DARWIN!! From EVOLVAPOR.COM – My Overview and First Impressions – Newest PRE-Production Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
Again, great write up. Not much to add! Facts are facts, and you stated them. The Darwin still is the most advanced PV in the market, and I don't see anything on the Horizon than will change that.

Some don't like the design, well I tell you it fits/feels better in your hand than the ProVari.

Adjusting the wattage was a genius invention by Evolv! Variable Power FTW!

alldayvape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
Maryland
I've had my Darwin for about two weeks now and it's as great as everyone has made it out to be. The only problem I've had is the same one I have with my provari: being unable to crank more than 4 volts into the new dual coil carts. I'm using a joker at 6v for those now. Other than that it is an amazing pv.

Yeh I use my other VV mods for the dual coils :) .. No biggie at least my other mods are getting used this way :D

Krisb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
OH
Again, great write up. Not much to add! Facts are facts, and you stated them. The Darwin still is the most advanced PV in the market, and I don't see anything on the Horizon than will change that.

Some don't like the design, well I tell you it fits/feels better in your hand than the ProVari.

Adjusting the wattage was a genius invention by Evolv! Variable Power FTW!

Nebula...great review. Said it better than I ever could have!

I agree, although I wasn't sure about how it would feel in hand, I was very surprised just how much more comfortable it was than the other mods I've tried. It doesn't look like it will feel better than a tube mod, but it does, IMO!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Really enjoying Darwin...

Lighter than expected...

Feels good in either hand.

Swing arm is great...makes this a much more ergonomic design than anything else larger than a KR-808 mini that I've used, as I'm able able to adjust the angle...it also allows for a slimmer chassis choice which fits the hand nicely :) It'd be cool if it could swing even further back to at least 260 degrees (for lefty usage), but even with the 180 degree stop, there are many different ways you can hold a Darwin in either hand for comfort and choose your preferred button finger. Love how it can lay flat when not in use and still keep your atty or tank upright.

I'm in the south so it's usually not a big deal...but you folks that live in the freezing snow...it's aluminum and Darwin can get purdy cold to the touch (as will all metal mods). We need a sheath/holster/lanyard or skin for this baby :)

This is my first mod, and I'm not one bit dissapointed. It's turning alot of atties, cartos, and juices I've aquired from junk to into treasures :)

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
It's just an observation, but the ergonomics don't look too great.

I've seen quite a bit of hype and discussion regarding this mod. I wonder if the hype will keep the mod going, or cause a lot of problems.

What doesn't look good about it? You can hold it at any height or angle, in either hand you want due to the swinging arm. If you want, you can even hold the body of it over your cheek/ear (like a headset) and push the button with your pinky and still drag off this thing.

You can load a tank and set the thing flat on your car seat...it's not going to get knocked over.

See, if you think the only thing you can do is swing the arm out full and hold it like a lolly...it feels pretty much like any other mod...but if you realize you can swing the arm...the possibilities are nearly endless. Easy to use over or under handed...in either hand, with various choices of fingers for pushing the button (thumb/index/middle)...can hold it so the body is out to the sides/angled/stright up or down, etc. What ever you want.

In some ways it's kinda like having a goose neck, but without the extra length, weight, and expense.

It's not 'hype'. I just purchased the thing and like it, and stated the reasons why.

Why would my comments lead to 'problems' ?
Everything I said is all true...every bit of it.

I've seen one or two people say they want the arm gone. Without the arm...I would not like using this mod nearly as much.

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

I've seen quite a bit of hype and discussion regarding this mod. I wonder if the hype will keep the mod going, or cause a lot of problems.

I think we're all a little unclear as to exactly what you meant. In what way would it cause problems?

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA

I don't know what part of Idaho you live in, but I am in Parma on the Oregon border. You are welcome to come by my house any time and try out my Darwin for yourself. Bring your own atty of course (unless you are a 510 carto fan).

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Well sports fans, if you read the thread.... You are gonna like THIS!!

News just in - you may have a chance to meet (sort of) the man (well, one of them) behind the DARWIN!!

If you are familiar with some of the on-line video vaping chat rooms, ElixirTV is one of the top two. This Saturday night, show host extraordinaire - DARTH OCTANE - is scheduled to interview BRANDON of EVOLVAPOR live on ElixirTV!!

ElixirTV is broadcast over stickam. So, to participate, you have to go to Stickam - The Live Community, Live Streaming, Video Chat and register for a screen name and password (free). At the stickam site, in the upper right hand corner, just below the "go live" orange oval, click on the blue "join" link. You only need an active email address and create a screen name and password. Then, at show-time: Saturday night 7/23/11 at 10 PM eastern/7PM Pacific - go to this link: Live Stream of www.Elixirtv.com - Stickam.com and watch the show!! The room is full of vapors discussing all things vape related (and some things not related too). You will see and hear the host from the center window. There are some side cam slots for room participants to go on cam if they choose. The room text-chat scrolls in the section directly below the host screen. Immediately below the host screen, there is a button for log-in. Click there and a pop-up opens for you to enter your stickam registered email address and password and you are then in the room and can type-chat with everyone else.

As I said, this interview is "scheduled" so lets just hope all goes according to the schedule. There is not an exact time for the interview but it is scheduled to occur during the 2 hour show. So, come to ElixirTV and check it out. There are shows every night. Another great and fun show is the Thursday night show "Front Porch Vaping with JD & Ole" (also at 10pm eastern/7pm Pacific); JD does DIY juice mixing. It is a fun group, sort of like a vape-meet almost every night and from the comfort of your home. Get your stickam screen-name and password and come hang out with us and meet BRANDON on Saturday night!!
:rickroll:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
i-dont-always-bump-a-thread-but-when-i-do-it-must-be-a-darwin.jpg

Just a reminder:

Well sports fans, if you read the thread.... You are gonna like THIS!!

News just in - you may have a chance to meet (sort of) the man (well, one of them) behind the DARWIN!!

If you are familiar with some of the on-line video vaping chat rooms, ElixirTV is one of the top two. This Saturday night, show host extraordinaire - DARTH OCTANE - is scheduled to interview BRANDON of EVOLVAPOR live on ElixirTV!!

ElixirTV is broadcast over stickam. So, to participate, you have to go to Stickam - The Live Community, Live Streaming, Video Chat and register for a screen name and password (free). At the stickam site, in the upper right hand corner, just below the "go live" orange oval, click on the blue "join" link. You only need an active email address and create a screen name and password. Then, at show-time: Saturday night 7/23/11 at 10 PM eastern/7PM Pacific - go to this link: Live Stream of www.Elixirtv.com - Stickam.com and watch the show!! The room is full of vapors discussing all things vape related (and some things not related too). You will see and hear the host from the center window. There are some side cam slots for room participants to go on cam if they choose. The room text-chat scrolls in the section directly below the host screen. Immediately below the host screen, there is a button for log-in. Click there and a pop-up opens for you to enter your stickam registered email address and password and you are then in the room and can type-chat with everyone else.

As I said, this interview is "scheduled" so lets just hope all goes according to the schedule. There is not an exact time for the interview but it is scheduled to occur during the 2 hour show. So, come to ElixirTV and check it out. There are shows every night. Another great and fun show is the Thursday night show "Front Porch Vaping with JD & Ole" (also at 10pm eastern/7pm Pacific); JD does DIY juice mixing. It is a fun group, sort of like a vape-meet almost every night and from the comfort of your home. Get your stickam screen-name and password and come hang out with us and meet BRANDON on Saturday night!!
:rickroll:

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
I have a Bombshell, and currently using Innovapor Ultramax. I just noticed The Darwin in stock at NHALER so I ordered one. If it operates as stated and is durable this should be the last mod I will want, or need until technology surpasses the Darwin. Not having to worry about if my cart is LR,or HR is great. The only negative I wish wasn't there is the sealed battery. I know the battery lasts a long time, but unless I can plug it in while using it to charge up some then I run the risk of needing a charge during the day and then I'm without my Darwin while charging. If it will go an entire day of my heavy vaping then it can charge while sleeping...Will see...

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I have a Bombshell, and currently using Innovapor Ultramax. I just noticed The Darwin in stock at NHALER so I ordered one. If it operates as stated and is durable this should be the last mod I will want, or need until technology surpasses the Darwin. Not having to worry about if my cart is LR,or HR is great. The only negative I wish wasn't there is the sealed battery. I know the battery lasts a long time, but unless I can plug it in while using it to charge up some then I run the risk of needing a charge during the day and then I'm without my Darwin while charging. If it will go an entire day of my heavy vaping then it can charge while sleeping...Will see...

Going all day on a single charge is quite possible but it will depend on what sort of atty/carto you run on it. Avoid the dual/triple coil stuff when you need an all-day charge for sure.

If you're often away from a power source for a really long periods you can grab a battery pack for pretty cheap these days, and some of them have enough juice to charge a Darwin several times.
Amazon.com: usb battery pack: Electronics

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
but unless I can plug it in while using it to charge up some then I run the risk of needing a charge during the day and then I'm without my Darwin while charging. If it will go an entire day of my heavy vaping then it can charge while sleeping...Will see...
15 is the lowest hours of fairly heavy battery vaping I have experienced yet. Life can depend on the atty/carto ohms/watts setting. I draw about 1.6 amps most of the time and as I said, always get over 15 hours vaping from a charge - often 18+

You CAN use it Passthru style while it charges also. Just remember the power Passes Thru the battery first. Darwin has a safety cut-off to prevent any possible over-drain. So, if you vape to the cut-off, you may have to wait 15 or 20 minutes after plugging-in to start using. You have to wait for the battery to get enough charge above the cut-off to allow Darwin to fire. At the very bottom of useable battery, you have to go easy on the vaping as you can actually vape faster than it can charge. If you do this, you can vape down to the cut-off and then have to wait again. If you find that you are finishing a battery before you go to bed (when I charge mine every night), you can easily plug in at sometime during your day to top off the charge. You can charge in a car too so if you drive home from work, you can charge and vape on your way home.

There is an extensive Darwin owners' thread (much social detour but you can easily scan to the Darwin content) over in the NHaler vender forum - only about 670 pages long. Pretty much every issue, feature pro and con has already been discussed so it is a great (albeit lengthy) resource: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nhaler/151096-darwin-evolv.html

Hope you find something in this useful.
:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread