped that but for sure ill keep using my other favorite attys its not the end all atty for sure!

But I think its fair to say that a lot of hardcore MTL fans will not fall in love with this tank think its more a mid ground offering.........

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Well i was really wanting to get a k5, but then I was able to get a hurrican 1.3 for 100 bucks. And it's got the airflow that I crave that the k5 is apparently lacking. Now I don't need/want a k5. I mean if I could pick one up on the low low then maybe I might try it

Took a quick look at the Hurricane 1.3, while it may have more airflow and Vape great, seems some have paid as much as $190.00, plastic tank, looks like bottom fill, and that small amont of room between posts on the build deck looks unappealing. The YouTube review link below, also pointed out some issues when removing the component pieces. I don't even see any juice flow controller. Hey, might be the best RTA out there, but so far I'm finding the K5 awesome on how all the pieces work so well together.

Back to the K5;
I just switched juices, left the wick to test vaping through previous flavor. Took the entire tank apart, washed and dried in minutes, filled with 1/2 tank of new flavor and up and running in no time. This 2nd juice has oxidized quickly and badly, and has lost most of its flavor, but I can taste more of its lost flavor in this tank then any of my smaller tanks, close to my dripper comparisons. Love how well the closing of the juice controller works, no flooding or gurgles. Wish all tanks did this, but don't expect it inexpensive tanks like Cubis, Melo, or Subtanks.

Thought I'd add this, just watched the PBusardo review of the Hurricane from late last year. He loved it, the thumbs down points are about the same as the other reviewer. He claims it's still a MTL tank, even after it was pointed out he installed the deck, not lined up with the air holes. Not sure what version he reviewed but it did have the 5 X 2 holes. Two holes at 2.5mm, should give appox. 5mm of air, assuming the chimney is the same bore. Certainly should be good for lung hitters.

Hurricane 1.3 review link:

Last edited:

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
lol i hated the kf3 mini vaped 3/4 of a tank and put it on the shelf lol man it was so restricted i felt like i was getting a headache from trying to get vapor out of that thing [emoji14] Personally im surprised you don't find it smooth really its just the same design airflow wise simply instead of the open base feeding airflow its been enclosed but hey each to there own! imo ever new atty is defiantly over hyped any youtuber and other vape reviews have become the most useless thing ever they love every thing and live off the hype imo anyway still enjoy this atty thing although think my juice consumption has double lol anyway cant be helped that but for sure ill keep using my other favorite attys its not the end all atty for sure!

But I think its fair to say that a lot of hardcore MTL fans will not fall in love with this tank think its more a mid ground offering.........
Svoemesto is coming out with their MTL solution for a reason. :)

And the air is not the same in any regard. Bigger center pin bore. Similar to the Hurricane which PBusardo said is a bit harsh for MTL, which I agreed with due to its very large air opening below the coil.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread