Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
not to contradict anyone else's line of thought... this is from my own personal experience ... but I find that the flavors don't seem to be the cause of the "ickiness" after some aging.

The reason that I think this is because all the recipes I make on a regular/semi-regular basis are made from fairly large (120ml) flavor-only batches for me - banana creme, melona, Twinkie, starburst, green Apple, Apple Jacks. These sit for months at a time, sometimes, with no noticeable degradation in flavor when I whip up a fresh batch.

Thus I can only conclude that the particular flavors I use aren't the culprit and any degradation begins when the flavor recipe is mixed with vg, pg, or nic.

just my 2¢

You could be right of course but I have a feeling it could also be some, though not all flavours. For instance, a juice I make with dragonfruit and creams turns quite flat after some time. But then another which I make with english toffee and menthol has greatly improved over several weeks.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Updated lassi notes/discussion

First time I've noticed equipment issues, testing on zmax was giving me a weird burn taste even at low voltage, same kfl+ same wicking, on istick 30, big taste differences much nicer...

Greek yogurt/horchata smooth: nah, too much horchata tastes...Ok but not what aiming for
Greek yogurt/malted milk: closer but something not exactly jiving together well to my liking
Greek yogurt/vanilla swirl: very sweet, swirl seems to dominate...Will give try with fruit to see
Greek yogurt/cap sweet cream: seems best candidate so far, will add fruit and see how interacts, gives me yogurt twang but not too sour, seems balanced, not too sweet

Equipment has played a role in tasting more so than I noticed before, maybe my zmax is fritzing out??? From now on, testing on smoother output device to avoid off tastes...weird I got such a difference but...yeah.
:pop:I am following along......

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
You may be right... I am trying to nail down what's been happening with a few of my juices (NOT all of them) when they're aged more than a month or so... it may be one or two particular flavors, or a blend of two particular flavors... still suspicious of the VBIC though... but it will likely take me a lot of trial and error to figure it out, if I ever do... :(
hmm... I used to use VBIC in my Melona but have since modified the recipe so I can't say that I can give much feedback there. It seems VBIC isn't required in any of the "standard rotation"mixes. Will have to keep an eye out when trying out new recipes. I need another couple of mixes to add to the rotation.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
My house is chaotic now with remodelling and I can't even get to my mixing table, where my notebook is. But I can get to my calculator, and these "mixes gone bad" all have VBIC and Organic Vanilla Cream by NF (I just now realized this was in them all!) I need my notebook to confirm though, since I sometimes change the recipe spur of the moment. I promise I'll post back when I find out, because I really wanna know if I have a flavor that doesn't behave well with age, or that doesn't mix well with another flavor, or if I have completely lost my mind. Probably the latter. LOL

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
My house is chaotic now with remodelling and I can't even get to my mixing table, where my notebook is. But I can get to my calculator, and these "mixes gone bad" all have VBIC and Organic Vanilla Cream by NF (I just now realized this was in them all!) I need my notebook to confirm though, since I sometimes change the recipe spur of the moment. I promise I'll post back when I find out, because I really wanna know if I have a flavor that doesn't behave well with age, or that doesn't mix well with another flavor, or if I have completely lost my mind. Probably the latter. LOL

I just stick with Vanilla Swirl; it's good no matter what I put it in. And no diketones! :thumb: :D

Andria

Reactions: Kenna

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well, I've placed my first order for flavors! I got everything to try for a blueberry & a blackberry cream except the blueberry extra & bilberry. They were out of the small size of blueberry extra & didn't have the bilberry. Didn't want to pay shipping to go to another site just for 1 or 2 flavors, so they'll have to wait till next month. I got the small sizes of everything just in case they aren't right for what I'm wanting. We shall see!

You may be right... I am trying to nail down what's been happening with a few of my juices (NOT all of them) when they're aged more than a month or so... it may be one or two particular flavors, or a blend of two particular flavors... still suspicious of the VBIC though... but it will likely take me a lot of trial and error to figure it out, if I ever do... :(

Ethyl Maltol mellow the e liquids flavor after a few weeks try to not use it at more than 0.5%

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Ethyl Maltol mellow the e liquids flavor after a few weeks try to not use it at more than 0.5%
yeah when I first started mixing, a lot of recipes had EM and I followed the recipes to a T. Now I tend to leave it out, and it's not in the ones I'm having trouble with. I initially bought a 4 oz bottle of Cotton Candy (which I understand IS EM)... now that I rarely use EM, this bottle will last me a few lifetimes LOL

I'm now more suspicious of the combination of VBIC and Organic Vanilla Cream, or maybe it's just the Organic Vanilla Cream. I rarely use that Cream but it's in every one of the recipes that have "gone bad" on me - could it have some real *dairy* in it, which could go bad? Dunno. But I'm frustrated and I want to quit wasting juice.

Reactions: Kenna

satchvai

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2015
Off the grid
yeah when I first started mixing, a lot of recipes had EM and I followed the recipes to a T. Now I tend to leave it out, and it's not in the ones I'm having trouble with. I initially bought a 4 oz bottle of Cotton Candy (which I understand IS EM)... now that I rarely use EM, this bottle will last me a few lifetimes LOL

I'm now more suspicious of the combination of VBIC and Organic Vanilla Cream, or maybe it's just the Organic Vanilla Cream. I rarely use that Cream but it's in every one of the recipes that have "gone bad" on me - could it have some real *dairy* in it, which could go bad? Dunno. But I'm frustrated and I want to quit wasting juice.
Just curious, and maybe this has been brought up before but missed it in the 514 pages, have you tried adding a drop of 10% citric acid per 5-10mls for those juices?

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I got some vanillin on my last order. I've been meaning to try to use it in place of sweetener in a recipe to see how it does.
It should definitely work good as a sweetener.I had a small bottle for months before i finally tried it.I found an Ry4 recipe that used vanillin,and it sounded really good,i forget what the % was,but it is very sweet in that recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread