Status
Not open for further replies.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
That makes no sense - I do get twice the battery life out of the ipv4 than I do with the SX mini!

I actually really like the little taco shell - makes changing the batteries super fast.

But it's really big and heavy. If this isn't an issue, then it's a great backup in my opinion!

It is definitely bulky.

I don't doubt that you are getting good battery performance but it is most likely some facet of the way the IPV4 works. That said I don't really want to debate the longevity of batteries in series verses parallel. It is very well documented on line.

Reactions: jmercury1

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
I'll second 26 Gauge Kanthal. With that I like annealed Temco better than the "tempered" stuff. I find the tempered stuff loses it's properties with time and the annealed stays way more constant.

Duane,

The Temco 26 Ga. if it didn't say annealed on the package I would swear it was tempered. According to Temco all their Ni200 is annealed. What I do know is it is sure easy to work with and pulling tight wick thru it is a piece of cake.

The apparent hardness of the 26 Ga may be just that I have never worked with 26 Ga. anything until this purchase from Temco.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Duane,

The Temco 26 Ga. if it didn't say annealed on the package I would swear it was tempered. According to Temco all their Ni200 is annealed. What I do know is it is sure easy to work with and pulling tight wick thru it is a piece of cake.

The apparent hardness of the 26 Ga may be just that I have never worked with 26 Ga. anything until this purchase from Temco.
I know for a fact that theTemco 26 gauge is annealed. It's just the difference in diameter and oh what difference that makes. I am just about to switch entirely to Ti wire...and I like 26 gauge there too (for coil configuration/resistance). That is a little bit of a challenge because it's pretty stiff but not so much that I'd go to a finer gauge. Besides I can rewick with a hammer and still have a good coil. :)

Reactions: HolmanGT

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
It is definitely bulky.

I don't doubt that you are getting good battery performance but it is most likely some facet of the way the IPV4 works. That said I don't really want to debate the longevity of batteries in series verses parallel. It is very well documented on line.

PS - Please don't interpret my unwillingness to debate the battery P vs S as a personal thing. It is a two fold thing with me; one I have some errands to run and have to get the heck of this key board and if we did start a debate on the bat scenario it would probably go on for ever. "Which FREEZES faster cold water or hot water" I have seen that one go on for years. :laugh:

Last edited:

jwylot

Apr 30, 2015
As for the memory issue when exiting the menu, I notice that it retains the wattage I have set, but it does show the wrong memory location. It defaults to M1 on the display, and if you hit the up button it will start at M1.

I went to my M3, which is set to 40 watts, set it there and went into the menu. When I came out, it still showed 40 watts but the display showed M1, which is set to my usual 25 watts on this build I have in the STM. Took a hit, and it was for sure at 40 watts still, as I set it there so I would know if it kept it. Burnt hit, which is what I get at 40 watts.
Until they fix this and allow us to store both temperature and Joules, these memory locations seem pretty useless to me. Possibly more useful in Watts mode but that's not what I bought the SXM for :)

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Say what do you guys think about the tempered NI200. I want to order somemore 28awg and not sure if the tempered is really needed. I have been using the regular Temco stuff without problems but jsut wondering if the tempered would be even easier with these 6 wrap coils. I haven't had any problems with the regular. Of course if I get the IPV I would more then likely use 30awg then I could see the tempered. That is still a big if cause I like the SX so much.

the 26awg Grade 1 Titanium is worth chucking in your basket to try

5 wraps at 3mm fits nice & having vaped on two tanks now for a few days using it
have found checking each day that it is still 0.265ohms same as day one on both coils/tanks

am using spaced coils & the lack of build up of gunge is a winner too

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
the 26awg Grade 1 Titanium is worth chucking in your basket to try

5 wraps at 3mm fits nice & having vaped on two tanks now for a few days using it
have found checking each day that it is still 0.265ohms same as day one on both coils/tanks

am using spaced coils & the lack of build up of gunge is a winner too
I really like 26 gauge Grade 1 Titanium also. I can get the coil configuration and resistance I want easily and I can rewick with a hammer because that coil is strong and stable.:)

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
That makes no sense - I do get twice the battery life out of the IPV4 than I do with the SX mini!

Batteries in parallel increase capacity (mAH), while batteries in series increase voltage. What one has to keep in mind is that we are consuming power, not volts or amps. So in parallel, two 4V batteries at 1A current drain will last twice as long as a single 4v battery (basically because the 1A current is split between the two batteries parallel). In series, two 4V batteries at 1A current drain will only last as long as single 4V battery (but you're getting twice the power at 8W versus 4W). With devices like the SX Mini, which use buck-boost and PFM though, you can control your power consumption such that power consumed is proportional to a parallel battery configuration. So he's right in a very narrow sense of battery configuration and mAH, but not in the sense of how the device uses the available power from the batteries.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Batteries in parallel increase capacity (mAH), while batteries in series increase voltage. What one has to keep in mind is that we are consuming power, not volts or amps. So in parallel, two 4V batteries at 1A current drain will last twice as long as a single 4v battery (basically because the 1A current is split between the two batteries parallel). In series, two 4V batteries at 1A current drain will only last as long as single 4V battery (but you're getting twice the power at 8W versus 4W). With devices like the SX Mini, which use buck-boost and PFM though, you can control your power consumption such that power consumed is proportional to a parallel battery configuration. So he's right in a very narrow sense of battery configuration and mAH, but not in the sense of how the device uses the available power from the batteries.

Amanda,

See how fast it gets convoluted.
One easy way out of this is to attribute some of the extra battery life to a more efficient DC to DC converter in the IPV4 and the IPV4 may also have synchronous rectification which also improves efficiency.

I am not saying that the SX doesn't have Sync Rectification but I have not seen them state that they do or don't. For that matter I haven't read that in the IPV4 specs either. Evolv's DNA40 has it and they brag it up big time so I personally would expect competitors to brag it up also.

I know I swore I wouldn't debate this but you read the article. So I figured if you did that I at least owed you a response.

Off topic completely but as a woman how does the IPV4 fit your hand. PBusardo darn near had an emotional break down over how it didn't fit his hand and he could feel the Bat cover wiggle. And no this is not some male chauvinist thing. For all I know you could be a six foot 3" female basket ball player. I am guilty of making the assumption that you are of modest build. Boy I should have never gone there - I know I am going to pay. :facepalm: :danger: I am going to stop now before the hole is too deep to crawl out of.

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Amanda,

One easy way out of this is to attribute some of the extra battery life to a more efficient DC to DC converter in the IPV4 and the IPV4 may also have synchronous rectification which also improves efficiency.

I am not saying that the SX doesn't have Sync Rectification but I have not seen them state that they do or don't. For that matter I haven't read that in the IPV4 specs either. Evolv's DNA40 has it and they brag it up big time so I personally would expect competitors to brag it up also.

I know I swore I wouldn't debate this but you read the article. So I figured if you did that I at least owed you a response.

Off topic completely but as a woman how does the IPV4 fit your hand. PBusardo darn near had an emotional break down over how it didn't fit his hand and he could feel the Bat cover wiggle. And no this is not some male chauvinist thing. For all I know you could be a six foot 3" female basket ball player. I am guilty of making the assumption that you are of modest build. Boy I should have never gone there - I know I am going to pay. :facepalm: :danger: I am going to stop now before the hole is too deep to crawl out of.
:lol:
Between you & Duane tonight
Think its best I hit the sack before my sides split
Feel like someones spiked me drink :eek:

Reactions: JimScotty0

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Amanda,

LOL I really didn't want you to feel this was going to be a big debate! Yes, the thing is huge. But I can chain vape 3mls in 15 minutes, so I really wanted something (I thought) would give me longer battery life than having to change batteries every tankfull. And, in spite of the facts, I can get 2-3 tankfulls out of these batteries (so 9-12 mls)! So, series or parallel (and, yes, I did read the links), I'm still a happy camper with my apparently extended battery life!

As far as holding it I do have small hands, and I much prefer my SXmini - and of course I prefer the aesthetics (although I did put a wrap on the IPV, and it's much improved). But if I'm having a lazy couch potato day then the IPV4 is on the coffee table along with the SXmini (ok ok, and every other mod I own!). And it's much faster/easier to change batteries in the IPV with the taco (which feels very firmly placed). I suspect P. Busardo's hands are bigger than mine and it felt entirely different in his hand than mine. But my IPV4 will never leave the house!

20150602_160126.jpg

20150602_160028.jpg

Last edited:

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
Anyone have a problem with their SX Mini crashing and/or freezing when they try to put it in "link" mode?

Mine is doing this, which is preventing me from updating...
Have you figured this out? Mine was doing it too...

Take out the battery and switch to a thicker cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I like the tempered but it is a pain to order from the UK. Have you tried Tempco 26 Ga. That stuff is stiff and your can treat it pretty much like Kanthal. You might have to go to 8 or 9 turns but the stuff is a pure pleasure to work with. (I don't know about other brands but Temco is stiff)
I don't care for the 26, I have a roll of it and I get too warm of a vape with it compared to 28.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
LOL I really didn't want you to feel this was going to be a big debate! Yes, the thing is huge. But I can chain vape 3mls in 15 minutes, so I really wanted something (I thought) would give me longer battery life than having to change batteries every tankfull. And, in spite of the facts, I can get 2-3 tankfulls out of these batteries (so 9-12 mls)! So, series or parallel (and, yes, I did read the links), I'm still a happy camper with my apparently extended battery life!

As far as holding it I do have small hands, and I much prefer my SXmini - and of course I prefer the aesthetics (although I did put a wrap on the IPV, and it's much improved). But if I'm having a lazy couch potato day then the IPV4 is on the coffee table along with the SXmini (ok ok, and every other mod I own!). And it's much faster/easier to change batteries in the IPV with the taco (which feels very firmly placed). I suspect P. Busardo's hands are bigger than mine and it felt entirely different in his hand than mine. But my IPV4 will never leave the house!

20150602_160126.jpg

20150602_160028.jpg

Amanda,

The two battery debate aside you are not the first to claim that the IPV4 gets GREAT battery life. So I don't think what you are experiencing is not to be beleaved. Besides we seem to be giving Quantum a good day giggling at us. ;)

I like the pink and black always a good combination but I will not try a wrap. I once tried putting tinted window film on my car and contact paper on the kitchen shelves. Both were a miserable failures. Actually I forgot about the protective screen film I tried to put on my cell phone that too turned out terrible between crooked and bubbles I decided that it just wasn't my forte. Which is only made worse by all the pictures people post that look so great.

As far as the battery cover I don't think the small little movement that Busardo showed in his Video would bother me at all but the long winded threads on the SXmini battery cap can be a little trying at times.

ATylerRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Las Vegas NV USA
I don't care for the 26, I have a roll of it and I get too warm of a vape with it compared to 28.
Lightning Vapes now carries tempered Ni200. It's not as springy as SV but not as soft as the annealed. I like it it ships free and very quickly from the good ole U.S. I've been using the 28g for a week now and have some 26g ordered.

OooHhh 4 "The Love of Vaping"

Reactions: jmercury1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread