SXmini mod ... Yihi

Status
Not open for further replies.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
Varitube spent a couple of days with YiHi in their booth at the TPC convention in Vegas. They posted some helpful info including pix and a very brief video about the new SX Mini and the SX350J temp controlled chip in the suppliers forum here, here and here.

Was just coming to post this - that last one was in response to me asking about it. I didn't think it would only be 4 months before I found a reason to make my SXmini the backup mod, but looks like that may happen around March. These things look great.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
Man, I can't wait to get one of these in my hand... :) I like that the M class body was made with a new mold with "attention to surface imperfections". Temp Protection verified as working and accurate with a $10k FLIR.. It's going to be one helluva mod for certain. :smokie:

I hear ya. After crashing and burning with 3 dna40 mods I hope yihi has nailed it. Love the idea of temp control.

djensen9367

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2012
oregon
I have had my mini for a short time and after using it i really don't think i like it. Quality is great, everything works BUT it is a pain in the .... to work with. No easy way to just raise or lower the watts, the memory settings just get in the way, an the g sensor needs to disappear. I am going to try a few more days but I think it will be going back as it is to fiddly to just sit and use. They need to have "simple" button on it for people like me. I use different atomizers and raise and lower watts to play with flavor and vapor, I bought this because clones are not reliable and i like quality mods but this if just a pain to use the way I vape. If anyone can tell me a way to make this easier to work with jump up and tell me, I might be missing a setting or something but I cannot figure out how to get into all the settings as their instructions are clear but i think not complete. That is my rant, I don't mind the cost but what a pain to use.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Was just coming to post this - that last one was in response to me asking about it. I didn't think it would only be 4 months before I found a reason to make my SXmini the backup mod, but looks like that may happen around March. These things look great.

I'm interested what Perry has to say after sending a couple days with the Yihi group about this chip. It would be great if you can retrofit the new chip in the older mod.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
I have had my mini for a short time and after using it i really don't think i like it. Quality is great, everything works BUT it is a pain in the .... to work with. No easy way to just raise or lower the watts, the memory settings just get in the way, an the g sensor needs to disappear. I am going to try a few more days but I think it will be going back as it is to fiddly to just sit and use. They need to have "simple" button on it for people like me. I use different atomizers and raise and lower watts to play with flavor and vapor, I bought this because clones are not reliable and i like quality mods but this if just a pain to use the way I vape. If anyone can tell me a way to make this easier to work with jump up and tell me, I might be missing a setting or something but I cannot figure out how to get into all the settings as their instructions are clear but i think not complete. That is my rant, I don't mind the cost but what a pain to use.
Hey. Tap the fire button so the screen lights up, then hit the small button nearest the screen, then the one below it. You can then scroll up and down with wattage. Easy peasy. Besides the first day I had mine, I've never been to the main menu with the g sensor as there's no need.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
Thanks a lot, that is a tremendous help. I knew their had to be a way, good feeling knowing that it won't change while in your pocket and pressing a button or two is not a big problem. I would really like to keep this as it appears to be a quality unit.

No problem bud. Waaaay easier than that gyro crap. No idea why that's even in there. Like I said, I just adjust everything the way I told you. Other than that I use the tap 3 times to lock/unlock and that's it.

petemoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Queens, NY

Agree that the instructions are incomplete and in my case, wrong. Here's what I do to adjust the wattage: take a puff and decide the wattage needs changing. While display is still lit, press the UP button (display will get brighter but other settings remain the same) and then press DOWN button (wattage goes down one tenth of a watt). Now use the up and down buttons to change wattage. So to adjust wattage, press up button then down button and then use the buttons as normally.

NavyChief52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Email contact and forum contact this afternoon.
Wanted a picture of the failure, once I provided that they directed me to return ship and once received they will ship out a replacement the same day.

Perhaps I just received a bad unit but I'll be quite careful working around that USB charging port from this point on. Obviously I never abused it but requiring constant tension on the charging cable leads me to believe the port attachment point on the main circuit board failed.

I'll let all know when I receive the replacement.
To close this out, Coval offered to test the replacement before shipping with my approval.
I received the replacement today.

Nice group of people to work with. Highly recommended.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...

press the fire button and then press the up button(the one closest to the fire button)- you can now use the up/down buttons to ad just the watts. do it quickly and it becomes second nature and very easy. press the fire button and then the down button(the one farthest from the fire button) and use the down button to adjust mode. it really is pretty easy and becomes second nature after you do it a few times. i don't even think about it any more i just do it naturally now. shame that is getting the way of you enjoying a great mod- i guess it is not for everybody and that's why they make so many different mods. you just need to find the one that is right for you. for me, it is the sx mini.....

i now have had a chance to vape with a dna40 mod side by side with my sx mini. i have to say i am one spoiled vapor. nothing compares to the 3 mode system in the sx mini. something about the "soft" and "Powerful" modes brings out my liquids far better than the the signal from any other mod. i have become so used to it that i can't get passed not having it with the other mods i use, no matter how high-end they are. it is a feature i never had before and if you asked i would have said i didn't need it but now, well now i won't do without it. for me anyway it is much more important than the temp control. i might feel differently later on when i get the new sx mini but for now it is what matters most. sure am glad i got 2 of them....

Last edited:

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
To close this out, Coval offered to test the replacement before shipping with my approval.
I received the replacement today.

Nice group of people to work with. Highly recommended.

That's great Chief, I was pretty impressed with Coval too. I'm sure a lot of folks on here will feel better reading this and knowing that if something does happen with the unit that it will be covered.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
Good unit. But I hope the new ones(TC) have new moulding that eliminates the slight sharp corners at the bottom.. Would be perfect to hold if they are slightly chamfered.. Anyway all pros.. That's the only con.. Nitpicking here of course ;)

i don't mind the sharp corners- in the hands of my wife it makes an excellent back-scratcher.....

bonmatos

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014
riviera, France
The SXmini is exellent, but not without flaws.

For me an of are more big flaw is the usb :(

Fragile, and especially without any means of monitoring current load (not light or signal on the screen when the SX is off)

The Chip (SX350mini) to the same defect, I hope that an update will solve the problem and that the new M Class will not have this problem

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
i don't mind the sharp corners- in the hands of my wife it makes an excellent back-scratcher.....

Actually the way the sharp corners are used depends on the mood and psychological make up of the wife. So..as you can imagine there are endless possibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Just read a post last night from a member that had hands on with an M series and he states that the bottom edges have been smoothed out and chamfered. Also that they may have changed the fine battery cap threads to course. The finish is going to be smooth instead of textured as well.
I put in a pre order so it's going to be a long 2 months waiting.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Just read a post last night from a member that had hands on with an M series and he states that the bottom edges have been smoothed out and chamfered. Also that they may have changed the fine battery cap threads to course. The finish is going to be smooth instead of textured as well.
I put in a pre order so it's going to be a long 2 months waiting.

You mean the Varitube thread, where you told them you placed an order with their competition?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-yihi-sxmini-mod-varitube-6.html#post15154605

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread