Silverplay RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I thought I would share my experiences with the Silverplay rta (good and bad)
First I want to say that this can be tricky to work with. I don't recommend it as your first rta.
The reason I posted this is because vapordna is having a 40% off all sale items. That means you can get one for around $10. (use code EXTRA40):
https://vapordna.com/collections/sale?q=&hPP=48&idx=shopify_products&p=2&is_v=1
I have two of these... one for MTL and one for RDL. I have learned so much and really enjoying both of them. When you first get it, be careful with the chamber (barrel) that has the juice slots. It's very hard to get off (when you go to put it back on, put a little juice on the inside (bottom) to help it slide over the o-ring) To remove it, leave the top part on! It threads on/off and if you distort the chamber at all it won't screw back on. Twist clockwise and pull (rubber gloves help) Once it's off, you can unscrew the top. Also, the screws that mount the coil have "rounded" underside (don't ask me why they did that) You can only use simple round wire or simple single core claptons. Any fancy wire/coils will be hard to mount. You have to bend the wires around the screws as you tighten (try to do this clockwise) Now for the good news... it has three airflow inserts (small holes for MTL, large holes and slots for RDL, or you can leave it open with no insert for max DL airflow... I would do that myself) It has bottom airflow slot too (decent amount of airflow wide open) Depending on the ID of the coil, you adjust the juiceflow slots to match (2.5mm close half way, 3mm close 1/3, larger maybe wide open) I use the vertical slot method... haven't tried the "V" slot (don't think it will work as well) You have to wick it, raise the "tails" as you put the chamber on (pre-set the slot before) Push the chamber down so slots line up with the wick tails (it's OK iof you mount the coils at a slight angle, just line up the slots to match) Put wick ends into slots, screw top on (loosely), then trim wick tails (about 2mm... they may "sag" once you wet them with juice) They are going to touch inside of tank... can't be avoided. I like to use rayon because of this. Now unscrew top and prime coil/wick (make sure the wick tails don't pull back in!) Screw top back on (fairly firm) Screw on tank, fill (not all the way) and screw on top cap. Wait a few minutes and enjoy (very good flavor in my opinion) Right before putting it on your mod, adjust airflow (hard to do after without causing the tank to unscrew)
OK, I have probably scared you out of trying this RTA, but hopefull using my tips, you will enjoy it as much as I have. Take a chance... spend $10. When you go to re-wick, make sure to rinse out the airflow insert well and blow air to help it dry. Good luck.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I leave the juice control "sleeve" off. Gives a little more capacity.
    Using a 3mm coil gives enough wicking to fill the chamber juice slots.
    I thought it's an easy RTA to build.
    Picked up a couple more at VaporDNA.
    Has anybody found replacement glass?
    FT has discontinued them.

Last edited:

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I leave the juice control "sleeve" off. Gives a little more capacity.
    Using a 3mm coil gives enough wicking to fill the chamber juice slots.
    I thought it's an easy RTA to build.
    Picked up a couple more at VaporDNA.
    Has anybody found replacement glass?
    FT has discontinued them.

Someone has a bubble glass on order they think will fit.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I would say 3,5mm for wide open juice slots (either way, yes, if you are going to leave it open you don't need the outer sleeve at all) It comes with an extra glass... do you have the "dropsies"?
    3.5mm may work better for claptons, but 3mm works fine for me with round wire.
    Haven't dropped a mod in 6 years, but still like to have extras. You never know.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    My Silverplay (on the left) looks different... o_O
    JnMGNpBl.jpg

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Even though I used the airflow insert with the small holes (for MTL) with a simple hand wound coil (26 ga 3mm) and it worked great, it does tend to clog with juice after awhile (I rinsed it well when re-wicking) this time I'm using the larger hole (even for MTL) and just closing down the outer airflow... will post results on how that works. Rebuilding both tomorrow with simple claptons (3mm pre-wound 6 winds spaced) one I will subtract half wind, the other add half wind. The main reason I chose these over many other MTL RTAs is I like very loose airflow... too bad, many others I really wanted to try (have a long thread on that)

Reactions: puffon

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I rebuilt both of my Silverplays today (3mm simple claptons, one 5 1/2 wraps, one 6 1/2 wraps) The silver (SS) one had issues with leaking before, the black (gunmetal) did not leak before. I used rayon wicks, stuffed tight in coils and closed juice slots 1/3 down) Same thing... silver leaked and black didn't leak. Not sure what's going on... don't think it was my fault (I know, that's what everyone thinks) Must be an issue with the silver one. Won't be getting anymore (besides, moving on tho top air DL RTAs)
    BTW, the pre-would coils were wound counterclockwise (not what I would choose) and had to be very careful tightening the screws (after bending the coil leads around screws) Worked OK, but I will just wind my own from now on.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I searched for info on these awhile back and found nothing,glad a thread opened for it. I have bought 5 now and really like them. My only complaint is a short(?) 510. My Radius wont read it. Fits good on the Solo and ive gotten used to the odd to me building.
    I'm so glad you mentioned this. I also have trouble getting my good mod to work with these... the center pin on the 510 doesn't contact the mod well. I tried loosening the screw a bit (which worked but was a disaster.... the positive post came loose and shorted out) Works fine on my other mod. Someone gave me a tip so solve this... a "heatsink" adapter with adjustable center pins (top and bottom) will post link when I find it.
    Have you had any issues with leaking? Curious what coils you use.

Reactions: Breezy Dawn

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm so glad you mentioned this. I also have trouble getting my good mod to work with these... the center pin on the 510 doesn't contact the mod well. I tried loosening the screw a bit (which worked but was a disaster.... the positive post came loose and shorted out) Works fine on my other mod. Someone gave me a tip so solve this... a "heatsink" adapter with adjustable center pins (top and bottom) will post link when I find it.
    Have you had any issues with leaking? Curious what coils you use.
    Ive been making Kanthal at around 1ohm. I close the air down to about a third and get decent mtl. For the price i like it alot.
    I have not had a single leak using 3mm coils and cotton.
    I may pick up a few of those heat sinks,that sounds like a good plan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread