Status
Not open for further replies.

misswish1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
NM
No one has said that ecigs are 100% safe. The chief quote from certain medical people is that they are 95% safer than smoking.

PG is in a lot of products we eat or rub on our skin.

Propylene Glycol in Food: Is This Additive Safe?

Propylene glycol food list

Propylene glycol is commonly found in many packaged foods, such as drink mixes, dressings, dried soups, cake mix, soft drinks, popcorn, food coloring, fast foods, bread and dairy products ( 6 ). It is also used in injectable medications, like lorazepam, and in some creams and ointments that are applied to the skin,...

I just want to add - PG is also in most medical inhalers. For those that want to nit-pick about how it's consumed.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I just want to add - PG is also in most medical inhalers. For those that want to nit-pick about how it's consumed.
Yes, it was used in the 40's in hospital hvac systems, and was studied for a long time. The fact that it's been inhaled for decades without issue is the more important point. We've recently been reminded of this, given that vitamin E acetate is safe and even beneficial applied to the skin, but killing people when inhaled. This makes it kind of hard to say PG is safe simply because it's okay to rub it on the skin.

So I agree with you, except comparing method of delivery is not exactly nitpicking, since there are many things that don't harm you on the skin, but do when inhaled. And many substances undergo chemical changes when heated to the point of vaporization.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
So I agree with you, except comparing method of delivery is not exactly nitpicking, since there are many things that don't harm you on the skin, but do when inhaled.
Agree. Try swallowing a exfoliating brush and see what happens. Wont be pretty.

Reactions: hittman

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Agree. Try swallowing a exfoliating brush and see what happens. Wont be pretty.

Well - If Ya' remember to turn it on before you sallow . . . At least Ya' "innards" should all be cleaned out - finally . . . :facepalm:

I KNOW - I KNOW - "My" Bad . . . Just couldn't resist . . . ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well - If Ya' remember to turn it on before you sallow . . . At least Ya' "innards" should all be cleaned out - finally . . . :facepalm:

I KNOW - I KNOW - "My" Bad . . . Just couldn't resist . . . ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The peanut gallery has spoken!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I kind of wish we could like get a doomsday clock on the site somewhere, ticking down the seconds.

Only there is so much crud going on NOW who KNOWS if it will be accurate. And accuracy is IMPORTANT in a doomsday clock you look like such a false prophet if you get it wrong.

We can't be HAVING that. Then you look like some sort of dopey IDK cult or something.

Actually it is something of a fair analogy. People ARE going to die over this no matter what time it is.

Anna

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
I kind of wish we could like get a doomsday clock on the site somewhere, ticking down the seconds.

Only there is so much crud going on NOW who KNOWS if it will be accurate. And accuracy is IMPORTANT in a doomsday clock you look like such a false prophet if you get it wrong.

We can't be HAVING that. Then you look like some sort of dopey IDK cult or something.

Actually it is something of a fair analogy. People ARE going to die over this no matter what time it is.

Anna
There is one floating around that I made. A couple have link in their sigs as FDA D-Day. But I can't link just now on tapatalk

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia

Anna
FDA D-DAY

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I think we've known for a while that some flavorings are questionable.

True, but as you have often pointed out, what about "harm relative to cigarettes"?
Not sure which flavorings. I've heard cinnamon is rather nasty. Mints and menthol?? Others?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know, asthmatics are TOTALLLY free to smoke and vape, right? It's not a CRIME? I had mild asthma as a kid, there was not some sudden "inner me" that was like, NO! NOT SMOKING! I HAD ASTHMA!

Just as type 2 diabetics are totally free to ingest ALL the cake they want,.

I don't think anything is 100% safe and actually if correct that study may be useful-- BUT really more for asthmatics who are in a stage in their life where the care about their lungs. It's actually USEFUL information and it will be presented as "vaping is bad."

No one EVER EVER EVER said vaping was 100% "good."

Anna

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Butters and creams at one time contained diacetyl.
Having probed this on Fran's thread pretty much everyone says they lost their punch after the diacetyl was removed. Most stay with the original citing the levels are minute. AND, as has been mentioned recently, keeping it in the context of cigarette smoking.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
It's good that there are choices for those who have no problem with diacetyl and those who don't want it. My main vape is mint/menthol so I'm taking a different undetermined risk.

I'm wondering more about my nic level and it's cardiovascular effects in the long run as I age than flavor. I'm not a perfect specimen any more. :D

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I'm wondering more about my nic level and it's cardiovascular effects in the long run as I age than flavor. I'm not a perfect specimen any more. :D
Yes, but if you don't use nic to ward off declining mental faculties, you might not even know if you're a perfect specimen or not. ;)

Seriously, I haven't devoted the time to researching the long term cv effects to decide how concerned I need to be yet. It's on my to do list, even though I'm still a perfect specimen...of something, anyway. Not sure what, but my wife could tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread