The Final Count Down -- Are You Ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
That sounds like teflon tape.
That's the last thing i would think about using for nic... that goes on the threads and I would worry about contamination from screwing on and off the cap and the nic dissolving the teflon.... I posted a link to the self fusing silicone tape a few posts before you asked this question. Self-fusing silicone tape seals the outside of the cap to the glass bottle making it airtight.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I have many glass boston rounds with polycone caps in a small dedicated freezer. I have had quite a few in the freezer since 2014. I have yet to have any of them leak. Nonetheless, as insurance I put them inside a shoebox tote to catch anything that might leak. Never bothered with any kind of tape or additional seal. Never had a leak yet.....

20160527_165827_zpsjhrwc8vg.jpg

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Teflon plumbers (used outside the bottle/cap) tape and electrical tape work great for ensuring the cap stays on.
    Is it necessary? Probably not, the sealing is supposed to be at the poly cone liner, not outside the cap.
    I'm using 6 year old nic that was sealed with Teflon and some with electrical tape, when removed the caps are still tight and sealed.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I have many glass boston rounds with polycone caps in a small dedicated freezer. I have had quite a few in the freezer since 2014. I have yet to have any of them leak. Nonetheless, as insurance I put them inside a shoebox tote to catch anything that might leak. Never bothered with any kind of tape or additional seal. Never had a leak yet.....

It does seem the tape around the cap/bottle is a bit overkill.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2010
    Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
    Having the silicone tape will add a bit more formality, "class", when opening a bottle of 2019 nic in 2044.

"Ahh, yes, '19 vintage Heartland Vapes. Note how it retains the same subtle bouquet as the year it was bottled."

[emoji3]

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Having the silicone tape will add a bit more formality, "class", when opening a bottle of 2019 nic in 2044.

"Ahh, yes, '19 vintage Heartland Vapes. Note how it retains the same subtle bouquet as the year it was bottled."

[emoji3]
    By 2044 I will be constantly adjusting my dentures, wearing a bib at the dinner table, and passing gas uncontrollably. I suspect any thought of class will be of low priority then.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL

I wasn't really worried about liquid leaking when I silicone taped mine. I was worried about air.

I topped off each bottle with argon gas and was worried about the argon gas eventually leaking out and oxygen being introduced. The self fusing silicone tape in combination with a ploy cone cap handled any concern that I had.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    I wasn't really worried about liquid leaking when I silicone taped mine. I was worried about air.

I topped off each bottle with argon gas and was worried about the argon gas eventually leaking out and oxygen being introduced. The self fusing silicone tape in combination with a ploy cone cap handled any concern that I had.
    Boston Rounds with polycone caps, filled with minimal air space, and stored at Zero degrees F have kept my 2014 vintage very clear.

Eventually I think you can hit the point of diminishing return with packaging.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    By 2044 I will be constantly adjusting my dentures, wearing a bib at the dinner table, and passing gas uncontrollably. I suspect any thought of class will be of low priority then.

What do Ya' mean by "then" . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

Oh Yea - in the year 2044, I'll be way to old to even care, especially since I probably will be dead by then given the way things are going now . . . :unsure:

Wow1420

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Somewhere out there
    Yeah, I think the state-level bans and Trump's posturing were a real wake-up call for people. Having been ready since 2016, it's amusing to watch the frenzy. Even some people who said they were ready in 2016 are engaged in it. I suppose they're using it as an excuse for shinyitis, something I've developed an immunity to.

You talking about me?

I thought I was ready in 2017. And I didn't spend anything at all on vaping from fall 2017 until last week. Nothing, nada, zilch.

But, I decided to re-evaluate what "ready" means to me. 2 years ago, I was content with the idea that when my "nice" stuff ran out, I could go back to dripping my old mechs and/or vivi nova's on a home made battery box. (Like that altoids mode someone posted up thread. )

I was having trouble with my kbox mini last week, and I realized how lost I'd be without it now. So a mad dash ensued to upgrade my stash. I'm feeling better with the orders placed over the weekend, including 2l from Heartland, but I'm not done yet.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    Boston Rounds with polycone caps, filled with minimal air space, and stored at Zero degrees F have kept my 2014 vintage very clear.

That's only 5-6 years... I keep my working liter out at room temp for 14 months, and my reserve in the freezer, but with the argon gas and silicone tape I was being paranoid about 20-30 years. lol

Boudica

ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2013
    Auckland. New Zealand

Sounds pretty good to me!
    Hey mate could you PM me please. Im a good friend of Bill and Bobs. 21years.
    Stopped going to see them recently because not adhering to the PRIMARY PURPORSE. My dad made friends with B&B over 50yrs ago and brought it to New Zealand 1950 I think.Started many, many, still thriving mtgs in mint condition Could help a few folk I reckon, pass it on. BTY I vape tons, drink killer shots coffee, all good. My primary purpose is very simple.....dont drink!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @puffon - I'm SO glad you posted what you did on page 152, about what "phenolic" really refers to (as in plastic caps) and that the polycone liner is not phenolic, nor what phenolic means. I was catching up from p. 149 to now...and I was frustrated that I couldn't jump right in the middle of a bunch of those posts, to post it. I could stop muttering some choice words at my screen though, and just relax, after I saw your post. I did say a very audible "Yes!", too, at that moment. Thanks! :thumbs:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    There is 1 thing I didn't see anyone mention back on those pages, about another advantage of using the caps with polycone liners. As the cap is screwed onto the bottle...the polycone itself displaces most of the air in the neck of the bottle, if it's been filled up to allow just enough room for the cone to go in, but not enough to push any nic base out. It leaves the least amount of air trapped in the bottle, compared to any other type of cap, IMO.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013

IMHO, honey colored nic (of any strength) has not been stored well. Nic starts out almost water clear, any coloration is due to oxidation which mostly comes from heat and/or O2. What many of these companies are selling right now is opportunistic and damn near criminal. I hope that DIY survives, for many reasons, and if it does the companies selling this crap need to be boycotted.

To demonstrate my point. This is my 2014 nic, stored as mentioned above. I would expect a professional supplier to meet even higher standards. I took this pic tonight.

Even our own Dr Kurt (PhD in chemistry) said "Well-sealed glass + a little headspace + freezer = done.", no need to use gas for the headroom or hermetic sealing of the outer bottle.

Now keep in mind that there is also a well known phenomena that the stronger the nic, the faster it will oxidize and turn color given identical exposure to light, heat, and oxygen. I.e 250mg nic will turn color a lot faster than 100mg nic under identical conditions.

This nic is 10 times stronger than your typical 100mg nic, and it turns color quite fast if not stored well. This is undiluted, however when I dilute this to 100mg there is no noticeable color at all.
    You be the judge if my packaging was sufficient...

upload_2020-1-24_22-19-55.png

Last edited:

G and C

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2014
    California
    There's a lot of knowledge in this room on nic storage, and I appreciate the opportunity to learn from it.

Back when I first started DIY, I bottled my nic into 4oz. amber polycone capped bottles, but only with 100ml in each of them. Not sure why I did it that way, but I did. It's been almost four years now, and even though there's quite a bit of head space in there, I don't see much if any discoloration of the nic itself when I take a new bottle out to use it. It's consistently stored at -10F, in the amber bottles, in a cardboard box, in the freezer.

The newer stuff I've purchased for the long haul is all bottled and stored the same way, only now it has as little headspace as possible. I'm feeling better about that stuff lasting me 20-30 years as I've budgeted for.

I do tend to wrap caps of full bottles with white electrical tape. It's easy to write on and let's me know that I've never opened that bottle for anything. I think it might just make me feel better about the storage process, however misguided that may be.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread