DARWIN!! From EVOLVAPOR.COM – My Overview and First Impressions – Newest PRE-Production Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
15 is the lowest hours of fairly heavy battery vaping I have experienced yet. Life can depend on the atty/carto ohms/watts setting. I draw about 1.6 amps most of the time and as I said, always get over 15 hours vaping from a charge - often 18+

You CAN use it Passthru style while it charges also. Just remember the power Passes Thru the battery first. Darwin has a safety cut-off to prevent any possible over-drain. So, if you vape to the cut-off, you may have to wait 15 or 20 minutes after plugging-in to start using. You have to wait for the battery to get enough charge above the cut-off to allow Darwin to fire. At the very bottom of useable battery, you have to go easy on the vaping as you can actually vape faster than it can charge. If you do this, you can vape down to the cut-off and then have to wait again. If you find that you are finishing a battery before you go to bed (when I charge mine every night), you can easily plug in at sometime during your day to top off the charge. You can charge in a car too so if you drive home from work, you can charge and vape on your way home.

There is an extensive Darwin owners' thread (much social detour but you can easily scan to the Darwin content) over in the NHaler vender forum - only about 670 pages long. Pretty much every issue, feature pro and con has already been discussed so it is a great (albeit lengthy) resource: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nhaler/151096-darwin-evolv.html

Hope you find something in this useful.
:toast:

Thanks very useful information. I use my mod about 15hrs a day and during that time there is at least 3 to 4 hrs I could be plugged in...So battery life shouldn't be an issue. Though I really love the dual coil cartomizers so I don't know how much this would cut battery life, but I may start using other cartos.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
I own the Darwin now for 2 days. I have a Bombshell, Ultramax, Ego, Xpower,808s.Ok on to the Darwin. Negative first, which isn’t much. Someone above stated the adjustment wheel is sensitive to touch and you can end up changing the wattage you have set. Well yes it is and no its not that bad. Its not that common, or even something you have to be careful of and even if you do accidentally change the wattage set it is very easy to put it back. The LCD display illuminates and its no trouble to look down and read the wattage, which is always displayed. The voltage, amps, and ohms is shown after you press the button. Nice almost flush button it is right below the adjustment wheel. The unit is made out of aluminum matte black, which is easy to hold as it is slender, but long.
Now the biggest plus. No changing batteries and once fully charged it will last all day and you can even buy a USB to mini USB and use it as a passthrough as it recharges, It comes with an A/C to mini USB. The other thing, which was the big buying reason for me. I don’t have to worry about the resistance of the Carto, or Atty, anymore. It doesn’t matter as the Darwin reads the resistance (ohm) and adjust the amperage and voltage. So you can slap on a 1.7 ohm or a 5 ohm cartomizer without worrying about frying your carto. I chose to buy a 510 /Ego style adapter, which is super because you can use all traditional attys, or cartos that thread on the inside plus if you have a cartomizer like the new Ego mega cartomizers that screw onto the outside threads No Problem your covered with this adapter.
Oh..Almost forgot. There was one other small negative that kind of worried me and that was the Mini USB plug on the bottom of the Darwin was difficult to get the male end of the charger into it. Could have been a defect on the A/C usb plug and the female end on the Darwin moved ever so slightly..That should be rock solid at this price. Ok I’ve rambled enough.
These are out of stock most of the time,but just keep checking back at Nhaler and when you see in stock.. Buy IT. Don’t hesitate,or they will all be gone in a day. It is worth the money when you consider its the only one of its kind. The future of vaping is here now. I would buy it again without hesitation

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
I'm a newb vaper and I just ordered my Darwin. I shopped all over looking for a cheaper MOD that still would do what I want, but they all paled in comparison to the features provided by the Darwin. Even in my limited vaping experience I have felt the changes in vape as the battery runs down and from different cartomizers (when they are new, then broken in, then just broken).

The internal battery doesn't bother me in the least (in fact I see it as a plus). I have a fair amount of experience with LiPo batteries from my RC helicopter hobby, and there is no doubt that for the size and weight they pack a great punch.

Things to know about LiPo batteries:
1. Don't over discharge them. These cells have no "memory" like older NiCad cells. Try to keep them above 20% and you should be fine.
2. If you want to put it away for long periods of time (unlikely!) put it away with some charge in it, preferebly around 80%.
3. Lipos are capable of very high discharge rates. This is great for a device like the Darwin, where the current may have to be increased to reach the set wattage. Some RC helicopter batteries have stated discharge rates as high as 65C, though I'm sure the Darwin is nowhere near this high.
4. LiPos CAN be dangerous! Just google lipo fire and see what I mean. I'm not sure how this is addressed in devices like the iPhone and the Darwin. I always charge my helicopter batteries in a lipo sack (it's a fire-proof pouch that will contain the flames if one goes up during charge). Some of the danger is probably mitigated by it being a single cell, multi cell batts can be a problem when one cell is overcharged because the other is not coming up to voltage as fast and the charger doesn't know. This is why we always balance charge multi-cell lipo packs). Anyway, I never lose sleep when my iPhone is plugged in.

I'm sure all this is posted elsewhere in the forum, but I thought I'd share anyway. I can't wait until it arrives. I have some juices that are crying out for a little more heat and I know the Darwin will provide it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread