TCR value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orko38

Jun 14, 2018
Hi everyone !

Can anyone tell me what's the best TCR value on the tarot nano box for SS36L coil ?

I can't find it anywhere, i only find something like :
Stainless Steel 316L

88 – 92

OR

SS316L: 0.00092

But if i use those values, almost nothing happen when i'm vaping, even if i put 315°C on the mode !

I think i'm missing something here

Thanks !

Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Hi everyone !

Can anyone tell me what's the best TCR value on the tarot nano box for SS36L coil ?

Stainless Steel 316L

88 – 92

OR

But if i use those values, almost nothing happen when i'm vaping, even if i put 315°C on the mode !

Thanks !

If you look at Vaporessos website they suggest a TCR of 100. However I do change that to 92 on my Revenger X. I usually end up vaping at between 410F up to 460F depending on what type of atty I’m using and juice.

Orko38

Jun 14, 2018
If you look at Vaporessos website they suggest a TCR of 100. However I do change that to 92 on my Revenger X. I usually end up vaping at between 410F up to 460F depending on what type of atty I’m using and juice.
So i tried tcr 92 on 210°C(410F) and 240 (approx. 460°F) ==> nothing, no vapor...

I use .5 cermaic coil, currently at 30w set

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I found TC both frustrating and a extensive learning curve that I never really did grasp completely enough to continue using the TC mode, way too much hit and miss to enjoy TC vaping. I even installed Arcticfox into my Istick100 modifying the power curves but that helped some but still never really got a satisfying enough vape. I have never liked the high power pull like hell not to burn either your throat or coil, usually below 40 watts is fine for me.
I TC'd claptons with a single SS core and wraps, not tried a single wire build or any other wire types but maybe one day revisit TC. The only help I might be is I used Fahrenheit instead of Celsius and kept my temps between 380 and 450, used nasty subohm builds to 1.6Ω and eventually back to wattage mode using kanthal core with SS wraps.

So i tried tcr 92 on 210°C(410F) and 240 (approx. 460°F) ==> nothing, no vapor...

If you blow down slowly do you get vapor come out of the airflow?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I found TC both frustrating and a extensive learning curve that I never really did grasp completely enough to continue using the TC mode, way too much hit and miss to enjoy TC vaping. I even installed Arcticfox into my Istick100 modifying the power curves but that helped some but still never really got a satisfying enough vape. I have never liked the high power pull like hell not to burn either your throat or coil, usually below 40 watts is fine for me.
I TC'd claptons with a single SS core and wraps, not tried a single wire build or any other wire types but maybe one day revisit TC. The only help I might be is I used Fahrenheit instead of Celsius and kept my temps between 380 and 450, used nasty subohm builds to 1.6Ω and eventually back to wattage mode using kanthal core with SS wraps.

This is why I spend a Benjamin on a therion. See if I could get replay going. Seems I got some sort of issue with my desktop machine though and it won’t recognise any of my mods to update the firmware :/ gonna have to find a computer to borrow.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I have a few mods (including the tarot nano) that I could not get going on TC. That caused me to frown at, and eventually give up on TC.
Since I started using DNA mods it all changed. I now love TC, and I'll be hard pressed to buy something without a DNA chip.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Hi everyone !

Stainless Steel 316L

88 – 92

OR

Thanks !

What happens if you use the same coil in regular power mode?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
This is why I spend a Benjamin on a therion. See if I could get replay going. Seems I got some sort of issue with my desktop machine though and it won’t recognise any of my mods to update the firmware :/ gonna have to find a computer to borrow.

Some USB cords are just for charging and not for data transfer. Could be why the comp doesn't recognize the hitter.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Set the TCR where it functions best.... 88 to 92 with or without the zeros depending on mod is the technical value.. I find 316L does best on my Pico in the mid 70s. For the builds I run.... some build will do better with setting above the sciency range.....

See the tcr value doesn't account for the affect of air and juice has on how the metal heats and cools... for this reason optimum may not fall within technical specifications.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
See the tcr value doesn't account for the affect of air and juice has on how the metal heats and cools... for this reason optimum may not fall within technical specifications.

That would be 100% wrong. A lot of factors do play into what temp the coil is at, but the resistance change per degree is always the same. If what you said was true a piece of wire that was 400F in still air and an identical piece at 400F in wind would have different resistances. That is absolutely NOT the case.

Factors that can play into how accurate a TC mod is includes: how accurate it can read resistance, how accurately the internal resistance of the mod is calibrated, how fast it can read the resistance changes and react to it etc. Deficiencies in these areas are why some mods use/work better with different or non-standard TCR values.

Orko38

Jun 14, 2018
Hi, was sleeping, i'm gonna answer everyone of you !

Yes, but very little bit.

What happens if you use the same coil in regular power mode?

At 30w it works, muted taste and cold vapor (i need to get up to 34w to have a sweet spot)

Set the TCR where it functions best.... 88 to 92 with or without the zeros depending on mod is the technical value.. I find 316L does best on my Pico in the mid 70s. For the builds I run.... some build will do better with setting above the sciency range.....

Like io said in my first post, if i set those values = nothing is happening

What specific tank and coil are you using?

I'm currently using Vaporesso EUC CERAMIC 0.5ohms coil (Staineless Steel) on the Vaporesso Veco Plus Tank

Thank you all for answering !

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
The problem could be the coil itself... pre-fab coils tends to be finicky.

But for TCR value, I found that it can be very tricky.. some mods are spot on, others are way off, and others can't stop dropping out of TC mode.

Check your firmware and if your mod can be updated... some times, the latest firmware is not the best.

A few examples...

Most Eleaf mods I have have been spot on, except the IKoon, the only firmware that works right is V1.4, all others droop out of TC mode.

My SmoAnt Cylon is spot on.

My GTR Rev is off and I had to play with the manual settings and found that 0.001200 worked fairly well.

My SMOK Cube 2 is fairly spot on.

My Therion DNA75 was way off, absolutely terrible as is when new.. took me a while to adjust and find the best settings to get it balanced, and that was to adjust the curve in the materials (for SS) to
-100, 0.860
68, 1.000
800, 1.400

With all my mods, the only factors being the tanks I use (all RTAs) and the coil I put in them, which are from 0.2 (for duals) to anywhere from 0.4 to 0.9 for my singles, and I've seldom need to go above the 400F, most being about 300F to 360F.

So I'd suggest that you try playing with your settings, and as you can see, I've gone up to
0.001200 on one of them, so the goal is to get it working right for you, so don't worry about the numbers all that much. It's just that for those coils, that might be that it needs a different than standard TCR value.

So first, set your mod to something like like 50W and 320F, then either lower or increase the TCR value by increments of 1 to 3 points at a time, try it, and see how it works, and if still not right, repeat until you get something that you find to be just right for you.

Just be gentle as you could end up going from "not bad" to dry hit very easily. That's where you'll know that you've found a setting to get your bearings from (as in, you've found the WAY too high point and time to lower it and never go that high again).

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I'm currently using Vaporesso EUC CERAMIC 0.5ohms coil (Staineless Steel) on the Vaporesso Veco Plus Tank
That is not going to work well. I used to use EUC coils in a Vaporesso Estoc in TC. Even though the wire is stainless, the TCR of the coil head is way off specification. I tried a variety of values and just gave up.

Drop in coils suck at TC. Resistance changes because of a lack of a stable electrical connection between the coil head and the base. An unstable resistance reading from tank fill to tank fill means fiddling with resistance setting and TCR.

The only drop in coils I liked in TC were the Kanger SSOC 316 coils in the Subtank and Toptank.

You get the best TC vape with a rebuildable.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
When setting up TCR or TC or TFR with SS I Start with what ever wattage i would use in VW. With TC and TFR I will adjust temps and till satisfied. In TCR i set desired temp and adjust TCR value till close to desired vape is reached. Then fine tune by adjusting temp setting.

Final setting may and often do fall outside of scientifically specified values.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I agree that ceramic coils will be finicky. If you try wattage mode, well the only difference will be you won't have a ceiling temperature to keep your coil in the "safe" zone. Depending on how you vape, whether you chain vape or not, your tank may or may not rise to an unsafe temperature but it's hard to measure without specific equipment.

If you do decide on wattage, there are still some things you can do to stay in the "safe" zone, like higher PG (or even up to 10% distilled water, water has the highest "boiling point" compared to PG (better than VG) VG (the lowest boiling point). Try to rotate setups if you can, and use airflow and wattage to control temp.

Finally, I am going to agree with other that ceramic coils and drop in coils in general quite often don't give a great TC experience. If you want good TC I'd suggest checking out this forum to see if RTAs or an RDA may be for you.Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I use .5 cermaic coil, currently at 30w set

TC mode requires the stainless steel coil to be spaced (stretched to create air space between the coils). The ceramic coil you are using, is it a factory pre-made coil? If so, you might check the manufacturer's web site to see if it's compatible with TC mode. Also, look at the coils to see if they are touching or have space between the coils.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
That is not going to work well. I used to use EUC coils in a Vaporesso Estoc in TC. Even though the wire is stainless, the TCR of the coil head is way off specification. I tried a variety of values and just gave up.

Drop in coils suck at TC. Resistance changes because of a lack of a stable electrical connection between the coil head and the base. An unstable resistance reading from tank fill to tank fill means fiddling with resistance setting and TCR.

The only drop in coils I liked in TC were the Kanger SSOC 316 coils in the Subtank and Toptank.

You get the best TC vape with a rebuildable.

Never tried TC with drop in coils, but I agree it sounds like a resistance problem.

I've had similar problems with my own coils. Sometimes a coil that works fine in power mode won't do anything in TC. Or go the other way and give me a red hot blast. A slightly loose screw can cause the resistance to wobble, TC seems to be much more sensitive to that than power mode. For TC I just got into the habit of being extra careful with the connections on the deck, and cleaning the 510 and so forth. You don't have so much control of that stuff with a drop in coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread