The ups and downs of RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Update" wicked the RTA and it doing fine (no leaks... almost not wicking enough but that is the norm for this RTA) Doing "primer puffs" just in case. Using 65VG juice (26 ga Kanthal 3 mm ID about 6-7 wraps... around 1.2 ohms) Running 20 watts but might push it to 25 watts later.
I am getting older (60) and realize I really need to make notes (my builds, DIY juice... everything) Looked at the pre-made coils and both have small clear o-rings towards the bottom (Nautilus X and Subtank Mini) Might never figure that mystery out but just glad my RTA is doing fine ;)

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
Looks like I'm late to this party but will chime in anyway.

I use RTAs and RDAs

RTAs are great when driving, running errands, working in the garden, etc. Filling a tank can be problematic when doing these tasks. I usually take more than one in case of a wick going south, or to have enough liquid or battery power depending on how long I'll be out of the house.
RDAs are great when I'm sitting down at the computer, working, reading, etc. It's not a big deal to drip an RDA when doing these tasks.

I prefer top airflow RTAs which eliminate the possibility of juice leaking out. When driving, a leak would be a big distraction. There's an OBS Engine, a Dead Rabbit RTA, and a Zeus X in the rotation. They all have decent airflow, flavor, and cloud potential, plus they have accessible build decks and plenty of space. I also use an Advken Manta which is bottom air flow and can be a little fussy, but once I got the knack of wicking it, leaks are rare.

I would be open to suggestions for other top air RTAs similar to the above.

My 2 cents. Nothing new here.

Ed

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
If you like it more restricted, the Augvape Intake Dual is very nice. As an added bonus the 5.8ml capacity with the bubble glass is of great benefit as well.
The Juggerknot line of RTAs might be of interest too.
If you can get your hands on a Smok Tfv8 X-Baby with the RBA section for a fair price, get it. It's worth every single penny.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Looks like I'm late to this party but will chime in anyway.

I use RTAs and RDAs

RTAs are great when driving, running errands, working in the garden, etc. Filling a tank can be problematic when doing these tasks. I usually take more than one in case of a wick going south, or to have enough liquid or battery power depending on how long I'll be out of the house.
    RDAs are great when I'm sitting down at the computer, working, reading, etc. It's not a big deal to drip an RDA when doing these tasks.

I prefer top airflow RTAs which eliminate the possibility of juice leaking out. When driving, a leak would be a big distraction. There's an OBS Engine, a Dead Rabbit RTA, and a Zeus X in the rotation. They all have decent airflow, flavor, and cloud potential, plus they have accessible build decks and plenty of space. I also use an Advken Manta which is bottom air flow and can be a little fussy, but once I got the knack of wicking it, leaks are rare.

I would be open to suggestions for other top air RTAs similar to the above.

My 2 cents. Nothing new here.

Ed

Seconding the Juggerknot Mini RTA for single coils, or the 28mm Juggerknot v2 RTA for dual coils. The Mini is one of my top flavour RTAs and is a doddle to wick.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I was just re-wicking my RTA (old school E-leaf Lemo 2) and I have have really good luck with this RTA before (I like that it almost never leaks) I use rayon because it has small juice flow holes and that has also always worked well. But... every RTA is different and they all have their own "personality". Did a good job and went to fill it (has a top/side fill slot) I use a syringe with a large blunt needle and it works great (and did fine as usual) When I went to close off the fill slot I twisted it and somehow loosened the tank at the same time. Started feeling juice leaking from the seal at the bottom of the tank glass. Grabbed a paper towel and then realized the tank seals had become loose (I actually made sure they were vary snug this time) OK... problem solved (for now) no more leaks after tightening that. Went to vape it (I had done something slightly different when wicking it... wet the wick with juice instead of leaving it fluffy, putting the chamber on and the priming the wick) Tucked it in (so it wouldn't get caught in the threads of the chamber) instead of leaving the wick "fluffy" and did too good a job... it started leaking out the airflow slots.
    My point (if there is one) is that as much as I love RTAs (cheap to rebuild, gives better vape than my drop-in tanks and a really fun hobby... when things go right) they can drive you nuts! I am determined to not give up on this (I have another RTA... Silverplay that I love... best flavor ever but it tends to leak) The good news... caught this before it leaked into the mod. Ironically, the first time I built the Lemo 2 it was almost giving dry hits. Thanks for listening to my rant.
    I'm just testing my new toy, Vandy Vape Mato RDTA, with wires like Brunhilde. I bought it as I wanted an atty for work with metal sleeve in case I drop it. It's great. Wicked it bang on the first time, wicks really well (I keep turning the mod horizontally when I vape to help the wires a bit, felt weird the first day, now it's just a habit after a week). Flavor is very nice, simple single coil setup.
    I don't own too many RTA's (2 precisely and 1 tfv12 prince with rba base) but one thing for sure- at some point I experienced leaking with every single one of them, either while refilling, with the tank just sitting and doing overnight, while vaping etc.
    Mato only leaked on me once- was busy at work and somehow mod turned upside down in my giant tool pocket in my work trousers. I didn't vape for 30-40min so it could have been upside down for that long. Other than that- not even a drop at any point I've been using it, and I had it sideways for 5-10min while in bed. I think that's the way to go, at least for me

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I'm just testing my new toy, Vandy Vape Mato RDTA, with wires like Brunhilde. I bought it as I wanted an atty for work with metal sleeve in case I drop it. It's great. Wicked it bang on the first time, wicks really well (I keep turning the mod horizontally when I vape to help the wires a bit, felt weird the first day, now it's just a habit after a week). Flavor is very nice, simple single coil setup.
    I don't own too many RTA's (2 precisely and 1 tfv12 prince with rba base) but one thing for sure- at some point I experienced leaking with every single one of them, either while refilling, with the tank just sitting and doing overnight, while vaping etc.
    Mato only leaked on me once- was busy at work and somehow mod turned upside down in my giant tool pocket in my work trousers. I didn't vape for 30-40min so it could have been upside down for that long. Other than that- not even a drop at any point I've been using it, and I had it sideways for 5-10min while in bed. I think that's the way to go, at least for me
    I don't carry my RTAs (they stay at home) but yes, most leak (overnight... it was fine all day but forgot to close the airflow) sure, getting the wick(s) right is important but there are so many other factors (they all have their own issues) Anyway, when they work they are great!

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Rtas need consistency in the wicking
    U just need to adjust the amount and fluffiness of cotton with the juice thickness but.....
    What happens when the atty itself don't provide consinstency???
    That's why I don't want to buy again a slider topfil atomizer EVER again...
    If the air seal inside the tank that holds the juice is not 100% then u will have problems and leaks...
    First example a zlide atty I have ...on first week the slider became loose and since then the coils always flood just a little bit causing every coil not to be able to be Vaped with thin juices and even with 70vg I need to pump the wattage to the maximum they recommend....just Soo far it's light flooding that it's not dealbreaker and I don't bother try fix...the second zlide I have Soo far is good....
    Then my first RTA hellvape....I made a thread in the "fixes" I had to do to make it work without leaks or flooding...really it was impossible with the cotton to make it...even if pack the cotton like rock u still had leaks....and even if u didn't had leaks the vape wouldn't be good cause of the uneven juice flow on the wick...even if it seems it's ok looking at it.....aaaaaanyways
    What I learned from all the struggle of weeks???
    Better have a tight sealed tank and just fluff the .... out of the cotton if needed to wick good...but at least u will have consistency and won't leak...
    Affcourse manufacturing is not consistent also and some may have same attys like mine and never had problem....
    But for me...I try avoid slide top fill...it's not big deal unscrew a cap anyways...and changing an oring once a while it's ok....while finding the top seal rubber for some topfills it's impossible or will be in future if not....
    Anyways that's what I learned...and I am glad for the stuggle cause I learned...thanks hellvape <3

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    That's why I don't want to buy again a slider topfil atomizer EVER again

I agree. And screw top top fills have larger holes so you can fill the tank faster without a potential mess than most slide-back top fills, and you can use a bottle with a wide blunt tip. Like a yorker spout cap like this...

yorker_4.jpg

All in all I think the screw top top fill is a far better design as long as the seals are just regular o-rings you can buy anywhere. But it's not as convenient as the slide back. But the slideback has a much more limited life.

Then you have the topfill type like the Lemo 2 and the Protank 4. I call it the slide side top fill lol. I actually like those, but I don't know how long they last since friction plays and important role and seals are not able to be replaced (everything is press fitted). But the lemo 2's fill hole isn't large enough for very blunt bottle tips, that's my only complaint about it's topfill mechanism. Protank 4 is large enough.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I agree. And screw top top fills have larger holes so you can fill the tank faster without a potential mess than most slide-back top fills, and you can use a bottle with a wide blunt tip. Like a yorker spout cap like this...

yorker_4.jpg

All in all I think the screw top top fill is a far better design as long as the seals are just regular o-rings you can buy anywhere. But it's not as convenient as the slide back. But the slideback has a much more limited life.

Then you have the topfill type like the Lemo 2 and the Protank 4. I call it the slide side top fill lol. I actually like those, but I don't know how long they last since friction plays and important role and seals are not able to be replaced (everything is press fitted). But the lemo 2's fill hole isn't large enough for very blunt bottle tips, that's my only complaint about it's topfill mechanism. Protank 4 is large enough.
    That Vandy Vape Mato has a side injection filling system, I have to say it's pretty convenient, need to take the top cap off to fill it though and need to use thin tip bottles. The tip goes through a seal in the fill hole- even if you overfill it won't leak as juice will simply go up into the juice well and you can clearly see it without the cap. No mess, haven't had any accident while filling.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 25, 2013
    Taxachusetts
    Presently deciding what coils to put in the Juggerknot.
    Update please - What coils and how do you like it?
    More, less or same airflow as a Zeus X?
    I have a black JuggerKnot V2 on the way.
    It's over twice the price of what I usually use but it'll sell easily enough if I don't like it.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    Update please - What coils and how do you like it?
    More, less or same airflow as a Zeus X?

Advanced Vape Supply Quad core 30x4/36 wire, 3.0 mm dia, 6/5 wraps fit the build deck perfectly. they came out to 0.36 ohms each.

Slightly less airflow than the Zeus X but more than adequate for a deep direct lung hit. At 55 watts this setup produces a vape that is pleasurably warm. At 70 watts, the temperature gets to the limit of my comfort level at the end of a hit. Your mileage may vary. The flavor is true with familiar flavors.

Excellent quality throughout. The only slight annoyance is the fill cap. The quarter-turn to remove it is a nice feature, but the cap is very tight and must be turned clockwise to remove it, which feels backwards and makes you stop and think about it when you want to remove the cap. When tightening the fill cap you have to hold the body with your other hand to avoid unscrewing the tank from the mod. No refilling this tank while driving. (not that I ever would.)

Overall, the Dreadknot has made the cut to be in my daily rotation, after an OBS Engine and the Engine Nano, and before an original Dead Rabbit RTA, and the Zeus. For some reason, the Zeus is the least preferred, though I can't say anything bad about it.

• Informative
    Reactions: Mowgli

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    All Hail The Emperor of Leaks, Showerhead I

Tanks leak.
    Leak at will, leak often, leak prodigious quantities of juice. Leak to the point of carrying bottles of juice just to replace what leaked out. Leak enough to take the finish off mods. Leak, leak, leak.

I used to believe that if I got my wick juuusssttt right all would be well. Nope.
    Turn the tank upside down and burp it. Nope.
    More VG. Nope.

Then, a flash of light! A tank appeared, the mighty Zeus X.

Fill it to the brim, wick it however, never a leak.

@vaper1960 I shall relinquish my throne to you.

• Winner
    Reactions: Mowgli

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I have struggled a lot even tho I am only few months into vaping and rtas...
    But there are many rtas with bottom airflow that won't leaks at all if wick correctly but must make sure first that they seal good....
    I decided lately I will never buy an rta with sliding topfill mechanism...and also I will be very carefull how the filling mechanism works...
    Usually it's the spot that they won't make good seal cause the rest parts of the tank that hold the juice it's usually the orings on the glass that screw on the body so they seal good...
    About the Zeus x rta that I bought recently and like it so much...guess what :p I had problem with that also...
    Not leaking but over saturation to the coil and a little flooding that would be leak if it was bottom airflow...
    The top fill caps oring was thinner for some reason and stretched.....soon had to swap it the first 2 days I bought the atty with one of the spares...
    Soo the point is that we must pay attention and check that stuff or else nothing will work no matter how u wick it :p

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Then, a flash of light! A tank appeared, the mighty Zeus X.

Fill it to the brim, wick it however, never a leak.
    That's good to know. I don't carry my RTAs around (they stay at home) and a minor leak is no big deal... but if it leaks enough and I don't catch it in time (and "pisses" all over my mod) I will freak out. Awhile back, I re-wicked my Lemo2... cut the wick tails a bit short, got a "dryhit" and overcompensated (hard primer puffs with the airflow closed) Leaked all over! Recently put a new coil and wick... nailed it (no dry hits, no leaks, perfect vapor) Never rush a build (or even just a re-wick) That's when I make mistakes. But... sometimes you do everything right and crap happens. I might give my Silverplay another try (it's very different how it wicks) Tends to leak but someone gave a tip that might solve the issue. When it does work, it has outstanding flavor!

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Soo the point is that we must pay attention and check that stuff or else nothing will work no matter how u wick it :p
    Yes! When you first get a RTA, take it apart and look at every 0-ring (not for damage... just memorize where every 0-ring goes) Prevents mysteries later on. Same for every tank too... even drop-in coils (went to clean/dry and put a new coil in and this mystery 0-ring appeared... finally found out it came off the old coil and stayed in during rinsing... fell out while drying) If I had looked at the old coil (and had remembered what 0-rings they have on them) would have caught this.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My Kayfun 5 clones and Lemo 2 really don't leak. Maybe a little weeping on the Lemo 2 sometimes. Both are topfill.

One of the Kayfun 5 clones leaked right out of the box but that was because the cap o-ring was the wrong size (too small so when stretch it was too thin to create a proer seal). Replaced = no leaks.

As far as remembering what orings go where, for some RTAs like older Taifuns and Kayfuns (all clones) that use regular orings, not prorietary seals, I made a text file one what sizes of orings go where (often factory provided sizes are not the best size to use). Printed out and put in a folder.

I can't remember my age most of the time. Oring sizes? Yeah right.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread