Status
Not open for further replies.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Here is the MVP I was talking about before with some switch trickery.

I got some light touch thin tact switches a while back thinking to use them in a pipe build for a lip activated switch. Then I got playing around with an old MVP case, dna, and some 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc sheet.

I have too many projects going on right now and I can't find a battery solution that I like so I have put this project on the back burner for now, but I wanted to show what I think actually turned out and works pretty dang good.

Here is the tact switch I used - EVQ-Q2B01W Panasonic | Mouser

Here is where I got the 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc - Chrome, Stainless items in Pillar Covers store on eBay!

I epoxied the tact switches in cutouts in the MVP case so the top square portion of the switch was even with the outside of the case, and the little rubber activator nub stuck out proud just a hair.

Then I cover it with the 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc.....and magically the switches are gone. You can just barely feel the nubs with your fingers, and can typically find them without activating the switch.

Here it is in action

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
In light of Bap's research on resistance of bat holders I wanted to upgrade the Weekender to a lipo, and decided to beef up the 510 connector while I was at it.

One thing I have come to realize is that the various components need to be easily replaceable.
So I decided to attach the Lipo using EC2 connectors. Nice short 2mm diameter pins good for up to 10A with 20g wire.
DSCN0596-1_zps4726d3ed.jpg

I used a 5700mAh Lipo and attached the EC2s to make it easy to replace the bat in the future.
I used two 3.4A strap fuses in parallel to round out the deal, I love how flat they are.
2291879-40.jpg

DSCN0596_zps1f20c940.jpg

I really like the Chi bottlecaps so I decided to try something new. I drilled out the center pin with a #50 drill bit and then soldered an EC2 pin into it.

DSCN0598_zps9ac571b5.jpg

Did the same thing with the brass nut using the opposing style pin so that I cant hook it up backwards.

DSCN0602_zps9f25db4f.jpg

Soldered the mating pins to the wires in the mod.
So now both the battery and the 510 have quick disconnect pins on them, making replacements and upgrades easier.

Last edited:
So now both the battery and the 510 have quick disconnect pins on them, making replacements and upgrades easier.
Awesome mod. Chiming in for the first time after endlessly lurking since I'm about to build my 2nd DNA mod after catastrophically messing up the first one.
I was wondering if adding those quick disconnects would create a significant voltage loss or if it would be negligible?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Awesome mod. Chiming in for the first time after endlessly lurking since I'm about to build my 2nd DNA mod after catastrophically messing up the first one.
I was wondering if adding those quick disconnects would create a significant voltage loss or if it would be negligible?

I will solder some pins tomorrow and take some resistance measurements.

They are gold plated connectors so I think the voltage drop will be negligible as long as the solder joints are good. These connectors come out of the R/C realm where they have been paying attention to high current voltage drop for a quite a while now.

They are gold plated connectors so I think the voltage drop will be negligible as long as the solder joints are good. These connectors come out of the R/C realm where they have been paying attention to high current voltage drop for a quite a while now.
Good to know looking forward to your results, 'cus I might be copying you
Thanks

I also use the 2mm bullet connectors in one of my DNA mods. No noticeable voltage drop compared to direct solder.

Great, adding to what I thought was a complete parts list. Lol, I gotta stop reading the forums

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Well, Bap was right! After I cleaned my workbench (finally) this morning I measured the resistance of the new Lipo vs the old FT Bat Holder.

Lipo (including bullet connector) = 28mΩ
FT Bat holder (directly at PCB) = 72mΩ

It will be interesting to see how long this 5700mAh Lipo lasts compared to the higher resistance 5800mAh Panny PDs in the Bat Holder.

DSCN0606_zps6a81bedf.jpg

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
As promised:

All tests were done on a 1 foot length of 20g wire. The test leads measure .4mΩ.

Straight wire, no joint:
DSCN0609_zps7db9c360.jpg

Wire with a solder joint:
DSCN0607_zps74028b8a.jpg

Wire with the EC2 bullet connector:
DSCN0608_zps9918a7e0.jpg

Based on the above I suspect that each solder joint is 1.4mΩ. Since there are two solder joints, one for each end of the bullet, it doubled the added resistance. Nonetheless, I will take the 1.4mΩ hit in exchange for the convenience of the quick disconnect!

This has me wondering about testing solder now..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread