Not open for further replies.

FlyingV

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2010
Verified Witchdoctor - In a Hut
Thank you. :)
Not exactly sure but it is reasonably light. Not as light as an lcp or any of those super small pocket pistols but maybe a hair lighter than a s&w shield. I wear it in an IWB holster (similar to a crossbreed) and forget its even there really.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
Speaking of Annie Oakley..She was raised in Ohio and started shooting at a really young age.She hunted and would bring game up to Cincinnati and sell it.Her real name is Phoebe Ann Moses.She would get into shootin matches while there.She took her last name from a Cincinnati Suburb...... Oakley.....I am a walkin encyclopedia of useless knowledge.

FlyingV

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2010
Verified Witchdoctor - In a Hut
I like that about you.
19.97 ounces unloaded
Because I like to google things

Sent from Sorryville
And I like that about you!
Speaking of Annie Oakley..She was raised in Ohio and started shooting at a really young age.She hunted and would bring game up to Cincinnati and sell it.Her real name is Phoebe Ann Moses.She would get into shootin matches while there.She took her last name from a Cincinnati Suburb...... Oakley.....I am a walkin encyclopedia of useless knowledge.

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
I like those too.Do they come with a pearl handle?

You can put pearl grips on the 1911 - the bottom pistol. But it's not a beginner pistol - Not saying you're a beginner. I don't know your firearm knowledge and experience. Also consider that cheap 1911s tend to either be crap quality or put together in the Philippines by child sweatshop labor (looking at you, RIA). 100% serious on the latter.

A good 1911 will cost at least $900. Remington R1. But they've been known to have issues. Huh... so why am I saying it's 'good'? :laugh:

So that leaves you with $1,000 pistol.

A 1911 can be a .....y mistress. You need to clean them often. A good one can go through a 3 day training course with 2k rounds shot during the course, but it will be sluggish and will probably start to have issues before 1,000 rounds.

After a certain amount of shooting they need to be tuned. Mostly the extractor and ejector. Sometimes the recoil spring needs to be replaced. A Glock/XD/M&P it is not.

That said, I love my 1911s. They are THE most fun to shoot, mostly because of how nice the triggers are and their accuracy. The 1911 is an easy gun to shoot. But they can be expensive to shoot, because they traditionally are chambered in .45ACP, which is an expensive round. Especially right now. Although some are chambered in 9mm, 10mm and 40S&W. They can be more unreliable when it's not .45ACP, though. When you change anything about a 1911, like size, chamber, external extractor, they can be less reliable. Browning designed them a certain way, which worked perfectly. Some updates have been ok, though. I don't mind external extractors. Being a 'smith, it's easier to remove and replace an external.

They are a PITA to carry because they're big and heavy. Even my Springfield EMP (sub-compact sized 9mm 1911) was tough, but doable. I didn't forget it was there like I do with my Glock sub compact/XD sub compact/XDS/Shield/P938. Sig P938 is great to carry, but not a 1911. Although it looks similar.

I'm not saying don't get a 1911. They're awesome guns. But do your homework. Watch youtube vids on field stripping and cleaning 1911s. It's WAY different than a tilting barrel design (also a browning design). If you do decide to get one and can't decide which, PM me and I can give you a pros and cons of each. I'm most impressed by Sig, though, for a non custom gun. Or if you can spend some money Wilson Combat. But you'll be waiting ~6 months.

Last edited:

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
I will do that. I would really like to get a good conceal carry first...I'm going to a basic class on handling, loading,and safety..I am a novice but I think it's important to have a gun and to respect it. After a few more classes I'm taking my conceal class.I saw that you recommended the G26.I think I might opt for that for my conceal...Then I'm going to buy something pretty..with pearl handles. I've learned a lot from you. I have trouble with remembering numbers so I copied and pasted your recommendations onto a document that I can print out and take with me when I go gun hunting.We found a fabulous little shooting range waaaaay out in the country.It had the best stuff.I hope to get back there later this month.Thanks again for the Info..

You can put pearl grips on the 1911 - the bottom pistol. But it's not a beginner pistol - Not saying you're a beginner. I don't know your firearm knowledge and experience. Also consider that cheap 1911s tend to either be crap quality or put together in the Philippines by child sweatshop labor (looking at you, RIA). 100% serious on the latter.

A good 1911 will cost at least $900. Remington R1. But they've been known to have issues. Huh... so why am I saying it's 'good'? :laugh:

So that leaves you with $1,000 pistol.

A 1911 can be a .....y mistress. You need to clean them often. A good one can go through a 3 day training course with 2k rounds shot during the course, but it will be sluggish and will probably start to have issues before 1,000 rounds.

After a certain amount of shooting they need to be tuned. Mostly the extractor and ejector. Sometimes the recoil spring needs to be replaced. A Glock/XD/M&P it is not.

That said, I love my 1911s. They are THE most fun to shoot, mostly because of how nice the triggers are and their accuracy. The 1911 is an easy gun to shoot. But they can be expensive to shoot, because they traditionally are chambered in .45ACP, which is an expensive round. Especially right now. Although some are chambered in 9mm, 10mm and 40S&W. They can be more unreliable when it's not .45ACP, though. When you change anything about a 1911, like size, chamber, external extractor, they can be less reliable. Browning designed them a certain way, which worked perfectly. Some updates have been ok, though. I don't mind external extractors. Being a 'smith, it's easier to remove and replace an external.

They are a PITA to carry because they're big and heavy. Even my Springfield EMP (sub-compact sized 9mm 1911) was tough, but doable. I didn't forget it was there like I do with my Glock sub compact/XD sub compact/XDS/Shield/P938. Sig P938 is great to carry, but not a 1911. Although it looks similar.

I'm not saying don't get a 1911. They're awesome guns. But do your homework. Watch youtube vids on field stripping and cleaning 1911s. It's WAY different than a tilting barrel design (also a browning design). If you do decide to get one and can't decide which, PM me and I can give you a pros and cons of each. I'm most impressed by Sig, though, for a non custom gun. Or if you can spend some money Wilson Combat. But you'll be waiting ~6 months.

Jdsgibson

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
Sorryville
So, RIAs are put together with sweat shop labor? Learn something new every day. On a side note, a Ruger sr1911 can be had for $650 or less and is a fantastic pistol. Many would argue that it's better than some pistols that cost twice as much.

If you can find one, sigh......

Sent from Sorryville

Jdsgibson

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
Sorryville
I will do that. I would really like to get a good conceal carry first...I'm going to a basic class on handling, loading,and safety..I am a novice but I think it's important to have a gun and to respect it. After a few more classes I'm taking my conceal class.I saw that you recommended the G26.I think I might opt for that for my conceal...Then I'm going to buy something pretty..with pearl handles. I've learned a lot from you. I have trouble with remembering numbers so I copied and pasted your recommendations onto a document that I can print out and take with me when I go gun hunting.We found a fabulous little shooting range waaaaay out in the country.It had the best stuff.I hope to get back there later this month.Thanks again for the Info..

Stretchy, if you want a glock g26 then by all means get one. But I think you'll find the kahr k9 to be a great little concealed carry gun.

Sent from Sorryville

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.

Cool! Glad I can be of help.

So, RIAs are put together with sweat shop labor? Learn something new every day. On a side note, a Ruger sr1911 can be had for $650 or less and is a fantastic pistol. Many would argue that it's better than some pistols that cost twice as much.

Unfortunately yes about RIA. They are good pistols, though. Although the triggers are pretty bad. But that's easy to fix with a quality trigger job.

The SR1911 is a good 1911. I personally don't like Ruger, though. It's an irrational dislike. Just not a fan of their offerings, besides some revolvers and maybe an SR1911. I've taken a few apart and you can see where they're cutting corners to keep them in their price range. Nothing that will effect the function. Well, depending on where machine marks and burs are left, it could. Although I've seen one with a dangerous sear angle. It won't go boom by itself thanks to the firing pin safety. But it shouldn't be. I sent it back to Ruger on behalf of my customer for them to evaluate it. They put a new FCG (fire control group- trigger, sear, hammer and disconnector) in. Don't know if any others where like that. I'd imagine so, though.

I'd just rather have something else than a Ruger. Just me, though.

Last edited:

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
If you can find one, sigh......

Sent from Sorryville

This.

Stretchy, if you want a glock g26 then by all means get one. But I think you'll find the kahr k9 to be a great little concealed carry gun.

Sent from Sorryville

I vote Glock, Springfield XDS or S&W M&P Shield. The trigger pull on the Kahr is not novice friendly. It's a mile long with not much to 'fix'.

Jdsgibson

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
Sorryville
This.

I vote Glock, Springfield XDS or S&W M&P Shield. The trigger pull on the Kahr is not novice friendly. It's a mile long with not much to 'fix'.

Its longish but smooth. Theres no take up. I love mine and the wife does too with her small hands. I had the g26 and the kahr both out when I bought it. I went with the kahr and haven't been disappointed.

Sent from Sorryville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread