• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The time is nigh; Advice on how to quit vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I quit smoking cigarettes over a year ago, and now feel it's appropriate to try to give up nicotine. I love vaping, but I hate the dependency.

I'm going to wean myself off of them and have given myself 6 months to accomplish this.

Hoping others here can inspire and motivate me. Hoping to hear some methods to assist me, psychological tips, physical strategies, etc.

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
That might take a bit longer than 6 months, depending on what nicotine level you're at. I think most people need to slowly decrease the nicotine level a few milligrams and stay at the new level for a few weeks or a month or so, otherwise it just adds more stress trying to do it quickly. Once you're at 0 mg and don't feel any cravings any more, it would be another step to break the habitual habits of vaping. Good luck. :)

OttoBahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
I've been on the 'now that am off cigarettes a year - am going to get off vaping' path for a while.

Slowly stepping down my nic. From 24mg, when I started - later 18mg - then 11/12mg, and now my most recent 250ml is at 8mg. I've promised myself - if I ever consistently vape zero-nic juice - am just going to force myself to move to Siberia (or some such foreboding place.)

rojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Johnson City, TN
Having a variable voltage pv really helps. When you drop your nic level, bump up your voltage a point or two to strengthen the throat hit. Then over the next few days reduce voltage to taste. Next juice order, reduce nic level slightly more, rinse, repeat.

Also with each nic concentration drop, try a different flavor so your vape tastes more noticeably "different" than "missing something".

Some who reduce nic over time lean on cinnamon, mint, and other flavors with more of a bite to simulate stronger throat hit. I don't, but your mileage may vary. It's another strategy to add to your playbook if you're struggling anyway.

DevilFishPhil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Montreal, QC
I have some experience quitting vaping, in fact I was the one who petitioned to have that Quitting Vaping section added to ECF...You can read my quitting story in there :D

I quit for a little bit more than a month actually, and while I was slightly disappointed that I ended up going back to vaping, there is still some good that came out of it; I used to vape 24mg of all sorts of juices and now I vape 6mg of unflavored juice.

I recently tried quitting again by vaping no-nicotine juice, and in retrospect I feel that it was a mistake. I was more frustrated about vaping with no throat hit than I was about nicotine withdrawal. Trust me there's nothing out there that will even remotely resemble the TH that nicotine gives, Flash by FlavorArt is trash, peppers, menthol, cinnamon etc, I tried them all and it's not the same.

The next time I quit, I'm not going to bother with weaning down the strength because in my opinion if you're addicted to nicotine, you're addicted, regardless of the strength and if you lower you'll end up compensating by vaping more. Instead I would try gradually weaning myself off vaping period - not vaping for 2-3 hours after waking up, not vaping after meals, not bringing my e-cig to the grocery store etc. I think that after a while of challenging yourself to not vape for extended periods of time you'll realize that you really don't need the crutch and eventually you'll be able to go a full day without it, and then 2 days, and then a week and before you know it all your stuff will end up in the BST.

My final piece of advice would be to clear out your vaping supplies - no sense in keeping the temptation lying around. Maybe keep an eGo Twist and a few cartos in a drawer in case you fear a relapse and to avoid going back to smoking.

Good luck my friend and keep us posted on your progress!

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
I applaud you! This is my (eventual) goal as well, and I've put a little thought into it. The only 2 pieces of advice I can offer are:

1) Stick to your guns. It's the same as when you quit smoking, be vigilant. If you slip occasionally don't beat yourself up over it.
2) Perhaps you could order 0nic pg/vg, and rather than use the premix 6/12/18/24 you can slowly thin it out in 1 step increments. It may not be as much of a noticeable difference when you drop %. Order double-shot flavour if you can, it costs a little more but you'll get less flavour drop. Either that or some concentrate of your ADV to bump the flavour back up.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
Oh my god. This was a running joke at a studio I worked at a decade ago, I had no clue what the reference was though...

First i love your avatar, get me to chuckle every time i look at it :D

Honestly? i get the feeling there is more of a joke then Rob Snider saying 'you can do it' as well but i am missing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread