The Precise 18650 (P18) - First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Well last night was the first time that I have noticed a drop off in vapor production with the AW 18650 2600mAh bat. Still not sure where the cut off is, but the batt had been vaped for 29 hrs give or take. Placed it on the charger and 5 hrs later it was ready to go.

Therefore a moderate vaper can easily see themselves through a long WE with:
  • the unit;
  • 10-15ml of liquid;
  • a spare battery; and
  • a spare atomiser

HappyCamper

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Wyoming
Hey Switched, loved your review.
Just wanted to tell you guys that after 3 days with my P18 I have realized that David gave me a "special" one.
Yep, my Precise has "happy little vaping elves" in there, their job is to make me happy... yep yep yep.:p
OMG, this thing is soooo perfect and gorgeous, way smaller than I was expecting, I have small hands and it feels natural in my hands.
I find myself rubbing and caressing it (that makes the "happy little vaping elves" happy and lets them know that I care):p, it feels nice and no finger prints.
Oh, I needed batteries yesterday... ordered... 48 min. later David mailed them to me, 48 min., can't get any better than that!!!
It won't let me post my pics cuz they are already in the pic thread.
Trish
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-official-precise-picture-comment-thread.html

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I'm glad this got bumped up, it's refreshing to see a review based on the construction of the unit and not how the atomizer/juice perform. I've been eyeing a mod since I started vaping 3 weeks ago and this was on my radar from day 1.

If you don't mind I had a few questions for owners of the precise 18650. Does it require special tools to do the maintenance? How often do you need to lubricate the parts, and what do you use? Have you had any issues with threads locking or not wanting to mesh properly? Has any liquid ever entered the battery compartment?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm glad this got bumped up, it's refreshing to see a review based on the construction of the unit and not how the atomizer/juice perform. I've been eyeing a mod since I started vaping 3 weeks ago and this was on my radar from day 1.
Thanks for your kind words. This thread did fly under the radar for a bit, but I don't believe in bumping my own threads.

I am glad my review has enable you to draw the right conclusions in order to make an educated decision, without all the fanfare.

If you don't mind I had a few questions for owners of the precise 18650. Does it require special tools to do the maintenance?

This device does not require anything to do maintenance as such. The negative button contact can be removed with the flat tip of your tweezers or a screwdriver, in order to add or remove shims (spacers). From the factory the Precise line is set to go and has a button travel of 2mm.

You will receive the unit with a spare o-ring and some extra shims (no shims are fitted from the mfr). The Precise was designed around the AW battery line. IMHO it is the best battery money can buy at this time, and one that has proven to be the most consistent wrt battery specifications, especially wrt size.

No shims are fitted to the button sector (they are not required). Because the AM IMR 1600mAh 18650 battery is not protected (safer chemistry) it is a few mm shorter than the standard AW 2600mAh 18650. When utlising this battery, the extra o-ring is used to make up for the shorter battery. Adding the extra o-ring will increase the button travel, but the unit can accomodate this nicely. Should one prefer the standard shorter button travel, the addition of a couple of shims under the negative battery post will shorten button travel to your liking.

How often do you need to lubricate the parts, and what do you use?
To date, I have purposely not done maintenance on my unit. I wanted to see how long the unit can/would go without a decrease in performance. I received my unit on the 7/30 and have been using it as my main 3.7V device. The unit's performance hasn't changed over this time, nor is there any indication of oxydising at any of the contact points. The unit is shipped pre lubricated with Noalox and a re-application as yet to be conducted.

Have you had any issues with threads locking or not wanting to mesh properly?
The threads are smooth and fluid. I have had no issues with them what so ever. Only someone who is a complete clutz would be able to cross thread the unions, and that IMHO would be with some effort.

Has any liquid ever entered the battery compartment?
Nope, the battery compartment is sealed from the atty connection. The atty is slightly recessed in the connector cap where a small juice well is situated at the bottom. The positive post is a press fit to the cap, therefore rendering this well totally "watertight". Should liquid collect at the bottom a quick rinse with alcohol will render positive dividends.

When using different attys with the unit (the unit has a native 510 connection) should an atomizer leak, it will collect on the top on the unit and a quick wipe will take care of that. Becasue of the tight clearances, no liquid should be able to seap into the well unless the unit is left in an upright condition for an extended period of time, and even then because of the construction, no liquid will/can make its way to the battery housing.

I hope these clarifications were helpful. The Precise wears its name well, and wears well. Although if we look closely, the unit looks like the day I got it. It does not require any polishing as such to maintain its brilliance and is definitely not a fingerprint magnet. Normal wear and tear (ultra fine scratches) are visible up close, but that just adds owner induced character to the unit ;)

Battery longevity of the unit using the AW 2600mAh batt, is 29 hrs before a re-charge is required YMMV. But one could reasonably expect 2 days of solid vaping with a single re-charge. This unit has become the unit I leave the house with. I equip it with a fresh 510 carto and carry a spare. To date I have yet to run out of vape. For longer journeys outside the home, I simply bring extra cartos :)

Depending on vaping styles, one can see theirselves through a 4 day WE withn the following equipment only:

• the unit;
  • an extra atty;
  • an extra battery; and
  • 15ml of liquid.
Now that is keeping packing to a minimum :)

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Bravo Switched :) excellent review.

I have been contemplating purchasing a wet box. I've worked with metal for many years -- the Precise attracts me far more. Now I here David has designed a delivery system. If his quality designing and machining prowess is translated to that bugaboo, well, oh my.

Time to start saving some dough.

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
one thing that I didn't see mentioned is that you can take off the bottom button and the battery won't fall out. (this may only be with the p16 as I don't own the p18 but I assume they are the same in this aspect)
its kinda nice if you're noalox-ing the bottom 4 pronged batt contact or just doing a quick wipe down.

The P16 is now my everyday mod...and its perfect for me.
I just want my nic ..without having to worry or fiddle around to get my mod to work.
I havn't read about anyone having any issues and I havn't had any problems at all.
this ones going to last quite a while!
thanks for the review switched.

happy vaping!

Last edited:

gice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Northridge
Great review! i finally got my Pricize too!

gice-albums-misc-picture18123-imag0522.jpg

gice-albums-misc-picture18121-imag0517.jpg

Ok, so it's not the real deal. But if ya squint your eyes and shake yur head,
it looks exactly the same!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread