The “Cola” Method Taken to Another Level That Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Well I'm in to my 48th day with my 901 atty and the cola soak. Knock on wood. Maybe we should retire these babies to the atty hall of fame.

amazing..I certainly wouldn't reccomend that you use the dry burn idea if you are getting that kind of lifetime from an atty with the cola soak.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
amazing..I certainly wouldn't reccomend that you use the dry burn idea if you are getting that kind of lifetime from an atty with the cola soak.

This one is really impressing the heck out of me. Don't know if it was a fluke during manufacture or what. My two previous test subjects failed around the 30 day mark so I was kind of expecting the same with this one. Even at 25 to 30 days per atty it sure beats the life expectancy I was experiencing.

Good luck on your test subject Pete. As Mr. Spock might say..... "Live long and produce vapor."

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
This one is really impressing the heck out of me. Don't know if it was a fluke during manufacture or what. My two previous test subjects failed around the 30 day mark so I was kind of expecting the same with this one. Even at 25 to 30 days per atty it sure beats the life expectancy I was experiencing.

Good luck on your test subject Pete. As Mr. Spock might say..... "Live long and produce vapor."

That's the strange thing about vaping there is no 'one' idea that works for all people. It's great that everyone always posts the different things that seem to work for them. If you don't have any luck with one method you can soon find another idea to try out.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
That's the strange thing about vaping there is no 'one' idea that works for all people. It's great that everyone always posts the different things that seem to work for them. If you don't have any luck with one method you can soon find another idea to try out.
all juice concoctions burn differently leaving slightly different deposits behind, all bat powers are different which effects buildup, all atty's are different, I agree, your solution for your problem may vary.

(disclaimer - pregnancy may occur, offer void where prohibited by law, walk-don't run)

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
From everything I've gathered in this thread and others it seems that VG clogs an atty worse, but can be cleaned or burned easier. PG is easier on a atty, but you can't clean it nearly as well. Sill not sure about burning PG off though. Time will tell.

I've been reading all the threads in hopes of finding a method for both PG and VG attys. It would seem that the ice machine cleaner and burning works very well on VG attys. The ice machine cleaner has limited success in Sun's reports and my tests on PG attys. I'm going to try the burning method on my next atty and see what that does. I use PG exclusively. Not enough throat hit with VG for me.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Wow, lots of reading to do after I cut the grass.................
Did a lot of skimming through here.
I had a 601 die from a burnt wire.
Took it apart, a massive amount of gunk shaped just like the 2 bottom feed holes.
It was vaped with straight purchased PG liquid.
It appeared the wire broke just outside the blob due to having to use so much heat just before its demise.
I tried all the listed methods, not efferdent yet, vinegar, alcohol, pepsi, stronger phosphoric acid, boiling water and the only thing that had any effect seemed to be the pepsi. Maybe 10% loss? All were soaked 12 hrs then rinsed. No heating. I still see no sign of a coil even after trying Gumout, other autmotive degreasers and Electronic Circuit cleaner baths. I wouln't think of vaping anything after that. Alas , they showed no improvement.

I read an interesting note on attys dying after a pepsi bath. Since I've been rebuilding my attys I have been looking into suitable materials for wicks. Oddly enough some stated they were highly corrosive resistant to most anything other than Hydroflouric and Phorsphoric Acid. Hmmmmm...the attys that died from pepsi may have had the wicks dissolved if this material was used in them. I've never seen posted what the companies use so who knows. If I can find the ref. again, I'll post it.

Edit: This is on the possible wicking material being used. I've had a couple with no wicks.
"They resist most acids with the exception of hydrofluoric acid and hot phosphoric acid."
http://www.argosyinternational.com/datasheet/Thermal Management Systems-Eglass 10.14.08.pdf

Just an interesting thought..............

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Ok....here is a thought.
The batteries are usually listed as 3.6-3.7v. Chargers will take them to 4.15v normally.
Atomizers range from 2.8-3.4ohms from what I've measured.
This determines the amount of heat the coil generates if adaquate current is available.

Carbon forms when a substance is burnt. What if it vaporizes at a given temp/voltage lower than our optimal factory charging conditions without burning? We would create carbon till the battery dies off a bit and not have to.
Has anyone tried regulating the voltage lower to see the minimum that PG or VG will vaporize? An amp meter would be a good indicator for the varying voltages and ohms.
Many have stated that the higher voltages produce more fog and less flavor.
I have cutoffs in autos that when measured are 3-3.3v still producing vapor. Not much at 3v.
There may be a good current window to stay in and avoid carbon formation all togetier or reduce it greatly.

A little food for thought.......

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
<snip>
Hmmmmm...the attys that died from pepsi may have had the wicks dissolved if this material was used in them. I've never seen posted what the companies use so who knows. If I can find the ref. again, I'll post it.

Just an interesting thought..............

During my cola baths I use nothing but Diet Pepsi and I have never had a problem. Dissection of my previous deceased test subjects indicated wire breakage as the cause of death with the wicks still intact. There was a previous discussion about the coil wire becoming brittle with extended use and I tend to agree. On one of test subjects it stopped working after I dropped it in the sink during a rinse. If folks were having a problem with the "regular" Pepsi maybe it had to do with the sugar content of the solution.

Last edited:

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
Well my current test subject is still going strong into its 68th day. Double knock on wood. I thought I killed it one day when I dropped my batt box down the stairs. The multiple impact broke the box, but the atty survived.
Two question. You mentioned a battrey box. How many volts are you running? Also, are you vaping PG or VG juice?

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Two question. You mentioned a battrey box. How many volts are you running? Also, are you vaping PG or VG juice?

My batt boxes use two 3.7 volt, 900 mAh, li-on batteries. The batteries are in parallel and provide an average of 3.7 volts to the atty. Although I can get a day and a half out of a set of batteries, I generally change to a fresh set each morning so that they are at their peak performance. That seems to work best with a freshly primed atty.

I also use a modded manual USB passthrough from time to time when at home. That is powered by a 1 amp wall transformer and features a dual voltage of 5.2 & 4.6 volts. I mainly use the 4.6 setting as I found the higher voltage is a juice hog and the flavor is a bit watery for me. I also wasn't experiencing the best atty life at a continous 5.2 volts.

My juice is PG from a variety of vendors. I do add some VG to my Johnson Creek juice to thicken it a bit.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, let me know.

Last edited:

casey8579

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2009
Near Wilmington NC
Fr0st8it3,
A dry burn (at least the way I do it) is remove cart blow out any remaining liquid, then hold the battery button until the atty coil glows red. I only hold it until it glows red a second or two at most.

Try it at your own risk, works well for me (510 atty), but others say it kills their attys.

Also, I would only recommend do this with a relatively new atty, if it already has a build up on the coil it won't glow red and you probably would kill it trying to burn it off.

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I've been using a manual battery on my 801 and 901 for dry burns. I simply shake out the atty like you used to shake down the old glass thermometers to remove the excess juice then use the manual battery to do the burn. I give it 3-5 good burns depending on how much I've been vaping and how long since my last burn. This has done pretty good at keeping my atty running at full performance for some time now. I vape PG exclusively. I usually go through 3-5 ml of juice a day and use a stock battery.

Last edited:

NooBRex

Sep 29, 2009
Glenpool,Ok
I found 16oz. Nu Calgon nickel safe cleaner at "United Refrigeration", for around $8.00. They are an HVAC supply house, may be one in your area. I'm new to vaping 9 days in, straight off analogs, 33 year smoker. I split the bottle with my brother. I poured solution into a coffee cup, just enough to cover the bottom, filled the rest of the cup with water. I'm trying a little preventive maintenance to attys to see how long mine will last. I'm rotating four. I'm also an ex HVAC Technician, now a truck driver, I've also worked with these chemicals and can't stress enough about flushing with water and when you think it's flushed enough , flush it some more......So far, results are good. When an atty seems to be clogging and I can't blow threw it as well as I think it should be, I'll drop it in the solution for a few hours. Repriming takes up to 5 to 7 hits before vapor begins, this may startle some folks...After cleaning atty performs well.........I'll be watching this thread.........Just my .02 cents which is now valued at -.04 cents. Good Luck and may the vapor be with you. :rolleyes:

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I vape strictly PG juice. I took an 801 atty apart after it got very cold and eventually failed and dropped it in the Nu Calgon, straight and let it soak. It did remove a fair amount of the crud that was on the coil, but not all of it. The coil is still covered with a layer of what I assume is carbon bridging the gap between the coils.

According to Sun's posts, the stuff works very well on attys used with VG, but my experience would indicate that it doesn't work as well with PG, though it does show some effect.

The last atty I used lasted for right at a month and all I did with it was daily burns using a manual 801 battery. I usually only get about 2 weeks out of a atty and vape 3-4 ml a day so the daily burns doubled the life on my atty. Still have to tear it apart to see how the coil looks though.

Last edited:

override

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Danbury, TX
I have not read through but the first 2 pages of this thread...It seemed like alot of people were having issues finding this stuff (suppliers) that are local.

The website it self has a "where to buy" link that you can search by zipcode to find a supplier near you. I have about 25 or more of them within 12 - 50 miles of me. Im near Houston, TX.

Well anyways I'm glad to of found this thread! I have stayed away from giving my attys a bath or anything of the such because the first time I cleaned them in everclear I had .... tons of issues with my attys afterwords.

Im using the EVO's...

Thanks for all the great info so far!

kgonepostl

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
I vape strictly PG juice. I took an 801 atty apart after it got very cold and eventually failed and dropped it in the Nu Calgon, straight and let it soak. It did remove a fair amount of the crud that was on the coil, but not all of it. The coil is still covered with a layer of what I assume is carbon bridging the gap between the coils.

According to Sun's posts, the stuff works very well on attys used with VG, but my experience would indicate that it doesn't work as well with PG, though it does show some effect.

The last atty I used lasted for right at a month and all I did with it was daily burns using a manual 801 battery. I usually only get about 2 weeks out of a atty and vape 3-4 ml a day so the daily burns doubled the life on my atty. Still have to tear it apart to see how the coil looks though.

Seems to be working just right! Just gotta do it as much as it needs. Lather rinse and repeat dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread