The Dreaded Dry Cough At Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Q. So where does this damn dry scratchy cough from? It seems like whenever I go to bed in 5 or 10 minutes of laying down I get this weird dry cough. It's not a chest cough...it's a dry scratchy throat cough that goes on for like 20 minutes. I don't have it through the day, only after I lay down and go to bed. I regularly brush my teeth before going to bed and find myself coughing so much I bring a glass of ice water with me. I have even tried gargling extensively with mouthwash, but it doesn't go away it seems like it's even worse.

A. It's your toothpaste, specifically toothpaste which has Sorbitol or some other ingredient ending in "ol" which are sugar alcohol cousins of PG. Throat dryness is caused by the sugar alcohol that is PG, so when you brush your teeth it adds to the levels of sugar alcohol resulting in thoroughly drying out your throat which leads to the dreaded dry cough. Mouthwash is much much worse due to the high levels of denatured alcohol.

Review of Mouthwashes....List of Alcohol Free Mouthwashes
Best Mouthwash - Mouthwash Reviews - Mouthwash Without Alcohol - Natural Mouthwash

Q. So how do I remedy this and avoid the dreaded dry cough?

A. I started brushing my teeth 30 minutes before going to bed and switched to a alcohol free mouthwash....Guess what? No more dry scratchy throat...no more cough!

:thumbs:

Hope this was helpful.....:2cool:

(strange quoting myself...snowdragon feels weird about that)

Just wanted to add: After brushing my teeth 30 minutes prior to going to bed, I stop vaping and drink a large glass of ice water. As well, this morning I was talking to a dental hygienist who was telling my son the importance of brushing his teeth before going to bed. That the mouth doesn't produce as much Saliva when sleeping or laying down at rest. This seems to corroborate my theory of the origins of the dreaded dry cough.

biidaaban

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
MN
(strange quoting myself...snowdragon feels weird about that)

Just wanted to add: After brushing my teeth 30 minutes prior to going to bed, I stop vaping and drink a large glass of ice water. As well, this morning I was talking to a dental hygienist who was telling my son the importance of brushing his teeth before going to bed. That the mouth doesn't produce as much Saliva when sleeping or laying down at rest. This seems to corroborate my theory of the origins of the dreaded dry cough.
i developed a bad case of dry mouth thx to lame fibro scripts from lazy drs. it's permanent (yippie) so i can't tell you what this means to me... almost everything the drs. recommended, actually make it worse. i'm currently looking for sorbitol/sugar free mints will let you know if they help when i get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread