The end of microcoils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Perhaps you could help me with my understanding of this article. I get that there is something in cigs (don't know if deliberately put there or not) that are MAO inhibithers and other substances present that do two things. The first being that nicoteen is prevented from being broken down and remains as nicoteen, the second is that the MAO inhibithers somehow prime the brain to become addicted to nicoteen. Did I read correctly that this change in rats is permanent? Also would it not stand to reason, considering we are dealing with altering the levels of neurotransmitters, and brain chemistry here, that some people might just be more naturally inclined to become addicted to nicotine?
This was actually discussed a lot in the still smoking thread in the pif section

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This was actually discussed a lot in the still smoking thread in the pif section

Cool thanks I'll check that out!

Edit: Wow, that thread was over 1700 pages and was continued to one that's now over 200!

Last edited:

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
.... Surely, if nicotine was so addictive, wouldn't it be harder to get?

I think, if cigarettes were introduced in the 21st century, they would be extremely difficult to get. But cigarettes have been around since, well, Sir Frances Drake brought some tobacco to Queen Elizabeth. The American Indians, the Aztecs and the Yucatan indians also smoked tobacco. And so 'socially acceptable' for centuries in many cultures. It's only in the last 40 years that the war on tobacco has been waged.

Reactions: catlady60

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Perhaps you could help me with my understanding of this article. I get that there is something in cigs (don't know if deliberately put there or not) that are MAO inhibithers and other substances present that do two things. The first being that nicoteen is prevented from being broken down and remains as nicoteen, the second is that the MAO inhibithers somehow prime the brain to become addicted to nicoteen. Did I read correctly that this change in rats is permanent? Also would it not stand to reason, considering we are dealing with altering the levels of neurotransmitters, and brain chemistry here, that some people might just be more naturally inclined to become addicted to nicotine?

I see you got some good direction already for more info, but what you wrote is basically right. My only disagreement is the "permanent" part. It may take a long, long time for certain axis in the brain to "recalibrate" but the brain is remarkably adaptable so I don't think I would go with permanent. For practical purposes with regard to addiction, it might as well be permanent because it can take so long that few can continue abstinence waiting for the "recalibration."

Reactions: Ryedan

Coiso

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2011
Portugal
Hey guys, just posted something i think is very important about panic.
I wrote it on our portuguese forum and i won't even bother to translate it, so google tradutor it is with a diagonal eye pass to look for errors. So excuse me if it has something hard to understand, we know google translate is the "best". ;)

And it's not to say i'm am right, and that guy is wrong, and that we shouldn't have any concerns but, it's just a long thought.

I think the guys are mixing too many things. In France analyzes were made to the juices of a brand and contained heavy metals, probably from the metal barrels where came the PG, some dented, rusted other outside (and possibly inside).

The Farsalinos always mentioned that one has to improve the quality control of liquids, the main reason I do DIY, and the material that is used, Chinese tanks etc. Attys that bring rusty washers or brass in contact with the liquid as some attys I've seen around with poles in brass. All this can contaminate an e-liquid and result in particles and heavy metals in small amounts in steam.

This controversy of hexevalent chromium has appeared makes a 2 or 3 years when a user of the ECF paid $ 5k 3 test each one to see what it was that black powder forming on the metal mesh of genesis. The genesis attys were the hype of the pros, and who did not use genesis was unaware of steam, and bam, today there is almost no one using genesis because of this controversy.

At the time it reached the conclusion that heating the kind of metal, stainless steel supposedly between 600 and 700ºC formed such that hexevalent chromium VI which is carcinogenic. Few studies have been done after that.

I know kanthal is made up of iron, aluminum and chromium, know that the nichrome and nickel more chromium. It will be the chromium heated to these temperatures that creates that? then why this has been tested and found in metallic stainless steel mesh that had to oxidize not to be conductive?

They realize where I say that there is here one big mix of opinions and each throws his set to air?

I still do dry burn in my coils, obviously to clean and without abuse to be as hot as the wire breaks. Just reach a 400 ° C to turn orange and clear that it has, then go through water, pass it a scarf to clean it, step by water, and see if everything is okay. If it is, ok, clean, the vape as new, i vape and sleep rested.

Again I will not panicate with this situation, I realize why the advice but I think we are hypochondriacs, and we base ourselves on opinions and not facts.

To us basing on facts you need to make up studies and tests, and these are very expensive.
If the SS was proven how such black dust that is bad, but that did not prove that there was indeed passage this mesh powder to the coil for steam and our lungs, no one has proven anything at all like that in the coils and we come here to say that we think, based on wisdom x, and I'm much good at it and all so, realize, is just that, opinions.

If you want to be safe as they see fit, avoid this or that or nothing of it, but do not enter is a mass hysteria because kantha have become a green monster that kills everything if we make it a dry burn. If this is established, it is with facts.

Also a juice or very Ry4 or VG in two days kills a coil, is full of burnt sugars that do not turn into steam so it forms "coal" in the coil, and prime 15 i can vape 30 or 60ml if you have virtually no vg as the halo seems to do, have got to use a coil for a month, got a peek and the wick was almost transparent bright white, with the coil as new.

Is not linear, it is not a + b = c. We need to know if the black powder is sugar caramel not turned into steam, or is chromium VI hexevalent, or if dust of our living room. Or if we're all just getting dumb because farsalinos and tiko said something that may or may not be.

This is my opinion about it, and in this matter while no studies, and evidence, I have no more interest. Not now that tested the e-cig on the other, and has iron.

But ancient tests tested ce4s the beginning and cartos, which never took one dry burn, and had metal particles ... HEY ... may even be liquid. Or discover the reasons or we are here in the land of opinion basically.

A hug and good Vapors everyone.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
I wrote it on our portuguese forum and i won't even bother to translate it, so google tradutor it is with a diagonal eye pass to look for errors. So excuse me if it has something hard to understand, we know google translate is the "best". ;)

And it's not to say i'm am right, and that guy is wrong, and that we shouldn't have any concerns but, it's just a long thought.
I agree with you!!!
Duane

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal

Hey 'thing', you could have posted the Portuguese version and I would have translate it.

I think the main did get pass through nevertheless :)

Regards from the algarve ;)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California

from the translation, "Also a juice or very Ry4 or VG in two days kills a coil, is full of burnt sugars that do not turn into steam so it forms "coal" in the coil".

PG and VG are both sugar alcohols so if one is 'burnt sugar' surely the other would be also? I've vaped VG (tobacco/menthol mix) almost exclusively for years, along with pineapple and cola here and there, and I've never experienced 'burnt sugars' or 'coal' coils with any of them (does 'coal' imply organic based?) I have coils/atomizers that last well over a month. I'm a tootle puffer who uses stock coils so I'm not hitting high watts or low ohms, but I couldn't tell you what temp the coils are heating to any more than I could tell you what temp a first generation atomizer heated to. If the range that chromium is formed off stainless is 600-700C as mentioned in the translation, with temp control mods coming out with a 400-600F range, I don't see what the problem is unless coil builders have actually been hitting in excess of 600C. Are they?

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Just watched Phil Busardo's review of the Kanger Subox Mini. He acknowledged Dr. F's warning about dry burning, but said that until there is more data, he intends to continue dry burning his coils.

Would it be considered rude to ask you to post Dr. Busardo's credentials here? :pervy:

Reactions: zoiDman

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
When it comes to metallurgy, I believe that Dr. B and Dr. F have exactly the same credentials.

I am sure glad to see some folks challenge some of these folks that claim to be experts. But I'll defend Busardo in this case of torching wire because he qualified his comments with "until there is more evidence". I have said it before and will say it again I don't trust a Cardiologist that claim to be biologist,chemist and a metallurgist. :2c:

Reactions: Mad Scientist

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
When it comes to metallurgy, I believe that Dr. B and Dr. F have exactly the same credentials.

I haven't seen Any Credentials from Anyone. Be it Researcher. Or Reviewer. Or ECF Member.

So I guess I will have to wait until someone Publishes a Study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread