TC: Any reason against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
To go to the original question my answer would be no but it's not for me. I gave it a good try and just found it a pain when i get a perfectly good vape using power mode. Replay though i am loving!

And I have no problem with people having this opinion/experience.
It's good to have options so everyone can find their nirvana. Mine is TC. There is no inherent wrong with TC or my abilities that have TC as my vaping nirvana. I just like the smoother hit, I also didn't like Winstons because of the rougher hit.

I will say anyone who has a problem vaping outside in the winter should try TC. That was a big complaint about laws forcing people outside, but I have to say TC fixes the problem of sub-zero air blowing across a coil in every test I've run.

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Judging from my Legend's builds in TC that had to be a bad reading or warm coil. The mesh I'm using is so light mass it would be even hotter. It was the only mod I had that didn't bump them to glowing with the button push.
The problem that matches my Legend experience and what I've seen is the wattage is more like a suggestion than a limit like it is with other mods
Ok well I probably did make it sound like TC under the Legend just doesn't work period. No that isn't correct. It can do it pretty well sometimes. But under some conditions it just goes wacko.

No such problems here. TC even worked other than you can't adjust the wattage. My only problem is it overly drains one battery when sitting. And sitting is what it mostly does.
With the RX200, you can change the wattage under TC. It's been over two years for me since I used any of mine, but I believe that was four fire button clicks.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Ok well I probably did make it sound like TC under the Legend just doesn't work period. No that isn't correct. It can do it pretty well sometimes. But under some conditions it just goes wacko.

With the RX200, you can change the wattage under TC. It's been over two years for me since I used any of mine, but I believe that was four fire button clicks.

My Proton goes wacko according to build and wicking. I thought it was claptons but it's working fine with a single fused. It was dual coils (and screen mesh) it hates.

I can't check with the RX200, it's Arctic Fox now. I never could figure out how to change the wattage. It never burned for me, but did seem weak for always being set at 160w.
My thing against it and the DripBox 160 is they're like vaping an old table lighter.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
An hour sine the last post (I left and returned, LOL) I'm still standing.

This means, if I can just find a moderator to lock this thread, I WIN! What do I win, one might ask? Well it's not any sort of moral or informational argument, I thought TC was all that and more until I started using it, now I'm like, "You know what, I'm not even entirely sure I need "replay" even, I seem to do a reasonably good job of giving myself that "perfect puff" every time.

Yeah, it's probably low standards. LOL.

Anna

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Too low of resistance, it takes a lot of wire. Health questions and nickle allergies including forming nickle allergies from exposure. For me it tastes bad.
And Kanthal with iron, rust, and aluminum isn't a problem? Then there is Ni80, still nickel. Then there is SS is a weird oddball. SS430 is magnetic (one of the few SS which can be bought without nickel) while other SS is not. What is the deal there? Nobody really knows about the dangers of SS.

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
And Kanthal with iron, rust, and aluminum isn't a problem? Then there is Ni80, still nickel. Then there is SS is a weird oddball. SS430 is magnetic (one of the few SS which can be bought without nickel) while other SS is not. What is the deal there? Nobody really knows about the dangers of SS.

Nope, chromium is the question with Kanthal (and SS). Aluminum isn't proven to be a problem, I've been all through that with metallurgists learning about brewing pots for beer.
For sure all metal exposure is a question with vaping. Not one I have a big worry about since I work with metals and am exposed to much worse (cadmium).

I didn't say I agree with the fears of NI-200, just stating what they are. Although exposure causing the increase in NI allergies is strongly suspected to be the cause by medical science.
The biggest problem for me and NI-200 is trying to fit that much wire most places, which may not be as big of a problem with modern mods and lower resistance requirements.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
What's the problem with Ni200 wire? That's the only TC capable wire my local vape shop had...
Having previously been chastised for downing it, I am tempted to not reply. However, let me just say I personally do not like the flavor of the wire. If you can lay your hands on some Stainless 316 or some Titanium, you might think the same if you tried it. Or maybe not...

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Having previously been chastised for downing it, I am tempted to not reply. However, let me just say I personally do not like the flavor of the wire. If you can lay your hands on some Stainless 316 or some Titanium, you might think the same if you tried it. Or maybe not...
I tend to agree, i am not a fan but if people like it fair enough. I just find it amusing those making it out to be the bee's knees when 1, % of people using TC on forums will i believe be very low 2, Guests tend to outnumber members 12 to 1 approx on forums my point being those that become members are really into vaping big time to almost Geek level sometimes so i would imagine % of people in the world using TC will be even less than on forums. 3, i have not met one single person who uses TC. 4, i have met about 4 people who used TC when it came out but once the fad was over gave it up as a waste of time. And finally 5, if you watch all the Youtube reviewers including those that give the charts and tell you the data whether the temp control is smooth or not etc, guess what when they are giving their final thoughts vaping away they are vaping in power mode.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
It doesn't matter. Ni80 still has a TCR (small but it is there), your atty has it's own TCR, and the copper wires to the 510 has a TCR, and the 510 also has its own TCR.

You might say whoa Bill, that is a lot to figure out. Yes at first it is intimating. But it doesn't take long before you can start by taking wild guesses and get pretty close from to get go. And you might say well ok, but far too complicated. Well ok, but there is Replay that throws all of this out the window. Nothing to figure out. Just adjust wattage until you get your favorite vape and save. All done.
I already know that Ni80 still has a TCR, but it is way too small for TC to work well enough with such a heavy coil build, and besides, for me and how I like to vape, TC simply just sucks regardless of anything, anyway in the first place. At best it vapes the same as wattage mode so the time and effort it took to set it up right is still wasted, at worst it's an anemic vape that's lacking any kind of punch so even more time is wasted on trying to fix that which is unfixable. Further, I have no interest in using Replay, as I barely even use a regulated mod anymore nowadays, and, it's just a matter of personal preference, but I vastly prefer to use my tube mechs because, like I said up thread, I'm with @suprtrkr on this, as the best way for me to control the vape is by eliminating anything and everything that gets in the way of controlling it myself.

• Creative

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Yes this is true for the most part. But some of us are a bit more picky. And one of the great things about mechs is efficiency. But if you are only using half of the capacity, that throws the efficiency down to 50% right there. Well kind of, since recharging doesn't take long either. But you are swapping batteries more often. So that counts too.
Mechs just give me a more satisfying vape and better flavor. At the time when I was still new to vaping I was highly skeptical about that, but vaping is believing so it didn't take very long before I was converted. Efficiency on a single battery tube mech for how I like to vape on it is nothing to jump up and down about, as I'm always above the CDR despite I don't recommend this to anyone. (Mooch said the CDR is all he will recommend, I understand perfectly why he said that, and also I concur.) But on a regulated mod going above the CDR is putting the risk factor in the hands of some Chinese chipmaker, which is something I refuse to because it would be asking for trouble. Whereas on a mech I'm the guy who is the safety so because I trust myself with a mech I get the extra power from going above the CDR as a bonus without the need for a dual battery regulated mod that's less practical for me to carry around everywhere, that eventually will break, potentially when I'm not at home so that I have no backup mod within reach until I get back home, and that, more importantly in addition to that, vapes worse so it's basically just useless to me in every possible way, and that is putting it mildly as opposed to "being a bit more picky".

Mech mods also give me the added joy of making some certain people so envious that they can't even see the fact the imbalance of the wicks in the picture I posted is caused by the camera lens distortion of my old phone. So mechs are a real no-brainer.

• Optimistic

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Mechs just give me a more satisfying vape and better flavor. At the time when I was still new to vaping I was highly skeptical about that, but vaping is believing so it didn't take very long before I was converted. Efficiency on a single battery tube mech for how I like to vape on it is nothing to jump up and down about, as I'm always above the CDR despite I don't recommend this to anyone. (Mooch said the CDR is all he will recommend, I understand perfectly why he said that, and also I concur.) But on a regulated mod going above the CDR is putting the risk factor in the hands of some Chinese chipmaker, which is something I refuse to because it would be asking for trouble. Whereas on a mech I'm the guy who is the safety so because I trust myself with a mech I get the extra power from going above the CDR as a bonus without the need for a dual battery regulated mod that's less practical for me to carry around everywhere, that eventually will break, potentially when I'm not at home so that I have no backup mod within reach until I get back home, and that, more importantly in addition to that, vapes worse so it's basically just useless to me in every possible way, and that is putting it mildly as opposed to "being a bit more picky".

Mech mods also give me the added joy of making some certain people so envious that they can't even see the fact the imbalance of the wicks in the picture I posted is caused by the camera lens distortion of my old phone. So mechs are a real no-brainer.

Hi cool post! I will never have the confidence to use a mech mod, but I am curious : how do you go above the CDr safely? I never knew mech mods gave more flavor, now it makes sense why people use them :) I recently discovered mesh coils and can finally taste my juice, is it as good of flavor as the new mesh coils coming out?

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Judging from my Legend's builds in TC that had to be a bad reading or warm coil. The mesh I'm using is so light mass it would be even hotter. It was the only mod I had that didn't bump them to glowing with the button push.
The problem that matches my Legend experience and what I've seen is the wattage is more like a suggestion than a limit like it is with other mods.

No such problems here. TC even worked other than you can't adjust the wattage. My only problem is it overly drains one battery when sitting. And sitting is what it mostly does.

Which is a false claim. There is nothing in VW curve that stops overheating. Got that? NOTHING.
If you have it set up to not overheat when you're not hitting on it you will be getting an anemic vape when you are hitting on it.

I've been building vapes long before you knew what vaping was. And I've been bending small gauge wire professionally about 30 years before vaping. Get over yourself. If anything your over inflated ego has you incapable of learning.

He's just about to head there for me. Every where I see him it's the same thing.

You can set TC up like that, at least on mods that have wattage as a hard setting. I suspect that's how many who hate TC have it set up judging from what I've seen, including too hot of temperatures to even be a limiting factor of dry/burnt hits.
Sorry, but no, my claim isn't false because I can prove that I can use a custom power curve to make my coils ramp up faster without overheating anything. That's just because each and every single experienced wattage vaper already knows how to avoid getting a dry hit, or else they wouldn't all stick to using wattage mode anyway in the first place. ;)

I have read through the rest of your retort, but it merits no reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread