Status
Not open for further replies.

passerbyeus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2009
Kentucky
I am confused, how would a honey tobacco be a variant of RY4? I could see why a caramel tobacco would be but honey? Before I go and drop over $12 just for just 10ml I have some questions :confused:... is this just nothing like a RY4 at all or something like a RY4 but just pushing the envelope here....

I haven't said "heh" in a while... mostly because I have been hung up on menthol...

On my last order of P-38 from Aroma, I received a bottle of dark honey tobacco w/ wta

If you're not shy about the wta... I highly suggest this juice to the Bounty Hunter fans... it's a 100% VG... boba's thickness... an ry4 variant more than a honey tobacco... great stuff...

The other RY4's and ry4 variants I have been buying/using/enjoying lately are Janty's Elixir and Bluemist's caramel tobacco (100%VG).

Last edited:

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
Based on Very Little MY take is :

After I "test" it I can likely give more opinions; but based on Copper Creek's description I believe it's more of a caramel/tobacco (no vanilla which to me is a component of true RY4)

Description
Our new tobacco! Created for VioletVoo. A decadent blend of tobaccos with tones of rich cream, and just a hint of caramel.

Some reviewers state "tobacco with a buttery caramel" so To ME the "jury is still out" on what it "is" and whether it's great or not

Well, I was kind of referring to the fact that while I tend to love RY4's, I haven't tried enough of them to have that much experience (about 4, I think?). So for "pro's", read "people far more experienced than myself." ;) I'm interested to hear whether you and the folks you note above would classify Voo's Broo as an RY4 (I know they vary a lot), and how it compares to some of the other offerings. I really like it, so I'll buy it regardless of classification or reviews, but knowing what you guys think, i can look at your other ratings and get some ideas of others I might like or not. I learn a lot from reading reviews (some more than others - you know some of the threads I'm talking about!)

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
i am not a pro myself but if you like Twisted TObacco and the VooDoo then yes it would be good, I think Voo's Broo was horrible and wasted money on it but that was because the tobacco base is way to much for me.....

Twisted is an "all day vape " for me for awhile now, I'm quite fond of the tobacco taste in it, Voodoo is a bit "sweet" for an all day vape (for me) but I have been known to mix some of each at times. I do vape them @ higher voltage on 3ohm Boge (or 1.5 DCC) @ 5v or so

Zombitedesade

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2011
Plymouth, uk
Anyone else tried the RAWR vapour: JY4?

It's... Unusual at best.

Vaping as usual on a reo grand with 1.5 LR Olympian 510 attys, 24mg 70/30 pg/VG.

This is a deep and dark Ry4 mix. Colour wise it's very red with a golden brown quality to it when held up to a light source. It has a deep tobacco smell to it with a sweet caramel on the high notes.

When you vape this however it becomes a quite different beast. It's tobacco strong, but not just any tobacco, distinctly dark, pipe like tobacco is the dominant flavor with a unmistakable sensation of wood or pine there also. Later on the exhale you'll see why this becomes closer to an Ry4. For all of its rich, woody and Smokey tobacco posturing, there's a overly sweet caramel in the background. But it's a wood like caramel. The tobacco has blended so seamlessly with the sweet caramel that this is far from being a dessert vape at all. It's tobacco strong with a wood like caramel aftertaste which lingers slowly before leaving the tongue completely.

This juice has no vanillia I can detect, though that's pretty common with a lot of Ry4's IMO. A notable curiosity with the RAWR JY4 though is how potent it is when vaped in a confined space. My partner has taken great delight in telling me the house now smells like her old woodwork class from her school days! Burnt, slightly musty wood shavings she suggested. I can't disagree, though I'd add it's a sweeter smell with is woody mix.

To conclude then, a tobacco heavy Ry4 which can get a little sickly over prolonged use. The over powering wood like smokiness is probably very good in a tobacco only mix, but here in Ry4 land I find it clouds what could have been a fantastic Ry4. I feel they've overdone the tobacco just a touch and the blend suffers what might have been a heady sweet mix into a slightly confused woody caramel goo.

Worth a try if you like your tobacco heavy mixes then, but for those who prefer a more crisp, fresh Chinese style Ry4 I'd say this one might not be for you. Try if you like BWB and Paradise vapes RY4, not so much if your more into janty or Joytech vareints.

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Zombite,

Since I already have considerable respect for your palate (well-earned and much deserved), RAWR JY4 sounds, well, awful, although I understand your diplomacy in not outright trashing it. All things considered, I think I'll pass on that one... I will add it and your review to The Big List, however.

andel11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Bay Area, Ca
Ikenvapes RY4 is called RY4 Gold. They sell it in VG or PG. I love the VG version but their site is still down; soon to open.
OK thanks, I don't know why I thought it was a new flavor. I got a few bottles when it first came out and I am pretty sure he was calling it RY4, so I looked at the bottle itself and mine says RY4, none of them says Gold. I guess Isaac changed the name later.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
The comments below aren’t really “follow-up reviews,” per se, but just short blurbs describing my personal reactions, contrasting how I felt about each RY4 at the time of my initial review versus how I feel about it now. I’m “grading” these (A to F like in elementary school, because that’s quick ‘n easy, and everybody gets it).

This is the third and last post in this series of updated mini-reviews, 60 RY4s all told. If you’re curious about one that I’ve missed, just ask on the thread. I’ll test it and respond with my current reactions.

As always, these are just my personal opinions, and the law of subjectivity applies. You may love a juice I hate, and loathe a juice I adore. Seriously.

AltSmoke AltLiquid RY4---This was one of the original 20 juices that began the Big List back in post #1. It was low-ranked then and remained so throughout the Big List rankings. I fear, however, that I may have been too hard on this juice (either that or it’s aged nicely). In my current opinion, AltLiquid RY4 deserves to be solidly in the middle of the pack. It’s pretty good to me now. Makes me curious as to what AltLiquid Premium RY4 tastes like. Grade: B-

BlueMist RY4---One of the weirdest RY4s ever made in the retail marketplace. That said, it’s not a half-bad juice. I don’t mind vaping it at all. It’s just a very strange RY4. Grade: C

FreedomSmokeUSA oRYental 4---Though I bought this from FSUSA, it’s actually made by FlavourArt (Italy). Described as an Italian version of RY4, it was my least favorite RY4 of all time and consistently ranked last on the Big List. What do I think today? It’s still the worst RY4 I ever vaped. Downright lousy. The tobacco base is dreadful, which makes the other flavors irrelevant, although I’m not very fond of them, either. Grade: F

Hangsen RY4---I like this now better than I did originally. Hangsen RY4 is definitely not for vapors who like kicked-up or in-your-face flavor intensity. It’s a smooth, subtle juice, and a good candidate for someone who want an all-day RY4. Grade: B+

HealthCabin house-brand RY4---HealthCabin’s house-brand RY4 was a mystery to me initially. All the right components added up to a less-than-stellar end result, as if one had cooked a stew using very good ingredients, but had forgotten to season it properly. I have exactly the same reaction today. This juice ought to be much better than it is. Too bad it’s not. Grade: C+

High Caliber Our 4---I was distinctly unimpressed with this juice originally, and back in the days of ranking the Big List, Our 4 never climbed higher than the bottom third. Guess what? It wouldn’t get a higher ranking from me today, either. Grade: D+

Hotvapes RY4---Back when I first reviewed it, this was another reject that ended up among the bottom quarter of the rankings. Happily, though, I like it considerably more today. Still not earth-shaking (nor world-class), by any means, but pleasing to me. Grade: B-

NewEraVaping New Era---This is one of NewEra’s two RY4s. I don’t remember what I thought of it when I first reviewed it, and I’m too tired today to search for the review. Anyway, it’s OK. Not a Top 10 RY4 in my opinion, but a decent effort. Grade: B-

NewEraVaping RY4---This is the other of NewEra’s two RY4s. Same thoughts, same reactions, same grade. I’m not sure I’d call NEV New Era and RY4 identical twins, but they are certainly fraternal siblings. I wish they were less similar. Grade: B-

SmokeForPennys RY4---This is another RY4 that never fared too well in my rankings, always languishing well below the midline. The problem then (as now) is that so many better RY4s exist that this one can’t really shine or move up very far, despite being a nice, acceptable, middle-of-the-road RY4. If you’re stranded on a desert island (with power) and no other RY4s, this one will keep you going. Grade: B-

TopShelfVapes RY4---Everything I just wrote about SmokeForPennys RY4 applies to TopShelf RY4. No, they’re not identical juices---the flavor mix differs slightly, and TopShelf is smoother, with less punch (which is probably because my bottle of TopShelf is 18mg rather than the 24mg version of Pennys). Another good, stranded-on-a-desert-island candidate. If you don’t have a superlative Top 10 RY4, TopShelf RY4 will do in a pinch just fine. Grade: B-

Vapemasters R4---This was one of the first RY4s I ever purchased. I liked it then, but watched it lose luster in my eyes as I vaped more RY4s, and now I find it wretched. In fairness, this juice is 18 months old and may be going bad. No longer available anyway. Grade: D-

VapeRite RY4---I never thought much of this juice and still don’t, which is shocking, since I consider VapeRite to be in the elite group of artisan juice vendors. In fact, I like it less now than I did before. Something is definitely amiss here in the flavor mix. Grade: C-

VapeRite VR4---The rich, gooey caramel in VR4 made it one of my all-time personal favorite RY4s. I have to admit, however, that the creative brilliance of other, more balanced RY4s has gradually overtaken it in my esteem. VR4 is still quite good, but I’m not sure I’d consider it Top 10 RY4 anymore. Grade: B+

VaporStation VS4---VS4 has had a hell of a journey with me. Initially, I loved it. Then I didn’t. Then I did again. What do I think of it today? I like it. It’s unusual but good. Grade: B+

VaporTalk Dulcis---Right from the start, I felt that Dulcis was one of the very best Chinese-made Classic RY4s ever sold. Refined. Balanced. Delicious. A Top 10 RY4 for sure. I still feel that way, despite the fact that Dulcis remains overpriced and often unavailable. Grade: A

VapourWorld Dekang RY4 Intense---My tiny sample of DK RY4 Intense was only enough to fill one carto, which has now finally burned out. I took apart the dead carto, salvaged the wrapped filler, then dismantled a new Resurrector and wrapped the old filler around the new coil. Not enough saturated juice left for more than about ten minutes of vaping, but’s sufficient to note that DK RY4 Intense is just like DK RY4 with extra caramel. I actually prefer regular DK RY4, but this is darn good. Grade: A-

VermillionRiver KY4---KY4 hasn’t been available long enough for a true “revisiting,” so this is merely a second look, and a confirmation of my previous opinion. KY4 is a tasty juice considered purely on its own, but that’s not the criteria here. We’re considering it as an RY4. Unfortunately, KY4 strikes me as yet another in the seemingly endless line of similar spin-offs from VR’s flagship tobacco base, Kentucky Premium Blend. When I vape KY4, my brain says Kentucky Premium rather than RY4. I think Vermillion River would have been better off using their Classic Blend as the base for KY4. Grade: C

Vixen Vapors RY4---My initial review pegged this as a good, middle-of-the-road RY4. I find no reason to change that judgment now. Well worth vaping. Grade: B

Want2Vape RY4---I was quite impressed with w2v RY4 way back when, and I continue to be impressed today. This is fine stuff, and a custom RY4 worthy of great respect. Grade: A-

Want2Vape Rock Star---Ah, the other side of the coin. Unlike want2vape’s RY4, I was never very impressed by Rock Star, w2v's supposedly brighter RY4-variant, and its low ranking on the Big List reflected that opinion. Well, either my palate has changed or the juice has improved after more than a year of steeping, because now I like it quite a bit. Not as good as w2v RY4, but definitely tasty. Grade: B+

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Since we had a brief exchange on the thread recently about custom atomizers, I figured I should report back, since I've now received the brand-new 3.5-ohm (actually, it measures 3.4 ohms) Ikenvape i06 atomizer I ordered from eCigCharleston some days ago.

I've been vaping this bad boy for two days now---no problems with break-in or anything. My sense so far is that by comparison with the regular Cisco-spec and IKV 306s I use, this i06 produces somewhat more vapor volume, throat hit with more impact, and considerably improved depth in the vaping experience. Maybe---just maybe---the individual flavor components of each juice are revealed and distinguished better, but that's subtle at best. All my 306s give me better flavor than any of my 510 atties. The i06 might take that a tad further, but not much, at least not yet.

It's wonderful to vape an atty in the mid-5-volt range. I tried it at 6 volts, and that was fine, but I don't want to pop the i06 or inadvertently shorten its life, so 5.4 volts is just fine for me. That's 8.6 watts, and a heck of a nice vape.

What's striking to me is how tight the draw is. Vapeable, but really stiff. I think I can adjust to that, but it's not the easier draw that I'm accustomed to. I read some posts suggesting that the i06s vary from atty to atty in this regard.

By the way, I chose not to buy a drip tip for the i06 (since all the good ones cost more than the atomizer itself). That need was easily solved, however. I dismantled a burned-out Ultimate Clearomizer I had lying around and salvaged the thick plastic tube. Turns out that the slightly flanged connector end of the tube is a perfect fit for the enlarged i06 body. Goes right on smoothly without binding (snug, but no problem taking it off without destroying the i06), and no leaks at all. I did use my Dremel to cut down the tube 1/4", just to make it less than XXL mega carto length. The tube takes most 510 drip tips nicely and works grrrreat!

CthulhuSaves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
Kansas
www.Call-of-Cthulhu.com
A few pages back I asked about BWB's RY4, and what people were talking about regarding it no longer being available. Well, turns out I know someone that knows the guy who runs BWB, and in case anyone else was curious, I got the short story...

Basically, a couple of the ingredients he uses to make his RY4 are no longer available. Kaput. So, instead of shopping around for alternates, which would change the flavor, he just scrapped the flavor altogether.

Like I said, short, but it's perfectly explanatory. :)

Ironically, this seems to have happened immediately after I was finally able to get my first bottle of BWB RY4, which is still steeping. I've occasionally sampled it, but either it's still not ready, or will always have that "piney" taste. I'm beginning to wish (for my wallet's sake) that there was some law that disallowed vendors from using the "RY4" name if the joose doesn't taste anything like its namesake. Variants are fine, I just wanna be warned that they are variants. You might say I'm going nutty, and maybe pine-ing a bit for the traditional flavor. ;)

CthulhuSaves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
Kansas
www.Call-of-Cthulhu.com
Hey, has anyone tried Volcano's RY4? I'm curious because one review on the website said "It doesn't lean towards fruity, nutty, or anything else in particular," which definitely caught my attention. I'm just looking for confirmation that it's a "straight" RY4, so to speak.

passerbyeus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2009
Kentucky
I hope Bill chimes in on this one.... but Ill tell you my thoughts, BWB may be traditional as saying they use only the 3, caramel, vanilla and tobacco and if your getting a off taste you may not like, it may because of the mix as a whole, the tobacco base or the certain vanilla or caramel they use and also nicotine has a taste of its own......but as traditional flavors go my favorite is from vapor......com if you can stomach the name give it a shot and let me know what you think.

A few pages back I asked about BWB's RY4, and what people were talking about regarding it no longer being available. Well, turns out I know someone that knows the guy who runs BWB, and in case anyone else was curious, I got the short story...

Basically, a couple of the ingredients he uses to make his RY4 are no longer available. Kaput. So, instead of shopping around for alternates, which would change the flavor, he just scrapped the flavor altogether.

Like I said, short, but it's perfectly explanatory. :)

Ironically, this seems to have happened immediately after I was finally able to get my first bottle of BWB RY4, which is still steeping. I've occasionally sampled it, but either it's still not ready, or will always have that "piney" taste. I'm beginning to wish (for my wallet's sake) that there was some law that disallowed vendors from using the "RY4" name if the joose doesn't taste anything like its namesake. Variants are fine, I just wanna be warned that they are variants. You might say I'm going nutty, and maybe pine-ing a bit for the traditional flavor. ;)

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
A few pages back I asked about BWB's RY4... Basically, a couple of the ingredients he [Don at BWB] uses to make his RY4 are no longer available. Kaput. So, instead of shopping around for alternates, which would change the flavor, he just scrapped the flavor altogether.

Yes, that's the story I got from various posts on ECF regarding the demise of BWB RY4. I think this will be an increasingly frequent occurrence as time goes on and the global economy goes over the falls in a barrel. Discontinuities and disruptions in supply chains. Can't get this, can't get that. Products go belly up.

I read also that Don is currently working on a new RY4-variant formulation to replace the old one.

You might say I'm going nutty, and maybe pine-ing a bit for the traditional flavor. ;)

I don't taste any nuttiness in BWB RY4, but I sure do get that cedary-piney thing. It's a characteristic undertone of the original natural extract tobacco base that Don uses for many of his tobacco blends. Some people like it. I don't. That undertone is the main reason I fell out of love with BWB RY4. To me, cedar-pine scent is fine for storage trunks and kitchen cleaners, but not as a flavor in nicquids.

I heartily agree with Passerbyeus about VB OuR-Y4. Simple. Direct. Classic. A totally delicious RY4 to my current palate. OuR-Y4 is currently #3 on my personal Top 10 RY4 list.

JeffGlenellen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2011
Boardman,Ohio
Yes, that's the story I got from various posts on ECF regarding the demise of BWB RY4. I think this will be an increasingly frequent occurrence as time goes on and the global economy goes over the falls in a barrel. Discontinuities and disruptions in supply chains. Can't get this, can't get that. Products go belly up.

I read also that Don is currently working on a new RY4-variant formulation to replace the old one.

I don't taste any nuttiness in BWB RY4, but I sure do get that cedary-piney thing. It's a characteristic undertone of the original natural extract tobacco base that Don uses for many of his tobacco blends. Some people like it. I don't. That undertone is the main reason I fell out of love with BWB RY4. To me, cedar-pine scent is fine for storage trunks and kitchen cleaners, but not as a flavor in nicquids.

I heartily agree with Passerbyeus about VB OuR-Y4. Simple. Direct. Classic. A totally delicious RY4 to my current palate. OuR-Y4 is currently #3 on my personal Top 10 RY4 list.

So glad you liked the VB OurY4 so much! Top 3,awesome :D

goodtimes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2011
OKC
So I finally burned through my stash of IKV's RY4 and come to find out that his site is down and it may be a while before he's back in business. Can anyone recommend an RY4 that is similar? Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I liked NLV's old version of Renegade and Joogler's Blend isn't bad. The list of what I don't like is much longer, unfortunately. Can't stand BWB's RY4, NLV's new Renegade, and I loathe PV's PY4. Oddly enough, I really didn't like Raffalicious either. I gather that most would put it in the same category as IKV, but it came of as extremely bland to me.

So, what's the closest to IKV's RY4?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
So I finally burned through my stash of IKV's RY4 and come to find out that his site is down and it may be a while before he's back in business. Can anyone recommend an RY4 that is similar? Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I liked NLV's old version of Renegade and Joogler's Blend isn't bad. The list of what I don't like is much longer, unfortunately. Can't stand BWB's RY4, NLV's new Renegade, and I loathe PV's PY4. Oddly enough, I really didn't like Raffalicious either. I gather that most would put it in the same category as IKV, but it came of as extremely bland to me.

Ikes site should be back any time now. His bank has ok'd the credit card status to take cards again. You might be in luck by tomorrow, maybe...?

ogredog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
fontana,Cali
I heartily agree with Passerbyeus about VB OuR-Y4. Simple. Direct. Classic. A totally delicious RY4 to my current palate. OuR-Y4 is currently #3 on my personal Top 10 RY4 list.[/QUOTE]

I didn't order our-y4 by vapor..... I tried dark and mellow its great though. I tend to stay away from "classic" ry4s I prefer earthy, smokey,more pronounced caramel ry4s.....does that mean technically I don't like ry4 lol

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Esoteric State of America

Dekang DK-Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread