Not open for further replies.

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Well I'll be. It just happened again. "Dry Coil" with about a third or almost half a tank left. I let it sit for (unknown time period, > 1 hour) and got that dry coil warning.

Left it in this state:
  • Mode: eco
  • Temp: 392°F (default temp after 2.1 update)
  • Joules: 25.0
  • 0.073Ω (I think. Must take better notes on Ohms calibrations)

After getting the dry coil warning, I tried:
  1. Dry pulls on the Erl (make sure that wick is wet - it is) - nope
  2. Pull battery and re-start - nope (yay! I remembered to get out of eco mode.)
  3. Remove and replace atty* - nope
  4. Calibrate* (sync as y'all are calling it) the atty (up && down buttons) - nope - at first. 2nd or 3rd test fired and is still firing. It calibrated at 0.068Ω as it did the first time I used this coil.

HOWEVER, I will not call this a bug or a problem with the device yet. Too many variables. I last used it outside in 85-90°F environment, but tried vaping it after it was in the A/C for a couple of hours. Should I need to recalibrate the coil when moving between extreme environments? And while it did happen with my previous rayon wick, this is the first time in a loooooong time that I've wicked with cotton. Although I have a lot of experience wicking the ErlK, I don't think I ever used cotton in one. It is very possible that my wick is week, though it keeps up even when pulling long lung hits at the above settings. This is also my first ever nickel coil - could wicking be different for TC in this RTA? I don't know. I do know that I'm going back to rayon after this tank.

At this point, I'm thinking that it is probably a problem with the wetware (as opposed to hardware, firmware, or software). Or PEBCAK for some of you programmers out there ;) I'll find out over the next few days, though I may be out fishing. I might bring this along, but certainly not as my main device until I get the kinks worked out (even if the kinks are my own).

* Not entirely certain about the order of items 3 and 4. I only took mental notes. Must find a pencil next time.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Well I'll be. It just happened again. "Dry Coil" with about a third or almost half a tank left. I let it sit for (unknown time period, > 1 hour) and got that dry coil warning.

Left it in this state:
  • Mode: eco
  • Temp: 392°F (default temp after 2.1 update)
  • Joules: 25.0
  • 0.073Ω (I think. Must take better notes on Ohms calibrations)

After getting the dry coil warning, I tried:
  1. Dry pulls on the Erl (make sure that wick is wet - it is) - nope
  2. Pull battery and re-start - nope (yay! I remembered to get out of eco mode.)
  3. Remove and replace atty* - nope
  4. Calibrate* (sync as y'all are calling it) the atty (up && down buttons) - nope - at first. 2nd or 3rd test fired and is still firing. It calibrated at 0.068Ω as it did the first time I used this coil.

HOWEVER, I will not call this a bug or a problem with the device yet. Too many variables. I last used it outside in 85-90°F environment, but tried vaping it after it was in the A/C for a couple of hours. Should I need to recalibrate the coil when moving between extreme environments? And while it did happen with my previous rayon wick, this is the first time in a loooooong time that I've wicked with cotton. Although I have a lot of experience wicking the ErlK, I don't think I ever used cotton in one. It is very possible that my wick is week, though it keeps up even when pulling long lung hits at the above settings. This is also my first ever nickel coil - could wicking be different for TC in this RTA? I don't know. I do know that I'm going back to rayon after this tank.

At this point, I'm thinking that it is probably a problem with the wetware (as opposed to hardware, firmware, or software). Or PEBCAK for some of you programmers out there ;) I'll find out over the next few days, though I may be out fishing. I might bring this along, but certainly not as my main device until I get the kinks worked out (even if the kinks are my own).

* Not entirely certain about the order of items 3 and 4. I only took mental notes. Must find a pencil next time.
I have gotten a "dry coil" warning a couple times when a connection wasn't tight enough. You might want to check that. ??

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL

I don't know what atomizer you are using, but one thing to add to the checklist is whether any e-liquid has collected on the 510 pin were it internally meets the atomizer. This can cause weird problems some times, which a Q-tip can easily resolve.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I last used it outside in 85-90°F environment, but tried vaping it after it was in the A/C for a couple of hours. Should I need to recalibrate the coil when moving between extreme environments?

I was wrong in this post...see further on.

Interesting question!
    I would think that the coil would adjust its temperature to the new environment a lot faster than the sensor on the board would. This would throw off the calibration by, perhaps, up to 20F. I don't know if this could throw it out far enough to cause the problems you're seeing though.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Vlad1

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2012
    Redneck Riviera
    www.mboyd.com
    I don't know what atomizer you are using, but one thing to add to the checklist is whether any e-liquid has collected on the 510 pin were it internally meets the atomizer. This can cause weird problems some times, which a Q-tip can easily resolve.

Very dry. I am careful with such connections and maintain them very well. <pulls atty for a triple check> Yep, clean, dry and shiny.

Interesting question!
    I would think that the coil would adjust its temperature to the new environment a lot faster than the sensor on the board would. This would throw off the calibration by, perhaps, up to 20F. I don't know if this could throw it out far enough to cause the problems you're seeing though.

I would think so, too. Especially since the first times it happened to me, it was in the house the whole time. IDK. Will try to have pen & paper handy more often.

ETA: Atomizer is authentic Erlkoenigin purchased from erlkoenigin.com

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2015
    UK
    I would think so, too. Especially since the first times it happened to me, it was in the house the whole time. IDK. Will try to have pen & paper handy more often.

Been wrong before so maybe am now too

But I would think its a connection problem not an ambient
    Regardless of ambient temp the device is reading resistance to guesstimate temperature and air on should not make any difference
    An intermittent poor connection would cause resistance to rise sharply under load tricking the device into thinking there is a dry coil
    In a warmer climate though metals will expand and could be masking the poor connection

Seems more logical but ...

Interested to see what you find as was leaning towards getting an Erl to run with TP

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Been wrong before so maybe am now too

But I would think its a connection problem not an ambient
    Regardless of ambient temp the device is reading resistance to guesstimate temperature and air on should not make any difference
    An intermittent poor connection would cause resistance to rise sharply under load tricking the device into thinking there is a dry coil
    In a warmer climate though metals will expand and could be masking the poor connection

Seems more logical but ...

Interested to see what you find as was leaning towards getting an Erl to run with TP

Hmm...good point, I think I was wrong earlier (post edited). If the calibration was done with both the coil and board at the same temperature than any future temp differences between the two shouldn't matter. Good catch!

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2014
    Garden Grove, CA, USA
    www.facebook.com

Hmm...good point, I think I was wrong earlier (post edited). If the calibration was done with both the coil and board at the same temperature than any future temp differences between the two shouldn't matter. Good catch!
    Once you calibrate the device properly with both mod and coil/tank in a stable atmosphere for a period of time where they are both the same, maybe 15-20 mins, you shouldn't need to re-calibrate because of going inside or outside with different temperatures. Every once in a while, maybe once or twice a day when the SXM has been sitting for a while, like overnight, I will re-calibrate. I only do that because the physics of the coil may change due to heating & cooling, gunk on the coil and wick, etc.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2014
    Garden Grove, CA, USA
    www.facebook.com
    This probably wasn't the case, but could you have been in power mode when you synced the TC coil? I did this earlier today when I switched from a kanthal build to nickel. It still synced fine but when I hit the power button I got a "resistance too low." I then realized I had forgotten to switch modes.
    Setting the resistance with the coil and mod have no relevance to which mode you are in so that shouldn't matter. Once you have it set properly all is good to go for all modes.

Reactions: jmercury1

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2012
    Redneck Riviera
    www.mboyd.com
    [RE: advice given to me about my "Dry Coil" warning]

I agree. I have always allowed atty && mod to sit a while before attempting to calibrate the coil. Maybe I can get into the habit of calibrating after a long sitting spell. Inconvenient, but not in any major way.

I decided to get another Erl after reading some TC success posts with them by @roxynoodle I haven't searched the forum for those post to see if she had a learning curve, but maybe I'll need to do that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, maybe I'll do wrap a whole new coil rather than re-wick when the tank is vaped out. It's only down to just under a 1/3 tank right now, though (I vape a lot of devices all the time).

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2014
    Garden Grove, CA, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Nice find Jim
    Thanks for the link
    I got in touch & bought this one
    sx%20bag_zpsdpzjyso2.jpg
    I am glad you liked them. :) Looks like good hand craftsmanship. Did he speak English or do you Italian? I didn't see any way to purchase them other than sending him an IM or posting something on his FB page. How did you guys communicate and how much is he selling them for?

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2015
    UK
    I am glad you liked them. :) Looks like good hand craftsmanship. Did he speak English or do you Italian? I didn't see any way to purchase them other than sending him an IM or posting something on his FB page. How did you guys communicate and how much is he selling them for?
    Yeah nice one thanks mate
    I added him as friend then sent messages in English which he replied ok to
    But some got lost in translation so I used Google translate and closed the deal in Italian
    Paid via PayPal 15euro for the case [he calls them bags] & 15euro to post to the UK

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 10, 2014
    Garden Grove, CA, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Yeah nice one thanks mate
    I added him as friend then sent messages in English which he replied ok to
    But some got lost in translation so I used Google translate and closed the deal in Italian
    Paid via PayPal 15euro for the case [he calls them bags] & 15euro to post to the UK
    That is about $16.45 US today which is a great price. Did you also pay shipping?

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 4, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Very dry. I am careful with such connections and maintain them very well. <pulls atty for a triple check> Yep, clean, dry and shiny.

I looked at video review by Twisted420 about that tank. The 510 connection looks to be quite robust, but the wicking does have to run through some long juice channels. That might be the potential problem area, as too much wick may choke off supply, while too little wick won't supply enough juice to the coil. Have you tried running the RTA without the tank and chimney?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread