Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
You running a single coil?
How would you say it compares to your regular rotation rda's.
I am running dual fused Clapton in mine and yes flavor us awesome.
I'm running dual 24ga SS...2.5mm, spaced, 7 wraps each. It was the first build I threw in there and I can't find a reason to change it. I run mech squonkers...fast ramp up and cool down is important to me. This build works great. I stopped with the fancy wire awhile ago. I'll eventually put a single coil in there but I haven't tried yet.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I'm running dual 24ga SS...2.5mm, spaced, 7 wraps each. It was the first build I threw in there and I can't find a reason to change it. I run mech squonkers...fast ramp up and cool down is important to me. This build works great. I stopped with the fancy wire awhile ago. I'll eventually put a single coil in there but I haven't tried yet.

I run the exact same build in every rda I have in rotation. No fancy pants builds for me.

Unexist

Dec 23, 2015
Austria / STMK
I ordered a Drop on my own and hope it will arrive sometime next week. The only concern I have right now from what I've seen on youtube reviews, why hasn't the airflow adjustment been inverted?

The coils sit pretty high in this RDA and I don't get it why one would close the holes from top to bottom. As I am an engineer and have some basic knowledge about flow and aerodynamics this airflow adjustment makes no sense to me.

Bottom airflow is only effective when it is directed to the coils (like the Kennedy) to cool them properly and to avoid turbulence. With the Drop RDA the air is undergoing the coils by not cooling them. Only the two top rows of the Drop RDA are hitting the coils properly and benefit from the so called "Coanda effect" (-> the behaviour of air when hitting an object). So why do I only have the possibility to close the holes from top to bottom?

I think this is the greatest drawback on this RDA.
Recently a youtuber from Norway did some very interesting testings on coil placement on RDAs. Maybe after watching this video you know why I have this concerns.

P.S.: I am neither related or affiliated with this person, I just found him on youtube and he has just proven my theory.

Reactions: Letitia

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I ordered a Drop on my own and hope it will arrive sometime next week. The only concern I have right now from what I've seen on youtube reviews, why hasn't the airflow adjustment been inverted?

The coils sit pretty high in this RDA and I don't get it why one would close the holes from top to bottom. As I am an engineer and have some basic knowledge about flow and aerodynamics this airflow adjustment makes no sense to me.

Bottom airflow is only effective when it is directed to the coils (like the Kennedy) to cool them properly and to avoid turbulence. With the Drop RDA the air is undergoing the coils by not cooling them. Only the two top rows of the Drop RDA are hitting the coils properly and benefit from the so called "Coanda effect" (-> the behaviour of air when hitting an object). So why do I only have the possibility to close the holes from top to bottom?

Recently a youtuber from Norway did some very interesting testings on coil placement on RDAs. Maybe after watching this video you know why I have this concerns.

P.S.: I am neither related or affiliated with this person, I just found him on youtube and he has just proven my theory.

It works very well and flavor is awesome.
I have seen the above videos you referenced as well.
I imagine the airflow going straight in, colliding in the middle and then crossing the coils to evacuate.
Brian has recommended the coils tight in the center which forces the air around them.
When it is wicked well, the cotton fills the void between the opposing posts and reduces the chamber (in effect) and the flavor does just pop.
I would say reserve judgement until you have tried a build or 2.
Also as a last resort, a vape band can restrict the lower airflow holes.

Unexist

Dec 23, 2015
Austria / STMK
Thank you for your input. I will give it definately a try :) And the vape band is a really good idea!
I just hope it performs better as my DeadRabbit RDA which I cannot get wicked properly. As I am running my RDAs on series mech mods only, the airflow is very important for my builds and they need to get cooled directly. Indirect or misaligned airflow results in an instant dryhit.

Last edited:

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I'll second what Hightech Redneck said. I've got a Pulse 24, Dead Rabbit and find I get better flavor from the Drop. I have a single alien about Midway in the middle and shut off top airflow. No issues and it (to me) is smooth with great flavor.

Liked so much bought 2.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

If the airflow was inverted, it would look like a pecker instead of a T. Nautilus made that mistake awhile ago.
Side note....some of the worst attys are over engineered. I'm generally not a fan of these mass production attys that get traction due to a name on the side....but the drop works great. Great flavor, super smooth airflow, quiet and I've yet to make it leak by over squonking. He did a great job.
I've come to the conclusion after reading numerous threads over the years, that the #1 contributor to a lousy vape is over thinking.

Unexist

Dec 23, 2015
Austria / STMK
If the airflow was inverted, it would look like a pecker instead of a T. Nautilus made that mistake awhile ago.

No that's not what I was thinking of. You still have "T" shaped airholes but when spinning the topcap and adjusting the airflow, I would have liked to shut down first the holes at the bottom and work your way trough the top as you keep adjusting it. So you always have side airflow but can shut down the bottom airflow if wanted.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

@MortenOen is here on ECF and has a thread concerning this. Cannot remember thread title and my content is gone so no link. Interesting guy.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Tracking says I should be getting my Drop today. Fingers crossed.
Thinking the Drop may be on my christmas list. Wish they would come out with a solid silver. People using it with single coil are having positive results.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Thinking the Drop may be on my christmas list. Wish they would come out with a solid silver. People using it with single coil are having positive results.
Digiflavor announced colors coming soon.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Thank you for your input. I will give it definately a try :) And the vape band is a really good idea!
I just hope it performs better as my DeadRabbit RDA which I cannot get wicked properly. As I am running my RDAs on series mech mods only, the airflow is very important for my builds and they need to get cooled directly. Indirect or misaligned airflow results in an instant dryhit.

What issues are you having with wicking the Dead Rabbit? I find it one of the easiest and most forgiving RDA’s I have to build and wick. What have you tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread