The NEW JBOX from JBoxshop.com - my First Impressions : Entire reading suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Well, its been a while since I posted any sort of “review” on any vaping devices. I think my last was: “DARWIN!! From EVOLVAPOR.COM – My Overview and First Impressions – Newest PRE-Production Prototype” back on 1-10-11.

We all know EVERYTHING about vaping is 100% subjective and those who know me know I greatly prefer Power Regulated (variable/adjustable WATTS) in all my vaping devices. The only USA manufacturer of Power Regulated technology is Evolv I know the nivel chip is sort of available but they are so rare (possibly less than 20 total currently in the USA), manufactured and supported in/from Russia (thus purchase and any warranty issues require shipping to/from Russia) and nivel is also about twice the price of the Evolv DNA Power Regulated board. Granted, nivel has a few more features (useful?) but the circa 1970s TIMEX red led display (only displays one readout at a time) and the expansive multiplicity list of clicks (necessitated by the one button menu structure) is enough to frustrate even a techy-tinkerer. These are my first impressions of the JBOX from Jbox Shop | Beautiful Custom Wood Devices and this device uses the Evolv DNA board, lets leave the nivel to those experimenting with that board.

So, grab a vape and a cuppa and lets get into the JBox.

EDIT: I bought and paid for this device.

The JBox is a brand new release from JBoxshop. For those who may not already know him, Jason is a member of the VapeTeam - as seen on Wednesday nights at 9:30 PM eastern here: VP Live Vape Team | Vapers Place ) and Jason is also a member of the production team on We Are Vapers documentary film project: We Are Vapers | An Exploration into the World of Harm Reduction | We Are Vapers Jason is a knowledgeable and experienced vaper, modder and, as it turns out, he is also an extremely gifted craftsman. The JBox is really an “Objet d’Art” and an awesome APV as well!

When you look on the Jbox Shop | Beautiful Custom Wood Devices website, you see there are MANY woods to choose from. You choose the wood for the JBox front and back (largest panels), the sides/edges, and you can also – if you want it – choose an inlay or two (many to choose from). Prices vary, depending on your choices, from $250 for the lowest priced woods with no in-lay to $310 for the highest priced woods with in-lays. The JBox uses double sealed native 510 connector.

According to the website, you have to plan for 21 days build-out of your CUSTOM JBox creation (build time may vary up/down depending on Jason’s work/order load). I know this sounds like a long time but these are all hand made and finished with 20 coats of finish – providing a glass-like finish unsurpassed on any other wood PV I have ever seen = truly elegant. The coats of finish each require “cure” time and this fine finish is certainly worth the wait! Jason showed me how he “juice-tests” his finish and I could see the juice just bead up and roll right off the finish leaving it unmarked = impressive (as other finishes can be sensitive to juice).

For my JBox (pictured below), I chose the Birdseye Maple for the front and back, the African Blackwood for the edges and a single Redwood diamond pattern ¼” inlay. Due to the fine finish and the nature of the Birdseye, this wood takes on sort of an iridescent appearance that seems to change as you rock it back and forth (sort of like those holograms seen on some credit cards):

IMAG0257.jpg

JBox measures 3.25” tall, 1.75” wide and 1” thick. This size fits the hand with ergonomic comfort – regardless if you have large or small hands.

IMAG0263.jpg

Hidden within this “Objet d’Art” is the Evolv DNA Power Regulated microprocessor that is adjustable from 5 thru 12 watts (potentiometer adjustment), the Panasonic 2200 mah High Drain Battery, Evolv’s “smart charge” charging chip (with micro USB charge port) and a red/green charging status indicator.

For any who may not yet be familiar with the Evolv DNA board, it is essentially a newer version of the same technology Evolv puts into the Darwin and operates similarly to the Evolv Kick (5 thru 10 watts range drop-in module). Users choose a watts level (expressed in vaping as heat), the DNA board reads the atty/carto Ohms and automatically adjusts the volts and amps (hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times each second) to maintain the user chosen watts level (heat in vaping) to provide most consistent vape experience obtainable. There are now literally thousands of Evolv’s Darwins and Evolv Kicks on the market and many threads to read more about this technology.

The Evolv DNA board boosts and Regulates Power, using the technology in the microprocessor, and this boost requires additional amps to function. Thus, the High Drain battery is a necessity and listed as a requirement on the Evolv website. Jason has chosen the Panasonic 2200 mah High Drain battery which easily lasts even heavy vapers an entire day. With Evolv's “smart charge” chip included on the JBox's DNA boards, we can plug it in while we sleep with comfort and confidence the battery will not overcharge. This “smart charge” circuitry will stop the electricity from flowing to the battery when the battery reaches full charge. So, just like I do with my Darwins, I plug it in when I sleep and have a full charge each morning when I wake.

Other safety features included in the Evolv DNA board include (from Evolv website):
Overcurrent (short circuit protection), over and under voltage protection and a thermal shutdown.

Lets have a look at a couple more pics of the JBox alongside some other devices (shown are Darwins, Silver Bullet with extension for use with Evolv Kick and IMR 18650 battery, and a 1000 mah Ego Twist):

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

For the Watts setting, Jason uses a potentiometer adjustment on the bottom of the JBox. This requires a mini screwdriver (included) and there are notches around the periphery to help you fine-tine your setting. As mentioned earlier, the settings are from 5 thru 12 watts and the setting is easy. Turn full left to about the 7 o’clock position is 5 watts and turn full right to about the 5 o’clock position is 12 watts. Dead center –12 o’clock position – is 8.5 watts (my personal sweetspot). You can use an under-load meter to find your preferred under-load vaping volts and then fine tune your setting to taste from there. When using an under-load meter you must have an atty or carto attached (thus under-load) or the meter will not register.

Regulated Power (adjusting to watts) is pretty much a set it and forget it adjustment. Granted, some people like to change their settings but most of us know our own personal preference for our subjective enjoyable vape temperature. Those who have experience with Evolv’s Power Regulated technology already know their preferred watts settings and most of them (according to thread posts) just set it and leave it there. Using Power Regulated technology, we find our sweetspot and the DNA board does the rest. You can put most any resistance atty/cartos on the device and the DNA board will read the ohms and automatically adjust the volts and amps to provide you with your set watts level (vaping temp).

So, if you like 8.5 watts and use 3 Ohms, DNA will output approximately 5 volts and around 1.7 amps. If you leave the setting at 8.5 watts and change to a 2ohms atty/carto, DNA automatically reads the lower ohms and adjusts the power output to approx 4.1 volts and 2 amps giving you the same consistent vaping temperature level you enjoyed when using the 3 ohms. Using 2.0 ohms and higher resistance will give you access to the widest range of achievable watts settings. Just remember that while LR gear does work on DNA, it may limit you to the upper range of the watts settings. SIDE NOTE: LR gear was designed to achieve the higher watts levels obtained from using higher ohms and high volts while using basic 3.7 volt devices (thus simulating/imitating higher voltage vaping on 3.7 volts). I recommend using only IMR/High Drain batts for best results with any LR gear as LR demands higher amps and most other (non high drain) batts do not have sufficient amps push for LR gear combos. Using non High Drain batts with LR gear can result in under-load voltage drop-off and this overtaxes the batt by forcing it to perform at its max amps push for the duration of the charge cycle. Voltage drop-off is not necessarily the safest way to vape. So, back to JBox, if you like 1.5 Ohms and vaping around 9 to 12 watts, DNA (in JBox) will still provide you with the most consistent vape obtainable. However, for those who prefer the lower watts settings and/or at least access to those lower and medium watts ranges – you may be better served using 2.0 ohms and higher resistance attys and/or cartos.

Here is a picture of the recessed watts setting potentiometer:
IMAG0258.jpg

Here is a profile view of the microUSB port:

IMAG0259.jpg

Here is another view of the microUSB port along with the charge light (shines red while charging and changes to green when fully charged). Another testament to Jason’s craftsmanship is the charge light becomes visible when illuminated but undetectable to the touch (you cannot feel any change in the surface of the finish – in other words, the light is completely sealed underneath the finish):

IMAG0261.jpg

Jason also includes a wonderfully soft and fluffy 14”x15” white polishing cloth, retractable USB to microUSB charging cable and a keyring mini-screwdriver for conveniently adjusting the setting:

IMAG0262.jpg

All of this arrives in nice packaging with an easy to follow instruction sheet and all backed by JBoxshop’s 6 month limited warranty:

The Jbox comes with a limited warranty for 6 months from the date of purchase for the original purchaser, which covers any and all manufacturer defects. The battery is covered under the six month period and after the 6 months it can be changed but will have to be sent in for service. The Jbox is a sealed unit therefore it cannot be opened by the consumer and must be sent in for repair.

I have seen and held a couple of these beautiful APVs and I absolutely love them. In fact, Jason and I are already discussing wood choices for my 2nd JBox.

I cannot highly enough complement Jason’s craftsmanship. The fit and finish of the devices is absolutely unsurpassed and truly qualifies (IMHO) as Objet d’Art. The Evolv technology, again – IMHO – provides by far the most consistent vape experience obtainable and I have sold off every other (non Power Regulated) PV in my collection. While I have recently purchased a few ego Twists as backups, loaners and gifts to help others make the switch from analogs to electronic – Regulated Power is now in every other PV device in my personal vaping arsenal.

Congratulations to Jason on his new venture: Jbox Shop | Beautiful Custom Wood Devices I am thrilled he decided to make these devices. I absolutely love my new JBox and eagerly look forward to the 2nd one to add to my collection.

The Evolv DNA board was released in early May of this year. As far as I am aware – Opus (another beautiful wood PV with the same operational functions) is currently the only other commercially sold device using the Evolv DNA microprocessor. I would imagine other new Advanced Personal Vaporizers may be developed using this most consistent vape providing technology. However, Jason has certainly “thrown down the gauntlet” with his FINE craftsmanship fit and FINISH in his new JBox and, as I have yet to see its equal, I’d imagine it will be a looooong time before we see another device with a finish this impressive.

Last edited:

CyberDj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Budapest
My only question would be how the finish lasts against everyday usage. Is it something you dare to take out with you or something just for home in a non concrete environment?
We all drop things including our PVs. My boys have scratches here and ther but its ok on an SS finish. Scratched finish on a 300+ dollar wood mod would break my heart.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
My only question would be how the finish lasts against everyday usage. Is it something you dare to take out with you or something just for home in a non concrete environment?
We all drop things including our PVs. My boys have scratches here and ther but its ok on an SS finish. Scratched finish on a 300+ dollar wood mod would break my heart.
I have spoken with Jason at great length about the finish. The finish material he uses (remember 20 coats) can still be "curing" for about the first 30 days. After that time, it should be very durable. So you might want to be a bit more careful during that first 30 days. Jason says the lacquer he uses is one of the most durable finishes that can be applied to wood. However, that does not make it impervious to scratches or dings if it is dropped. Surface damage can happen, after all - it IS wood and lacquer. JBoxshop is planning to soon offer a "polishing kit" that will allow us to polish out even relatively minor (everyday use) scratches and possibly even more. Finally, Jason also told me the device can be mailed back to him for touch-up coats of finish for a minimal price. Hope this info helps.

FWIW, I have had mine for over 2 weeks and absolutely love it. I have already ordered my second one.:banana:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I have spoken with Jason at great length about the finish. The finish material he uses (remember 20 coats) can still be "curing" for about the first 30 days. After that time, it should be very durable. So you might want to be a bit more careful during that first 30 days. Jason says the lacquer he uses is one of the most durable finishes that can be applied to wood. However, that does not make it impervious to scratches or dings if it is dropped. Surface damage can happen, after all - it IS wood and lacquer. JBoxshop is planning to soon offer a "polishing kit" that will allow us to polish out even relatively minor (everyday use) scratches and possibly even more. Finally, Jason also told me the device can be mailed back to him for touch-up coats of finish for a minimal price. Hope this info helps.

FWIW, I have had mine for over 2 weeks and absolutely love it. I have already ordered my second one.:banana:

For me, right 'Brat? ;)

Singha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Paris-Fr
Just received mine and i'm very very impressed :2cool:
It is so small and beautiful, and so cool with passtrough...

I tried to make some pics but no real light (night time here) and with a smartphone, so i'm sorry for the quality but want to share :p

With other mods

With a GP Spheroid

Sides

NebulaBrot you told me you hope i will enjoy , i can tell you YES FOR SURE i really like it and already think to order another one, really a great box. :rickroll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread