The Rattlesnake Effect- Why the Cheapo VV [Exception Itaste MVP] Don't Vape the Same as a Provari or DNA20D

Status
Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Just for the sake of clarity...there is a HUGE different between the terms PWM and a Pulsed Output. PWM is a function of the regulator; a method of controlling voltage. A pulsed output is just that; On-Off-On-Off-On-Off.

ALL modern VV and VW devices use PWM as a means to give us variable voltage/wattage, but not all of them have a pulsed output.

Radar nice to see you again.
You forgot to mention that while they are all using the PWM . some have filters that even out the voltage which is why the line is flat.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
This is a bunch of bull.You are telling me my vamo does not vape good because it's not a provari?. All i can say is that i can't tell the difference from my vamo and unregulated mods one bit and a lot of people on this forum agree.

Hi Jimbill could you look at my post, I didn't say necessarily that the Vamos Vape is inferior to a Provari, I said it's different. Taste is subjective, some will prefer the rattlesnake and some not.

The purpose was to point out that the PWM Mods without good filters, scientifically are different then the ones with filters.

It's the preference of the user, which is better, or if it can even be detected. But it's inarguable that the devices are not the same.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
That's misleading. Although most boost/buck converters use PWM input for regulation, the output of the main stage is a modified triangle wave, not a PWM square wave as is being discussed. There's also an output capacitor which makes the method used by the control loop insignificant to the output, so why even bring it up?

You could call it a matter of semantics. There were references to "PWM mode" and that some mods were "not using PWM". Those statements on their own are misleading as all stated devices use PWM in some fashion. Whether the mod has a square wave output or a low ripple DC output will depend on the fashion in which PWM is used.

Mike.S

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Michigan
You could call it a matter of semantics. There were references to "PWM mode" and that some mods were "not using PWM". Those statements on their own are misleading as all stated devices use PWM in some fashion. Whether the mod has a square wave output or a low ripple DC output will depend on the fashion in which PWM is used.
Might as call all devices "digital," because they have a binary on/off switch.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Most of the regulated mods fire at 33.3 hz. Some people can't hear this effect, some can. Just because YOU can't doesn't mean others can't too.

The Provari uses 800 hz as its cycle, and reportedly uses higher quality filters. Provari owners often remark about how the Provari's vape is "smoother". I have noticed this myself when compared to my other regulated mods. When I received my MVP, I was intrigued by its smoother vape, too. It wasn't until just recently that I have learned that it has a similar PWM as the Provari. Now it makes sense.

Again, not everyone will notice the difference, but many can. Don't judge those who say they can tell the difference.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I can definitely notice the rattlesnake effect on the Vamo versus the Provari. It doesn't bother me too much, but I prefer the higher PWM. What's the cycle rate of the MVP? Maybe someone said earlier and I missed it.

What about the SVD? I've been pondering getting one of those. Since I got the MVP, I may not get one, but I'm still curious.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you2.jpg ................

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I can definitely notice the rattlesnake effect on the Vamo versus the Provari. It doesn't bother me too much, but I prefer the higher PWM. What's the cycle rate of the MVP? Maybe someone said earlier and I missed it.

What about the SVD? I've been pondering getting one of those. Since I got the MVP, I may not get one, but I'm still curious.

The SVD uses the 33.3 Hz chip. I have a SID and Vamo and this afternoon I should have a SVD.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
The SVD uses the 33.3 Hz chip. I have a SID and Vamo and this afternoon I should have a SVD.
I've heard the SVD is a solid unit. You should be a happy camper.

I'm not downing Vamo but one problem with the Vamo is that there is more then one manufacturer. I've heard as many as 3-5. So there is a possibility that the Reputed Hit and Miss quality of the Vamos is because the manufacturers are generic. They all call it a Vamo.

The SVD is manufactured by Inokin. You have 1 manufacturer taking responsibility for the quality.

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Very interesting Unit. It definitely uses different technology then a Provari.

For awhile I was vaping on a box using the same technology. VariCool the way it works is that you use two batteries then the circuitry lowers the output voltage as contrasted with a provari where the voltage is boosted.

I looked at the Video and he was able to use a normal V tester to get results so it's definitely not PWM or else it has excellent filters.

The difference in your vaping experience is probably a result of the Varicool Technology and how voltage is handled. One thing I notices was that when PBusardo was testing it the Cartomizer was singing like a rattlesnake.

Buzz Pro looks to be a great unit, I would only hesitate because it's taking stacked 16340 or RCR123 battery, that I don't currently have. Also I'm a bottom feeding fool.

I say pooh to the naysayers that say it's dangerous to stack batteries. This is regulated mod with protections. IN addition it has a 15 watt limiitation so it's not going to stress out the batteries.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Very interesting Unit. It definitely uses different technology then a Provari.

For awhile I was vaping on a box using the same technology. VariCool the way it works is that you use two batteries then the circuitry lowers the output voltage as contrasted with a provari where the voltage is boosted.

I looked at the Video and he was able to use a normal V tester to get results so it's definitely not PWM or else it has excellent filters.

The difference in your vaping experience is probably a result of the Varicool Technology and how voltage is handled. One thing I notices was that when PBusardo was testing it the Cartomizer was singing like a rattlesnake.

Buzz Pro looks to be a great unit, I would only hesitate because it's taking stacked 16340 or RCR123 battery, that I don't currently have. Also I'm a bottom feeding fool.

I say pooh to the naysayers that say it's dangerous to stack batteries. This is regulated mod with protections. IN addition it has a 15 watt limiitation so it's not going to stress out the batteries.
Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to try some AW 16340's in the Buzz to see if the amp limit could be raised. But I really don't know if stacking them would be wise :D

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to try some AW 16340's in the Buzz to see if the amp limit could be raised. But I really don't know if stacking them would be wise :D
If it's AW IMR [Quallity Battery with Lithium Manganese Techonolgy] then I wouldn't worry about it. Stable battery chemistry along with a regulated mod. No Problem.

The danger is when you use ICR technology and stack. IMR slowly heat up, ICR flame out.

Lot's of counterfeit AW on market.
The Flashlight Guys who know there stuff buy from
www.lighthound.com
This is the battery you want:
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-IMR163...LiMN-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_2626.html

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
If it's AW IMR [Quallity Battery with Lithium Manganese Techonolgy] then I wouldn't worry about it. Stable battery chemistry along with a regulated mod. No Problem.

The danger is when you use ICR technology and stack. IMR slowly heat up, ICR flame out.

Lot's of counterfeit AW on market.
The Flashlight Guys who know there stuff buy from
Fenix Flashlights, Cree LED, Lithium Batteries, Lithium Ion Batteries, Li-Ion Chargers, Leatherman Multitools, Spyderco Knives and more!
This is the battery you want:
AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123 size LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery
Sweet !! You ain't lying about the fakes man. Thanks for the info. You've been great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread