~The Billet Box~ page 1559 continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
It doesn't matter now I am done buying hardware, I am happy with what I have. I have no interest in a painted BB if that is what he does. I would think he would try doing the anodizing himself, there are Youtube videos on that. If he made a Rev4 Flipper that is actually made of Brass, then I would be all over that. :|

KAS
I'm with you about the change in finish. I guess I don't understand why one shop having problems anodizing would cause somebody to just abandon the whole thing. I guarantee that there are still thousands of shops putting out attractive, durable, and properly done anodized goods.

You hit the bullseye that just changing to paint is not an option - not for me anyhow. And though ceracoat is highly regarded in a lot of other areas, I stay away from it for anything related to vaping. Yes, it is a very tough surface and doesn't scratch easily. But every ceracoated vape thing I've had has been very prone to chipping. Totally losing even a small area stands out much more than a scuff or light scratch.

It's 2020 and few things have gone right. So my dream of Zencote as a replacment is wishful thinking.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
It's 2020 and few things have gone right. So my dream of Zencote as a replacment is wishful thinking.

Yeah a Zencote would be a good finish, but that is mainly used on stainless. I do remember Zen talking about a coating for aluminum that he developed, but I never heard anything else about it. :unsure:

KAS

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
It doesn't matter now I am done buying hardware, I am happy with what I have. I have no interest in a painted BB if that is what he does. I would think he would try doing the anodizing himself, there are Youtube videos on that. If he made a Rev4 Flipper that is actually made of Brass, then I would be all over that. :|

KAS

I guess you'll just have to settle for the 18 Rev3 Flippers you've got then. ;):lol:

I've got a lot of brass, but none of the Billet Box variety. :ohmy:

:tumble: :angel: :2c: :laugh:

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I guess you'll just have to settle for the 18 Rev3 Flippers you've got then. ;):lol:

I've got a lot of brass, but none of the Billet Box variety. :ohmy:

:tumble: :angel: :2c: :laugh:

Ha! Just one Rev 3 Flipper in my stash,
I do have one of each color of the Rev3's also though. :blush:

KAS

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
th

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
I always sort of wanted a white Billet. But 98% of the vape ceracoted stuff on the market is junk. That finish is somewhat scratch resistant, but chips so easily I'm afraid that in a short time even the most careful user will be looking at battle scars on his new mod.

I hope that they found a REALLY good place to get this done. I've seen a few things that are durable but it is not an easy task.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
My only good experience with it (not counting 2A stuff), was Curtis Burkel, who added a layer of clearcoat to protect it. He did an old SX Mini for me and it came out pretty great.

In fact, I think that she-who-bought-it may still peak in here from time to time. If so, I'd be curious if it's still in decent shape. I loved the job when I got it back from him.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
My only good experience with it (not counting 2A stuff), was Curtis Burkel, who added a layer of clearcoat to protect it. He did an old SX Mini for me and it came out pretty great.

In fact, I think that she-who-bought-it may still peak in here from time to time. If so, I'd be curious if it's still in decent shape. I loved the job when I got it back from him.

Found it! I take WAY too may vape pics. :blink::blush:

20150612_203312.jpg

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
...Cerakote is good stuff if applied and baked properly...

And that hits the nail on the head squarely. A bare Billet box has lots of small internal right angles and crevices making it much harder to get the surface prepped properly and the powder applied properly. I've seen numerous Billets come up for sale after having a couple hundred dollars spent on a color change and ceracote from an independant shop. Every single one of them had at least a few chips on the corners or edges.

So, it could be a good thing. I hope they've kept their focus on quality and chosen a place that will do it right.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
And that hits the nail on the head squarely. A bare Billet box has lots of small internal right angles and crevices making it much harder to get the surface prepped properly and the powder applied properly. I've seen numerous Billets come up for sale after having a couple hundred dollars spent on a color change and ceracote from an independant shop. Every single one of them had at least a few chips on the corners or edges.

So, it could be a good thing. I hope they've kept their focus on quality and chosen a place that will do it right.

From what I read they (BBV) are doing it in house

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I always sort of wanted a white Billet. But 98% of the vape ceracoted stuff on the market is junk. That finish is somewhat scratch resistant, but chips so easily I'm afraid that in a short time even the most careful user will be looking at battle scars on his new mod.

I hope that they found a REALLY good place to get this done. I've seen a few things that are durable but it is not an easy task.
Mackman beat me to it, but BBV will be doing their own Cerakote process.

While I agree that a coated/painted device has its drawbacks, at least the Cerakote can take the brunt of a scratch, rather than the material it’s coating...which means less work when going through rehab.

But also, you GOTTA know that DD no can haz some ordinary Cerakote job on his boxes...no way.

I’m 100% positive he’s done the mad scientist thing again, and found someway to improve the ‘Koting process!

From what I read they (BBV) are doing it in house
You beat me to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread