There is no evidence that vaping can help you quit *nicotine*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
As for my 2 cents about the OP. I dont know, I feel that I dont cravea vape as much as I did a cigarette... But is it placebo or real (does it matter really) I was in a plane today and when I landed I didn't threw myself out of the airport to have a vape like I usually did with cigs.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm convinced that people generally crave vaping less than smoking simply because vapers get their nicotine spread out over the day (in general), while smokers get their nicotine in 20 or so discrete, intense bursts. A vaper would be expected to have a more constant supply of nicotine in their system, whereas a smoker's nicotine level jumps up and down repeatedly. The lack of nicotine crashes is what makes a vaper crave less.

The alkaloids in tobacco probably have an effect, too, but if that was the primary cause of the lack of cravings, I'd expect a considerable amount of WTA users to report their cravings returning.

I had/have no intention of getting off nicotine and that was not my intention when I started vaping. I wanted to stop smoking and vaping was an alternative that was, from what I found out, healthier for me. Interestingly enough in the last couple of months I noticed what seemed to be 'ill' effects from the juices that I was using that were 24mg and have started only using 12 or 18 ngs now to avoid feeling 'sickish' and I am not vaping more. I have not tried in anyway to reduce my nicotine needs so I can only assume that there is some function in the way I vape that is giving me what I need at a lower amount. Not saying that vaping is weaning me off nicotine but its interesting that analogs never seemed to give me enough let alone made me feel like I was getting too much and to cut down in some way.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Not saying that vaping is weaning me off nicotine but its interesting that analogs never seemed to give me enough let alone made me feel like I was getting too much and to cut down in some way.

Could that be because vaping isn't as irritating? When I smoked analogs, I rarely got "nico-nauseated": I would be coughing before I could get through enough cigarettes to do that. With vaping, I can easily overdo it without noticing.

Marius: if you used a patch AND vaped 0-nic juice, do you think that it would do it for you? What I mean is, was it the lack of a physical activity to along with it that made the patches unusable, or was it just the feeling of constant nicotine intake?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I am addicted to the act of smoking. Not the nicotine itself.

That sounds like me.

But it is interesting how many different responses there are here.......we all have different needs, goals, desires, different physiologies and brain stuff.

I have gotten off cigarettes which is all I cared about.

The rest is coming little by little, I am not one who will continue vaping forever as I just want freedom from it all. I have lowered my nic and plan to lower it again next month. Hope 2014 will be my deadline. Nicotine is still a vaso constrictor so I sort of want to get off it at some point.

bris1974

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2013
Wyoming
Mostly 0 mg vaper. Sometimes I'll add 2mg if I feel like it. Nicotine was a breeze to give up by vaping. Turns out that wasn't really what I was addicted to. It's the whole sensation of drawing something into my lungs that feeds my craving. Doesn't really matter if it has nicotine in it or not.

I'm kind of in the same boat. pack and half a day for 23 years. already down to 5mg in less than 60 days. I don't think for me it is necessarily the nic level but the act of inhaling the vapor.

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
In all honesty:

I don't care if there's any evidence that vaping can get you off of nicotine. I just wanted to quit smoking the things that were killing me.

It isn't nicotine I'm worried about. It's the smoking that already does have evidence that it will kill me. And so far, I've seen no studies that say it's the nicotine in the cigarettes that's posing the danger to me.

No proof that vaping is safe? No proof that vaping is safer than smoking? I don't care. I will only care when it can be proven that vaping will kill me faster or in a worse manner than smoking will.

Amen. And amen again for 10 char;)

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
From a two pad a day smoker to two months of vaping 24mg first month, 18mg for the last month, I can honestly say that I do not crave a vape the way I craved analogs. I think there are a lot of other chemicals in the analogs that are meant to keep you addicted. I do not know if I will every be nicotine free but it is a possibility, I haven't decided yet, but I do plan to remain smoke free.

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast

I have no plans to stop vaping, but I can't predict the future, maybe someday something will come out I like better. In the meantime, I'm perplexed that some people assume the possibility of living a few years longer would be enough incentive for me to give up the things I like.

You bring up a point I've pondered.. When i first started reading the forum .. the first place i went was to the juice section.. get some idea of where was the best place.. their selection.. etc.. i read about diacetyl (sp?) Not a great deal but enough to know it really shouldn't be in juice..
I read a thread where a guy was concerned about it and the first response was: "Well you weren't concerned for the longest time about the 4,000+ chemicals you were inhaling in cigarettes "

Why are we concerned? It's not that I'm not concerned about what may be in juice from vendors (though i don't want early onset Alzheimers) ...wait.. I'm getting OT from my OT post..
Point is.. for me.. i just want the vaping experience to be less harmful than smoking. I enjoyed smoking.. i wanted vaping to be worth giving up smoking.

TroyHoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Greenville MS
I vape 6mg. I drink coffee. I eat lots of bacon and fatty foods. No sugar or carbs(cept some greens). All that stuff suppsed to be bad for you LOL Last doc visit few weeks ago. Perfect blood pressure, blood test, everything was great. Lost 45lbs. Im not giving up my vaping, coffee or bacon !

I got off topic a bit there. Anyway. I quit from pack a day to just vaping xmas eve. Not had one since. Started at 18 and dropped to 12 in first month then 10. slowly kept going down to 6. Im fine with 6. I vape most of the day. If im busy and working hard im not vaping. Im not craving it either. I vape becuse I like the act of it. The drop was real easy for me. Im sure I could go to 0 but the nic does add flavor and throat hit to the juice which I enjoy.

Last edited:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I vape 6mg so not sure really how much nic I'm really getting. I must be getting some as I feel stimulated but I am also Bipolar NOS / Sub-threshold (bipolar lite to you Americans out there) and am extra sensitive to caffeine and alcohol too.

I just like the flavors, the behavior and the vapor, the mild stimulation is good too but I could probably be fine without it (or could I? - I mean I could be addcited to the nic buzz but not be aware of it.)

Anywho, it's better than fags and keeps me off them, so....

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Not sure what kind of evidence people want. For me, my own personal and very much anecdotal evidence is enough. I do not have the same cravings for vaping as I did with ciggies. However, I do still have the habit of inhaling *something*, and I quite enjoy it.

There is some research to back this up. Some interesting reading material about the topic: Nicotine Effects

Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties. However, only after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.

Very much my own unscientific opinion: If people want a healthier (edit: less harmful) vape, cut down on flavoring. Nic is probably not the most harmful substance we're inhaling.

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I wasn't planning to quit smoking, but i did. I wasn't planning to reduce my nicotine either, but i did. My tolerance dropped, so i decreased the nic concentration to match.

I needed about 3 ml/day of 24 mg/ml when i started 3.5 years ago. Now i use about 4ml/day of 8 mg/ml. I like nicotine, but it's also possible that I might be down to 0 mg/ml in another 2 or 3 years.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
* It is EASIER vaping than smoking to let nicotine pervade your life. I'm positive more people are willing to vape in bed, watching TV, etc. than they were smoking analogs. Could regular nicotine actually be making it harder?
I don't think it makes in any harder.

I think the bottom line is that if you WANT to eliminate nicotine, it will always be easier via vaping for so many reasons...
--ability to go at your own rate
--ability to get to zero and still continue your "smoking" habits
--ability to eliminate the other "stuff" that may have made nicotine more addictive by smoking
--the knowledge that you CAN go back to using nicotine if you want removes the stress

I'm sure I can think of more later.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread